Topic poll

“Club Spidey (Spider-Man) - Members and guests welcome”

• Spider-Man is the best Stern Pin 53 votes
    21%
  • Spider-Man is the best Super Hero Pin 128 votes
    52%
  • Black Spider-Man is Shiny 66 votes
    27%

(Multiple choice - 247 votes by 228 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

CD7240FA-1FDF-4254-BA82-E95D6C14F024 (resized).jpeg
20240213_004735 (resized).jpg
20240203_173658 (resized).jpg
SPIDEY VE CARDS (resized).jpg
4B8A3452-D70A-4439-9E59-423D20D4F63C (resized).jpeg
IMG_7235 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2071 (resized).jpeg
IMG_9275 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2094 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2095 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2096 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2090 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2086 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2092 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2085 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2091 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider MasterBlaster.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1953 3 years ago
Quoted from bobukcat:

Not only does the Goblin move on the OG but he actually looks like some version of the Green Goblin I've seen before, I don't read the newer Spidey comics so I have no idea what that thing is on the VE. Also as mentioned the J.K. Simmons custom J. Jonah Jameson callouts are some of the best in ANY Stern game, that guy IS the character even in the latest Spidey movie.

So I joined the club this week (no pics yet, as we are waiting on remaining ice around our doorways to melt, so that we can get it down to the basement). I really wanted the VE for the artwork, updated electronics and whatnot. But I just couldn’t get past the bad music, sub-par voice work and the ridiculously awful Goblin. I am a collector of the Spidey comics since just before the Todd McFarlane era. That generation of Goblin in the VE cabinet is just...the worst. Coupled with the bad voice work/callouts and it was a deal breaker. It’s unfortunate because I loved everything else about the VE. In my opinion the VE could’ve reused at least some of the voice work and been much better. But maybe licensing of the original movie property came into play or expired? I understand that Marvel was likely trying to promote the Ultimate series with this cabinet to some degree, as they were trying to appeal to a new young generation. Again, unfortunately...that generation of Spidey is very lukewarm. Looking forward to playing my OG tonight (hopefully) and getting a color dmd for it very soon!

#1955 3 years ago

Finally got Spidey set up! I have to say, the Sterns of this era feel pretty solid and well-built. They almost remind me of a Williams sys11 or WPC in that respect (I said almost) It had been many moons since I actually played this game and I forgot how tight the ramp shots are. So much stuff packed into that back area, you’d expect the underside of the playfield to be a mess...but it’s not at all. Seeing as how this is my first SAM game, is there any preventative maintenance I should be considering before I buy frivolous things like a color dmd? The game has a little over 1500 games on the clicker.

15EF3255-C123-44C5-81F4-6A9F97226A44 (resized).jpeg15EF3255-C123-44C5-81F4-6A9F97226A44 (resized).jpegE6F838B9-1F9C-4AB2-A8DB-4F854E07EDDD (resized).jpegE6F838B9-1F9C-4AB2-A8DB-4F854E07EDDD (resized).jpeg
#1957 3 years ago
Quoted from bobukcat:

Congrats! SAM is about as bullet-proof from an electronics standpoint as it gets except the tendency to pop the driver transistors under really heavy load like tournaments, at home should be no issue. If your game doesn't have the protector for the plastic back where the Sandman VUK kicks over into the pops AND that plastic is not already broken then I'd suggest you get that ASAP as you can't buy just that plastic piece. Thankfully it's hidden and most owners don't even know that plastic has been broken in my experience. I think that and the right ramp cliffy protector are all that's really important from a preventative maintenance perspective. I like ditching the fluorescent tube in the backbox for a LED panel with auto-blackout from arcadeupkeep.com or make your own (dimming or not) as well as the ColorDMD (I'd recommend LED version for Spidey but either is great) but those are definitely up to personal taste and if you want to spend the cash to get them.
I do agree that these games feel much more solidly built than Spike / Spike 2 for sure, cabinets were not yet cheapened out and the flipper feel is really good.

Thanks for the info! I had read about the sandman ramp but really wasn’t sure what/where to look. Also thanks for the clarification on the dmd...there are two versions on their website and I really wasn’t sure which one was better or even what the difference is between them. I was a bit shocked at how solid the flippers felt on Spidey versus Deadpool. A little unsettling considering I bought DP new in box and Spidey has 1500 plays! Don’t get me wrong, DP still feels like a quality machine but Spidey feels like it’s built like a tank in comparison. Speaking of tanks, my brother said “man, that Gottlieb looks like a monster sitting next to a modern Stern!” Ha! Thanks again and I’m glad to be in the club...this machine has been on my want list for quite some time.

8 months later
#2083 2 years ago
Quoted from Riefepeters:

When I acquired Spidey it had the back alley buildings and subway and I just feel the playfield is way too crowded with them in. But very nice stuff. Buildings look great and I thought about selling the set.
Then I decided to make a topper. I’m either going to light up these buildings with GI and tie some controlled lights into the white arrows on the playfield (and paint wood black)…or I’ll just sell this set.
What do you guys think as a topper?
Or does anyone want to buy this set to use in their game? Pm me if so
[quoted image]

Place the buildings so there is no gap between them, find some Spidey and villain micro figures that are the same scale, have Spidey fighting Doc on top of the subway, add strip lighting from comet to tie into your GI. It will look awesome. Or put everything back under the glass and it will also look awesome. I had mine out for a while and while I agree that it made everything feel cramped I liked how you couldn’t see the ball coming down the wire forms

#2084 2 years ago

Haven’t been in here for awhile so thought I’d include some pics. Added Comet strip lights under the subway and in one of the buildings.
Green Comet bulb in the spotlight on Gobby.
Still searching for Doc and Gobby Funkos for my topper, which is also lit with Comet strip.

4EFB4AEE-E556-46FF-A47A-D92F46C08ABA (resized).jpeg4EFB4AEE-E556-46FF-A47A-D92F46C08ABA (resized).jpegF3A5C048-85D2-4C98-847B-13E934FBBF90 (resized).jpegF3A5C048-85D2-4C98-847B-13E934FBBF90 (resized).jpegCAB79BF2-0666-47DD-8012-EEC21A5B7383 (resized).jpegCAB79BF2-0666-47DD-8012-EEC21A5B7383 (resized).jpeg
1 week later
#2088 2 years ago

So I added Color DMD LED yesterday, and I have to say I’m a little underwhelmed. I also added LED to my T2 and DE Batman yesterday, and the results were game-changing.
I’m wondering if I should’ve gone with the LCD instead?
Mainly I’m disappointed in how muddy the animations are. The still images are fine and certainly what I expected, but with some of the animations…if I hadn’t seen them on the original DMD beforehand, I would never even know what I’m looking at. I understand that there is only so much that can be done with the original dot animations, but I think because they move so fast they don’t seem to translate very well to colorization. I’ve tinkered with the contrast and brightness but that’s really not the issue.
With T2 and Batman, I said “Wow!”, and with Spidey I was like “Ehh…”
If anyone in the Spider-verse has the LCD version I’d greatly appreciate your input. Thanks!

3 weeks later
#2092 2 years ago
Quoted from Pinstein:

Gaarrggh!! My eyes!... dont have to look at that factory translite anymore! If anyone is interested in an alternate translite for their spider man VE shoot me a message.
[quoted image]

Very cool! Nice work.

#2102 2 years ago

Totally unrelated, but my wife got me this signed print for Xmas.
Artist is Jamie Tyndall if you are interested in checking out her work. She does all sorts of pinup art in various themes.

154A1057-0404-408D-AA84-49DA7C7CB748 (resized).jpeg154A1057-0404-408D-AA84-49DA7C7CB748 (resized).jpeg
1 week later
#2113 2 years ago

That looks pretty great. I don’t have a VE but I think it could still work on the standard model.

3 weeks later
#2174 2 years ago
Quoted from PinRob:

The new translite while so nice wasn’t being lit up enough with the stock fluorescent tube. So an Arcade Upkeep Dimming Backbox Panel did the trick, also got the Arcade Upkeep Stern Smart Color Under Cabinet Kit for it.
[quoted image][quoted image]

Thanks for the pic, it’s much better than the one on their website. So is it worth the $? Looks like it does a pretty good job of lighting the translite.

#2177 2 years ago
Quoted from PinRob:

Yes it’s worth it. They also go on sale every year Black Friday I think. And you can adjust how much they dim or not during gameplay and attract mode. Lights up soooo much better than the fluorescent tube.

Looks like I have one more mod for the wishlist!

2 months later
#2234 2 years ago
Quoted from Zartan:

Thank you! I think I’ll skip getting them.

I bought mine from someone who already had the buildings and train in it. I took them out at first and it looked barren. They are a pain in the keester if you have to lift the playfield, as they have to be removed every time. But I’ll be damned if they don’t look awesome af. They’re back in there now, and I can’t play without them in…they’re just too cool for school. The neat part about the buildings is that it hides the ball coming down from the venom ramp, so it makes things interesting. Really keeps you on your toes, if you like that sort of thing. All that being said, I’m not sure all of that is $400 worth of awesomeness. $200? Yes. $400? Ehhh…

#2239 2 years ago
Quoted from bobukcat:

I have them and really like them but I would not put them in if you value your art blades.

100% agree on that. Art blades have a laminated top layer that is designed to be easily cleaned. The adhesive-backed velcro will not take kindly to it and might not even stick at all.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 79.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Arcade Upkeep

$ 17.50
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Haus

$ 25.50
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Lewiston, NY
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Machine - For Sale
Rockford, IL
8,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Little River, SC
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 64.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Lermods

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 16.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Machine - For Sale
Lombard, IL
$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 25.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider MasterBlaster.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/club-spidey-members-and-guests-welcome?tu=MasterBlaster and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.