(Topic ID: 132905)

CNC milling of playfield plastics

By jimmytransistor

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

sketchup.png
    cnc_plastics.jpg

#1 8 years ago

I've been doing some experimenting with milling clear replacement plastics out of 1/16" polycarbonate on my Carbide3d desktop CNC mill.

First, I modeled the part in Sketchup:

sketchup.pngsketchup.png

Then, I cut it on the mill out of a sheet of 1/16" polycarbonate -- youtube video

Here's the end result:

cnc_plastics.jpgcnc_plastics.jpg

#2 8 years ago

I've been designing/cnc machining pinball plastics for years.

I design in MasterCam though.

#3 8 years ago
    Quoted from indypinhead:

I've been designing/cnc machining pinball plastics for years.
    I design in MasterCam though.

Nice! What sort of mill do you use? On the CAD side, I've been playing around with Fusion 360, and it seems pretty solid. I haven't explored the CAM features of it yet. I've been generating gcode from the models in MeshCam and simulating in OpenSCAM before cutting.

#4 8 years ago

I have 3 Hurco machining centers.

#5 8 years ago
    Quoted from indypinhead:

I have 3 Hurco machining centers.

Those things have enough torque to cut through plastic?

#6 8 years ago

LOL....yep

#7 8 years ago

I've done this too. No need for 3D, any 2D vector file will work.

#8 8 years ago

Very cool. I'm looking forward to getting my x-carve and playing around with it. Amazing the tools that are available to hobbyists nowadays.

#9 8 years ago

I have a Shopbot CNC router at work and I have cut several playfield plastics, dmd plastics, and trophy plaques for our pinball league.

#10 8 years ago

Have a Panel Pro 5925 at work for cutting aluminum airplane panels I've used to cut a couple of protectors using EasyCad/Avcam

#11 8 years ago

Why do you have to touch the endmill off on that dowel pin?

#12 8 years ago

I have a sharpie and a band saw.

#13 8 years ago
    Quoted from jimmytransistor:

Then, I cut it on the mill out of a sheet of 1/16" polycarbonate -- youtube video

So, how do you hold it down? Do you cut into the base at all? Cool video, BTW.

#14 8 years ago
    Quoted from wnorwich89:

Why do you have to touch the endmill off on that dowel pin?

Calibrate the depth I think.

#15 8 years ago

Yep, that pin is for sensing the tool length.

It's held down with some double sided carpet tape, super sticky.

The job cut 1/16" down through 1/16" polycarbonate, and there was just a sliver left. I could have cut down another 1/32" or so into the spoil board, but I just trimmed it with an xacto.

#16 8 years ago

Ugh I want one of these. Or maybe I want a WH2O. So hard to choose toys.

#17 8 years ago
    Quoted from radium:

Ugh I want one of these. Or maybe I want a WH2O. So hard to choose toys.

Looks like these CNC mills are around $2600. Not sure how competitive that is, I don't know the market. But I can tell you I spent a heck of a lot more than that to buy my WH2O recently!

This particular CNC looks more like an alternate to a 3D printer. Small footprint, and can carve 3D shapes. That's pretty slick, but I think I'd personally get more use out of something larger that was more 2D oriented. Maybe some kind of home-user-oriented laser cutter, I dunno. Big enough to cut things like speaker panels.

#18 8 years ago

The larger x-carve is around $1,200, and gives you 31" by 31".

#19 8 years ago

Yeah, I am currently looking at a small CNC router that can cut aluminum. Looks like my 2 best choices are the Nomad 883 and the X-Carve. Both of those can handle cutting plastics and the X-Carve seems to be the one with the biggest working area of these small routers.

--Scott

#20 8 years ago

Sounds like I should do some research! Or just let Scott do it all for me.

#21 8 years ago
    Quoted from TheNoTrashCougar:

Yeah, I am currently looking at a small CNC router that can cut aluminum. Looks like my 2 best choices are the Nomad 883 and the X-Carve

Spend under $5k and you could get a 5-axis cnc, perfect for making.. ANYTHING!
    http://makezine.com/2015/06/23/5-axis-cnc-less-thank-5k

#22 8 years ago

That cheap 5 axis is not a true 5 axis machine.Well in the video anyway.
    It never moves on all axis at once .
    I also run a mill in work.
    a hurco VM1 .make all types of prototypes/mould .
    I use soidworks/solidcam for my gcode .
    draftsight is a free CAD program that's good for .dxf stuff

#23 8 years ago
    Quoted from toyotaboy:

Spend under $5k and you could get a 5-axis cnc, perfect for making.. ANYTHING!
    http://makezine.com/2015/06/23/5-axis-cnc-less-thank-5k

Yeah Joe, that one sure looks cool, but it is one of those Kickstarter campaigns and as UrabanLegend stated above, it does not look to use more than 1 axis at a time.

A simple 3 axis CNC mill that has the potential to run GCode from the SolidCAM plugin is what I would be looking for. Nothing crazy.

#24 8 years ago
    Quoted from urbanledge:

a hurco VM1 .make all types of prototypes/mould .
    I use soidworks/solidcam for my gcode .

I have a VM2... sweet machine.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cnc-milling-of-playfield-plastics and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.