Topic poll

“Club Spidey (Spider-Man) - Members and guests welcome”

• Spider-Man is the best Stern Pin 40 votes
    23%
  • Spider-Man is the best Super Hero Pin 95 votes
    55%
  • Black Spider-Man is Shiny 39 votes
    22%

(Multiple choice - 174 votes by 159 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

There have been 340 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

MVIMG_20190405_213751 (resized).jpg
D869B072-8FFD-4AAC-B2C7-C37AB704D0AA (resized).jpeg
5446C5ED-C617-4024-A98A-51B51380C355 (resized).jpeg
IMG_20190321_100850 (resized).jpg
20190321_092002 (resized).jpg
20190321_092025 (resized).jpg
20190321_092009 (resized).jpg
BD589E1B-01CC-411A-BEAB-F4CA1EE723F3 (resized).jpeg
3A43EF97-C7DE-4CBF-9B82-20C28C9A51D2 (resized).jpeg
41C13733-F148-4914-A5C6-4A3957B8DF12 (resized).jpeg
12663D33-966E-4B51-8E8E-39834EF74F72 (resized).jpeg
6D5EE58A-5A32-4B77-B2AD-44B49563055B (resized).jpeg
AB6632BB-7397-4DC3-8057-A083A848F30A (resized).jpeg
SM (resized).jpg
11059E7D-B1B8-4272-B833-4AA4466472C3 (resized).jpeg
IMGP0557 (resized).JPG

There are 1273 posts in this topic. You are on page 11 of 26.
#501 2 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

I think it is worth re-posting the link to Bowen's SM tutorial. It is one of the best tutorials I have seen in pinball and really helps one appreciate the nuances of the code.
» YouTube video

DC....with all your helpful posts in WOZ, and now SM, I was starting to believe you were stalking me. Turns out, you just have good taste in pins

Btw, if anyone think this game is too easy or has long ball times, remove the center post and throw some lightning flippers and enjoy a whole new game

#502 2 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

DC....with all your helpful posts in WOZ, and now SM, I was starting to believe you were stalking me. Turns out, you just have good taste in pins
Btw, if anyone think this game is too easy or has long ball times, remove the center post and throw some lightning flippers and enjoy a whole new game

Yeah. I just try to help out here when I feel I have some info that might help others, oftentimes it is in the LOTR, SM, and WOZ threads.
Since I am limited to four games by agreement with my wife I decided to get games I knew I liked. I am always debating what game would go if/when something interests me but it is going to have to be something that really is proven and a theme I like to get me to move one out to bring one in.

#503 2 years ago

Anyone know where I can buy the folding SM topper to replace the "TOURNAMENT" one that came stock? Don't want the lit up topper just a replacement for the folding sign. Thanks.

#504 2 years ago
Quoted from yuriijos:

Anyone know where I can buy the folding SM topper to replace the "TOURNAMENT" one that came stock? Don't want the lit up topper just a replacement for the folding sign. Thanks.

What does the folding SM topper look like? I don't think I have ever seen something like that. Are you referring to the McKee topper?

#505 2 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

Yeah. I just try to help out here when I feel I have some info that might help others, oftentimes it is in the LOTR, SM, and WOZ threads.
Since I am limited to four games by agreement with my wife I decided to get games I knew I liked. I am always debating what game would go if/when something interests me but it is going to have to be something that really is proven and a theme I like to get me to move one out to bring one in.

Smart man. I'm trying to go back to this philosophy in this hobby.

#506 2 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

See page 92 of the owner's manual. It is item 7 on ball guide 10 plus a bumper holder and screws.
The rubber bumper is part number 626-5067-00

thanks a lot for the info and the fast reply.

#507 2 years ago

Just joined the club. Idiot me didn't realize that Spidey was old enough to have incandescent bulbs. Did later runs have LEDs?

Anyways, I want to LED this thing. Already had one PS'er send me a nice PM but looking for other ideas and answers.
How did you all handle the following:

1.) Inserts. Non-ghosting LEDs required? What colors did you go with (some are obvious like red and green inserts), but natural white in the white inserts? What about Battle Royale? Purple passions? In the inserts...1 SMD? 2 SMD? etc...

2.) Above playfield lighting. There are several areas where Stern used colored 555s (green goblin, the venom and sandman mode lights on the back box, etc....). What did folks use here? Frosted? I kind of like the exposed colored incandescent look, but that's hard to achieve with LEDs (particularly yellows that are really weak).

3.) Any color changing around the GI?

Documented examples would be great even though they photograph poorly.

#508 2 years ago
Quoted from wxforecaster:

Just joined the club. Idiot me didn't realize that Spidey was old enough to have incandescent bulbs. Did later runs have LEDs?
Anyways, I want to LED this thing. Already had one PS'er send me a nice PM but looking for other ideas and answers.
1.) Inserts. Non-ghosting LEDs required? What colors did you go with (some are obvious like red and green inserts), but natural white in the white inserts? What about Battle Royale? Purple passions? In the inserts...1 SMD? 2 SMD? etc...
2.) Above playfield lighting. There are several areas where Stern used colored 555s (green goblin, the venom and sandman mode lights on the back box, etc....). What did folks use here? Frosted? I kind of like the exposed colored incandescent look, but that's hard to achieve with LEDs (particularly yellows that are really weak).

I used green and red purple and blue frosted under those color inserts and sunlight white frosted from comet pinball under the rest.
Also used Comet Sunlight frosted for my GI.
I do have green flashers under the Goblin area and blue flasher behind Venom.
No color changers.

#509 2 years ago

Spiderman is the worst ghosting game I've ever seen. The inserts use multiple dimming levels, which does not work well with regular LEDs. However, you lose these effects completely if you get non-ghosting LEDs. I highly recommend getting regular LEDs/SMDs and an LED OCD board. It was really a night and day difference after I added the board. Plus getting regular LEDs saves a little money and helps defray the cost of the board.

My SM came with Coin taker 2 LED bulbs in the inserts. I'm usually a 1 SMD Comet guy but they looked fine. I also usually prefer warm whites, but cool whites were definitely the way to go for the white inserts. The purple CT bulb also looks fine in the Battle Royale insert.

As always, your LED tastes may vary from mine.

#510 2 years ago

Congrats!! SM is a great game! I love mine!
SM really ghosts bad!! I used the Cointaker premium non ghosting bulbs in mine. The 2X and 3X scoring inserts do have the different degrees of brightness, although not as noticeable as incandescent bulbs.
http://cointaker.com/t/premium-/-non-ghosting
Chris and Melissa @ Cointaker are great to deal with and I think there is a discount code for Pinside? though I can't remember what it is...
Color choice IMO is strictly your thing...I personally don't care for multi colored GI...I will put a colored bulb here or there to accent a feature or something just not all over the GI. I generally go with frosted cool white in GI the frosted helps with not blinding the player. Under PF I generally match insert colors with bulb colors (exception being yellow and orange as they don't show up much different). Clear inserts, I will use different colored bulbs to match features that go with said inserts (ie. lock inserts are green so the light lock inserts would be green to match what they go with) As I said though it is personal preference. My suggestion would be to get a sample pack or 2 and try out different colors and see what you like.

Phoebe

#511 2 years ago

LEDOCD with regular LEDs is the way to go.

#512 2 years ago

Wow, this is really the first game where I've seen such an overwhelming response to get an LED OCD.
The price is rather expensive, but in reality, the price difference between regular bulbs and 1 or 2 SMD non-ghosting may offset most of that.

I've gone with CoinTaker before but am using COMET recently just because they have some really neat varieties that CT doesn't carry. Breaking them open, the guts of the non-ghosting bulbs are the same, so it probably doesn't matter which company I go with. It sounds like either way (plus the gentlema who PM'd me) you still have very noticeable issues even after that.

Last night I put some non-ghosting bulbs in the center area (modes and villians) and saw some bizarre strobing effects that didn't seem natural to me from memory playing in the arcade. That's what prompted this thread.

So, I'm going to get an LED OCD, save a boatload and just get regular 1 SMD bulbs and call it a day.

Phoebe, to you especially, I have seen your work with LEDs and it is AMAZING. I'm almost positive it was your AFM I played at the Ohio Show 2 years ago (my first ever show) and made it a point to find you and tell you WOW. There is personal preference, but I also think there are times when you can make a game pop in such perfect balance that it should have been factory and everyone goes "that's the answer key right there".

#513 2 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

What does the folding SM topper look like? I don't think I have ever seen something like that. Are you referring to the McKee topper?

It's not the McKee topper, its just something that replaces the tournament fold down sign but looks much better. I'll see if I can get a pic.

#514 2 years ago

Hey guys

Brand new to the website and to owning my first machine. Brand new Spider-Man VE. I read the forum and got a lot of great tips but I had some questions I hoped the group could answer.

1. With a machine made just a few weeks ago do I need to update the code or does it have it loaded already?
2. Do I need to worry about ghosting in the VE or should I not since it has all LEDs?
3. Any mods or additions that are a must? Noticing a hole in the board already where the sandman shot spits out and read this is an issue so covering up with more Mylan.
4. Final question and most important one : does anyone else's machine have a really hard time making the left ramp? The flipper seems weak and the metal ramp plating is starting to curve up.

Thanks guys and glad to be a part of this group!!

IMG_4094 (resized).JPG

#515 2 years ago
Quoted from SpidermanDan:

Hey guys
Brand new to the website and to owning my first machine. Brand new Spider-Man VE. I read the forum and got a lot of great tips but I had some questions I hoped the group could answer.
1. With a machine made just a few weeks ago do I need to update the code or does it have it loaded already?
2. Do I need to worry about ghosting in the VE or should I not since it has all LEDs?
3. Any mods or additions that are a must? Noticing a hole in the board already where the sandman shot spits out and read this is an issue so covering up with more Mylan.
4. Final question and most important one : does anyone else's machine have a really hard time making the left ramp? The flipper seems weak and the metal ramp plating is starting to curve up.
Thanks guys and glad to be a part of this group!!

1- you can check the code on the service screen. I do not the no it need updating since SMVE Has no recent release.
2- led or not, ghosting can happen. It depends on the quality of the playfield. Just cross your fingers. Recent Sterns seems to not have the issue anymore....
3- the sandman return on SMVE is a known area for wear. Adding Mylar there is a good idea. I personally am not a fan of cliffy protectors all over the field. Wax and new pinballs each year and you are ok. Other mods? I like mirror blades, a colored led screen is super for SMVE. Cabinet under lighting, lighted flipperbuttons, etc.....you can go all the way.

On the ramp. I do not have that issue. The left ramp is ok to hit with the upperflipper. Metal ramp curving up sound not ok.

#516 2 years ago

Thanks Peter

The color led has been ordered!

One clarity point is the ramp I'm referring to is on the left ramp that uses the bottom right flipper not the flipper that only hits the upper venom shot

#517 2 years ago
Quoted from SpidermanDan:

Thanks Peter
The color led has been ordered!
One clarity point is the ramp I'm referring to is on the left ramp that uses the bottom right flipper not the flipper that only hits the upper venom shot

That left ramp is a tough steep shot, but when I miss that shot or get a reject I never feel like it was a lack of flipper power, just accuracy. I have my pitch steep at 7.3 deg so that makes the shot even tougher. If you game is new, it's probably a pitch/level/accuracy issue more than coil power but I'm just speculating.

Did you get your SMVE NIB or used? What's the build date (sticker on back of cab)? The ramp flap thing may be normal. It looks slightly raised from an angle but should be normal straight on for the shot. This is pretty typical with all versions from what I remember when I owned both the original and now the VE.

I'd keep an eye out on ghosting inserts but not worry too much about it unless it plagues 3 or more inserts with heavy ghosting. Mine is a December build and has a small sliver of ghosting on one insert, not an issue unless it spreads or gets worse in my opinion.

#518 2 years ago
Quoted from PeterG:

2- led or not, ghosting can happen. It depends on the quality of the playfield. Just cross your fingers. Recent Sterns seems to not have the issue anymore....

Huh??? I think the OP was referring to LED ghosting (lamps weakly or solidly illuminated when they should not be), not the improper more recent use of the same term to describe clearcoat lifting issues observed on Stern playfield.

#519 2 years ago

not the improper more recent use of the same term to describe clearcoat lifting issues observed on Stern playfield.

Ghosting of inserts was way before LEDs were put in pinball machines.
Modern Sterns did not have much problem with insert ghosting until about one or two years ago when KISS, GOT, and SMVE came out.

Here is an example of the ghosting term being used for inserts in 2004:

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!searchin/rec.games.pinball/insert$20ghosting%7Csort:relevance/rec.games.pinball/V5DWGAxLDBE/iF3BGxHOyZ0J

#520 2 years ago

Huh??? I think the OP was referring to LED ghosting (lamps weakly or solidly illuminated when they should not be), not the improper more recent use of the same term to describe clearcoat lifting issues observed on Stern playfield.

OK on that, no worries there, modern leds are not ghosting in any way. At least not on my machines (Tron LE, GB LE). Even after market leds are ok now. If you have any problem put a OCD board in there. Seems to work great.

#521 2 years ago

Was playing last night and enjoying my new Color DMD when I noticed that the entire row of bulbs is out on my back panel of the playfield.
Took me a little bit to realize it was a bit dark in the back. Lol
One more thing on my to do list.

#522 2 years ago

My CPU board on Spidey has died, I sent it to get reconditioned but alas no luck there.
So I have to buy a new one, where would be the best place to purchase a new board as I am having major SM withdrawals.

#523 2 years ago
Quoted from Wamprat:

My CPU board on Spidey has died, I sent it to get reconditioned but alas no luck there.
So I have to buy a new one, where would be the best place to purchase a new board as I am having major SM withdrawals.

I don't know if this is the cheapest but here is a starting point:

http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/520-5246-02

I recommend asking your distributor to contact Stern for a price.

#524 2 years ago

does rottendog sell a replacement?

#525 2 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

I don't know if this is the cheapest but here is a starting point:
http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/520-5246-02
I recommend asking your distributor to contact Stern for a price.

Sound advice in getting your distributor to contact Stern. Would definitely be my first choice in this instance.

1 week later
#526 2 years ago

Starting an "Exit to shooter lane" mod on my SMVE and I think I just found the SMVE equivalent of SM's "You Snooze You Loose".

Only took me about 10 months.

It appears the graphic on the plastic is printed upside down; it should be oriented to face the player.

Even Spidey can't balance on top of his web shot.

IMG_0100 (resized).JPG

#527 2 years ago

So who's going to make the exit to shooter lane for original SM and make an extra for me to buy?

#528 2 years ago
Quoted from zene10:

Starting an "Exit to shooter lane" mod on my SMVE and I think I just found the SMVE equivalent of SM's "You Snooze You Loose".
It appears the graphic on the plastic is printed upside down; it should be oriented to face the player.

ǝɯ oʇ ǝuᴉɟ sʞoo˥

#529 2 years ago
Quoted from zene10:

Never noticed this before cause its under the ramp i guess. But mine is the same way.

#530 2 years ago

I figure it's not a mistake, it's an easter egg. Now if I can only find the cow ...

#531 2 years ago
Quoted from yuriijos:

So who's going to make the exit to shooter lane for original SM and make an extra for me to buy?

I will be making one for mine. I'll post pics and a thread when I do it. I've had the parts for a while. Just haven't had the ambition or the time.

#532 2 years ago
Quoted from yuriijos:

Why make an exit to the shooter lane? Was this supposed to be the original design or something?

#533 2 years ago
Quoted from NightTrain:

I will be making one for mine. I'll post pics and a thread when I do it. I've had the parts for a while. Just haven't had the ambition or the time.

What is it exactly ?

#534 2 years ago

I'm looking at several SM. How common is planking on side of cab? Seen it on a few huo. How common is this and would thus be a deal breaker for some?

#535 2 years ago

It's a safe way for the ball to go back to the shooter lane for hitting a good shot at the spider sense shot. Without the lane exit and hitting that shot, the ball goes to the right outlane area and may go down the outlane instead of the inlane. Plus if it goes to the shooter lane you plunge to be pops and get a good shot at Venom as well.

#536 2 years ago
Quoted from yuriijos:

It's a safe way for the ball to go back to the shooter lane for hitting a good shot at the spider sense shot. Without the lane exit and hitting that shot, the ball goes to the right outlane area and may go down the outlane instead of the inlane. Plus if it goes to the shooter lane you plunge to be pops and get a good shot at Venom as well.

Ok I get that but wouldn't making this exit change how the game was originally designed?

#537 2 years ago

I think it was originally designed this way but don't know why it didn't go into production like that?

#538 2 years ago

Ahh. Is that what that seemingly do nothing adjustment is ? Can't remember what it's exact wording is but it is something to do with the Spidey Sense.

#539 2 years ago
Quoted from Radius118:

Ok I get that but wouldn't making this exit change how the game was originally designed?

This is what you're looking for. I might do this as there's a parts list.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/spider-man-behind-flipper-shooter-lane-mod
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/spider-man-spider-sense-lane-exit-to-shooter-lane

spidersense (resized).jpg

spidersense2 (resized).jpg

#540 2 years ago

I believe it was originally designed to exit to the shooter lane, like Star Trek. Not sure why they scrapped it. Maybe cost. I do have a parts list and the parts. Might tackle it this weekend. I'll post and let you all know when I do. I'll try to take pics along the way. Should be pretty simple.

#541 2 years ago

I've got an extra ball guide (part # 515-7643-00) for SM still in the plastic. Bought after being told was the same part for SMVE.
Turned out not to be the case. SM and SMVE do not share all the same hardware.

If you're doing the mod for SMVE you need: SMVE ball guide Part# 535-9964-00

The part (515-7643-00) is $28 + Shipping (minimum $6.99) at Marcos.

$28 shipped to you. PM me if you are interested.

IMG_0119 (resized).JPG
IMG_0118 (resized).JPG

#542 2 years ago
Quoted from zene10:

I've got an extra ball guide (part # 515-7643-00) still in the plastic. Bought 2 in case I messed up one.
The part is $28 + Shipping (minimum $6.99) at Marcos.
$28 shipped to you. PM me if you are interested.

aaah...a clever bunch here. I wondered what that adjustment was, too. The game already flows well, but that's one area that always felt slightly "off" so I'm curious to hear feedback from those that make the before taking the plunge.

#544 2 years ago
Quoted from Arcade:

Was playing last night and enjoying my new Color DMD when I noticed that the entire row of bulbs is out on my back panel of the playfield.
Took me a little bit to realize it was a bit dark in the back. Lol
One more thing on my to do list.

Forgot I posted this.
Just so others know, for once it was just a fuse. Lol
I first checked the molex plug and made sure solder on bulb bases was good.
But sure enough they have a fuse in the back box that controls nothing but this one little string of GI bulbs on the backboard.

#545 2 years ago

just got a spidey and ordered the parts to do the lane to shooter mod. Bummed that I couldn't use my rev1.3 colorDMD, needs to be 1.3b

#546 2 years ago
Quoted from epotech:

just got a spidey and ordered the parts to do the lane to shooter mod. Bummed that I couldn't use my rev1.3 colorDMD, needs to be 1.3b

If you're competent with a soldering iron you can change the memory chip out pretty cheap - assuming you can get the chip shipped to you cheaply where you live. I think I posted the details on it in the Spidey ColorDMD thread but if you have any questions on it let me know.

#547 2 years ago

Anyone selling an excellent or home use Spiderman in Michigan Ohio Indiana or even Chicago looking to get one for my wife our anniversary next month saw pinball refinery had one but little too pricey for me.

was going to get a Batman Dark Knight but head SM much more fun

#548 2 years ago
Quoted from 3pinballs:

Anyone selling an excellent or home use Spiderman in Michigan Ohio Indiana or even Chicago looking to get one for my wife our anniversary next month saw pinball refinery had one but little too pricey for me.
was going to get a Batman Dark Knight but head SM much more fun

I have both, get Spiderman. BTDK is a good game but Spiderman is one of Stern's best ever.

#549 2 years ago

You've gotta be kidding me. Never made it to super hero before. Had it qualified with 2 balls to go. Then I Drain and Drain. Nooooooo!!!!!! How is that possible. Crush the game for 30 minutes on the first two balls! Then just fall on my face!

IMG_8853 (resized).JPG
IMG_8854 (resized).JPG

#550 2 years ago
Quoted from NightTrain:

You've gotta be kidding me. Never made it to super hero before. Had it qualified with 2 balls to go. Then I Drain and Drain. Nooooooo!!!!!! How is that possible. Crush the game for 30 minutes on the first two balls! Then just fall on my face!

Because the ball is not wild.. The ball is actually quite evil.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
5,350 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
New Athens, IL
Sale Pending!
Smithville, MO
€ 95.00
Lighting - Led
FlipperLED
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 48.00
Cabinet - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Bright Lights Pinball
$ 14.95
$ 50.00
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 48.00
Cabinet - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods
Lighting - Backbox
Rock Custom Pinball
Machine - For Sale
Madison, WI
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
6,800 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Fruitland Park, FL
$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 1273 posts in this topic. You are on page 11 of 26.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside