Topic poll

“Club Spidey (Spider-Man) - Members and guests welcome”

• Spider-Man is the best Stern Pin 41 votes
    22%
  • Spider-Man is the best Super Hero Pin 100 votes
    54%
  • Black Spider-Man is Shiny 45 votes
    24%

(Multiple choice - 186 votes by 171 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

There have been 403 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

321354d9056733b0a6eeda97315ca667bf6e3e0e (resized).jpg
Screen Shot 2019-10-03 at 6.09.45 AM (resized).png
EF78DFD8-8EEC-4B58-856E-C7BF6B53BA15 (resized).jpeg
0BB0DC46-662C-4200-8510-EA65F9F61CAC-341-000000173F591992 (resized).JPG
A77A38E8-A93E-4667-99F6-E7735C2F5FA0 (resized).jpeg
4261389E-ADCF-4D95-AA57-4A5E5119799C (resized).jpeg
8D0DCE84-7E7B-401B-BBEA-87A67DCB46A8 (resized).jpeg
C858607F-B51D-4DF7-BDAD-F71C664E6C97 (resized).jpeg
2175EEE4-3C56-4BBF-AED4-4B4D5585A8A4 (resized).jpeg
A48255E0-571C-42A7-8B36-DF12D033068C (resized).jpeg
20190912_122021 (resized).jpg
8AF83855-DB00-4499-A14B-68BA782E8152 (resized).jpeg
9BD6CD9F-93AD-48EC-B339-71F1621E55E1 (resized).jpeg
20190911_215555 (resized).jpg
20190911_215607 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190910_191102 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider fatpanda.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1101 7 months ago

Joined the Spidey club today! I picked up a pretty heavily modded game. Has all red and blue GI that I'll need to change out to Natural White, and LED flashers that I'll need to change back to incandescent but in all, it's a very nice HUO game. Pretty stoked!

#1102 7 months ago

Spiderman's DMD animations are a grainy mess. For those that have colorDMD, is the upgrade worth it?

#1104 7 months ago

I'm also taking off Back Alley Creations Subway mod further modded with LED lights and Back Alley Creations Buildings modded with lights. Let me know if you're interested in the set. Would let it go pretty cheap compared to buying from the the store. I believe they both have wires with alligator clips connected to them, that clip onto a GI lamp to power them for lights. You would need to get new velcro strips to attach them to your game.

#1105 7 months ago
Quoted from luvthatapex2:

View and decide! I'd get it for sure. Love ColorDMDs on all of my games.

I'll have to see if someone with ColorDMD streamed a game. As much as I like the promo videos, I like to see them running during a game as well. Gives me a better feel for it. Do you keep it in dots? I would imagine smoothing makes it look pretty bad.

#1107 7 months ago

here is a video of gameplay someone posted to youtube. he has it in dots mode. dots or dotsxl mode for this game would probably look best.
The original dots on this game are bad, there is just only so much you can do with crappy source. But at least the color accentuates the scenes and makes the game look a bit more modern.

Yeah, definitely looks a billion times better! There's actually definition in the shapes with the different colors and contrast. I've got 3 games to put colorDMDs on. Now to determine if I want to buy all 3 at once or not...

#1109 7 months ago
Quoted from Jediturtle:

Did you pick up CPR9999's? Saw that when I checked out his TF...amazing game. I was slightly tempted to sell my vault and pick that one up!
I've always liked the building/subway mods, but not sure how they would look or fit on a vault. Let me know how much you were thinking...maybe I would give it a try depending.
Either way, congrats on the pick-up. SM is still one of my all time favorites!

Yes, that was the one I picked up. The side armor with mirror behind the webbing is, imo, the highlight of that machine. The PC blue is very nice! I'm not a huge fan of mods in general, so I took it off, and I prefer it much better. Also needed to get some white lights in the machine, since it was so dark with Blue/Red GI, plus also not a fan of colored GI in general, so I'm currently working through replacing those lights.

#1111 7 months ago
Quoted from Jediturtle:

Yeah...the GI was the only thing I didn't love about that machine. Give Comet's Sunlight 2SMDs a try. Beautiful. There is a pic of my old machine where I used them in this thread...
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/club-spidey-members-and-guests-welcome/page/19#post-4507802

I generally use Comet 2SMDs in Natural white for newer games or warm white for older games. Bright without blinding and really makes games look very nice!

#1113 7 months ago

Definitely stoked to have this game. Just ordered new Titans, more Comets, and replacing the flipper bats with yellow. The game had metallic red flipper bats, and again, super hard to see where the upper flipper was in relation to the ball. I am having the hardest time hitting the Venom shot. In all, trying to bring it back closer to stock, but still leaving some more subtle mods left installed.

#1115 7 months ago
Quoted from FatPanda:

I'm also taking off Back Alley Creations Subway mod further modded with LED lights and Back Alley Creations Buildings modded with lights. Let me know if you're interested in the set. Would let it go pretty cheap compared to buying from the the store. I believe they both have wires with alligator clips connected to them, that clip onto a GI lamp to power them for lights. You would need to get new velcro strips to attach them to your game.

Mods are spoken for!

#1120 7 months ago
Quoted from Chisox:

Just joined the club this week with a very nice Black Spidey. Awesome game.
[quoted image]

It's so black you can't even see the machine!

1 week later
#1137 7 months ago
Quoted from Pinzap:

I own both the original and the VE... both were single owner HUO when I acquired them and both are setup nicely. I think it does come down to personal preference with art vs callouts. I don’t think you can go wrong with either.

Given time and someone with a SMVE to test, I could probably make up a sound package. Which sounds from the OG are people looking to put into the VE?

#1162 7 months ago

I ended up with a really nice modded OG. It was within my price range and though I prefer the VE art package better, the OG art package doesn't bother me as much as I thought it would. Same with the toys, I prefer the toys on the VE better, but don't mind the toys on the OG after owning it for a few weeks. Still an awesome shooting game regardless of which one you go with. Both games rock! The one thing that I like the VE version better on is the dots. The digitized movie clips don't look good on a DMD.

1 week later
#1196 7 months ago
Quoted from embryon:

My only negative about this game is the info screen and the boring dmd extra ball screen. Videos are also bad in most parts and was going a colour display would help. I'm considering bung color dmd but need to hear from those that have it or have seen it on the flesh

there was a video posted a couple pages back (I had asked the same). I think it's 100% better than the orange DMD. Mine has a red filter, but I'm also thinking about changing it out to color, since the contrast is just so much better.

1 month later
#1252 5 months ago
Quoted from WizardsCastle:

Got a chance to dig into the game a bit, and it seems like there is no real value in playing modes. Gets a little repetitive just hitting all the shots to start a mode, and most of the time, it makes more sense to time it out and start the next to work towards Super Hero.
I live the way the game shoots, but I am a little disappointed that it one of those TOM type rulesets where it makes more sense to just time out modes.
Anyone else see it differently?

Completing a mode will light the next shot for 3x for the remainder of the ball. Can be quite valuable while going through other modes and MBs. You could potentially have the right ramp lit for 3x while playing out Battle Royale and collecting jackpots. I've not done it myself, but is theoretically possible.

#1258 5 months ago
Quoted from TicTacSeth:

I feel like a shooter is an understatement, because I can hit the shots, I just don’t know the strategy other than keep the ball alive. Had it for a few months now and I my scores suck until one day the ball just kept going. Then I noticed my score was huge. Got the grand champ and since then, back to my sucky scores

One of the big things that people might not be aware of are the shot multipliers. The first one can be earned by completing all of the white arrows (to qualify mode start at the orbits) once you've made all of the white arrows, all shots will be lit and the next shot you make will qualify that shot for 2x for the remainder of the ball.

The other one is completing a mode, as I mentioned in my last post. Once a mode is completed, all the white shots will light up and the next shot will be 3x for the remainder of the ball. I like to qualify the left ramp (for Venom modes) and the Doc Ock shot (for obvious reasons) if I know I'm going to be getting BR, I'll try to get the right ramp multiplied, but all the stars haven't aligned for me yet.

2 months later
#1302 82 days ago
Quoted from mannymasy:

Hello friends, I joined the club with a nice red spiderman. I think my machine has the code version 1.94, is there any more advanced? is there a lot of difference? regards[quoted image]

The latest code is 2.6. I would definitely update.

#1323 81 days ago

My game just shows "v2.6" on startup. Should it show "v2.61"?

#1327 81 days ago

It should show 2.61 upon startup if you are running 2.61

Well lucky me! I get another code update this week!

1 month later
#1411 35 days ago
Quoted from bobukcat:

What do you want modified? The call-outs are some of the best ever in a Stern game and the custom guitar rock music is very well suited to the game.

I've been toying with changing out Sandman callouts (I mean you can only hear Thomas Hayden Church say "ok" so many times. Really?!) and also adding Venom callouts, (actual speech from video games or cartoons) instead of just the screech. I would keep everything else though.

#1416 34 days ago
Quoted from tilted81:

Does venom have more than 1 callout tho? If there isn’t more than at least 2 it’d prolly feel even more repetitive.
Dunno if it fits but in the animated series venom spoke w/ like a demonic synthed voice.. there is likely some good content to pull from

I think he actually says something at some point, but I don't think it's a lot. There's lots of good stuff to pull from. I just haven't had the motivation to do it

Sandman is starting to get on my nerves though. When you hit him and all he says is "ok," it feels like a bit more effort could have been put in.

#1419 34 days ago
Quoted from bobukcat:

Isn't there an intro and final shot ready audio cue for each Sandman mode? "There's something up on the roof" and "I don't want to hurt you" are the two for the first mode I think. Each shot in between is a noise he makes when getting hit. Other ones I can remember off the top of my head are "End of line Spider-Man", Spidey's "There's a new sheriff in town" and the line from the scientists about a bird or something that will fly away.

I can hear all of those call outs as I read them lol You're absolutely right. I really didn't care for the SM3 movie (as I'm sure a lot of people didn't) and THC didn't do a great job as Sandman either. I'm sure there are other, more suitable callouts that could be put in place for both Venom and Sandman out there. I already clipped a bunch of Venom videos. I can't recall doing Sandman or not but that's as far as I've gotten. Definitely won't be movie accurate, but I'm not thinking about the movies when I play either. I'm thinking about the cartoon/video game characters.

#1423 33 days ago

It's likely a print fault if you can't feel the wear and it still has clear on it. Congrats on returning to the club. There were times where I think I want to sell this game, but then I start playing it, and it just feels great! A lot of people prefer Star Trek over this game due to the similar layouts, but I must be in the minority because I definitely enjoy the flow, theme, and rule set of this game more!

#1427 33 days ago

ST definitely has the "shoot the blinky lights" feel to it. I also don't like most of Dwight's games. None of the modes really "mean" anything, they're pretty superficial. So when I hear "ST is better than SM" I always think...(in Sandman's voice) "ok" lol

#1429 33 days ago
Quoted from tilted81:

Star Trek has easier to hit ramps because they are quite a bit wider. To me, I almost wish the sandman target was a 2 bank that way the ramp on either side would have been another 1/4 inch or so wider. Talk about flow...

I like the tighter ramp shots. Makes for a better player than easy to hit wide ramps. Plus, you can't go wrong with the AFM style target bank. Would have been cool to have Sandman do more than just stand there, but you can't have them all. The OG gets a shaking Goblin. I'm cool with that.

3 weeks later
#1450 12 days ago
Quoted from JRay23:

Hey, so I am a complete newb to modding games, but I would really like to convert my black Spider-Man to leds. I have been reading through this thread from the beginning and it looks like I need to get a led ocd board.
Is anyone aware of any kind of tutorials for swapping to leds? Doesn’t have to be Spider-Man, just looking to learn the basics. Thanks in advance.

You don't need the LED OCD board to convert to LEDs. The OCD board makes the LEDs fade in/out, as opposed to instantly flash on/off. A nice-to-have, but not necessary.

As far as changing bulbs, you'll need a combination of bayonet base and wedge base. The bulbs themselves just swap out. Nothing special about it. My suggestion is to buy bulk in your preference of white (warm, sunlight, or natural) with a frosted lens. I go with cometpinball.com 2SMD LEDs for brightness, reliability, and longevity. The other brands tend to flicker or aren't reliable and it's annoying to have to lift up the playfield for one bulb that doesn't work 100% of the time.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 74.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
Id Rather Play Pinball
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider fatpanda.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside