(Topic ID: 246704)

Coil and switch work in test, not in game?

By Carl_694

3 months ago

Topic Stats

• 6 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 months ago by robertg130
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 3 months ago

I was feeling somewhat confident in my repair skills until I came across this situation in my Shadow. It has a single drop to the battlefield that isn't rising during gameplay. CPU is throwing the code to check the switch and coil. Both test fine in test mode. The drop will raise and lower, and the switch registers properly in test. Anyone know how that's possible? I pulled the mech and cleaned it to be sure it functioned smoothly. Now getting into the schematics and assume it must be a CPU chip issue?

#2 3 months ago

Definitely not working during game play ?

I'd try a different ribbon cable between CPU and driver board, before tearing into the CPU.

LTG : )

#3 3 months ago

Just to keep eliminating things.

The switch. In Tests - Switch Edge , when you close it, does the correct switch report on the DMD ?

#4 3 months ago

Yep. Switch tests show the correct one (55). I've also already replaced all ribbon cables (preventive maintenance a while back as the existing cables were getting "crusty") and think we can rule the new ones out bc they've performed well since. I am of course loathe to tear into the boards on a goose chase, and so decided to try a factory reset for "fun." Curiously, the issue didn't reappear in the subsequent several games, so I'm thinking about burning some new ROMs to see if that is a long-term solution. Usually the issues with these mechs are mechanical, but maybe I was too focused on that and thus overlooked this possibility. Maybe?

#5 3 months ago

I wondered about a factory reset. Clear garbage out of memory.

ROMs - legs clean ? sockets good ?

#6 3 months ago

This is a corrupted rom
A factory reset fixed the problem(or taking out batteries)

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
Pin Mods
$ 12.00
Playfield - Other
Slap Save Creations
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Renaissance, FLORIDA

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside