4 months ago

Topic Stats

• 15 posts
  • 10 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 months ago by Rarehero
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Which vignette did you like best?”

• The Ballad of Buster Scruggs 23 votes
      79%
    • Near Algodones 0 votes
    • Meal Ticket 1 vote
      3%
    • All Gold Canyon 3 votes
      10%
    • The Gal Who Got Rattled 2 votes
      7%
    • THe Mortal Remains 0 votes

(29 votes)

#1 4 months ago

Interesting western anthology with a classic Coen brothers touch! Just sayin'.

Vote for your favorite story in poll above. YIPPIE KI YI YAY!

Available on Netflix and at select theaters.

#2 4 months ago

Always got time for anthology...coens are sort of ooff & on for me though

#3 4 months ago

It opened strong, but then slowed down fast. I did enjoy Buster Scruggs, All gold canyon, and the gal who got rattled the most. The mortal remains seemed like it was really trying to make a point, but ultimately failed. Near Algodnes was ok. And meal ticket just bored me. Thought they were going to draw out his decision a bit longer. Meal ticket was the only one I wanted to end sooner. Overall 4/5 stars for me. I love westerns and the Coen brothers so was an easy win. My only critique is that starting with Buster Scruggs, I thought I was in for humor and song like O Brother. So, that expectation caused me and my kids to struggle on the next one because we didn't realize how somber the rest of the show was going to be.

#4 4 months ago

Buster Scruggs was great. The rest were just meh. It started out so strong with buster. I really want a whole movie of buster Scruggs. That would be amazing haha

#5 4 months ago

Tom Waits knocked it out of the park in All Gold Canyon

#6 4 months ago

It was a lot better than I expected....at least there was no kidnapping in this one.

#7 4 months ago

The beauty of this collection for me is the quirky richness of the characters portrayed, the varying twists in the stories, and the grandeur of the western settings. All presented with the distinctive camera perspectives, writing, and editing style of the Coen brothers. While the opening Buster Scruggs tale can be more easily enjoyed for its cartoonish manner, it's the darker tone of the other stories that really drive home the cruel reality of life in the "Wild West".

I agree that the initial impact of this anthology might have been improved with the stories delivered in a different order, but like a great pinball collection, final appreciation of it is derived from the unique strengths that each element adds to the whole. As such, I feel this film is a winner rather than just another "Pan shot!".

#8 4 months ago

I’m watching it right now. Enjoyable as hell.

Up to 3rd chapter with Liam Neeson

#9 4 months ago

Dog hole

#10 4 months ago

Knew about the concern with these in real life, but that was a first in a movie for me that I can recall.

#11 4 months ago
    Quoted from Tuna_Delight:

Knew about the concern with these in real life, but that was a first in a movie for me that I can recall.

PAN SHOT!!

#12 4 months ago

The last clip was poor but all the rest were good

#13 4 months ago

I voted meal ticket. Funny thing is when recounting a few of the stories that one stuck out as the most funny to others that had not seen it yet.
    Watching it the first story of Buster had me rolling - wife hated it. Only other one the kept my attention was the gold miner which had a good twist.

#14 4 months ago
    Quoted from HOOKED:

I voted meal ticket. Funny thing is when recounting a few of the stories that one stuck out as the most funny to others that had not seen it yet.
    Watching it the first story of Buster had me rolling - wife hated it. Only other one the kept my attention was the gold miner which had a good twist.

Interesting (Meal Ticket seeming to be funniest and your wife hating Buster Scruggs).

#15 4 months ago

Loved it. At first I was a bit shocked at the difference in tone (romanticized Hollywood westerns) and content (the true cruelty of life in the West & Coen nihilism) ...but after watching it again, I really love the movie as a complete piece. Buster & Gold Canyon are my favorites.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 199.99
    Lighting - Led
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 29.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 50.00
    Lighting - Led
    Rock Custom Pinball
    $ 29.99
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 9.95
    $ 24.00
    Playfield - Other
    Pin Monk
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 175.00
    Lighting - Interactive
    Professor Pinball
    $ 19.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 29.99
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 399.99
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Top-Notch Target Shields
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 7,199.00
    Pinball Machine
    Operation Pinball
    $ 40.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 9.95
    Playfield - Protection
    ULEKstore
    $ 59.99
    Hardware
    Chroma Pinball
    $ 22.00
    Electronics
    Yorktown Parts and Equip
    $ 199.99
    $ 15.00
    Playfield - Plastics
    Bright Lights Pinball
    Various Other Swag
    Third Coast Pinball
    $ 150.00
    Lighting - Interactive
    Professor Pinball
    $ 22.00
    Hardware
    The MOD Couple
    $ 35.00

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside