Topic poll

“Club Spidey (Spider-Man) - Members and guests welcome”

• Spider-Man is the best Stern Pin 53 votes
    21%
  • Spider-Man is the best Super Hero Pin 128 votes
    52%
  • Black Spider-Man is Shiny 66 votes
    27%

(Multiple choice - 247 votes by 228 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

CD7240FA-1FDF-4254-BA82-E95D6C14F024 (resized).jpeg
20240213_004735 (resized).jpg
20240203_173658 (resized).jpg
SPIDEY VE CARDS (resized).jpg
4B8A3452-D70A-4439-9E59-423D20D4F63C (resized).jpeg
IMG_7235 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2071 (resized).jpeg
IMG_9275 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2094 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2095 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2096 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2090 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2086 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2092 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2085 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2091 (resized).jpeg
There are 2,516 posts in this topic. You are on page 35 of 51.
#1701 3 years ago
Quoted from dimthedaylights:

So pulled the trigger went led. But quick question am I supposed to have a visible gap between the display? Should I just reverse the mounting bolts?
[quoted image]

What are your thoughts about the led? You happy with the choice?

#1702 3 years ago
Quoted from dimthedaylights:

So pulled the trigger went led. But quick question am I supposed to have a visible gap between the display? Should I just reverse the mounting bolts?
[quoted image]

I do not have a gap. But I do put some tape at the top to ensure no light gets in from the backbox. Now they are perfect black!

#1703 3 years ago
Quoted from embryon:

What are your thoughts about the led? You happy with the choice?

I’m super impressed how much a difference the color makes. I didn’t think it would be that much better but it definitely is.

As far as led vs lcd until I get an lcd I won’t truly know but I do like the deep colors of the led

#1704 3 years ago

I just installed the color DMD lcd version. Does anyone have a preferred setting for dots?

#1705 3 years ago
Quoted from Jaeg:

I just installed the color DMD lcd version. Does anyone have a preferred setting for dots?

DotsXL for me.

#1706 3 years ago

Not sure if this was a good idea, but decided to put some EL wire onto spidey's ramps today...
(regarding the votes from a few days ago...i'd go LED but i like normal DMDs so...)

spid.jpgspid.jpg
#1707 3 years ago

Looks great, how did you wire it?

#1708 3 years ago
Quoted from shovelhed:

Looks great, how did you wire it?

Got the stern cabinet power splitter from Pinball Life (bit of a luxury really), got some blue EL PC-modding wire with the usual connectors, 2 of them into a 12v box - then that into the normal Stern 3-pin molex. All comes with the wire just have to wire red and black into the molex plug.

Then just cable-tied at every ramp rail join. Sadly not really long enough to do the whole length of the ramps - but hey. Mine were 1.5m each length, I think you'd need 3m cable to do a full ramp. Also, there's not really a point where the ball may hit the tie as it only runs along the top edge around corners. Seems to run cleanly. So on mine, there's no point where the wire is tied on a bend, just bend the wire smoothly to shape and keep it tight.

Spider-man is quite handy as it has a hole bang in the middle of the back panel to run cables through invisibly.

#1709 3 years ago

Looks great well done

#1710 3 years ago

Hi

Could some kind person please take a close-up or two of this area? I'm buying a Spidey at a good price but it looks like the blue pad and end of the ramp might have broken off.

TIA

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#1711 3 years ago
Quoted from insx:

Hi
Could some kind person please take a close-up or two of this area? I'm buying a Spidey at a good price but it looks like the blue pad and end of the ramp might have broken off.
TIA[quoted image]

Here you go. Mine was missing this rubber piece and both the Venom ramp and left ramp were broken because of it. Bought new ramps and ordered all the parts and installed it. Now all is right with the world.

Left Ramp 2 (resized).jpgLeft Ramp 2 (resized).jpgLeft Ramp 3 (resized).jpgLeft Ramp 3 (resized).jpgLeft ramp 1 (resized).jpgLeft ramp 1 (resized).jpg
#1712 3 years ago
Quoted from Supersquid:

Here you go. Mine was missing this rubber piece and both the Venom ramp and left ramp were broken because of it. Bought new ramps and ordered all the parts and installed it. Now all is right with the world.

Thank you so much. Did you have to transfer decals to the new ramps?

#1713 3 years ago
Quoted from insx:

Thank you so much. Did you have to transfer decals to the new ramps?

Had to buy new ones. Pinball life sells all 3 ramp decals as a set

#1714 3 years ago

It's pretty easy for the ramp (I forget which one) to get broken even with the blue nubs in place. If I remember correctly the game came with 3 out of the 4 ramp protectors (the metal pieces on the sides of the ramp entrances) when the game shipped. Why they put 3 on there and left the 4th one off....who knows. I'm sure they save a $1 or less and have sold a shed ton of ramps because of it. Anyway...I can't even remember which one it was. I have all 4 now, but remember one of them being an aftermarket add-on.

#1715 3 years ago
Quoted from DugFreez:

It's pretty easy for the ramp (I forget which one) to get broken even with the blue nubs in place. If I remember correctly the game came with 3 out of the 4 ramp protectors (the metal pieces on the sides of the ramp entrances) when the game shipped. Why they put 3 on there and left the 4th one off....who knows. I'm sure they save a $1 or less and have sold a shed ton of ramps because of it. Anyway...I can't even remember which one it was. I have all 4 now, but remember one of them being an aftermarket add-on.

It's the right ramp. I bought the full Cliffy's set and it comes with the protector for the right ramp.

1 week later
#1716 3 years ago

As far as I know most of the Stern games have the flipper alignment hole positioned at the tip of the flipper. The holes in my SM are way off from the tip. Why is it like this in SM? Is everyone else’s like that? What good are the alignment holes if they are way off like that? Currently my flippers are in line with the ball guides. Just curious.

35C42F9B-B957-4D3A-8689-9402B36C4B17 (resized).jpeg35C42F9B-B957-4D3A-8689-9402B36C4B17 (resized).jpeg
#1717 3 years ago
Quoted from Lethal_Inc:

As far as I know most of the Stern games have the flipper alignment hole positioned at the tip of the flipper. The holes in my SM are way off from the tip. Why is it like this in SM? Is everyone else’s like that? What good are the alignment holes if they are way off like that? Currently my flippers are in line with the ball guides. Just curious.
[quoted image]

I always align my flippers with the ball guides.

#1718 3 years ago
Quoted from Lethal_Inc:As far as I know most of the Stern games have the flipper alignment hole positioned at the tip of the flipper. The holes in my SM are way off from the tip. Why is it like this in SM? Is everyone else’s like that? What good are the alignment holes if they are way off like that? Currently my flippers are in line with the ball guides. Just curious.
[quoted image]

I believe that you are looking at the holes for the uninstalled “anti-bounce back” bars. There are two more holes close to the center post.

For this game the flipper alignment holes are slightly under the flipper. Move one up and you will see that you are probably pretty close to being dead on. My flippers are set a little lower relative to the holes, but not much.

#1719 3 years ago

Left the club today. I never thought it would come to this but my beautiful Spidey red and I parted today. He has a good new home. We will see how I will go on. Thanks all in this tolic for the support, ideas and discussions. Have fun and if you are fishing for a compliment...try the next pond!.....mic drop.

#1720 3 years ago

So my Spidey arrived and there's more broken stuff than I realised. Can I please get a photo of how this part should look? (I know the plastics are missing).

IMG_20200603_202227 (resized).jpgIMG_20200603_202227 (resized).jpg
#1721 3 years ago

Hope this picture helps...Ignore the spider man and new goblin figurines, those were added.

sm pic (resized).jpgsm pic (resized).jpg
#1722 3 years ago
Quoted from Angel:

Hope this picture helps...Ignore the spider man and new goblin figurines, those were added.

Thanks, it looks like I'm missing a long hex post (not sure if that's the correct term) that goes in front of the star post.

#1723 3 years ago

Is anyone selling the plastic sides for the VUK arch?

#1724 3 years ago
Quoted from insx:

Is anyone selling the plastic sides for the VUK arch?

Pinbits.

http://www.pinbits.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=13_45

#1725 3 years ago
Quoted from insx:

So my Spidey arrived and there's more broken stuff than I realised. Can I please get a photo of how this part should look? (I know the plastics are missing).[quoted image]

Any use?

15DCE5D4-BFD0-43E2-9B10-0B33F7F03664 (resized).jpeg15DCE5D4-BFD0-43E2-9B10-0B33F7F03664 (resized).jpeg457380A7-B0D1-4B4C-8E98-5D4D91E9A2ED (resized).jpeg457380A7-B0D1-4B4C-8E98-5D4D91E9A2ED (resized).jpeg67EF81E6-A95B-4E52-A25D-127479BB7678 (resized).jpeg67EF81E6-A95B-4E52-A25D-127479BB7678 (resized).jpegAD64DB5C-5183-4280-98E3-E45164CC2BDA (resized).jpegAD64DB5C-5183-4280-98E3-E45164CC2BDA (resized).jpegBFC35E9B-AAAE-46D8-B289-E3FE66F95830 (resized).jpegBFC35E9B-AAAE-46D8-B289-E3FE66F95830 (resized).jpegDC8866BF-F5ED-4B90-ADC3-DF46B09690FB (resized).jpegDC8866BF-F5ED-4B90-ADC3-DF46B09690FB (resized).jpeg
#1726 3 years ago

Very good, all I need now is the height of the pillar. Maybe that's in the manual.
Update: I don't think the manual is that detailed.

#1727 3 years ago
Quoted from insx:

Very good, all I need now is the height of the pillar. Maybe that's in the manual.
Update: I don't think the manual is that detailed.

it's 1 and 3/4 inches long (took the glass off to check)

#1728 3 years ago

Deleted

#1729 3 years ago

My top Sandman arrow and the Sandman flasher are not working. It seems odd that these are the only two lights not working but the wiring at the holders look OK. Is there any weird reason for this or is it just normal lamp/flasher diagnostics at this point?

#1730 3 years ago
Quoted from insx:

My top Sandman arrow and the Sandman flasher are not working. It seems odd that these are the only two lights not working but the wiring at the holders look OK. Is there any weird reason for this or is it just normal lamp/flasher diagnostics at this point?

If LEDs, make sure the little wires on the plastic end are turned out a bit.

Otherwise, for the controlled light, look at the lamp matrix and follow the two wires to other lights on the row and on the column and make sure that the wire didn't break off on the upstream wire from either the row or column.

For the flasher, also check the wires from the other flashers to ensure the wire did not break at an upstream flasher.

Just for sanity check, if above does not work, you went into the all lamp test and the top arrow is the only one not working? Same for testing the flashers?

#1731 3 years ago

Just joined the club again with a Spiderman Vault Edition. Love the game and it is in like new condition. This one has interactive lights in the backboard that I have never seen before. They are awesome, but a bit bright, as are the stock LED's.

I owned a Spidy Vault in the past and I do not remember the LED's being so bright.

I may end up replacing some of the factory LED's with softer ones and add a color dmd.

#1732 3 years ago
Quoted from mbelofsky:

Just for sanity check, if above does not work, you went into the all lamp test and the top arrow is the only one not working? Same for testing the flashers?

The arrow lamp was the only one not lighting in the all lamps test and the arrow flasher was not lighting during the flasher cycle. However, I just had the weirdest repair session ever. I couldn't see any breaks in the wiring so I tested for volts at the arrow lamp and saw some so I replaced the bulb and it worked. The reason it's weird is that the bulb I replaced was a brand new one. After that, I tested the flasher in the single flasher test and it worked.

#1733 3 years ago
Quoted from insx:

The arrow lamp was the only one not lighting in the all lamps test and the arrow flasher was not lighting during the flasher cycle. However, I just had the weirdest repair session ever. I couldn't see any breaks in the wiring so I tested for volts at the arrow lamp and saw some so I replaced the bulb and it worked. The reason it's weird is that the bulb I replaced was a brand new one. After that, I tested the flasher in the single flasher test and it worked.

Great. I have had brand new LEDs and regular lights not work also. Strange that changing a light would somehow affect the flasher. But if it works, don't question it.

#1734 3 years ago
Quoted from Viperbsd:

Just joined the club again with a Spiderman Vault Edition. Love the game and it is in like new condition. This one has interactive lights in the backboard that I have never seen before. They are awesome, but a bit bright, as are the stock LED's.
I owned a Spidy Vault in the past and I do not remember the LED's being so bright.
I may end up replacing some of the factory LED's with softer ones and add a color dmd.

Are the general illumination LEDs frosted or clear. When I got my vault it had the factory clear top LEDs and they were horrible, swapped em all out for frosted dome topped LEDs

#1735 3 years ago
Quoted from PinRob:

Are the general illumination LEDs frosted or clear. When I got my vault it had the factory clear top LEDs and they were horrible, swapped em all out for frosted dome topped LEDs

I just looked and they are all clear. Looks like I need to visit Comet LED's again. Thanks

#1736 3 years ago
Quoted from Viperbsd:

stick an LED OCD board in it - that way you can lower brightness uniformly. Plus you get a much smoother lightshow, the way it was designed. I'd do that before swapping out the LEDs, although i also prefer frosted domes over clears.

ColorDMD goes without saying!

#1737 3 years ago

My Spidey spinner constantly finishes spinning in the horizontal position so that the ball then just rolls under it without a single spin. I adjust it and first hit it finishes in the same position. Any tips to make it finish its spin facing vertically?

EE3F50F1-A3C3-4421-B18C-AA0FAB7CB29D (resized).jpegEE3F50F1-A3C3-4421-B18C-AA0FAB7CB29D (resized).jpeg
#1738 3 years ago
Quoted from allsportdvd:

My Spidey spinner constantly finishes spinning in the horizontal position so that the ball then just rolls under it without a single spin. I adjust it and first hit it finishes in the same position. Any tips to make it finish its spin facing vertically?
[quoted image]

I’ve just posted about this in the AC-DC thread.

You can gently bend the spinner rods that go through the holes. You may need to support the spinner bracket with one hand (depending on how much it flexes). Firmly grab the spinner blade and push it upwards (firmly but gently). It will alter how the spinner sits. You may need to push the spinner in different directions to get the angle you want. Try it, you will soon see what I am talking about.

#1739 3 years ago
Quoted from allsportdvd:

[quoted image]

Try loosening the screw on the right and slide the bracket. Sometimes my spinner gets stuck in the up direction and this is how I’ve fixed it

#1740 3 years ago
Quoted from monkeyboypaul:

stick an LED OCD board in it - that way you can lower brightness uniformly. Plus you get a much smoother lightshow, the way it was designed. I'd do that before swapping out the LEDs, although i also prefer frosted domes over clears.
ColorDMD goes without saying!

This is a good idea I had not thought of and much easier than swapping out all the LED’s

#1741 3 years ago
Quoted from Viperbsd:

This is a good idea I had not thought of and much easier than swapping out all the LED’s

LED OCD may require a little different hook up on the vault edition that came set up already with LEDs. I don’t remember specifically but I’d ask around how to do it first

#1742 3 years ago
Quoted from PinRob:

LED OCD may require a little different hook up on the vault edition that came set up already with LEDs. I don’t remember specifically but I’d ask around how to do it first

It’s just removal of the little crappy sub boards on each lamp matrix connector (bottom left of the left board). Iron Man VE, MET Pro & TWD Pro (amongst others) had them too. They’re there to mask the ghosting! LED OCD solves that for you too.

#1743 3 years ago

It’s just removal of the little crappy sub boards on each lamp matrix connector (bottom left of the left board). Iron Man VE & TWD Pro (amongst others) had them too. They’re there to mask the ghosting! LED OCD solves that for you too.

Good to know as I ordered the LED OCD board a few hours ago. Does anyone know if instructions are included for installing into the Spidy Vault Edition ?

#1744 3 years ago
Quoted from Viperbsd:

Does anyone know if instructions are included for installing into the Spidy Vault Edition ?

Not explicitly for SM Vault, but generically for Stern SAM games:

Install:
http://www.ledocd.com/install_sam_r5.html

Software usage:
http://www.ledocd.com/usage_led.html

(You may decide that Profile 7, the one it defaults to for all inserts, needs to be less bright at the top end, in which case maybe use Profile 6 for all inserts. The only thing i always change is the delay number to either 1 or 2).

Also read up around this post https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/club-spidey-members-and-guests-welcome/page/32#post-5402774
as there's a setting (maybe more than 1), which may be worth playing with after install, but then you're into "fiddly & subtle" territory.

#1745 3 years ago

Install:
Software usage:
(You may decide that Profile 7, the one it defaults to for all inserts, needs to be less bright at the top end, in which case maybe use Profile 6 for all inserts. The only thing i always change is the delay number to either 1 or 2).
Also read up around this post https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/club-spidey-members-and-guests-welcome/page/32#post-5402774
as there's a setting (maybe more than 1), which may be worth playing with after install, but then you're into "fiddly & subtle" territory.

Herg should have SMVE on his site. I corrected the naming differences from SM to SMVE and sent it to him a while ago.

#1746 3 years ago

Install:
Software usage:

Thank you. Appreciate the help !

#1747 3 years ago

Well I installed the LED OCD board into my Spidy Vault and what a difference it makes. I had to use the default settings as I am unable to get the LedOcd App to open on either of my laptops, but that is ok as it looks so much better.

I did not receive a USB cable with my kit so I am using an old one I had laying around, so that could be part of the issue with getting the app to load.

Now I need one for my TSPP that is also running all LED's

#1748 3 years ago

Glad you’re happy. Great product.

Contact herg as he’s usually good at supporting.

Games like TSPP and LOTR look terrible without LED OCD. Apologies if I just cost you a lot more money....

#1749 3 years ago

Games like TSPP and LOTR look terrible without LED OCD. Apologies if I just cost you a lot more money....

No problem and this hobby always cost me money, but that is ok.

I think this may be one of the best bang for buck mods out there. I did a before and after video just so I could see the difference and it is amazing how much better it looks with the LED OCD board installed.

herg did reach out to me this morning via email and I sent him a screenshot of the error I am getting. I am sure it is something I am doing wrong.

#1750 3 years ago
Quoted from Viperbsd:

I did a before and after video just so I could see the difference and it is amazing how much better it looks with the LED OCD board installed.

Could you post the video? I’d love to see it!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 79.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Arcade Upkeep

$ 17.50
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Haus

$ 25.50
Machine - For Sale
Rockford, IL
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Lewiston, NY
7,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Delta, BC
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 64.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Lermods

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 16.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

6,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Saint Johns, MI
$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 25.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 2,516 posts in this topic. You are on page 35 of 51.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/club-spidey-members-and-guests-welcome/page/35 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.