Topic Stats

• 21 posts
  • 9 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by Chrlbrwn88
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 4 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_20140926_225909_839.jpg
IMG_20140926_225825_940.jpg
get-attachment (1).jpg
get-attachment.jpg

#1 4 years ago

Looking for any cocktail pin except Roy Clark within easy driving distance of Richmond, VA. Let me know what you've got, how much, and where.

#2 4 years ago
Quoted from bingopodcast:

Looking for any cocktail pin except Roy Clark within easy driving distance of Richmond, VA. Let me know what you've got, how much, and where.

WHY????

Just Kidding.....Good luck with the search.

#3 4 years ago

Space constraints (10 full size is my limit) and I'd like a beer table that has another function.

#4 4 years ago

Oh, and I'll be at York if anyone wants to haul one up there.

#5 4 years ago

Space constraints (10 full size is my limit) and I'd like a beer table that has another function.

Seems like a cocktail pin would be cool to have in a gameroom. I'm also wanting one to have as a functional table. Being that I see them far less than cocktail arcade games, I'm probably going to get an arcade one at some point.

#6 4 years ago

Projects are fine bump (I'm not scared).

#7 4 years ago

It's been about 24 hours, so another gentle reminder that yes, I am still looking.

Any manufacturer, year, make or model. Working or no. Complete and dead and somewhere a couple states away from VA? I'll come get it.

Oh, and Rotation VIII is too big for my space.

#8 4 years ago

Weekend is over bump - York will be here in two and a half weeks! Wanna make some space? Bring your working or non-working cocktail and I'll buy it. Everybody wins!

Live in a state surrounding VA or even in VA itself? I could make a road trip!

Cash is king, or so they say.

#9 4 years ago

I'm just a road trip away.

get-attachment.jpg
get-attachment (1).jpg

#10 4 years ago

Google sez about 8 hours one way. I was hoping that York would be closer, but it's about 7 hours.

In my experience, going to KY is about 8.5-9 hours, and your state would be a bit more.

18 hours of drive time is a bit much, possibly. Depending on how long I'm looking, it could work out, though!

#11 4 years ago

Yep, eight hours is about right. Good luck with your search.

#12 4 years ago

I know several people that are probably traveling right through Springfield from Illinois to go to the York show. Pick up could be done. PM me if you want to explore this option. Thanks

#13 4 years ago
Quoted from Ballypalooza:

I know several people that are probably traveling right through Springfield from Illinois to go to the York show. Pick up could be done. PM me if you want to explore this option. Thanks

That would be up to Nick. I am about five minutes off of I-70. Easy in and out.

1 week later
#14 4 years ago

This may be more of a response than you're looking for, but below is my review of Caribbean Cruise cocktail pinball that I posted a few days ago (although I'm not sure you can see it because it is my first review). I looked for over 4 years before finding my machine. I'm a big fan and would highly recommend either Caribbean Cruise or Night Moves. Good luck!

Bottom Line Up Front – This machine is a niche machine that has replay value. It draws your attention due to its uniqueness, but holds your attention because it has really good play. I highly recommend it.

I started looking for a Caribbean Cruise several years ago when I read that it is the best of the cocktail pinballs. Night Moves, also by Gottlieb for International Concepts, I read is almost as good and also very good. The rest of the cocktails suck. Or so I hear.

After four years of looking I bought Caribbean Cruise having never played it. To be honest, I’d never seen one in person. After all, only 377 were made (I bought #102). Some portion of those made were trashed because they did not make money. The rest were stored because they did not make money. If you can find the latter, which I did, you have a very good buy.

I read that Gottlieb System 3 machines are “bullet proof.” Judging by the fact that all I had to do was replace some fuses in a machine that had been in storage for over a decade and now works perfectly, I believe it. Add some polish and LEDs and it is truly beautiful.

Play… No pinball machine is worth a darn if isn’t a fun play. Caribbean Cruise is fun! Surprisingly, it actually plays almost like a full-sized pinball, and I mean that as a compliment. It is very, very close to a good, full-size table. It has a good, fairly in-depth rule set, four flippers each with their own shot, no frustrating “drain-o” shots (which I think it really important and also difficult to design), decent multi-ball, and excellent sound & art. Don’t get me wrong – cocktail pinball is a niche. But this machine is a niche machine that has replay value. It draws your attention due to its uniqueness, but holds your attention because it is a good pin.

I like that you can adjust what I’ll call the game’s mission difficulties. You can adjust whether or not the following reset after each ball, or remain from ball to ball: Bonus Multiplier, Spinner Lane working towards Special (or Extra Ball, as described below), and CRUISE drop targets working towards Extra Ball. For home use, I prefer to set them to remain from ball to ball. It adds to the “Mission” aspect of the game and it’s the missions make this pin fun. There truly is a shot for each flipper, and good shots make good play.

I also like that you can not only set it for Free Play, but also adjust the game settings so that Special awards an Extra Ball and not an already free “free” game. That surprised me (although maybe it shouldn’t have) for an 80’s machine.

You can customize the Attract Message. “Hoppy’s Basement” is mine. Actually, there is no apostrophe, which kind of bothers me, but you get the point.

[Randomly placed informational note… To enter Game Adjustments mode, hold the left flipper while pressing the Test button.]

I do have some complaints…

I’m not sure my first complaint is really a complaint. I’ll let you decide. The way to score a lot of points is to maximize your Outhole Bonus. You do this two ways. First, get a lot of extra balls by spelling CRUISE with the drop targets or by advancing the Spinner Lane to Special. More balls equals more Outhole Bonuses. Second, increase the Bonus Multiplier and advance the CRUISE drop targets. Basically, 100,000 x Bonus Multiplier x CRUISE letters = Outhole Bonus. In a high scoring game, I’d estimate you earn over 75% of your score through Outhole Bonuses. It doesn’t detract from game play, it just doesn’t feel right.

“Skeet Mode,” which you enter by hitting the five SKEET targets, could be totally awesome!!! But it’s a dud. Basically, after hitting each letter you enter “Skeet Mode” where each letter in the SKEET targets light in sequence. For each letter you hit that is lit you get 1 million points. This could be really fun. The problem, however, is that the rest of the game is “off” during Skeet Mode, meaning you can’t advance CRUISE or the Spinner Lane towards Special. It’s just not worth the risk to score 1 million points with a SKEET hit so I frequently catch the ball and wait for Skeet Mode to end. I wish I could increase the value of a Skeet hit to, say, 5 or 10 million. Then it might be worth the risk of draining the ball. Skeet Mode could be utterly fantastic! Unfortunately, it’s just not worth the risk of losing your ball.

It rolls over at 100 million. Really?!?! 100 million?!?! Urgh!!!

Overall, Caribbean Cruise is an eye-magnet that holds your attention. It is unique and fun. I highly, highly recommend this machine as a first and only pinball machine (as it is for me), or as a niche machine to accent your collection. Enjoy!!!

Post script… I highly recommend you watch the following videos if you’re interested in a cocktail pin. The first two are about Caribbean Cruise. The second two are about Night Moves, the similar cocktail by Gottlieb for International Concepts. All four videos are by TNT Amusements. I have no affiliation with them other than I think they have good, entertaining and informational videos about machines.

#15 4 years ago

I have a Take Five if you are interested. I have only started working on it, but the PF is perfect and will totally shape up to be a nice game. I live in LI NY, let he know if you are interested.
--Ed

#16 4 years ago

Caribbean Cruise and Night Moves are by far the best cocktail tables out there. Both were made by trudeau, and have a very good layout that well uses the usual space. Most of them around 1980 are very similar in play, and basically didn't have enough thought put into how to utilize the cocktail space, more or less just a simple EM'ish design with few perks to make it work. CC and NM were well thought out, and play really well. I have a NM, and still would like a CC.

I have heard from people that own both that although CC looks better, and seems like a better layout, NM is the better player of the two slightly. NM has a mystery bonus that makes the game IMO. Different awards depending on when you get them can be huge or nothing. Take the 500k points, huge if you have just started a game, not that great if you are having a good game, and are at 10m. Double your score, means little if it comes too early when playing, but again, 10m in and boom!

NM really uses all of the PF shots too, and utilizes the wide design, which I think CC does as well. Look for these machines, but again, people have been catching onto these for some time now, and they are hard to get.

I have NM and want a CC for the same reasons as you, a couple spots in the middle of the room.

Oh, and Rotation VIII is too big for my space.

haha, don't worry, they do not come up much, and you'd be paying out the nose to land one.

Quoted from Chrlbrwn88:

I'm just a road trip away.

I had to look this one up, I don't believe I have seen this one before. I'll be honest, with all those drops, that looks like a really fun machine.

#17 4 years ago

I have a Hearts Spades that I'd part with, but I'm not within what you are probably considering driving distance.

I am planning to be at York, but my week is shaping up such that it may not happen. Ugh... sometimes I hate my job!

#18 4 years ago

Hadn't posted anything cause I'm waiting on delivery, but that star shooter is paid for and I should be having it delivered to York! Thanks everyone, especially Chrlbrwn88 and Ballypalooza.

#19 4 years ago

All wrapped up and ready to hit the road to York!

IMG_20140926_225825_940.jpg
IMG_20140926_225909_839.jpg

1 week later
#20 4 years ago

Just to close the loop here, brought it home, tested the power supply and figured out that it needed replacing. Swapped it out and she plays! It's in great shape for the number of plays. Thanks again, guys!

#21 4 years ago

Glad you got it going!

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside