Topic poll

“Club Spidey (Spider-Man) - Members and guests welcome”

• Spider-Man is the best Stern Pin 53 votes
    21%
  • Spider-Man is the best Super Hero Pin 128 votes
    52%
  • Black Spider-Man is Shiny 66 votes
    27%

(Multiple choice - 247 votes by 228 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

CD7240FA-1FDF-4254-BA82-E95D6C14F024 (resized).jpeg
20240213_004735 (resized).jpg
20240203_173658 (resized).jpg
SPIDEY VE CARDS (resized).jpg
4B8A3452-D70A-4439-9E59-423D20D4F63C (resized).jpeg
IMG_7235 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2071 (resized).jpeg
IMG_9275 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2094 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2095 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2096 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2090 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2086 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2092 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2085 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2091 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Jediturtle.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#75 8 years ago
Quoted from Invader:

I got a ColorDMD in my spiderman, I think it's worth the improvement.
The trick is to set the contrast to 1 (default at 5), then the movie clips will become much better.
I also replaced all bulbs with LEDs, except a few for the "modes/villain circle", because these lights use "dimming" (it gets brighter everytime you defeat a villain).
Even with good LEDs, it stills flickers

A friend of mine has LEDs in his along with the LED OCD board. It's so pretty it brings a tear to my eyes. If I do not decide to update to the possible VE, I will be doing the same to mine as soon as finances allow. This is one of those games I would not LED without the OCD board...the fading and dimming effects are way too important on this one, both aesthetically and usefully.

1 month later
#99 8 years ago
Quoted from Lethal_Inc:

What about using premium non-ghosting LEDs instead of the ocd board?

You will still lose the fading/brightness effect telling you what villain levels you are on. And the cool pulsing effect from the villain spotlights.

2 months later
#153 8 years ago

I just got done putting Comet's sunlight (not too cool, not too warm) frosted 2 smds in my SM. They may be the most beautiful LEDs I've ever seen and fit the game perfectly.

2 years later
#785 6 years ago
Quoted from RGAires:

Yes, ive picked up a machine with side decals in bad shape..
So i was wondering if its a good choice, but... i dont know...!!
I would love to see if someone have something like this instaled on his game.

For what it's worth...those decals have art from the wrong movie series on them. That is from "The Amazing Spider-Man" (2012), while the pin is based on "Spider-Man" (2002). It might not bother you (and they do look nice!), but I would expect it to lower the resale value when you sell it. Then again I've seen people put original series Star Trek decals on their ST:TNG pin. LOL

#787 6 years ago
Quoted from RGAires:

"..those decals have art from the wrong movie series on them.." ive also seen that, that is a very valid point to me
Im going to share some examples, that ive made, just for fun (amateur examples), might someone come with a good ideia, kind of a brain storming

The fifth one (animated art) looks really good...but the sixth one with the logo, webs, and distressed look is freaking awesome! I'd make sure to use the right logo / font to match the game no matter which one you go with though.

2 weeks later
#794 6 years ago
Quoted from weaverj:

i also have a decent amount of dirt that's been hammered into the playfield clearcoat. naphtha and simple green not doing the trick. any ideas?

Novus 2. If still no good, magic eraser...but be careful not to go overboard with it.

4 months later
#913 5 years ago
Quoted from TomT:

Joined the club last night had to set it up at the rental (can't wait to be back in my house and game room!) little man loves it! First move is to ditch the cool white LED's probably add a shaker soon also.

Take a look at Comet's sunlight LEDs for the GI. I put them in my old SM and they looked amazing. Warmer without being as yellow as bulbs. Good stuff!

#919 5 years ago
Quoted from Jediturtle:

Take a look at Comet's sunlight LEDs for the GI. I put them in my old SM and they looked amazing. Warmer without being as yellow as bulbs. Good stuff!

Found a pic of my old machine with the Sunlight 2smbs. Pretty much the perfect light in my opinion...

9f4d09a9eee7d46e6d2c36efd1518ad28f48419a (resized).jpg9f4d09a9eee7d46e6d2c36efd1518ad28f48419a (resized).jpg
#929 5 years ago
Quoted from PeterG:

Where do those web plastics under the slingshots come from? I like the clear ones instead of the colored in most games.

Pinbits. They are subtly blue, but do not wash out the color on the plastics like most colored protectors do.

https://www.pinbits.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=13_45&products_id=384&zenid=c87a46552cc929c82b51dbba575cb949

6 months later
#1108 5 years ago
Quoted from FatPanda:

I'm also taking off Back Alley Creations Subway mod further modded with LED lights and Back Alley Creations Buildings modded with lights. Let me know if you're interested in the set. Would let it go pretty cheap compared to buying from the the store. I believe they both have wires with alligator clips connected to them, that clip onto a GI lamp to power them for lights. You would need to get new velcro strips to attach them to your game.

Did you pick up CPR9999's? Saw that when I checked out his TF...amazing game. I was slightly tempted to sell my vault and pick that one up!

I've always liked the building/subway mods, but not sure how they would look or fit on a vault. Let me know how much you were thinking...maybe I would give it a try depending.

Either way, congrats on the pick-up. SM is still one of my all time favorites!

#1110 5 years ago
Quoted from FatPanda:

Yes, that was the one I picked up. The side armor with mirror behind the webbing is, imo, the highlight of that machine. The PC blue is very nice! I'm not a huge fan of mods in general, so I took it off, and I prefer it much better. Also needed to get some white lights in the machine, since it was so dark with Blue/Red GI, plus also not a fan of colored GI in general, so I'm currently working through replacing those lights.

Yeah...the GI was the only thing I didn't love about that machine. Give Comet's Sunlight 2SMDs a try. Beautiful. There is a pic of my old machine where I used them in this thread...
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/club-spidey-members-and-guests-welcome/page/19#post-4507802

#1112 5 years ago
Quoted from FatPanda:

I generally use Comet 2SMDs in Natural white for newer games or warm white for older games. Bright without blinding and really makes games look very nice!

I like natural too for games with cooler colors. The warmer colors on SM really popped for me with the sunlights. They are half way between natural and warm...a great compromise. I would say they did not look quite as warm in person as the pic shows. Can't go wrong with either though.

6 months later
#1397 4 years ago
Quoted from BertoDRINK1:

Are there scoring or rules differences between the Orginal and the Vault? I have a Vault and the score card is exactly the same as the Orginal.

The rules are exactly the same. The modes have been renamed with new audio/video assets, but the rules for each are the same as the equivalent original.

1 month later
#1478 4 years ago
Quoted from FatPanda:

How are you guys dealing with Doc Ock Rejects? Bending the back bracket down a bit? I have a Cliffy on the Doc's hole.

When I owned my original, a bit of drop dead foam and a small tweak got it 100%. Now with my vault, I couldn't get it for the life of me. Tried bending, foam (multiple types), checking the magnet level, etc and no matter what it was rejecting nearly 50% of shots. Almost made me light it on fire. Finally determined it was the factory "cliffy" they added to the hole for the vault. Even with how thin it is, it was just enough to get the ball to hop. I ended up taking that off, adding a thin strip of mylar in its place (probably not needed at home), and it's been about 95% good since. I will still get one to hop out once in a great while, but it's rare.

2 months later
#1546 4 years ago
Quoted from matt_assassin:

Hey guys, I have a question. How do you start SUPER HERO mode ? I've hade all the story mode done + battle royale and still nothing. Only thing is that I did not finish Venom 7/8 shots.
thanks !

If you didn't finish Venom, you didn't qualify it. All three levels of each villain need to be finished, plus the 5 spider modes. Then it will start at an orbit like the other modes.

#1548 4 years ago
Quoted from rai:

Just found this newer relesheet not sure if it’s been posted. Been playing a bit more think that Venom shot is the biggest log jam for me.
I felt like SM was getting stale to me because it’s almost a bit of chopping wood but I’m going to read up on the rules to see what the points are about. Instead of just trying to get xyz mode feel like I’m not covering any new ground. Hopefully I’ll get a bit more insight like what builds bonus x and what adds to Venom points. I’m where I can earn an EB most games and get to BR like 10% but never got to SH yet.
Currently, I am not aware of the point structure and view SM more of a goal type pin but I think if I start looking at the points and how to get more I’ll get some extra enjoyment from this pin. I know with ST I didn’t really care for the rules until I began to dig into the point structure.
http://tiltforums.com/t/spider-man-rulesheet-wip/5622

For me there was a HUGE gap between hitting BR regularly and finally getting to Superhero. It took owning it two different times for about 4 years total before I finally did it, and that was just a couple months ago. I've now gotten there two more times since. At first it was usually the spider modes stopping me, so I changed my strategy to basically concentrate solely on starting them, using the multiballs whenever possible to help finish them. I find that for the most part, the villains complete themselves while playing this way (which is a little unfortunate really...). The biggest exception is Venom 3 (and sometimes Goblin 3 with its fast strobing shots). Venom 3 not only requires side ramp hits, but it also keeps the orbit gate open most of the time, so you can't get the nice feed out of the pops like usual (other than a black suit locked ball, which by then is going to require a lot of light lock hits). So it's mostly orbit-ramp combos or nothing when in single ball play. I find the best way to fight that is if you can get into a multiball, just keep hitting upper flipper shots and letting the balls drain then relaunch as long as the ball save holds out. In my three times there, I have yet to finish SH, but it's a cool mode. No idea how many shots it takes, but it seems like a million.

Have you gotten Combo Multiball yet? That's a lesser known mode that would be a good new goal for you if it's getting stale. 50 combos and it will start. Not an easy task. I've done it twice (oddly once on each machine I have owned).

I've toyed with the idea of letting mine go after finally hitting SH a couple times. I'm not a huge fan of the ruleset...I find it solid but nothing super exciting. I do not love hitting a bunch of shots to start modes, or how the villains for the most part finish themselves. I also do not love BR...not sure why. I can rarely pull off more than a couple jackpots and just do not find it as satisfying as most mini-wizard modes. But that said, I LOVE how the game shoots, and the rules do compliment the playfield well. Plus the theme, art, and A/V assets (in both forms) are fantastic, making it a total package game for me. I can play it many other places in my league and local circle, but I just do not think I would want to have it missing from my collection again. It's still one of my top games, after all these years and seeing everything it has to offer.

1 month later
#1602 4 years ago
Quoted from stoptap:

Have you completed Superhero or just started it ? It is very difficult to finish. I have got to Superhero a few times but only ever completed it once.

I have not finished it. I think I was close once...I got to the "bash Sandman a billion times" stage, but not sure how far I had to go. Very long mode...felt like I was playing SH for at least 10 minutes that time. I love the game, but there definitely some wood chopping needed to get far.

10 months later
#1877 3 years ago
Quoted from Jstampa:

This is my first post here. I'm looking for a SMVE and having no luck finding many available. Only found about 2. One has over 6,000 game plays and the other is from a dealer with only a couple hundred. He's claiming it's only been a demo game. Actually both are from dealers and claiming it's a demo game.
One is $6,400 and one is $7,300 (the less played one). I'm seeing a history of the price on these and I'm thinking it's a little high. I guess my question is what did this game sell for new and does $7,300 seem fair for one that supposedly a new demo unit with a couple hundred game plays.
Not having many options on finding one so it doesn't give me many choices. I usually do prefer buying new if possible or something with little use. The one with over 6,000 game plays seems like a lot of use already.
Thanks

6000 plays is a ton for that new of a machine. No way that was a "demo unit" unless it was "demoed" for years in a very busy location. I would steer clear from that vendor as there is no way that's true. $7300 is also crazy. Maybe if it was NIB, but not for a used machine. $6k-$6.5 would be fair for a low play HUO machine. If the demo unit was well cared for, I would put that in the same boat. I would try to be patient and watch for a realistic seller to come along, or consider a regular/original version.

#1879 3 years ago
Quoted from Jstampa:

That does sound right. Patience is virtue which is something I need to practice a little more of.
The dealer with 6,000 plays is in a large mall. They said it’s been on the floor for several years.
I guess I’ll wait. I do prefer the VE version. I’m sure something will come along. Thanks

Ahh...yeah I would definitely steer clear of that one unless it was well maintained and they come down quite a bit in price. I'd start considering it at $5800 or so depending on how much wear it has. At 6k plays, it likely has at least some wear...up to you how much you can be happy with for the price.

I totally understand it's tough to wait. But you do not want to overpay for a game you ultimately are not happy with. The right one will come along! The VE is a sweet machine. I have owned both, and I prefer bits and pieces of each of them over the other. Ultimately though, if (when, LOL) I get another one, it will be an original. I like the original call-outs much better, and find the modes more intense overall. It helps being a fan of the movies. Great machine in either form though. Best of luck in the search!

4 months later
#1972 2 years ago
Quoted from bajm:

anyone try the back alley buildings and train on a Vault edition? curious to see what it looks like. Are they worth it? I'd love to see some photos...

I had them in my VE before I sold it. You have to get creative, and all of the buildings will not fit well (at least not without more major surgery and looking weird). The train worked pretty well, but was very finicky about positioning. It will not mount as intended, but you can use velcro, bend wire mounts, etc to make it work. It's tight though. A hair down and the ball gets stuck...a hair up and it hits the glass.

The buildings are a different story. The one that goes behind Goblin doesn't fit because he's fatter and sits further back. Without that one in place, the ones on either side look really weird. The best I could do was pick and choose a couple of them that fit decent towards the back. They looked good, but not perfect. The biggest bummer was I ended up destroying the one meant to go behind Goblin while trying to modify it to work. I thought maybe making it thinner or even just using the front face only stuck right to the wall might work, but it looked stupid.

When I sold my VE I decided to keep the mods as I want an original someday, but now I have a messed up building that I probably do not have the skill to make look decent again. Oh well. In all honesty, as much as I like the buildings, they make the game feel a bit crowded. The train seems like a better fit overall, and didn't really feel crowded to me. All cool stuff though, and Matt does amazing work.

Here are a few pics from that machine before I sold it. Maybe someone more skilled than I am could have made them work better though.

I wish I would have held on to that game (man I end up saying that about a lot of them!). Had it in my head I really wanted an original instead, and I still do, but that VE is a very cool machine too. I really like them both...each have advantages and disadvantages. Gotta get myself back in the SM club sometime!

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
8 months later
#2152 2 years ago

Very happy to be back in the club. My first three-pete game, lol. Just finished installing Tilt Graphics art blades. I really love how they look. I still have my Back Alley buildings and subway from my previous game, but I never did get the buildings to fit quite right on the vault. And without the buildings to balance it, I fear the subway makes the right side feel too unbalanced. I think I will just leave it like this. These blades really finish off the vault well I think.

4F851A54-DCDB-40C9-92F0-B0440C3501A3 (resized).jpeg4F851A54-DCDB-40C9-92F0-B0440C3501A3 (resized).jpeg79A86EE5-2897-425F-8C65-C8214BDAE41F (resized).jpeg79A86EE5-2897-425F-8C65-C8214BDAE41F (resized).jpeg
#2158 2 years ago
Quoted from Ceckitti:

Damn..... you beat me to it LOL

Haha...nothing to be beaten on. I really can't sell the buildings as I have done some...er....modifications trying to get them to fit right on my previous vault. The long building that goes behind Goblin is basically destroyed. When nothing else worked, I thought maybe using the front facade only would work, but it looked really silly. So...yeah...I do not have the kind of skill it would take to make it look right again.

The subway I still may or may not use. It might end up as a topper even. I like that damn thing quite a bit.

1 week later
#2168 2 years ago
Quoted from ledzepp79use:

The mini gate doesn't look bent down to me, but then again I don't exactly have a direct point of reference to compare it to. I'll have to look more closely at some photos and see if I notice anything different about the appearance of the one on my table. I'll also check to see if I can slide it inward at all. Thanks for the tip with the paperclips as well.

I would just run a ball along it manually to see if the gate is causing the hang-up or not. I would be very surprised if it's just a slightly raised insert stopping the ball if you are really at the proper pitch. I know you mentioned the bubble is at the top line, but know that the bubble can often not be trusted. I would use a digital level, angle finder, or even a phone app to check, and make sure you are checking directly on the playfield (not the glass, cabinet, etc). Sorry if that is information you already know, but just covering the basics since you mentioned it's your first machine. At either rate, it seems to me the playfield would have to be super shallow and floaty to allow a ball to stop there.

1 month later
#2190 2 years ago

Always LOVED that topper. If memory serves that had to be one of, if not the first aftermarket topper ever sold. If I had the ceiling room I would love to have one. I'm assuming I don't, but just in case...how tall is it?

1 year later
#2491 5 months ago
Quoted from Pinball-Obsessed:

I have a silly question.
Does either version of spider man have a sandman multiball???
I could swear I’ve gotten sandman multi ball when I played it on location, previous to owning it…
I’ve owned Spider-Man for almost two years now and I thought maybe I just wasn’t getting the myltiball because of a setting issue. Just looked up the rules and I don’t see that it has a sandman mutiball? Is this right?

Nope. That said there is a stage in the Superhero wizard mode where you just bash Sandman a billion times. Maybe that’s what you are remembering?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 79.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Arcade Upkeep

$ 17.50
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Haus

$ 25.50
6,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Saint Johns, MI
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

8,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Little River, SC
7,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Delta, BC
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 64.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Lermods

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 16.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Machine - For Sale
Milford, CT
$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 25.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Jediturtle.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/club-spidey-members-and-guests-welcome?tu=Jediturtle and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.