Topic poll

“Club Spidey (Spider-Man) - Members and guests welcome”

• Spider-Man is the best Stern Pin 53 votes
    21%
  • Spider-Man is the best Super Hero Pin 128 votes
    52%
  • Black Spider-Man is Shiny 66 votes
    27%

(Multiple choice - 247 votes by 228 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

CD7240FA-1FDF-4254-BA82-E95D6C14F024 (resized).jpeg
20240213_004735 (resized).jpg
20240203_173658 (resized).jpg
SPIDEY VE CARDS (resized).jpg
4B8A3452-D70A-4439-9E59-423D20D4F63C (resized).jpeg
IMG_7235 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2071 (resized).jpeg
IMG_9275 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2094 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2095 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2096 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2090 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2086 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2092 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2085 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2091 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider zene10.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#316 7 years ago
Quoted from chubtoad13:

Boom just showed up

You're going to have so much fun. It's a great game. Seeing a minty fresh play field is a sight to behold. Got my SMVE about a month ago.

#328 7 years ago

My sticker is #118 of 410. No other stickers. #118 is hand written in black (sharpie) ink on the edge of the playfield, to the right of the white printed sticker. No stickers on the bottom of the playfield.

3 weeks later
#378 7 years ago
Quoted from Rickwh:

Ive had my smve for about a month or so. Seems like the ball comes out of the lock VUK with some serious force that has to wear break stuff over time. Anything specific i can do to help prevent wear? Double up on the factory mylar?

Me three! Sandman VUK is brutal. About 2 months old 400-500 plays. Ordering some additional mylar.

2SZ_3583_(resized).JPG2SZ_3583_(resized).JPG

2SZ_3584_(resized).JPG2SZ_3584_(resized).JPG

#396 7 years ago
Quoted from BioBa:

Modded a Spider projector light and mounted it at the back of the back box. It shines an image of Spiderman onto the ceiling when the machine gets turned on.

Did you use the car version that's on ebay?

#405 7 years ago

I almost did this about two months ago - thought about projecting it onto the floor beneath the machine. I like your idea better. Glad to see you got it to work.

1 week later
#423 7 years ago
Quoted from Rickwh:

Does anyone have a link for the process to dump the 1.0 code from the factory preload in SMVE? Id like to export it out of my SMVE just to have, before attempting to load 1.01. Call me cautious, but i want a fall back plan
Rick

I backed up when I first got mine. Here's what worked for me:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/backing-up-settingsscores-to-usb-stern-sam-machines#post-3114673

1 week later
#425 7 years ago
Quoted from fathom:

Picked up a SM last week since it was such a great deal. I had played it a couple of times at places and found it too easy or just didn't grab me.
But NOW, really getting into it.
The only question I have is why is there not a match video at the end like all the other pins?
Also, not sure I want to do a color DMD in this but wanted to know where you could get a red filter for the regular display?
Thanks

Check your game settings. SM and SMVE both have match sequences. The previous owner probably had it turned off.

#427 7 years ago
Quoted from fathom:

It does go through the match sequence but only numbers show up and no sound or music. Most or all the other pins have some added "cute" animations like X-Men uses Colossus throwing the head of a robot.

If I recall correctly the match sequence on SM is Green Goblin movie clip with quote (willem) "Sleep, sleep". I haven't played a SM in a while.

Can anyone with a SM comment? Sorry, I've a SMVE.

3 months later
#471 7 years ago
Quoted from cableguy918:

Anyone know where to get a plastic set? I really only need a couple pieces, but willing to buy the whole set. Doesn't see, like anyone has stock on anything.

Talk to Terry at Pinball Life. I special-ordered SMVE plastics and decals. Not sure which flavor you need but the part numbers are listed in the manual.

#474 7 years ago
Quoted from billsfanmd:

Anyone change sounds on SM with pinball browser ? Would love to add some movie soundtrack to the game.

I've done lots of call out mods and modified the closing music to include the original animated theme fade in and out.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-spider-man-ve-smve-call-out-modification#post-3141003
Not hard but a bit time consuming reloading the binary

4 weeks later
#480 7 years ago
Quoted from Radius118:

I double posted this in another thread too but I am trying to get an answer somewhat quickly, so I apologize in advance!
----
Well I pulled the trigger and ordered a VE..
I have been in contact with Cliffy about getting protectors for it, but he seems to think some of his stuff won't work.
It seems obvious that the Doc Ock magnet is WAY bigger, so of course that protector won't work.
Specifically, looking at the flyer, he thinks they changed the shape of the Doc Ock kickout. He also thinks there are already ramp protectors on the game and his are not needed. But I looked at the flyer and I can't see the front of the DO kickout, and it looks to me like the inside of the ramps next to the 3 bank targets don't have protectors on them.
Can anyone confirm Cliffy's suspicions?
Thanks!
Michael

SMVE come fully armored. It does not have a right side under-rail eject or ball eject protector. The rails are metal and the right side of the shooter lane already has a protection plate. See pictures.

The VUK's are also well armored as well as the Sandman drop target area. A huge improvement over the original.

I'd grill your distro and Stern about the playfield issues being resolved before accepting the order. Every non-round insert has ghosted on mine and the clear coat has separated from the playfield under the apron. Two of the inserts have cracked through the clearcoat.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hey-stern-are-you-serious/page/42#post-3277858
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hey-stern-are-you-serious/page/75#post-3313793

Also have ghosting on a NIB Met Pro.

I've been told I'd be taken care of after December ...

WED_4817 (resized).JPGWED_4817 (resized).JPG

WED_4818 (resized).JPGWED_4818 (resized).JPG

WED_4820 (resized).JPGWED_4820 (resized).JPG

WED_4819 (resized).JPGWED_4819 (resized).JPG

WED_4821 (resized).JPGWED_4821 (resized).JPG

1 month later
#488 7 years ago
Quoted from Frogman:

I've had a #spiderman for about nine months now and it's a family and friend favorite. One issue just appeared and I'm hoping that someone here might have a suggestion. The Sandman will go up but not down. The error is being shown in the service menu. When the test is executed I can see the motor turning, but the toy doesn't move. Any suggestions for further troubleshooting or a fix would be appreciated. Thanks!

Had similar issue on SMVE see here: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-spiderman-ve/page/23#post-3312026

Most likely Sandman is out of alignment.

4 weeks later
#526 7 years ago

Starting an "Exit to shooter lane" mod on my SMVE and I think I just found the SMVE equivalent of SM's "You Snooze You Loose".

Only took me about 10 months.

It appears the graphic on the plastic is printed upside down; it should be oriented to face the player.

Even Spidey can't balance on top of his web shot.

IMG_0100 (resized).JPGIMG_0100 (resized).JPG

#530 7 years ago

I figure it's not a mistake, it's an easter egg. Now if I can only find the cow ...

#541 7 years ago

I've got an extra ball guide (part # 515-7643-00) for SM still in the plastic. Bought after being told was the same part for SMVE.
Turned out not to be the case. SM and SMVE do not share all the same hardware.

If you're doing the mod for SMVE you need: SMVE ball guide Part# 535-9964-00

The part (515-7643-00) is $28 + Shipping (minimum $6.99) at Marcos.

$28 shipped to you. PM me if you are interested.

IMG_0119 (resized).JPGIMG_0119 (resized).JPG
IMG_0118 (resized).JPGIMG_0118 (resized).JPG

2 weeks later
#572 7 years ago
Quoted from stoptap:

Brilliant, thank you. What does the super skill shot give you ?

"Satisfaction oozes from her pores"

1 year later
#802 6 years ago
Quoted from mcuzz:

Couldn't find any nice rule cards for my vault edition so I made some to share.

Nice! Thank you

5 months later
1 week later
#963 5 years ago
Quoted from T7:

NEW Interactive Spiderman Game Guide: http://pinballzoo.com/Games/GameTips?id=895
- Interactive Shot Map displays shots for the selected rule
- Optimized for Cell Phones
Please check it out[quoted image]

Sorry, not correct for VE.

The villain modes and the timed modes have different names.

The current guide you have fo VE is a copy/paste of SM and incorrect for the VE - although the rules are the same.

4 months later
#1080 5 years ago
Quoted from PinScott:

I installed an LED OCD into my SMVE and it makes a major difference. Great job dialing the settings in!

Did the same with mine. Great improvement!

1 week later
#1084 5 years ago
Quoted from Rickwh:

I didn't know ledocd worked in SMVE. Did you remove the little adapters on the board when adding that in?
More importantly does it allow the SMVE code to do the inserts woth different brightness like I hear the orig spidey did?

Have LEDOCD in my SMVE. Wonderful. Can't remember if I pulled adapters or not. Instructions were thorough for the board.

Recommended. Still need to dial it in a bit from stock but have not had time to get around to it.

1 month later
#1152 5 years ago
Quoted from GCS2000:

So we are looking Spidey as our next game. It seems the consensus is the VE is better but man the originals price on the used market is 2-3k less. Is the VE really all that over the 07 model?

I own a vault. If you can find a great condition original, get it. $2k-3k goes a long way for replacement parts and aftermarket armor.

That being said, I love my vault. I prefer the comic book art over the movie.

The original has better call outs and voices, but nothing that can’t be “fixed” with pinball browser in the VE.

#1153 5 years ago
Quoted from bobukcat:

Someone at least started a project to put the JK Simmons JJ Jameson call-outs into the Vault because they are fantastic, I don't remember how far along that progressed if at all. Personally I think the call-outs and voice actors on the VE are pretty bad, the animations are better because there are no terribly compressed and encoded live video clips to deal with.

That was me.

“Power of the sun...” back in

All J.K. Simmons back in, plus some extras from SM not used by the game programming but exist nonetheless.

Maguire “whoo hooo” Ramps back in, better than SMVE voice actor.

Progressed so far then a combo of hard drive crash, new baby, and moving across the country put everything on hold.

Possible revisit after TPF.

#1154 5 years ago
Quoted from bobukcat:

There are aspects of the VE art I like better but I was a huge Spidey fan growing up and the VE Spidey doesn't look like Spidey at all to me. So even with Tobey's face on the sling plastic I still prefer that version of the art, it is much truer to what I know the characters to look like, what the hell did they do to Green Goblin in that series / game??

I hear this argument a lot (the VE doesn’t look like the classic SM comic book) in the threads. I own a SMVE (and regret not picking up a NIB SM when they came out).

Neither SM nor SMVE are the “spider-man I grew up with” past a certain period.

I actually prefer the art on The Amazing Spider-Man pin to either SM or SMVE.

So buy what you can afford/like/is available. The game play is the same. You’ll be happy with either.

Skip the rest of the rant below.

As far as the SMVE sucks vs SM ...

SM Doc Ock looks nothing like the classic character from the comics. He looks like he’s cosplaying every character from The Matrix - including the sentinels - as a finger puppet. SMVE toy is closer to the original character, except the addition of steroids.

SM Venom toy doesn’t look like Venom introduced in the comics. SMVE venom toy looks less like a finger puppet (SM) but seems to go to the same gym as Ock.

SMVE has a Sandman that at least keeps the striped shirt (again the toy plus steroids. Can you really juice sand?) of the original less the groot face of SM. Again, what’s with the finger puppets in SM?

Are the only characters in SM with legs spider-man and green goblin (on a hover board stolen from Marty McFly)? Is “power of the sun” just a stolen flux capacitor?

SM’s Green Goblin looks nothing like the pointy eared pumpkin throwing original character. SMVE’s super-roided GG is another character completely from a different series. Looks more like Hulk right down to the purple pants. In fact I grabbed the “Hulk Smash!” call out from the Avengers pin and stuck it in for a SMVE GG callout.

Back when I bought my SMVE the difference between a minty HOU and NIB VE was about $1000.

The added cost of the SMVE was worth it not to spend the time or $ to rebuild the flippers and pops of a 10 year old pin and put LEDs in.

Not to mention the pin was delivered to my door instead of spending the time and effort to drive, inspect and transport a used game (possibly repeating this when a ”perfect” game ends up being not as described). SMVE also has additional armor and better magnet protection at Ock.

So in conclusion, both art packages are horrendous. I hate your machine, you hate my machine. All the toys suck. I wish Stern offered a white wood version.

Sorry, you’ll never unsee the finger puppets of SM.

#1156 5 years ago
Quoted from embryon:

How's your playfield holding out? I've heard that people are getting wear from the Web slinger vuk but only Hearsay. My Sm had no dimples so maybe the extra ock protection was necessary for softer pf?? BTW I've never seen a smve in the flesh but nearly bought one but gble won out.
I wonder if you can interchange smve venom to Sm. And maybe doc ock to remove the finger puppets

Stern replaced my playfield ... twice.

Not going to get into the dimple debate.

2 months later
#1267 4 years ago
Quoted from mof:

I'll just mic drop this here for all you spidey fans:
YW

https://vimeo.com/165963527

And boom goes the dynamite.

5 months later
#1497 4 years ago
Quoted from marspinball:

What ever came of Total Lightshow for SM vault?

Redshift sold his SM so I doubt it will be developed.

I've a Pinduino kit in my SMVE (https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinduino-v03-interactive-control-of-leds/page/3#post-4331488)

Professor Pinball (@lyonsden) is working on a revised kit (Pinduino) for SM & SMVE which includes the VUKs (web slingers).

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/professor-pinball-putting-spidey-back-into-an-sm

3 weeks later
#1526 4 years ago
Quoted from monkeyboypaul:

Isn’t the Vault Edition like that?

My mashup version from 3 years ago. Starts with in-game theme, fades to '60s show theme & fades back out to game theme.

Sorry, Vimeo doesn't seem to want to embed.

<iframe src="https://player.vimeo.com/video/165963527" width="640" height="360" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; fullscreen" allowfullscreen></iframe>
<p>
SMVE Closing Theme Mashupfrom
Wander Wheelson
Vimeo.</p>

6 months later
#1745 3 years ago

Not explicitly for SM Vault, but generically for Stern SAM games:
Install:
http://www.ledocd.com/install_sam_r5.html
Software usage:
http://www.ledocd.com/usage_led.html
(You may decide that Profile 7, the one it defaults to for all inserts, needs to be less bright at the top end, in which case maybe use Profile 6 for all inserts. The only thing i always change is the delay number to either 1 or 2).
Also read up around this post https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/club-spidey-members-and-guests-welcome/page/32#post-5402774
as there's a setting (maybe more than 1), which may be worth playing with after install, but then you're into "fiddly & subtle" territory.

Herg should have SMVE on his site. I corrected the naming differences from SM to SMVE and sent it to him a while ago.

1 month later
#1817 3 years ago
Quoted from insx:

Does anyone else's right flipper feel significantly weaker than the left, even after a rebuild? I'm wondering whether this is actually a thing or if I have a problem to fix. If feels quite free when operated by hand.

You’ve an issue to track down. Both flippers should feel the same. Possibly start with checking EOS gap.

#1819 3 years ago
Quoted from insx:

My EOS on the right actually opens later and less than the one on the left. I presume having it open earlier would make it less powerful.

1/8" gap. A good resource is VID's Guide to Upgrading/Rebuilding Flippers.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/vids-guide-to-upgradingrebuilding-flippers#post-284680

5 months later
#1917 3 years ago

i think the RGB GI update was Timebandit's thing, but his thread is very quiet so i wouldn't hold your breath at all.
Comet regular 2SMD bulbs are perfect if you want to use a LEDOCD. https://www.cometpinball.com/products/2smd-bulbs
Colour match or just use sunlight white for all the inserts! Either will look great. I mixed it up a bit. Warm white also suits the GI on this one, which isn't normally my preference.
USB updates to the game v2.61 and ColorDMD v4.1 are very easy - good online guides available. You will need to check what era/model of ColorDMD you have in there though. Use a smaller/older USB drive if you can, 512Mb-4Gb seem to work well, in-line with the SAM board-set age.
[quoted image]

For RGB GI contact Prof Pinball, of pinduino fame (his pinside handle is lyonsden ). He has a custom version of replacement rgb inserts and code for SM and SMVE.

8 months later
#2043 2 years ago
Quoted from Ceckitti:

Update on game 1....... was in a bar that apparently did not follow the No Smoking law.

You'll be cleaning a lot of brown nicotine stains and it takes a long time to get the smoke smell out.

3 months later
#2160 2 years ago
Quoted from gambit3113:

It does, but the Ultimate version of GG is really dumb looking.

I stuck a few "Hulk...SMASH!" call outs from the Avengers pin into my SMVE. Green body & purple pants.

8 months later
#2290 1 year ago
Quoted from boogies:

Has anyone ever had controlled Inserts work during test modes and not work otherwise?
I've changed the LEDs and even 1 of the sockets with no avail.
Here's a quick video of the issue
Any suggestions is appreciated

For controlled lighting to work properly you either need incandescent bulbs or an LED OCD board. The later takes trial and error to get dialed in for the low/medium/high reproduction of the controlled inserts with incandescent bulbs.

3 months later
#2323 1 year ago
Quoted from Jamesays:

I have the Vault and its Great.I have heard rumours that theres a soundtrack update for the vault with OG callouts but after asking about it for 2 years only to hear crickets Im guessing its B.S.

Not B.S., you've visited the original project thread where there's plenty of documentation (https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-spider-man-ve-smve-call-out-modification#post-3119040). Unfortunately, I no longer have the modified sound files and do not have time to resurrect this project. I'm happy to answer questions and offer advice.

Here's a DIY method.

1. Get a copy of Pinball Browser
2. Get an original copy of the game code. Tip: the older versions had fewer sound files but they were not horrendously compressed.
3. Pull J.K. Simmons call outs out of the original SM game code. Pull any other sound files you fancy. Tip: they're are some great J. Jonah Jameson call outs that never were used in the game.
4. You'll need to use a sound editor like the free, open source Audacity to shorten or stretch the timing to match the timing of the new sound files in SMVE. Tip: you also may also need to adjust the recording and playback levels so you don't get clipping after importing into SMVE. This is a tedious and time consuming process - load sound files to SMVE, reload software on SMVE, test, rinse & repeat. The newer version of Pinball Browser may auto-adjust for clipping, but I have not verified.

https://www.wanderwheels.com/SMVE/IMG_4679.mp4
https://www.wanderwheels.com/SMVE/IMG_4676.mp4
https://www.wanderwheels.com/SMVE/IMG_4681.mp4

If you're willing to do the work, you can mod the graphics and other music. Again, tedious and time consuming. Check out the web-shooter pulling the "push start" DMD sequence and the animated TV show theme integration.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 79.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Arcade Upkeep

$ 17.50
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Haus

$ 25.50
Machine - For Sale
Milford, CT
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Machine - For Sale
Rockford, IL
8,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Little River, SC
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 64.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Lermods

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 16.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

7,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Delta, BC
$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 25.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider zene10.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/club-spidey-members-and-guests-welcome?tu=zene10 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.