New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 254214)

Coding Pinball Machines. Lets talk shop

By TechnicalSteam

1 year ago

Topic Stats

• 9 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by TechnicalSteam
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider technicalsteam.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 1 year ago

Years and years ago I remember someone showing me some of the funny things Williams developers would put in the code and fun easter eggs.

Then a great man introduced me into the wonderful world of modding sounds for games.

I've done some initial digging around in this system and that wanting to see the code. Figured Stern, JJP and Spooky tech guys could benefit by sharing the code with the end users in a way that won't piss off their bosses. Sign up form giving them a sense of security and not disclosing trade secrets.

I know there are some Hombrew pinball circles but wouldn't it be cool if you could leverage some of what Stern's done and make a VR game.
    Build out the rules and test your machine using something very similar to what is in the industry now.

Most of us don't have time to create our own system and much of what was out years ago just isn't up to today tech stack. The VR pinball systems just
    don't seem very optimized for 2020 machines.

What could I or my kid be doing to get up to snuff for coding at Stern, JJP or ?. Seems to me it would be in their best interest to have a point
    of entry for Developers to showcase their skills using established systems. Shoot if I was stern I'd sell a developer toolkit to folks for Home Use only.
    Stern could have an army of free bug fixers..

#3 1 year ago
    Quoted from LTG:

And an army of people releasing updates that do things like kill the game, lock on all coils and burn them up, all kinds of problems with licensing, etc. etc.
    And warranty for all this on Stern ?
    No idea why manufacturers don't give access to their code. It would be a hoot.
    LTG : )

Apparently you know nothing of modern day coding practices. That is not possible with a central code repository, pull request and user test.
    That is how the web you see here is built. Once in a great while things break but not very often. Good code is easy to maintain and develop.

#9 1 year ago

I will take a look at Multimorphic Pinball P-3-Roc. The company I work for is pretty cool and may fund some tinkering if I can put in some IOT or API hooks for a Vanity project.

Stern needs to do something similar with Spike. I mean they have huge deck of cards they could monetize and really grow this hobby. If I could build out my own game, have a limited run of completely open source / cloud managed rules bug fixes and mods that would be epic. Of course you do run the risk of some homebrew stinkers but there are plenty of collectors and supportive people in this industry that welcome NEW.

I am though a little happy stern hasn't done the add on thing as well as they could.
    Like tired of that Cheap Plastic target on GOTG. Want to add a drop target to make game more
    interesting you can for 350. Just plug it in using our simple Node board system.

Or shoot you didn't really want to Wonakavator right now but wanted to add it later. Give us 350 and
    you can add it your damn self. Or pay your friendly nieghborhood JJP guy to do so.

Or hey I'm a mod vendor. Who'd love to add a bit of an interactive dohicky that should of been there in the first place.
    I could pay Stern 1000 buckaroos for a Spike developer kit. (Lil work on sterns side ) create a means for vendors
    to add functionality to code. (Here is where shit goes south ). Now I have a fucking spinner that triggers a automation
    event. Or shit lets intergrate a Network play option with video so we can do head to head NBA fastbreak shit with Jurrasic
    Park and my nephew in Aussie play virtual JP.

You get the idea. New crop of Pinball folks much smarter and want customize and DIY. Would make for some interesting customization, inspire creativity and start getting the industry ready for 2020 crop of engineers and developers.

Just going to cry and buy more 90s games when folks start making Captain Underpants, Dogman, and Pokemon games.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 79.99
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    PinGraffix Pinside Shop
    $ 24.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    PinWorlds
    $ 7,599.00
    Pinball Machine
    Classic Game Rooms
    $ 36.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    $ 12.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Flashinstinct
    Playfield - Plastics
    Pinball Mod Co.
    $ 25.00
    Magazines/books
    Just Pinball
    Playfield - Other
    Rocket City Pinball
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 76.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    Playfield - Other
    Rocket City Pinball
    $ 99.00
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 7.00
    Electronics
    APB Enterprises
    $ 19.95
    Playfield - Protection
    SilverBall Designs
    $ 369.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 84.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 24.25
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    The MOD Couple
    Lighting - Interactive
    Pinball Z
    $ 34.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    COINTAKER.COM
    $ 30.25
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    The MOD Couple
    $ 29.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 119.99
    Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
    FlyLand Designs
    $ 3.00
    Various Other Swag
    Project Pinball Charity
    $ 6,599.99
    Pinball Machine
    Pinball Pro
    $ 34.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    pinballmod
    $ 9,500.00
    Pinball Machine
    Classic Game Rooms
    $ 100.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    G-Money Mods

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider technicalsteam.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside