(Topic ID: 83528)

Club Mars Trek (the BEST Trek pin of all!)

By StevenP

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 38 posts
  • 15 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by alveolus
  • Topic is favorited by 6 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

3F8CD998-3AB3-438D-A34E-E4646FB61465 (resized).jpeg
60A14B6C-4D79-407B-9888-71F5962AE666.jpeg
411690FB-32DA-43BE-B23B-2852277E935B.jpeg
7FC97A30-D592-4660-949C-C012D27470C0.jpeg
B03F7874-E2BD-4650-8333-09C2521C6797 (resized).jpeg
E6363A51-3AA2-461F-AAB7-B6F5EDD2EF98 (resized).jpeg
DSC09705 (resized).JPG
DSC07485 (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider emspence.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#8 4 years ago

Hey there, new to the Mars Trek club (and pretty new to pinball too), quite a fun and addicting title! I have worked on a few EM machines, this being my most modern, so it feels like it has a lot of fun stuff going on. Neat to see how far things got at the end of the EM era.

Bought one a few weeks ago, most things seem to work as they should now. I just made a general post asking advice on cabinet repair, but figured I would join the old club too:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sonic-mars-trek-cabinet-repair-stabilizing#post-5148139

1 year later
#15 3 years ago
Quoted from JustEverett:

Just brought home a Mars Trek, and I'm wanting to upgrade to the retro LEDs that comet has. I'm wondering if anyone has used the kit they offer to upgrade to LEDs. I really want to maintain the warm look of the original incandescent bulbs, but get a little more light from the LEDs.
Also does anyone have a rubber count?

I didn't use the kit, mine is still mostly incandescent but did use some of their bulbs. I don't think they had the retro ones then, so what I got is kinda bright compared to the original-which actually helps in some places on the backglass (like the dark game over and ball 5 etc). I used some of their color changing and "fire" bulbs for cool effects, as posted by a Tom Malloy on Facebook's EM pinball page (you can search there and find it, although video link now seems dead). Basically slow color change bulb goes behind the woman's face in the backglass, and "fire" bulbs go behind where the rocket engines are...I added another on the playfield behind the upper left plastic with a comet on it.

I just replaced the rubber kit on it with one from Titan Pinball. Used their kit, but changed the flipper rubbers to yellow. Would note their kit is short one of the little post rubbers (presumably missed the one in the ball drain).

#16 3 years ago
Quoted from fireball2:

LOVE this game. I'm still trying to get mine to start. It's in beeyoutee shape, but the last guy, whenever it was having trouble starting a game, would open the coin door and squirt wd40 in there. Claimed it would start right up then. Until it didn't, and he let it sit for 15 years.
I THINK I'm close. I know it has a frozen bonus unit, but even with that reset by hand, I still have issues with startup.
Such a groovy game.

Wow...what a technique... Good luck with your repairs! My bonus unit was missing a coil. When starting a ball/game the bonus does start at 1,000, not zero. So, as it resets, it counts all the way down, but then does count up one before it is done...just in case that helps you.

#17 3 years ago
Quoted from Isochronic_Frost:

Wow, just spraying wildly with WD40?! How the hell did it not light up like a candle??
Someone should make stencils for this title. My cabinet is absolutely shot and every time it’s moved it big hunks come off. Gonna build a new one but I love the side art on this.

Building a new cabinet/finding a donor is probably the way to go, but I have been keeping mine limping along. Took it to an Expo last year, but don't want to move it around thanks to the easily damaged/heavy cabinet. I added some aluminum from Home Depot that helped the aesthetics, along the bottom sides at least. It was a 8ft piece I think, cutting it exactly in half gave me what was needed for each side. Had to buy the large size they had because so much was gone on mine, I think it was like $35, but came out nice. Lots of wood glue & varathane wood hardener used too.

Stencils would be nice, but read somewhere their graphics weren't originally stenciled on, so it doesn't lend itself to that format well.

DSC07485 (resized).JPGDSC07485 (resized).JPGDSC09705 (resized).JPGDSC09705 (resized).JPG
1 week later
#23 3 years ago
Quoted from JustEverett:

Anyone know of a lock that fits the coindoor on Mars Trek?

The standard $4 lock from Pinball Resource works fine. I put one on the coin door & on the replacement I made for the backbox door. I think the original latch was still there for me to use with the new lock with the coin door, not sure if the provided latch will work...may need to fiddle around with that, but it will fit in the door just fine.

#26 3 years ago

That same lock will work in Wild Wild West, lock has that shape to keep it from spinning in the hole, we have two mutual games! I have bought a bunch of those locks and have yet to find a game I haven't been able to make them work with, and nice to have a key that works for everything.

I have not sourced a back door before, have just made them with stuff I have around. I have some maybe 1/4" masonite like material, which has a white glossy finish on one side that I have been using to make doors from. Sure, it wouldn't be secure in an arcade, but it keeps the dust out, and tones down the bells as intended on older games. Cut to shape, drill a hole for the lock & good to go. My Super Score was missing the track that the back door sets in, was able to improvise with some c-channel that was intended for an adjustable shelving system.

1 year later
#34 1 year ago
Quoted from hisokajp:

Does anyone has a copy or a source for the Mars trek instruction cards?

http://www.pinballrebel.com/pinball/cards/

If you had not found what you wanted already, copies are available for download from this website. Just select "Sonic" on the left, and then click "Mars Trek" and a couple things should be downloaded. The PDF version shows up better on my computer.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider emspence.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/club-mars-trek-the-best-trek-pin-of-all?tu=emspence and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.