(Topic ID: 99875)

Club LED OCD, tips, tricks, thoughts, and advice. (www.ledocd.com products)

By Matt_Rasmussen

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 754 posts
  • 152 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 78 days ago by killborn
  • Topic is favorited by 141 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_20240129_174050 (resized).jpg
IMG_20240129_174034 (resized).jpg
IMG_20240129_174044 (resized).jpg
SmartSelectImage_2023-11-05-19-46-59 (resized).png
SmartSelectImage_2023-11-05-19-47-41 (resized).png
BK LED OCD (resized).jpg
FAA79F1E-1D1C-4414-9102-509A0D969B8F (resized).jpeg
pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_1996 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0324 (resized).JPG
20190224_191501 (resized).jpg
20190224_190626 (resized).jpg
20190224_190657 (resized).jpg
7D9CB8A6-BBE7-4797-A174-6D59424CDDC1 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pezpunk.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#14 9 years ago

STTNG and Funhouse both with both boards. I agree that as more people see these things in action, demand will rise.

#30 9 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

OK, sounds like I should bite the bullet and buy one to try it out???
Unfortunately most of my games already have premium LEDs and I have seen others say it does not work as well with premiums as it does the cheapos?

That's true, but I think you can tweak the settings and get them looking good. The software gives you a lot of flexibility to control how it lights each lamp.

1 week later
#43 9 years ago
Quoted from fitzpatricksrus:

I have an LED OCD in my LOTR and it makes a huge difference. I a different ramp profile for each brand/type of LED I have in the machine. I had cointaker premium non-ghosting supers in it when I put the OCD in it and have been slowing swapping those out with regular (ghosting) premium supers because I found that they light cleanly at around 18% power whereas the non-ghosting LEDs flicker badly below 40% power. That little bit of extra range makes the lighting effects much smoother. Has anyone found a good quality LED that has a larger range and behaves better at the low end?

Yep I was just going through the same process tonight. I used the LED OCD software to light every lamp at 20%, and everything but the "premium" bulbs lit up. Made it easy to identify and replace 'em. Now my fades are a lot smoother.

By the way, I never understood what the "activity" setting on the GI OCD software was for, so I didn't use it, but after reading Herg's explanation, tonight I played around with it and figured out a config I really like:

First of all, I will admit that I overdrive the GI on the playfield by running it at 85. I just love how shiny everything looks with that level of illumination. Some of the LEDs get kind of hot, but I don't think I'm hurting anything -- I accidentally left it on overnight once and nothing melted, singed, or burned out.

Anyway, the "Activity" setting at least lets me minimize the amount of time I'm overdriving these bulbs. I set the activity timeout to about 2.5 minutes, and I set the playfield GI strings and the shields GI string to go dim when there's no activity. I think I put it to about 15 or 20. For the two GI strings behind the translite, I did the opposite -- they go bright (but not overdriven like the playfield) when there's no activity, and then they're configured to dim once a game starts, which along with my invisiglass totally eliminates any glare.

It's a cool effect -- when you press the start button to start a game, GI OCD (noticing the trough kicker has fired) dims the back glass and cranks up the playfield GI. Looks just awesome.

#49 9 years ago
Quoted from SealClubber:

LOTR: Stock settings except for the Palintir orb. I have the Eye of Sauron TV Ball mod which now blinks. Is there a way to stop the blinking? I set all B values to 100 but it still blinks.

have you tried increasing the delay value?

1 month later
#85 9 years ago

i think this product made me more "OCD".

yes, the default settings are, by themselves, a huge improvement and definitely pretty great. but, for example, after a while, because i have a hodgepodge of different LED brands and types, i began to be bothered by the difference between my premium and standard LEDs, mostly because the premiums didn't have as much fade to them. it's really only noticeable if you ARENT playing, and only looking at the lights, so it's kind of absurd to sweat it, but i went back in and swapped out all my premiums for standards anyway. now they all fade the same.

#94 9 years ago

sounds like you might have accidentally set those inserts to a very low illumination level in the software. i would try reseting to defaults or taking a hard look at the settings for those 2 sockets.

1 month later
#112 9 years ago

Funhouse is a great choice for LED OCD. the harsh flashing of inserts was killing me before i put it in mine!

GI OCD is really good for it too, since it dims every time you put rudy to sleep.

1 week later
#116 9 years ago

doesn't affect flashers. but then, flashers are SUPPOSED to, you know, flash. incandescents are a good option there if LEDs are simply too harsh. i'm sort of on the fence about LED flashers. it really depends on the game and the spot. on Funhouse i might lean towards incandescents, especially if the room you play in is usually dim.

2 weeks later
#132 9 years ago
Quoted from Matt_Rasmussen:

Yes, I've done that, and have it setup there to fade pretty well. Certainly level 7 and 8 are identical in the menu tests. But when the game starts it drops to a different value. I'll just have to spend the time and map out all the actual values used during game play by your technique posted in the usage. Just thought maybe someone already did it.

yeah, i spent time on my shield settings, trying to get a noticeable gradient between each level, since their brightness indicates your shield level percentage during Borg Multiball. i ended up pumping the shield brightness, since it's a pretty cool feature that i feel goes unnoticed by most players! Here are the values i'm using for the shields (GI string #1):

1-3-6-13-25-55-79-99

of course, your mileage may vary depending on the brand and type of bulb. I believe I'm currently using CometPinball's Ice Blue flex-head, positioned as far away from the insert as i could get them, so that the light diffuses evenly across the whole banana-shaped insert.

Here's a video. Believe me, though, the game is not quite as bright and certainly not as BLUE as it appears in the video. wish i knew enough about video to get it to film the way it looks to the naked eye. oh well, just trust me it is not as overpowering in person. enjoy.

by the way i guess this is a question for Herg: the GI OCD interface lists 8 slots for values (B1 through B8), but the game only seems to use seven of them (B7 and B8 seem to be the same brightness in-game, no matter what value is used in GI OCD). Does WPC ignore B7 and just use B8 for both? or vice versa?

1 week later
#157 9 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

OK I just ordered from Comet for my Nascar, what can I expect as far as hook up and settings. I've never done anything this complicated to a game before. A real greenhorn.

the default settings will probably be all you need. you'll notice instant improvement. installation isn't bad and the instructions are great.

1 month later
#170 9 years ago

dont incandescents take a while to "warm up" and blink properly? just going by how my Black Hole operates...

1 month later
#197 9 years ago
Quoted from Mando:

Anyone know if Comet Op-Max work well with GI OCD?

Pretty sure they work fine. I know i own a bunch of them as well as the Quasars, but i will have to check if any are currently in the GI of my STTNG or Funhouse.

1 month later
#205 8 years ago
Quoted from sturner:

Isn't it only an issue if you set it below 40%? What do most people have theirs set at?

Well, the circuitry that prevents them from ghosting also prevents them from fading on/off quite as smoothly, and prevents them from dimming properly. Basically anything below roughly 40% illumination (varies by manufacturer) it will just shut off, with virtually no room for dimming between the on and off states. It's not a huge deal really, moreso for GI OCD I feel, but if you're already shelling out the cash for LED OCD, I feel like you might as well spend the extra $50 on new bulbs to get it perfect. Just my opinion of course.

9 months later
#252 8 years ago
Quoted from Lermods:

Or is it that my non ghosters just won't be as effective?

Yeah, one issue is that the non-ghosting circuitry prevents the bulbs from dimming smoothly. At a certain threshold it just shuts off (or flickers inconsistently) instead of dimming. That's why standard LEDs work a little better than non-ghosting bulbs with the LED OCD.

1 week later
#256 8 years ago
Quoted from acaciolo:

I have a GI Led OCD in my scared stiff and I've blown the 10amp slo blow fuse on the board twice. The machine is all comet LED's and I have the output set to 60%. Everything works great except for the fuse blowing. It hasn't happened when playing the machine. I turn it on and notice there are no GI lights lit, even though they were lit when I turned it off. Any ideas?
thanks.
tony

Do you have incandescents in the coin door or backbox or anywhere else?

1 month later
#278 7 years ago
Quoted from Fifty:

herg, I recently noticed the FLIGHT INSURANCE insert on my F-14 ghosting on me. I'm using Comet 1 SMD LEDs. I can see it flickering while playing. It is very faint but definitely there. I don't recall it doing this before.
Every other LED seems to be functioning properly. This one seems to be the misfit. I don't know if it's been this way since the install or not. I only noticed it recently. What's the best way to troubleshoot this?

That insert isn't a flasher, is it? If it is, there's nothing you can do. LED OCD doesn't affect flashers. Best bet is to switch to incandescent flashers.

If it's not a flasher, then load up the software and create some custom settings for that insert -- make the lower end of the ramp up a little lower, and/or or increase the length of the duration of the fade.

3 months later
#335 7 years ago
Quoted from monkeyboypaul:

Is there such a thing as LED FLASHER OCD ??
If not, there should be.

i am a huge fan of LEDs, but i keep my flashers incandescent. LED flashers are just way too harsh, unless they are hidden from direct view.

2 weeks later
#350 7 years ago
Quoted from thewool:

Quick question for the LED OCD brains... I was going to order a T2 LED kit from Cointaker. The kit contains Premium Super Non-Ghosting LEDs, will they be compatible with an LED OCD?
Cheers!

compatible, yes. they'll work fine.

bulbs without non-ghosting circuitry look slightly better, though. with non-ghosting bulbs, you will lose a bit of the "fade" and the ability to control the bulb's brightness below a certain threshold.

2 months later
#377 7 years ago
Quoted from herg:

No, I don't think anyone would leave these hooked up and change settings after dialing them in.
The use I could see would be for someone who doesn't have a Windows machine or no machine that can be taken to the pins easily. You do still have to have a USB connection between the OCD and the host, but the host can be something simple, like a Rasp Pi. I've been playing around with it, and it is nice to not have to lug the laptop down to the pins.
The main issue I see, however, is that it's still a bit difficult to get running. People who are willing to put in the time would likely be able to figure out a way to run the Windows software.

hmmm the next step of course is to power the Raspberry Pi via the pin, so it turns on when the game does. if that's not hard to do, then I suddenly find myself wanting this (getting a web server running is no problem for me)

#379 7 years ago
Quoted from herg:

Powering it on with the machine would not be hard, but it's a relatively large load to put on the pin's supply. Putting an additional supply on the AC after the switch would be the right way.
IMO, there wouldn't be much utility in it, though. When was the last time you tweaked one of yours?

eh i'm wierd, i tweak them fairly often. i would not argue i'm very useful as general market research though!

1 year later
#519 6 years ago

you won't blow a fuse with just two incandescents, but it's really not hard to replace those either. check the coin door, too.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Ontario, CA
Machine - For Sale
London, ON
$ 5.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 15.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 18.95
Machine - For Sale
Anderson, SC
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 39.50
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 45.95
$ 65.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

$ 225.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 79.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 54.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RamMods

Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Pinball Machine
Paradise Distribution

$ 10.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pezpunk.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/club-led-ocd-tips-tricks-thoughts-and-advice?tu=pezpunk and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.