Topic poll

“Club Spidey (Spider-Man) - Members and guests welcome”

• Spider-Man is the best Stern Pin 41 votes
    22%
  • Spider-Man is the best Super Hero Pin 100 votes
    54%
  • Black Spider-Man is Shiny 45 votes
    24%

(Multiple choice - 186 votes by 171 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

There have been 408 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

20191015_190505 (resized).jpg
5E3C61B8-883B-4510-9C63-FFD6AE6E18FF (resized).jpeg
1AC2028B-B848-4A53-A20C-F6E41F0F4AC0 (resized).jpeg
C5022886-5032-4983-8073-862387EDDAA4 (resized).jpeg
20191015_115247 (resized).jpg
321354d9056733b0a6eeda97315ca667bf6e3e0e (resized).jpg
Screen Shot 2019-10-03 at 6.09.45 AM (resized).png
EF78DFD8-8EEC-4B58-856E-C7BF6B53BA15 (resized).jpeg
0BB0DC46-662C-4200-8510-EA65F9F61CAC-341-000000173F591992 (resized).JPG
A77A38E8-A93E-4667-99F6-E7735C2F5FA0 (resized).jpeg
4261389E-ADCF-4D95-AA57-4A5E5119799C (resized).jpeg
8D0DCE84-7E7B-401B-BBEA-87A67DCB46A8 (resized).jpeg
C858607F-B51D-4DF7-BDAD-F71C664E6C97 (resized).jpeg
2175EEE4-3C56-4BBF-AED4-4B4D5585A8A4 (resized).jpeg
A48255E0-571C-42A7-8B36-DF12D033068C (resized).jpeg
20190912_122021 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider bobukcat.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#303 3 years ago
Quoted from yuriijos:

Got my wiring harness for my colorDMD since I had a spare. Really hope they color SM someday. Was thinking about getting a RGB speaker light kit and adaptor to also change colors on the DMD. Do you think this would be a good addition till it gets the color treatment? Also when and if it does get colored, does the RGB need to be removed from the DMD?

I put a ColorDMD in mine and the speaker light kit interconnect - pretty cool. If you like it cycling colors it works well, if you want a static color I think Blue looks the best because the red on the LCD screen is not red enough - the displays they use don't produce a wide enough color gamut. I have been meaning to put in the Red DMD window I have and set the ColorDMD to white to see how that looks but I'm always occupied with something else (usually playing pinball). I just hope the rumors are correct and they are close to releasing a fully colorized version.

4 weeks later
#366 3 years ago
Quoted from Bricarus:

I don't see why you would need three levels of brightness for the villain modes when each mode has it's own light or insert. I guess if your used to it, you might want it. But, it seems redundant.

It may be redundant for the villain modes but it's not redundant for the white inserts showing the 2X (very dim) and 3X multiplier shots. I'm really surprised they didn't do something to address that by default, I've never played the VE so maybe they have and I don't know it.

7 months later
#546 2 years ago
Quoted from epotech:

just got a spidey and ordered the parts to do the lane to shooter mod. Bummed that I couldn't use my rev1.3 colorDMD, needs to be 1.3b

If you're competent with a soldering iron you can change the memory chip out pretty cheap - assuming you can get the chip shipped to you cheaply where you live. I think I posted the details on it in the Spidey ColorDMD thread but if you have any questions on it let me know.

#551 2 years ago
Quoted from NightTrain:

You've gotta be kidding me. Never made it to super hero before. Had it qualified with 2 balls to go. Then I Drain and Drain. Nooooooo!!!!!! How is that possible. Crush the game for 30 minutes on the first two balls! Then just fall on my face!

I've made it there twice, both times on my last or 2nd to last ball and failed both times, I blame it on adrenaline. On a positive note - great first two balls!

#563 2 years ago
Quoted from Arcade:

Maybe this has been asked before but I have not seen it posted.
While going through my menu options I came across a setting for Insult Level.
It was not set to high so I changed it.
Does this even do anything on this game like it does on AC/DC?
So far I have not heard anything new.

I've always had mine set to high so I can't really comment on what difference it makes but I love the insults in this game! "Horrible pinball player terrorizes arcade!" and "You call that a multiball?" are two of my favorites. Apparently there's at least one more in the ROM that never gets called out at all.

4 weeks later
#583 2 years ago
Quoted from rai:

Could anyone tell me where to buy Sandman decal that covers the black plastic on the tripple target bank?

@Custom_Pinball makes them I believe but you can also buy it here: https://mezelmods.com/collections/spiderman-pinball-mods/products/sandman-bank-target-decal

2 weeks later
#599 2 years ago
Quoted from Lermods:

Anyone use an led color dmd in their game? Like the LCD, but wonder how led looks. Might be too bright for this game.

I posted multiple videos comparing the LED to the various LCD modes in one of the ColorDMD threads but I don't remember which one, here's a link to the LED one:

Long story short, I really like it for this title though I already had an LCD in mine so it's still there.

4 months later
#711 2 years ago
Quoted from rawbars:

I just got my first SM. Outlane posts are all the way down. What were factory settings? I got to Battle Royal on my first real game. My other pins are TWD and IM. They kick my ass all the time. I picked up SM to have a pin with longer ball times, but I still want it to be somewhat of a challenge. Any particular settings you guys recommend?

BR isn't really that hard to get to, Super Hero and beating it is a whole different (pin)ballgame!

#714 2 years ago
Quoted from rawbars:

I will say these thinner flipper rubbers seem to be doing the trick. I felt like nothing could get by the normal flipper rubbers with the center post. I put the thinner ones on and opened up the outlanes and the game is kickin my ass. It may not seem like much but the thinner flipper rubbers allow more balls to slip by. Here's a pic of the difference between normal and thin. It may not seem like much but it makes a difference.

Wow, it makes it look like a completely different game!!!

5 months later
#756 1 year ago
Quoted from jetmechinnc:

Is there something to install in the game in the way to de-magnetize the balls? Not sure if the original owner swapped out the balls that came with the game or not, (only had 22 plays on the game when I bought it) but the current balls sometimes stick to the shooter lane metal or the upper venom ramp due to magnetism and you have to either shake the heck out of the game or pull the glass to move the ball. I know the highly polished balls Marco sells are susceptible to magnetism and the standard ball is supposed to be more resistant. I have the standard ball in my Black Knight 2000 and have had no issues yet. Guess I could also just order new standard balls and see what happens but I'd say this game uses a magnet a lot more than my Black Knight. Besides that one issue, love this game and so does my wife. Very multi-ball happy game!

Replace the balls with standard balls from a good source.

3 weeks later
#782 1 year ago
Quoted from RGAires:

Hello,
I was wondering if any of you guys have change the cabinet decals of is spider man (original).
Ive found this example, they seam pretty nice, if also chrome the metal parts (legs, lock bar, etc)
Greetings

Those look awesome but no way I would swap out the absolutely perfect factory ones on my game, I'm just not that brave / crazy. Would like to see them installed on a game though, if you picked up a fairly beat up routed game it may be a good choice.

2 months later
#843 1 year ago
Quoted from estrader:

Just joined the club with the original spiderman. Ordered Colordmd and mirror blades so far, what else is a must add?

Shaker motor is pretty well integrated with the Sandman modes, not sure it's a must-have but I recommend it. Other than that I think that getting rid of the fluorescent tube for a auto-diming LED panel in the backbox is the next best bang for your buck.

#845 1 year ago
Quoted from weaverj:

LED's are a no brainer.

I disagree (perhaps I have no brain, like the Scarecrow), unless you go to the expense of putting in OCDLED you lose some of the stock insert lighting effects for the villains. I know some don't care about this but I do, then again I usually prefer the look of incandescents in games that originally had them anyway. I also have not seen colored LEDS for the back-panel villain progress lights that look as nice as the colored 44s when not on.

#847 1 year ago
Quoted from weaverj:

to each their own. will agree with the OCD board on sterns. i've never seen the need for the board on a WPC though, which is weird. you'd think it'd be the other way around.
okay, it's been debated to death, but can't resist. i'm firmly LED. less power consumption, less stress on electrical components, less heat on inserts and plastics, longer lasting, more color options, brightness options, directional options. i'm sure i'm missing things, too. i will tear a game completely apart to remove every single incandescent.
i think most of the traditionalists stick their noses up at LED's because of the terrible job some people do coloring their games unnecessarily. there are endless pictures of colored GI gone wrong; actually a thread on pinside. kind of shitty, just making fun of people, imo. but it's true, some people can't handle their liquor. doesn't mean you shouldn't drink .

Yeah, I see the benefits of both and definitely not one to stick my nose up at either, mainly because it's too big.

#849 1 year ago
Quoted from cyberkryten:

What do you lose? (or loose?)
Each villain has three separate indicators elsewhere anyway: Venom & Sandman at the back and Goblin and Doc on the playfield which flash when running and stay solid when complete each stage or have I misunderstood?

The inserts for the villains light steadily brighter as you progress towards completing them (dim, brighter, fully lit). If you put LEDs in without LEDOCD they are either on or off. Like I said it's not a big deal to most people but it would bother me a bit.

#852 1 year ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

Also, the 2X and 3X white inserts have different brightnesses that you can't tell the difference if you don't have LEDOCD.

Good point, I forgot about that when I posted.

3 months later
#921 1 year ago
Quoted from weaverj:

please don't use incandescents.

Why not, that's what it had originally from Stern?

#923 1 year ago
Quoted from weaverj:

and now stern uses LED's. what's that tell you?

It tells me that Stern now uses LEDs, doesn't mean they're always better. Their new cabinets sure as hell aren't better than they used to be.

3 weeks later
#951 1 year ago
Quoted from PeterG:

I think almost all agree that there is little to tweak on the original sounds and call outs. It is my only pin with standard sound.

I agree completely, the callouts from J.K. Simmons are some of the best in any game ever and the custom music is spot-on for pinball. Since all the other clips are from the movie and not voice actors I can't think of much, if anything, I'd want changed.

#956 1 year ago
Quoted from Colsond3:

I’m back in...kind of.
[quoted image]
[quoted image]

I can't look at the art on that game and not be transported immediately back to my teenage years. I read every old Spider-Man comic my brothers had dozens of times. I don't think I've ever played that game though, will have to try to change that. Nice looking example right there!

2 months later
#1002 11 months ago
Quoted from Parzival:

#1000th post to celebrate joining the club! Should have a VE coming in the next few days. Don't know too much about it - any suggestions of what I need to do off the bat? Definitely going to add a ColorDMD and stadium lights

Play the hell out of it!!!

#1004 11 months ago
Quoted from embryon:

So are these installed each time you want to raise the playfield and lower it. Then you remove the protectors

Yes, they just slide in and slide right back out. As long as you remember to use them it only adds a minute or so to the whole process, including the time to go get the protectors out of storage.

1 month later
#1031 10 months ago
Quoted from Backdoc01:

Hello, i recently joined this club. Love the game. I’m looking for a rule sheet and/or a strategy guide. Looked up and down on PINSIDE.
THANKS

Tilt forums is my go to for rule sheets and tournament strategies.

1 week later
#1047 9 months ago

Those look too small to be speaker inserts unless your hand is huge. Are Pinbits still in business? I thought they had closed up shop which would be a shame.

2 months later
#1140 7 months ago
Quoted from FatPanda:

Given time and someone with a SMVE to test, I could probably make up a sound package. Which sounds from the OG are people looking to put into the VE?

Someone at least started a project to put the JK Simmons JJ Jameson call-outs into the Vault because they are fantastic, I don't remember how far along that progressed if at all. Personally I think the call-outs and voice actors on the VE are pretty bad, the animations are better because there are no terribly compressed and encoded live video clips to deal with.

#1151 7 months ago

There are aspects of the VE art I like better but I was a huge Spidey fan growing up and the VE Spidey doesn't look like Spidey at all to me. So even with Tobey's face on the sling plastic I still prefer that version of the art, it is much truer to what I know the characters to look like, what the hell did they do to Green Goblin in that series / game??

#1159 7 months ago
Quoted from zene10:

SM’s Green Goblin looks nothing like the pointy eared pumpkin throwing original character. SMVE’s super-roided GG is another character completely from a different series. Looks more like Hulk right down to the purple pants. In fact I grabbed the “Hulk Smash!” call out from the Avengers pin and stuck it in for a SMVE GG callout.
Back when I bought my SMVE the difference between a minty HOU and NIB VE was about $1000.
The added cost of the SMVE was worth it not to spend the time or $ to rebuild the flippers and pops of a 10 year old pin and put LEDs in.
Not to mention the pin was delivered to my door instead of spending the time and effort to drive, inspect and transport a used game (possibly repeating this when a ”perfect” game ends up being not as described). SMVE also has additional armor and better magnet protection at Ock.
So in conclusion, both art packages are horrendous. I hate your machine, you hate my machine. All the toys suck. I wish Stern offered a white wood version.
Sorry, you’ll never unsee the finger puppets of SM.

You make some good (and funny) points. To be very clear, I don't hate the VE at all, I still really like it, I just think certain aspects of the original are closer to the Spidey I grew up with. GG may not be the same as the hat wearing, pointy-eared one in the comics but it's WAY closer than the Hulk-ish one in the VE as you pointed out. As for Doc Ock, I actually thought the movie version makes sense though I agree it's not particularly true to the original comic version of him. If they had used the same kind of art from Amazing Spiderman on the VE that would warrant a significant up-charge in my book.

Obviously it depends on the deal(s) available but if it's between equal condition games and the OG is significantly less as the OP stated I would absolutely take the OG all-day. As you said they play the same and it is a great game with un-horrendous art packages.

P.S. I forget, does the VE has the same custom guitar-rock soundtrack for the Black Suit MB?? I think that's some of the better custom music Stern has ever put in a game.

#1175 7 months ago
Quoted from monkeyboypaul:

Had a really enjoyable game, lots of lanes simultaneously lit for multipliers, but SuperHero still eludes me...[quoted image]

It really is a journey to get to Super Hero on this game, I've been playing mine a lot lately and man it is brutal right now! I think I may have it set up too hard since the complete shop-job I did several months ago, the clear Titan rings on the slings make the outlanes unforgivable.

#1198 7 months ago

The LED ColorDMD is nice in Spidey because the Reds are really red, on the LCD they are a little pinkish due to the color gamut of the display panel used unless they are using different panels now.

1 week later
#1224 6 months ago
Quoted from Damien:

Agreed. Love the silkscreen!
I'm going to order the felt ones. Also need a set for my MM.
I just got the game yesterday. It has 300 plays and was just removed from the box last year. Very nice looking game.
It's running code 1.4! I haven't really looked over the machine, so not sure if they were using chips for software, or USB. Can anyone tell me?

The felt ones can do more harm than good for decaled games like MM, I'd avoid those and the plastic ones and use the Stern-style metal ones that screw into the cabinet on both games.

#1227 6 months ago
Quoted from Damien:

Do you predrill the holes, or are they push in screws?
And why would felt do damage on Spidey or MM?

I don't think any MMs were silk-screened but I could be wrong, not positive about Spidey but believe it's the same. The protectors come with self-tapping screws, no pilot holes required.

5 months later
#1405 40 days ago
Quoted from mannymasy:

Hello friends, is there any audio modification for spiderman red?

What do you want modified? The call-outs are some of the best ever in a Stern game and the custom guitar rock music is very well suited to the game.

#1417 37 days ago
Quoted from tilted81:

Does venom have more than 1 callout tho? If there isn’t more than at least 2 it’d prolly feel even more repetitive.
Dunno if it fits but in the animated series venom spoke w/ like a demonic synthed voice.. there is likely some good content to pull from

There are a few Venom call-outs, "Never wound what you can't kill" is certainly in there and one other one I believe. The main one is the screech from the movie which has never bothered me at all, then again I've never been bothered by the Sandman ones either.

#1418 37 days ago
Quoted from FatPanda:

I think he actually says something at some point, but I don't think it's a lot. There's lots of good stuff to pull from. I just haven't had the motivation to do it
Sandman is starting to get on my nerves though. When you hit him and all he says is "ok," it feels like a bit more effort could have been put in.

Isn't there an intro and final shot ready audio cue for each Sandman mode? "There's something up on the roof" and "I don't want to hurt you" are the two for the first mode I think. Each shot in between is a noise he makes when getting hit. Other ones I can remember off the top of my head are "End of line Spider-Man", Spidey's "There's a new sheriff in town" and the line from the scientists about a bird or something that will fly away.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
5,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Bentonville, AR

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider bobukcat.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside