Topic poll

“Club Spidey (Spider-Man) - Members and guests welcome”

• Spider-Man is the best Stern Pin 53 votes
    21%
  • Spider-Man is the best Super Hero Pin 128 votes
    52%
  • Black Spider-Man is Shiny 66 votes
    27%

(Multiple choice - 247 votes by 228 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

CD7240FA-1FDF-4254-BA82-E95D6C14F024 (resized).jpeg
20240213_004735 (resized).jpg
20240203_173658 (resized).jpg
SPIDEY VE CARDS (resized).jpg
4B8A3452-D70A-4439-9E59-423D20D4F63C (resized).jpeg
IMG_7235 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2071 (resized).jpeg
IMG_9275 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2094 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2095 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2096 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2090 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2086 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2092 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2085 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2091 (resized).jpeg
There are 2,516 posts in this topic. You are on page 32 of 51.
#1551 4 years ago

For me, back handing Doc-Oc is the best and easiest way to get him. The right ramp and either ramp for that matter is hard to back hand but can be done. Need to get the ramp shots down from the opposite flippers and you’ll see flow galore. That’s the awesomeness in this game along with all the modes and multi balls and villain battles. Practice practice. It’s one of the best!

#1552 4 years ago

Left ramp quite easy to back hand, doc oc can be done, right ramp I think I've done it but more so accidentally. Have not mastered the right ramp back hand at all

#1553 4 years ago

Getting bit better got to BR again (twice in 10 games). Got my highest score ever, think I was a few shots away on Venom and Doc Oc and maybe one more white mode to get to SH (never got to it in my life). SO I think it'll just be a bit more practice. My problem is that with so many pins I will go months without playing something or other the newer ping get played most.

FCC377D5-192A-41C7-9960-5F8147642B43 (resized).jpegFCC377D5-192A-41C7-9960-5F8147642B43 (resized).jpeg

#1554 4 years ago

Just an update on my spidey issue. Played a few games and had no unexpected end of balls or two balls in play outside of multiball. However I have notice sometimes and it has happened during a game i have had the sudden end of ball issue that my white mode inserts don't alternate when the slings or pops are hit. Also I noticed only one white insert is lit once I completed all the other white shots and when I make that single white shot the mode starts.

Normally you make all the white shots, then shoot another for the doubler, then one of the orbit shots to start a mode. This issue occurs at random games not all.

Can the trough cause this or am I looking more at software problem? I have the latest code. You think I need to reload the software, it's been OK for more than a year now.

#1555 4 years ago

Just joined the club acquiring a HUO only SM from a local pinhead. He kept good care of it but is mostly stock minus a few minor mods.

I like LED's in my games and am contemplating buying a comet or pinbulbs kit for SM. Do non-ghosting comets work well with SM? I want non-ghosting LED's but realize no kit may be perfect.

Any opinions on which kit and LED's work best for this game? Any insight is appreciated.

#1556 4 years ago
Quoted from Utesichiban:

Just joined the club acquiring a HUO only SM from a local pinhead. He kept good care of it but is mostly stock minus a few minor mods.
I like LED's in my games and am contemplating buying a comet or pinbulbs kit for SM. Do non-ghosting comets work well with SM? I want non-ghosting LED's but realize no kit may be perfect.
Any opinions on which kit and LED's work best for this game? Any insight is appreciated.

Before you buy non-ghosting LEDs, take a look at the fading effect SM has in relation to its modes and multipliers. You will not get those effects with non-ghosting LEDs. The closest you will get to the incandescent lighting effect will be using ghosting LEDs with a LED OCD board. I had that setup and it worked well. I did not see the game with incandescent bulbs so I cannot compare the LED OCD setup to the original setup. If you do not care about the fading effects, then go with the non-ghosting LEDs.

#1557 4 years ago
Quoted from Monk:

Before you buy non-ghosting LEDs, take a look at the fading effect SM has in relation to its modes and multipliers. You will not get those effects with non-ghosting LEDs. The closest you will get to the incandescent lighting effect will be using ghosting LEDs with a LED OCD board. I had that setup and it worked well. I did not see the game with incandescent bulbs so I cannot compare the LED OCD setup to the original setup. If you do not care about the fading effects, then go with the non-ghosting LEDs.

Seconded. I replaced bulbs with regular Comet LEDs with an OCD board. It’s either that or incandescent bulbs. LEDs on their own just look all blinky and wrong.

#1558 4 years ago

Which inserts have the fading effect? I might try using incandescents only on those so I can see the original effect. Thanks

#1559 4 years ago
Quoted from Utesichiban:

I had non ghosting in my spiderman when I got it and it still had a ghosting effect. I then went with the led ocd board and non ghosting bulbs and all is right with the world. I would spend the extra money and go this route.

#1560 4 years ago

Does Spiderman VE have the fading effects since it comes with LEDs from the factory. Did Stern somehow compensate for this?
Could it use an OCD board to get these effects back?

#1561 4 years ago

I have non ghosting leds but still some ghosting, barely noticable. I did not change the villains inserts as they have the fading effect. The rest I do not know about fading? The vault edition did not have that fading. anyway, the fading of the villains can also be left out since you can also see the progress with each villain, but normaly the brighter the light burns the more you progressed on tat specific villain.

#1562 4 years ago

I believe the fading effect is also in place for the white arrow playfield multipliers, 2x is lighter than 3x.

#1563 4 years ago
Quoted from marspinball:

Does Spiderman VE have the fading effects since it comes with LEDs from the factory. Did Stern somehow compensate for this?
Could it use an OCD board to get these effects back?

As the Vault Edition was designed with LEDs from the factory, but still runs on SAM (which is shite at "LEDs and dimming") I believe they changed it to an insert flash rather than an insert dim effect.

I'm not sure if they left a LEDs/Incandescant options in the setting though, like they did to Iron Man VE, which allows you to choose which light show you want. In IMVE I used the incandescent option - as i'm using LEDs with an OCD board. This gives me the original IM light show, not the compromised VE version which covers up the SAM shortcomings of LEDs and Dimming by basically removing them.

#1564 4 years ago
Quoted from monkeyboypaul:

As the Vault Edition was designed with LEDs from the factory, but still runs on SAM (which is shite at "LEDs and dimming") I believe they changed it to an insert flash rather than an insert dim effect.
I'm not sure if they left a LEDs/Incandescant options in the setting though, like they did to Iron Man VE, which allows you to choose which light show you want. In IMVE I used the incandescent option - as i'm using LEDs with an OCD board. This gives me the original IM light show, not the compromised VE version which covers up the SAM shortcomings of LEDs and Dimming by basically removing them.

I've played the VE quite a bit and don't remember ever seeing any kind of flashing villain inserts, they just go solid on once you complete the first mode for each. It is possible it's a setting but I don't think it is. See the 9:00 mark of this video for how they light as you complete the first mode:

#1565 4 years ago
Quoted from bobukcat:

I've played the VE quite a bit and don't remember ever seeing any kind of flashing villain inserts, they just go solid on once you complete the first mode for each. It is possible it's a setting but I don't think it is. See the 9:00 mark of this video for how they light as you complete the first mode:

Check Feature Adjustment #49
pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

I don't see any blinking on that video...So as you say it's far more likely set to the alternative: dim, but the dimming isn't at all obvious due to the way SAM drives LEDs and the specific Stern factory LED characteristics when driven at low levels. I think they also add a little pair of matrix terminator boards on the SAM boards (bottom left of the left PCB in the backbox - the insert lights come out of these) to reduce LED ghosting, which makes it even worse! so instead of any dimming, we just see it go on or off.

On the original Spiderman the levels are described as:

Villain Level 0 - Off
Villain Level 1 - B2 & B3
Villain Level 2 - B5 & B6
Villain Level 3 - B8

which translates nicely for Herg's guidance at the very bottom of this page: http://www.ledocd.com/usage_led.html

If i had a VE (i have an original), i'd either set FA#49 to Blink for the quick/cheap fix, OR set it to Dimming AND use the OCD board (without the matrix terminator boards).

All that for a really subtle feature

Still a great game.

#1566 4 years ago

[quoted image]
I don't see any blinking on that video...So as you say it's far more likely set to the alternative: dim, but the dimming isn't at all obvious due to the way SAM driver LEDs and the specific Stern factory LED characteristics when driven at low levels. I think they also add a little pair of matrix terminator boards on the SAM boards (bottom left of the left PCB in the backbox - the insert lights come out of these) to reduce LED ghosting, which makes it even worse! so instead of any dimming, we just see it go on or off.
Villain Level 0 - Off
Villain Level 3 - B8
which translates nicely for Herg's guidance at the very bottom of this page: http://www.ledocd.com/usage_led.html
If i had a VE (i have an original), i'd either set FA#49 to Blink for the quick/cheap fix, OR set it to Dimming AND use the OCD board (without the matrix terminator boards).
Still a great game.

Good info! I guess that the factory default is set to dimming, my buddy Brazy has one and if I remember to I'll mess with those settings next time I'm over there. It is a pretty subtle feature but a cool touch that gets lost in translation to LEDs unless you use the OCD board.

#1567 4 years ago

Getting off my ass after Xmas to solve some issues with my collection. Update weird end if ball stuff. I think it was my trough sw#22 trough jam. Notice this switch was on while ball was draining prematurely. Found both opto pcbs loose and could be rotated a good 5 degrees. Tightened and no issue for one game, but will test play further over the week. Next is twd

#1568 4 years ago

[quoted image]
I don't see any blinking on that video...So as you say it's far more likely set to the alternative: dim, but the dimming isn't at all obvious due to the way SAM drives LEDs and the specific Stern factory LED characteristics when driven at low levels. I think they also add a little pair of matrix terminator boards on the SAM boards (bottom left of the left PCB in the backbox - the insert lights come out of these) to reduce LED ghosting, which makes it even worse! so instead of any dimming, we just see it go on or off.
Villain Level 0 - Off
Villain Level 3 - B8
Still a great game.

Am I correct to assume this is for the ve model as I can't find it on my red version

Btw which inserts have the pulsing /blink features. Like is it the green target bombs or the actual goblin mission inserts ie God speed spiderman, suffer the children etc.

Would someone please confirm which ones so I can change them to incandescents and see the effect. Thanks

#1569 4 years ago
Quoted from embryon:

Am I correct to assume this is for the ve model as I can't find it on my red version
Btw which inserts have the pulsing /blink features. Like is it the green target bombs or the actual goblin mission inserts ie God speed spiderman, suffer the children etc.
Would someone please confirm which ones so I can change them to incandescents and see the effect. Thanks

Correct - Vault only.

The 4 villain inserts near the flippers and the 6 white arrows all light at low, medium and full brightness. They don’t blink on the original. Pretty sure the green goblin inserts do something when they’re roving too, but can’t remember.

#1570 4 years ago
Quoted from embryon:

I can’t remember all of the inserts that fade, but it is a lot of them. Correct me if I’m wrong, but I believe it is at least:

The 4 villain inserts in the center will be dimly lit after one mission and get brighter as you progress through the 3 modes for each villain.

I think the 3 mode inserts for goblin and doc ock.

The white arrows for your playfield multiplier.

The standup targets for both goblin and sandman (fade as they move from one insert to the next)

#1571 4 years ago

Because of the fading, I tried every kind of led I could on my SM red. I finally broke down and bought the ocd led and had it programmed by the maker. Best purchase I ever made for SM. I wanted LEDs in the game but they were blinding and would blink quickly when they should have been lit before ocd led. After, everything worked perfect and was not blinking.

#1572 4 years ago
Quoted from Monk:

I can’t remember all of the inserts that fade, but it is a lot of them. Correct me if I’m wrong, but I believe it is at least:
The 4 villain inserts in the center will be dimly lit after one mission and get brighter as you progress through the 3 modes for each villain.
I think the 3 mode inserts for goblin and doc ock.
The white arrows for your playfield multiplier.
The standup targets for both goblin and sandman (fade as they move from one insert to the next)

Well there is a difference between fading and dimming. All incandescent bulbs fade in and out, it is caused by the warming and cooling of the element heating up and cooling down. As for dimming the four villain inserts vary in brightness to indicate progress and the white arrow inserts have different brightness to indicate 2x and 3x shot multipliers. No other inserts utilize dimming to indicate progress.

#1573 4 years ago
Quoted from bobukcat:

Well there is a difference between fading and dimming. All incandescent bulbs fade in and out, it is caused by the warming and cooling of the element heating up and cooling down. As for dimming the four villain inserts vary in brightness to indicate progress and the white arrow inserts have different brightness to indicate 2x and 3x shot multipliers. No other inserts utilize dimming to indicate progress.

Yes and no LEDs dim or fade without the LED OCD board.

#1574 4 years ago

Hey anyone know or can guess what add#202 would mean or any of these numbers. I'm guessing the top code is the playfield part number for spiderman

IMG20200113223007 (resized).jpgIMG20200113223007 (resized).jpg
#1575 4 years ago
Quoted from embryon:

Hey anyone know or can guess what add#202 would mean or any of these numbers. I'm guessing the top code is the playfield part number for spiderman[quoted image]

mine doesn't have that - it's a 2007 model. Maybe it's a later run - additional??

#1576 4 years ago

mine doesn't have that - it's a 2007 model. Maybe it's a later run - additional??

Yes it was the last run model so that may explain the "add' thanks. I wonder if 202 is like an le number where the last run was made up of X produced.

1 week later
#1577 4 years ago
Quoted from Supersquid:

I had non ghosting in my spiderman when I got it and it still had a ghosting effect. I then went with the led ocd board and non ghosting bulbs and all is right with the world. I would spend the extra money and go this route.

How much is the board and how difficult/easy is it to install?

#1578 4 years ago
Quoted from Utesichiban:

$135.00
I haven't installed one, but it does not look bad at all.

http://ledocd.com/cart/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1&products_id=2

#1579 4 years ago

Is there a movie theme soundpackage available?

#1580 4 years ago
Quoted from Utesichiban:

$135.00 sounds right and it was easy to install. There is even settings already pre set for Spider-Man which is what I use.

#1581 4 years ago
Quoted from RCA1:

$135.00
I haven't installed one, but it does not look bad at all.
http://ledocd.com/cart/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1&products_id=2

LED OCD boards are super simple to install. You will spend more time reviewing the instructions than performing the actual install.
Great product.

#1582 4 years ago

Anybody know who made these Mirror Speaker grill inserts for Stern Spiderman VE

F214972B-092A-41F9-BF13-D1D23A85ADC3 (resized).jpegF214972B-092A-41F9-BF13-D1D23A85ADC3 (resized).jpeg
#1583 4 years ago
Quoted from PinRob:

Anybody know who made these Mirror Speaker grill inserts for Stern Spiderman VE[quoted image]

I think, or thought, Little Shop of Games, but I don't see them on their website. I see some other related things they used to have listed not on their site anymore so maybe they were the ones that had them, but stopped. So, I'm not sure, but I think the Spider Bods belonged to them.

#1584 4 years ago

The little little flap that nudges the ball to the upper flipper shot, it’s only slowing the ball down half the time is that normal? Other times the ball is not effected.

#1585 4 years ago
Quoted from rai:

The little little flap that nudges the ball to the upper flipper shot, it’s only slowing the ball down half the time is that normal? Other times the ball is not effected.

The gate? I’m no SM expert but that’s only happened to me maybe twice in a year of owning it.

#1586 4 years ago
Quoted from rai:

Well, It's not really meant to slow the ball down as much as keep it against the rail on the right side. If the ball is already hugging the rail on the right (or have some speed on it)...it probably won't hit the gate at all.

#1587 4 years ago
Quoted from PinScott:

LED OCD boards are super simple to install. You will spend more time reviewing the instructions than performing the actual install.
Great product.

Thank you!

#1588 4 years ago

Can anyone tell me what type of led’s I should order for the back part of SM for the 3 blue Venom lights and 3 Sandman lights (bayonet or standard type - looks like I have to remove the back to see what they are))? Also, I know Venom’s are blue but are Sandman’s yellow or orange?

Lastly, what type of leds would be best to replace the 5 blue and 5 red leds at the back, upper part of the game (condoms, etc)? Any insight is appreciated!

#1589 4 years ago
Quoted from Utesichiban:

Can anyone tell me what type of led’s I should order for the back part of SM for the 3 blue Venom lights and 3 Sandman lights (bayonet or standard type - looks like I have to remove the back to see what they are))? Also, I know Venom’s are blue but are Sandman’s yellow or orange?
Lastly, what type of leds would be best to replace the 5 blue and 5 red leds at the back, upper part of the game (condoms, etc)? Any insight is appreciated!

They are 44 / 47 bulbs.

I would go with the original...colored incandescent bulbs (blue and yellow). They are the best of both worlds in my opinion. They look good when they are not on and the look good when they are on. Classy is really how I would describe colored incandescent bulbs. I don't like the cheap look of the condoms or the white domes on direct view indicator LED lights. Also...some LEDs won't fit in the Venom and Sandman mode indicator locations as the bulbs can be fatter than the holes in the backboard.

https://www.pinballlife.com/colored-incandescent-bulbs.html

As for the back row of lights, they were originally white...and I can't see any reason they would be anything else. I can see a person switching them to LEDs, but I would keep them white, but may make sure to go with a warm or "sunlight" white to go along with the backboards skyline theme.

#1590 4 years ago

Hi guys,

New in the SP club, finally after one year of begging, I was able to buy a 2007 Spiderman in fair condition from a local arcade park, it needs some restoration but definitely the flippers needs to be replaced, coils, etc, Marcos doesn’t got them on stock..... any other place???? Thanks.

Gustavo

55834FD4-08C4-4876-803C-8DDC7E63A2F2.jpeg55834FD4-08C4-4876-803C-8DDC7E63A2F2.jpegDD5870DD-C69D-4D2E-8736-37B99BA8772F.jpegDD5870DD-C69D-4D2E-8736-37B99BA8772F.jpeg
#1591 4 years ago
Quoted from DugFreez:

They are 44 / 47 bulbs.
I would go with the original...colored incandescent bulbs (blue and yellow). They are the best of both worlds in my opinion. They look good when they are not on and the look good when they are on. Classy is really how I would describe colored incandescent bulbs. I don't like the cheap look of the condoms or the white domes on direct view indicator LED lights. Also...some LEDs won't fit in the Venom and Sandman mode indicator locations as the bulbs can be fatter than the holes in the backboard.
https://www.pinballlife.com/colored-incandescent-bulbs.html
As for the back row of lights, they were originally white...and I can't see any reason they would be anything else. I can see a person switching them to LEDs, but I would keep them white, but may make sure to go with a warm or "sunlight" white to go along with the backboards skyline theme.

Exactly this. Use the colored incandescents in blue and yellow for the backboard villain lights and frosted sunlights for the top ones.

#1592 4 years ago
Quoted from Haggy38:

Hi guys,
New in the SP club, finally after one year of begging, I was able to buy a 2007 Spiderman in fair condition from a local arcade park, it needs some restoration but definitely the flippers needs to be replaced, coils, etc, Marcos doesn’t got them on stock..... any other place???? Thanks.
Gustavo[quoted image][quoted image]

Welcome. BTW why do you think the flipper coils need replacing? I always thought coils either work or they don't. Coil sleeves wear though and flipper mechs bind etc.

#1593 4 years ago
Quoted from Haggy38:

Hola chicos,
Nuevo en el club SP , finalmente después de un año de mendicidad, pude comprar un Spiderman 2007 en buenas condiciones en un parque arcade local, necesita algo de restauración, pero definitivamente las aletas deben ser reemplazadas, bobinas, etc., Marcos no No los tengo en stock ... ¿¿¿¿¿otro lugar ???? Gracias.
Gustavo[quoted image][quoted image]

Magnifica maquina...de mis preferidas. Enhorabuena

#1594 4 years ago
Quoted from embryon:

Welcome. BTW why do you think the flipper coils need replacing? I always thought coils either work or they don't. Coil sleeves wear though and flipper mechs bind etc.

They are in horrible condition and all moving parts are wasted, switches broken etc. I'm looking the flippers rebuild kit.

Gustavo

#1596 4 years ago
Quoted from Utesichiban:

Can anyone tell me what type of led’s I should order for the back part of SM for the 3 blue Venom lights and 3 Sandman lights (bayonet or standard type -

Heres a pic of mine with the color incandescents and frosted cool whites.

94663D12-D7D2-42AA-BCD6-AE6161BF0910 (resized).jpeg94663D12-D7D2-42AA-BCD6-AE6161BF0910 (resized).jpegFFD65C1E-CE6A-4445-A212-C477137D33E4 (resized).jpegFFD65C1E-CE6A-4445-A212-C477137D33E4 (resized).jpeg
#1597 4 years ago

I recently joined the club and noticed I’m missing a part here. I think it’s a ball guide with a blue rubber attached but not sure what part it is and if it’s available anywhere.

181CCED3-6809-44DC-9050-3C5320D1B770 (resized).jpeg181CCED3-6809-44DC-9050-3C5320D1B770 (resized).jpeg
#1598 4 years ago

Mine was missing it as well when I got it. The problem with it not there is that the ball can slam the edge of the Venom ramp and break it. With the guide and rubber there, it makes the Venom shot tighter, but protects the ramp. Here are the parts you need and Marco has them in stock:
1 ea 535-0029-00 Ramp wall protector
1 ea 626-5075-00 Blue 1/4" rubber bumper
1 ea 535-9648-00 Holder
2 ea 237-5983-02 #4-40 screw
2 ea 240-5005-00 6-32 nylon lock nut

I had to drill 1 or 2 holes in the side of the center ramp to hold it on. If you have the manual, go to page 86 and it shows as part 9.
Also included a picture of after I put it on, but before I got rid of all the color led GI and replaced with frosted sunlight ones from Comet.

IMG_1223 (resized).JPGIMG_1223 (resized).JPG
#1599 4 years ago

That’s great, thank you!

#1600 4 years ago
Quoted from jdoz2:

That’s great, thank you!

Marco is probably the best bet to get all the parts in one place:
https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/535-0029-00

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 79.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Arcade Upkeep

$ 17.50
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Haus

$ 25.50
Machine - For Sale
Rockford, IL
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

6,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Saint Johns, MI
Machine - For Sale
Milford, CT
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 64.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Lermods

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 16.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

8,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Little River, SC
$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 25.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 2,516 posts in this topic. You are on page 32 of 51.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/club-spidey-members-and-guests-welcome/page/32?hl=supersquid and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.