Topic poll

“Club Spidey (Spider-Man) - Members and guests welcome”

• Spider-Man is the best Stern Pin 53 votes
    21%
  • Spider-Man is the best Super Hero Pin 128 votes
    52%
  • Black Spider-Man is Shiny 66 votes
    27%

(Multiple choice - 247 votes by 228 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

CD7240FA-1FDF-4254-BA82-E95D6C14F024 (resized).jpeg
20240213_004735 (resized).jpg
20240203_173658 (resized).jpg
SPIDEY VE CARDS (resized).jpg
4B8A3452-D70A-4439-9E59-423D20D4F63C (resized).jpeg
IMG_7235 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2071 (resized).jpeg
IMG_9275 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2094 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2095 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2096 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2090 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2086 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2092 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2085 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2091 (resized).jpeg
There are 2,516 posts in this topic. You are on page 24 of 51.
#1151 5 years ago

There are aspects of the VE art I like better but I was a huge Spidey fan growing up and the VE Spidey doesn't look like Spidey at all to me. So even with Tobey's face on the sling plastic I still prefer that version of the art, it is much truer to what I know the characters to look like, what the hell did they do to Green Goblin in that series / game??

#1152 5 years ago
Quoted from GCS2000:

So we are looking Spidey as our next game. It seems the consensus is the VE is better but man the originals price on the used market is 2-3k less. Is the VE really all that over the 07 model?

I own a vault. If you can find a great condition original, get it. $2k-3k goes a long way for replacement parts and aftermarket armor.

That being said, I love my vault. I prefer the comic book art over the movie.

The original has better call outs and voices, but nothing that can’t be “fixed” with pinball browser in the VE.

#1153 5 years ago
Quoted from bobukcat:

Someone at least started a project to put the JK Simmons JJ Jameson call-outs into the Vault because they are fantastic, I don't remember how far along that progressed if at all. Personally I think the call-outs and voice actors on the VE are pretty bad, the animations are better because there are no terribly compressed and encoded live video clips to deal with.

That was me.

“Power of the sun...” back in

All J.K. Simmons back in, plus some extras from SM not used by the game programming but exist nonetheless.

Maguire “whoo hooo” Ramps back in, better than SMVE voice actor.

Progressed so far then a combo of hard drive crash, new baby, and moving across the country put everything on hold.

Possible revisit after TPF.

#1154 5 years ago
Quoted from bobukcat:

There are aspects of the VE art I like better but I was a huge Spidey fan growing up and the VE Spidey doesn't look like Spidey at all to me. So even with Tobey's face on the sling plastic I still prefer that version of the art, it is much truer to what I know the characters to look like, what the hell did they do to Green Goblin in that series / game??

I hear this argument a lot (the VE doesn’t look like the classic SM comic book) in the threads. I own a SMVE (and regret not picking up a NIB SM when they came out).

Neither SM nor SMVE are the “spider-man I grew up with” past a certain period.

I actually prefer the art on The Amazing Spider-Man pin to either SM or SMVE.

So buy what you can afford/like/is available. The game play is the same. You’ll be happy with either.

Skip the rest of the rant below.

As far as the SMVE sucks vs SM ...

SM Doc Ock looks nothing like the classic character from the comics. He looks like he’s cosplaying every character from The Matrix - including the sentinels - as a finger puppet. SMVE toy is closer to the original character, except the addition of steroids.

SM Venom toy doesn’t look like Venom introduced in the comics. SMVE venom toy looks less like a finger puppet (SM) but seems to go to the same gym as Ock.

SMVE has a Sandman that at least keeps the striped shirt (again the toy plus steroids. Can you really juice sand?) of the original less the groot face of SM. Again, what’s with the finger puppets in SM?

Are the only characters in SM with legs spider-man and green goblin (on a hover board stolen from Marty McFly)? Is “power of the sun” just a stolen flux capacitor?

SM’s Green Goblin looks nothing like the pointy eared pumpkin throwing original character. SMVE’s super-roided GG is another character completely from a different series. Looks more like Hulk right down to the purple pants. In fact I grabbed the “Hulk Smash!” call out from the Avengers pin and stuck it in for a SMVE GG callout.

Back when I bought my SMVE the difference between a minty HOU and NIB VE was about $1000.

The added cost of the SMVE was worth it not to spend the time or $ to rebuild the flippers and pops of a 10 year old pin and put LEDs in.

Not to mention the pin was delivered to my door instead of spending the time and effort to drive, inspect and transport a used game (possibly repeating this when a ”perfect” game ends up being not as described). SMVE also has additional armor and better magnet protection at Ock.

So in conclusion, both art packages are horrendous. I hate your machine, you hate my machine. All the toys suck. I wish Stern offered a white wood version.

Sorry, you’ll never unsee the finger puppets of SM.

#1155 5 years ago
Quoted from zene10:

I hear this argument a lot (the VE doesn’t look like the classic SM comic book) in the threads. I own a SMVE (and regret not picking up a NIB SM when they came out).
Neither SM nor SMVE are the “spider-man I grew up with” past a certain period.
I actually prefer the art on The Amazing Spider-Man pin to either SM or SMVE.
So buy what you can afford/like/is available. The game play is the same. You’ll be happy with either.
Skip the rest of the rant below.
As far as the SMVE sucks vs SM ...
SM Doc Ock looks nothing like the classic character from the comics. The Matrix style duster jacket on a finger puppet? SMVE toy Is closer to the original character, except the addition of steroids.
SM Venom toy doesn’t look like Venom introduced in the comics. SMVE venom toy looks less like a finger puppet (SM) but seems to go to the same gym as Ock.
SMVE has a Sandman that at least keeps the striped shirt (again the toy plus steroids. Can you really juice sand?) of the original less the groot face of SM. Again, what’s with the finger puppets in SM?
Are the only characters in SM with legs spider-man and green goblin (on a hover board stolen from Marty McFly)? Is “power of the sun” just a stolen flux capacitor?
SM’s Green Goblin looks nothing like the pointy eared pumpkin throwing original character. SMVE’s super-roided GG is another character completely from a different series. Looks more like Hulk right down to the purple pants. In fact I grabbed the “Hulk Smash!” call out from the Avengers pin and stuck it in for a SMVE GG callout.
Back when I bought my SMVE the difference between a minty HOU and NIB VE was about $1000.
The added cost of the SMVE was worth it not to spend the time or $ to rebuild the flippers and pops of a 10 year old pin and put LEDs in.
Not to mention the pin was delivered to my door instead of spending the time and effort to drive, inspect and transport a used game (possibly repeating this when a ”perfect” game ends up being not as described). SMVE also has additional armor and better magnet protection at Ock.
So in conclusion, both art packages are horrendous. I hate your machine, you hate my machine. All the toys suck. I wish Stern offered a white wood version.

How's your playfield holding out? I've heard that people are getting wear from the Web slinger vuk but only Hearsay. My Sm had no dimples so maybe the extra ock protection was necessary for softer pf?? BTW I've never seen a smve in the flesh but nearly bought one but gble won out.

I wonder if you can interchange smve venom to Sm. And maybe doc ock to remove the finger puppets

#1156 5 years ago
Quoted from embryon:

How's your playfield holding out? I've heard that people are getting wear from the Web slinger vuk but only Hearsay. My Sm had no dimples so maybe the extra ock protection was necessary for softer pf?? BTW I've never seen a smve in the flesh but nearly bought one but gble won out.
I wonder if you can interchange smve venom to Sm. And maybe doc ock to remove the finger puppets

Stern replaced my playfield ... twice.

Not going to get into the dimple debate.

#1157 5 years ago
Quoted from zene10:

Stern replaced my playfield ... twice.
Not going to get into the dimple debate.

Ooooooof..... that SUX

#1158 5 years ago
Quoted from hoby1:

Ooooooof..... that SUX

Not if he's happy now with his 3rd playfield.

#1159 5 years ago
Quoted from zene10:

You make some good (and funny) points. To be very clear, I don't hate the VE at all, I still really like it, I just think certain aspects of the original are closer to the Spidey I grew up with. GG may not be the same as the hat wearing, pointy-eared one in the comics but it's WAY closer than the Hulk-ish one in the VE as you pointed out. As for Doc Ock, I actually thought the movie version makes sense though I agree it's not particularly true to the original comic version of him. If they had used the same kind of art from Amazing Spiderman on the VE that would warrant a significant up-charge in my book.

Obviously it depends on the deal(s) available but if it's between equal condition games and the OG is significantly less as the OP stated I would absolutely take the OG all-day. As you said they play the same and it is a great game with un-horrendous art packages.

P.S. I forget, does the VE has the same custom guitar-rock soundtrack for the Black Suit MB?? I think that's some of the better custom music Stern has ever put in a game.

#1160 5 years ago
Quoted from bobukcat:

I forget, does the VE has the same custom guitar-rock soundtrack for the Black Suit MB?? I think that's some of the better custom music Stern has ever put in a game.

David Thiel is the man! Best in the business, as far as I'm concerned.

#1161 5 years ago

Didn't realize people were so stuck on one side or the other sorry for the heat folks.

The reason for posting is I have yet to see a VE for less than I think $6300 (most over that amount) seen several OG Spideys for $5000 and a couple in the low 4ks - hence 2k + difference. $500 difference I would go with whatever was in the best condition, had most mods with it etc.

I actually like both art packages myself. I kinda prefer the VE a little bit more on the playfield but actually like the OG for the cabinet. Can't stand the slings on the OG but they can be swapped with aftermarket ones.

Dots/animation IMHO are better on the VE, callouts better on the OG. As far as the toys/figures I prefer the OG figures but with biglaw mods of course other than Sandman as I prefer the VE figure to be honest. VE has LEDs major plus however you can LED an OG and most people have these days.

Essentially neither one is "perfect" in my eyes since I like things from both machines. Most likely I will end up with an OG just to save some $$ especially since game play is the same.

#1162 5 years ago

I ended up with a really nice modded OG. It was within my price range and though I prefer the VE art package better, the OG art package doesn't bother me as much as I thought it would. Same with the toys, I prefer the toys on the VE better, but don't mind the toys on the OG after owning it for a few weeks. Still an awesome shooting game regardless of which one you go with. Both games rock! The one thing that I like the VE version better on is the dots. The digitized movie clips don't look good on a DMD.

#1163 5 years ago

I got my 500 plays VE for $6k and sold the topper for a net price of $5830

Added over 5 years ago:

#1164 5 years ago

Realistically, I'd say it's about a $1,500 difference between a VE and an OG in similar condition. You should be able to pick up a stock HUO VE for $6k and a stock HUO OG for $4,500 or so. You can narrow that gap if you buy an OG with a lot of mods on it. People tend to be quicker to take a loss on mods if they have had the game a while.

#1165 5 years ago

I'll just keep my eyes open and whatever pops up as a good deal I'll probably grab.

Would love one with a colordmd and big law mods. I think the back alley mods are amazing but cover up/block too much of the PF - just my opinion of course.

#1166 5 years ago
Quoted from GCS2000:

I'll just keep my eyes open and whatever pops up as a good deal I'll probably grab.
Would love one with a colordmd and big law mods. I think the back alley mods are amazing but cover up/block too much of the PF - just my opinion of course.

Right. With SM just buy the deal. They are both good. I had a choice between a VE at $5900 with invisaglass or a routed orginal for $4200 with a couple of mods and I went with the VE. The Back Alley mods are cool, but yes a little large. I would add a color DMD on either SM you choose.

Also SM would go great with your POTC JJP, Houdini, and MB. Fun lineup! I always think the coolest pinheads are the ones who like a little of everything.

I don't really bother with online "My way or the highway" opinion folks. You don't seem like you do either with your diverse collection. Good luck getting SM!

#1167 5 years ago

That is correct we get the games we like and with a small collection (not much space) we try to be diverse where we can.

With no Stern in the line up it would be nice to fill our last slot with one and Spidey is one of their best IMHO. The only other ones I would consider from them at this point would be TSPP, Star Trek LE, X-Men LE, Avengers LE or maybe GOG. Not really interested in the rest I have played from them at this time.

#1168 5 years ago

When I was looking, had a choice between VE and OG. I played both andI went with OG for the callouts. They are some of the best. Not only that, with the OG, you get Bonesaw mode and the callouts on that are great. Who doesn't like Macho Man Randy Savage and Peter's line of "Nice outfit, did your husband pick it for you?? I also like the movies and they integrated it very well in the machine. That being said, if you are not partial to the movies, I would go with whatever comes up that looks good. Since they both play the same, you aren't loosing out on anything.

#1169 5 years ago

I SURRENDER!!!
i am with you on this. \
Love the Original movie call outs and the Macho Man .
Met him and Elizabeth at the SiNy mall back in the late 80's , Nice people Ohhhh Yeah!

Quoted from Supersquid:

When I was looking, had a choice between VE and OG. I played both andI went with OG for the callouts. They are some of the best. Not only that, with the OG, you get Bonesaw mode and the callouts on that are great. Who doesn't like Macho Man Randy Savage and Peter's line of "Nice outfit, did your husband pick it for you?? I also like the movies and they integrated it very well in the machine. That being said, if you are not partial to the movies, I would go with whatever comes up that looks good. Since they both play the same, you aren't loosing out on anything.

#1170 5 years ago

Topper? Hmmm

5CE01AA2-78BA-4314-978F-1864979B72F7 (resized).jpeg5CE01AA2-78BA-4314-978F-1864979B72F7 (resized).jpeg8BD12AEE-A2E7-41A0-A54A-F25B2905B4A8 (resized).jpeg8BD12AEE-A2E7-41A0-A54A-F25B2905B4A8 (resized).jpeg
#1172 5 years ago

A NECA 2003 limited edition statue for a topper. Simple and it fits my low ceilings
21F3333A-B04C-4F94-AD92-DB1F38FEEEAF (resized).jpeg21F3333A-B04C-4F94-AD92-DB1F38FEEEAF (resized).jpegD6C43873-C43A-4008-AE25-656B2D34925A (resized).jpegD6C43873-C43A-4008-AE25-656B2D34925A (resized).jpeg

#1173 5 years ago
Quoted from PinRob:

A NECA 2003 limited addition statue for a topper. Simple and it fits my low ceilings [quoted image][quoted image]

So it is an “LA” and not an “LE”.

Hope you are enjoying it!

#1174 5 years ago

Had a really enjoyable game, lots of lanes simultaneously lit for multipliers, but SuperHero still eludes me...

54612D5E-9257-4A90-86B1-BF8F9E4A180F (resized).jpeg54612D5E-9257-4A90-86B1-BF8F9E4A180F (resized).jpeg
#1175 5 years ago
Quoted from monkeyboypaul:

Had a really enjoyable game, lots of lanes simultaneously lit for multipliers, but SuperHero still eludes me...[quoted image]

It really is a journey to get to Super Hero on this game, I've been playing mine a lot lately and man it is brutal right now! I think I may have it set up too hard since the complete shop-job I did several months ago, the clear Titan rings on the slings make the outlanes unforgivable.

#1176 5 years ago

I don't have this game anymore but I worked on a alternate music code if anyone wants it, have at it.
I did not change any of the callouts, sorry.
this is for the Vault edition only.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Y_adeMD_ckesAnDSkPPyGkOlxcifwKRF/view?usp=sharing

#1177 5 years ago

I'm thinking about changing my xmen pro against original spiderman.
Is it a good trip?

20190310_010515 (resized).jpg20190310_010515 (resized).jpg
#1178 5 years ago

Man, Spidey is so good. Great theatrics, callouts, and mechs. The Spidey Black LE is all that and a little more! That's all I have on the subject for now.

#1179 5 years ago
Quoted from mannymasy:

Is it a good trip?

I'd say both game are about equal. SM shoots better, but X-Men has better rules.

#1180 5 years ago
Quoted from mannymasy:

Is it a good trip?
[quoted image]

Personal preference; I’d choose SM over XMen.

#1181 5 years ago

It is a difficult decision

#1182 5 years ago

Going to get regular SM's metal trim done!

Opinions: Spiderman-blue or chrome?

e.g.

Blue: https://back-alley-creations.myshopify.com/products/spider-man-candy-blue-powder-coating-job

Chrome: https://pinside.com/pinball/market/classifieds/archive/58089

Currently leaning towards blue...

#1183 5 years ago

e.g.
Blue: https://back-alley-creations.myshopify.com/products/spider-man-candy-blue-powder-coating-job

Blue for me

#1184 5 years ago

I’ll tell ya....... no matter what version of SM you get it a top 10 for me.

I am soooo glad to have one back even after owning three times. It’s just a complete package and such a satisfying game.

Considering what these new games cost and system they run on ,SM is the best value in the market right now. Just paid 5k for a unmolested HUO bone stock one from the original owner with receipts.

Could not be happier !!!

#1185 5 years ago

Chrome looks AMAZING!

e.g.

#1186 5 years ago

On a regular SM the blue looks better. Chrome looks better for the black edition.

#1187 5 years ago

Chrome...for me...

#1188 5 years ago
Quoted from hoby1:

I’ll tell ya....... no matter what version of SM you get it a top 10 for me.
I am soooo glad to have one back even after owning three times. It’s just a complete package and such a satisfying game.
Considering what these new games cost and system they run on ,SM is the best value in the market right now. Just paid 5k for a unmolested HUO bone stock one from the original owner with receipts.
Could not be happier !!!

Value compared to the going prices for SM vs. what other games are going for certainly is a reason I have not sold mine. SM is definitely undervalued in today's pin market.

#1189 5 years ago

e.g.

I powder all my games and had blue on mine.

I also tied in the t-moulding as well.

IMG_20180812_213109 (resized).jpgIMG_20180812_213109 (resized).jpgIMG_20180812_213300 (resized).jpgIMG_20180812_213300 (resized).jpg
#1190 5 years ago
Quoted from Meegis:

I powder all my games and had blue on mine.
I also tied in the t-moulding as well.
[quoted image][quoted image]

Looks good - blue is winning for me...

I had started looking at the blue T-moulding too, but thought i'd wait for the metal to be done before jumping in.

#1191 5 years ago
Quoted from PeterG:

On a regular SM the blue looks better. Chrome looks better for the black edition.

agree 100%

#1192 5 years ago

Just snagged a huo Spidey. Picking up next week. Super excited, such a cracking game

#1193 5 years ago
Quoted from Huggers:

Just snagged a huo Spidey. Picking up next week. Super excited, such a cracking game

Nice. 12yrs old now...

Only negative is it's probably my least favourite ColorDMD out of the games i own, just because the original videos are pretty poor. Still better than the orange shite though!

#1194 5 years ago

Nice. 12yrs old now...
Only negative is it's probably my least favourite ColorDMD out of the games i own, just because the original videos are pretty poor. Still better than the orange shite though!

Yeah time flies right. I think a colour dmd is the one thing I may get for it, it's completely stock at the moment. I'm tempted to LED it but not sure I can be bothered to go the LED OCD route as I tend not to hang onto games all that long.

#1195 5 years ago

My only negative about this game is the info screen and the boring dmd extra ball screen. Videos are also bad in most parts and was going a colour display would help. I'm considering bung color dmd but need to hear from those that have it or have seen it on the flesh

#1196 5 years ago
Quoted from embryon:

My only negative about this game is the info screen and the boring dmd extra ball screen. Videos are also bad in most parts and was going a colour display would help. I'm considering bung color dmd but need to hear from those that have it or have seen it on the flesh

there was a video posted a couple pages back (I had asked the same). I think it's 100% better than the orange DMD. Mine has a red filter, but I'm also thinking about changing it out to color, since the contrast is just so much better.

#1197 5 years ago

Color DMD is the best mod you can do for any game. The videos look better in dots then in hi res but a must buy for sure. I also really like the spider sense to shooter lane mod as it takes away the cheap drains when you hit that shot. This game is the whole package IMO. Great rules, great call outs, and great wizard modes.

#1198 5 years ago

The LED ColorDMD is nice in Spidey because the Reds are really red, on the LCD they are a little pinkish due to the color gamut of the display panel used unless they are using different panels now.

#1199 5 years ago

I am having an issue where the game is freezing mid game. All lights and dmd remain on. I have been unable to diagnose the problem. Tonight it froze and I reset it and walked away for a while. The interesting thing is that when I came back to it, it was still in attract mode. I only touched the lockdown bar and it froze. Any help would be appreciated.

#1200 5 years ago
Quoted from dawgs:

I am having an issue where the game is freezing mid game. All lights and dmd remain on. I have been unable to diagnose the problem. Tonight it froze and I reset it and walked away for a while. The interesting thing is that when I came back to it, it was still in attract mode. I only touched the lockdown bar and it froze. Any help would be appreciated.

First thing I would do is check the connections around the coin, door, interlock and start button to make sure they are secure.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 64.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Lermods

Machine - For Sale
Lombard, IL
$ 17.50
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Haus

$ 16.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 25.50
$ 79.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Arcade Upkeep

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

8,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Little River, SC
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

Machine - For Sale
Rockford, IL
Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

arcade-cabinets.com

Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 25.95
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Lewiston, NY
$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 79.99
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 2,516 posts in this topic. You are on page 24 of 51.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/club-spidey-members-and-guests-welcome/page/24?hl=monkeyboypaul and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.