Topic Stats

• 3 posts
  • 2 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by TrueJedi
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

CN21_Pin (resized).JPG

#1 1 year ago

I'm trying to sort out an occasional sound issue. On certain and specific call outs of my Data East LAH I'm get an obnoxious gargled sound. It's consistent with the same callouts, but only accounts for a small percentage of the game sounds. The rest of the game sounds are fine.

I was planning to order some new ribbon cables and thought I'd check the pin connections first. I noticed on the CN21 a pin (19?) on the far left is missing.

1. Does anyone know what the purpose of this missing pin is? I was thinking it may be the route of my problem, but I've seen a few posts saying that this pin is often missing on Data East machines and is useless. Does anyone know it's purpose?

2. Any idea what else would be causing a few specific call out sounds to come out gargled? I've updated all ROM chips including sound, CPU and display chips to the most recent versions and that did not solve the issue.

Thanks.

CN21_Pin (resized).JPG

#2 1 year ago

Pin 19 on CN21 of the MPU is the PIA Enable line. I think if you follow it out to the sound board you'll see it's not being used.

#3 1 year ago

Thanks, so I can rule out pin 19. Any other suggestions as to what may be causing the call out sound issue? I'll likely order some new ribbon cables this weekend, but wondering if this has happened with other Data East owners to confirm whether the ribbons are likely the culprit.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 40.00
Playfield - Decals
Great American Pinball
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
$ 50.00
$ 45.00
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 40.00
Lighting - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
2,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Shawnee, OK

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside