(Topic ID: 99875)

Club LED OCD, tips, tricks, thoughts, and advice. (www.ledocd.com products)

By Matt_Rasmussen

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 754 posts
  • 152 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 82 days ago by killborn
  • Topic is favorited by 141 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_20240129_174050 (resized).jpg
IMG_20240129_174034 (resized).jpg
IMG_20240129_174044 (resized).jpg
SmartSelectImage_2023-11-05-19-46-59 (resized).png
SmartSelectImage_2023-11-05-19-47-41 (resized).png
BK LED OCD (resized).jpg
FAA79F1E-1D1C-4414-9102-509A0D969B8F (resized).jpeg
pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_1996 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0324 (resized).JPG
20190224_191501 (resized).jpg
20190224_190626 (resized).jpg
20190224_190657 (resized).jpg
7D9CB8A6-BBE7-4797-A174-6D59424CDDC1 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mustangpaul.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#2 9 years ago

I've been thinking of getting one for my Avatar LE but haven't pulled the trigger yet. I hate being on a wait list, if a big ticket item like this isn't in stock I don't buy. Good idea for a club Matt.

#16 9 years ago

Question, I have Avatar LE so right out of the box will the OCD board mimic the stock fade pattern of the inserts for my game or will I have to mess with it.

1 week later
#56 9 years ago
Quoted from SealClubber:

JM was horrible with the strobing though.

That's crazy, my JM doesn't strobe one bit. I have regular Pinballbulbs in it. I wonder if there is something wrong with your game.

#59 9 years ago
Quoted from SealClubber:

Just the GI and it is now fixed with the GIOCD. the inserts are fine even with regular bulbs.

Nor my GI.

#61 9 years ago

In the attract mode my GI doesn't strobe they blink. I know the difference between a strobe and a blink. My Avatar inserts strobe pretty bad though but the GI is rack solid.

2 weeks later
#75 9 years ago
Quoted from BrewersArcade:

I just uploaded a video on upgrading my Space Shuttle to LEDs. I bought mine from Comet Pinball and I go into detail about what bulbs look good and where for anyone interested. It came out looking awesome!
» YouTube video

I appreciate your effort but I could only watch about a minute, between the shaky camera and whipping the camera around I started to get dizzy and couldn't watch any more. In the future plan you scenes, use a tripod and edit, edit and edit some more. Again an A for effort.

2 weeks later
#80 9 years ago
Quoted from sed6:

I just installed one in my TSPP. Love it! Here's a short video. Sorry it's not in HD.
» YouTube video

That makes a HUGE diff. Like the designers had intended it to look.

#102 9 years ago
Quoted from sed6:

You might consider replacing the connectors and header pins. It'll help with any current problems and prevent other future problems.

I really should learn how to do that.

1 week later
#107 9 years ago
Quoted from algum123:

I can confirm that the sys 9/11 led ocd board works fine with a sys 6 in a Flash. I did have to make custom cables, which took a bit of time to map the pins between the sys 11 and sys 6 headers, but otherwise everything works great. Since driver boards from sys 3-7 are pretty much identical, I can't see why this wouldn't work for any games in that range. I did try the software to switch to manual control, make brightness changes and enable/disable passthru, all of which worked as expected.
The improvement is perhaps not as dramatic as in newer games with light shows and more active blinking, when without the led ocd the rapid turn on and off of the led's is distracting. However I had already brightness matched and used non-ghosting led's as well so there was not much tuning needed, but if you just tossed a set of cheap led's in and then adjust the settings it would probably make a bigger difference. One big positive was the annoying strobing due to the lamp matrix scanning was totally gone.
Now I just have to wait for more boards to be available since I took the led ocd board out of my Whirlwind and really want one back in that machine as well.

LED OCD System 6.JPG 160 KB

Dang your good.

2 months later
#134 9 years ago
Quoted from pezpunk:

wish i knew enough about video to get it to film the way it looks to the naked eye.

There's nothing you can do about it, it's just the nature of the beast. If your camera had a 3/4in ccd or a CMOS chip it might make a dif. I don't know.

#138 9 years ago
Quoted from Matt_Rasmussen:

There's probably a way to edit them somehow, to mimic the limitations of our eyes/brains.

Not really, it's all about the type of sensor used for pick-up that's why I suggested those 2.

#142 9 years ago

How about a CMOS sensor? Anyone got one of those in a camera? They handle the light differently. I have an old analog tube type video camera with a 1/2in. NUVICON pick up tube, I wonder what that looks like.

#144 9 years ago

My Sony NEX camera is a CMOS sensor, most camera today are CMOS.

Oh OK. Well that answers that question. Now I wonder about the tube camera. But then there's the problem of the recording medium.

#148 9 years ago

Herg, got any LED OCD's in stock? My NASCAR really needs one.

#150 9 years ago
Quoted from herg:

Sorry, but no. There was a bit of a "run" on them last week and more were purchased in one week than in the previous three months.
I estimate February for the next batch to be ready. They'll be on the website when they're in stock.

Thanks.

#152 9 years ago
Quoted from herg:

Hey, I just happened to think that Comet Pinball might have a few in stock.
http://www.cometpinball.com/Stern-LED-OCD-Board-p/ledocdstern.htm

Thanks I'll check.

1 week later
#155 9 years ago

OK I just ordered from Comet for my NASCAR, what can I expect as far as hook up and settings. I've never done anything this complicated to a game before. A real greenhorn.

#158 9 years ago

Thanks for the encouragement guys, I'll need it cuz I've never messed around in the bb before except for fuses and batteries. Default is pretty good you say. NASCAR has such great fades and sweeps, I hope I don't have to mess with it.

#160 9 years ago

Thanks herg, I'm sure I can handle it. Art just emailed me, he's out too so I'll just have to put the bulbs in and wait for the OCD. Oh well that's life.

#162 9 years ago

Hopefully not non-ghosting LEDs.

Yup. NASCAR has a TON of inserts.

1 month later
#168 9 years ago

Got my boards in Avatar LE and NASCAR. Avatar works perfect right out of the box but it has Comet Ghostbusters in it. NASCAR has the regular leds in it and it needs to be adjusted. Why is this, just a difference in the games?

#175 9 years ago
Quoted from herg:

Got my boards in Avatar LE and Nascar. Avatar works perfect right out of the box but it has Comet Ghostbusters in it. Nascar has the regular leds in it and it needs to be adjusted. Why is this, just a difference in the games?

There are a lot of variables. LEDs, the game's power, ambient lighting, etc. My brother and I have both owned HS2 in the past. I bought him identical LEDs for his, but I ended up using different settings on his. That's why configuration is important.

Is see.

2 months later
#202 8 years ago

I have Comets no ghost in my Avatar LE and it ghosted then I put the OCD in. The lights look perfect now even with the OCD set at default. I know it's a pain but try your bulbs with the OCD, you might like it. Report back if you try this.

5 months later
#227 8 years ago
Quoted from Patofnaud:

Here is a different way to view LED OCD...
One of these machines has LED OCD and GI OCD installed, the other 2 do not...
» YouTube video

That's easy, ST has them.

1 month later
#232 8 years ago
Quoted from Geocab:

Is there an LED OCD board available for the pinball 2000 platform?

I would go for one of those Herg for my RFM, it needs it bad.

#237 8 years ago
Quoted from Geocab:

I know it's a small platform, but if you do get to this one day, Herg, my buddy would easily buy one.

Well that makes 3 of us.

#238 8 years ago
Quoted from Geocab:

Cool deal.
In the meantime, will someone loan this guy an RFM please?

If I were a lot closer I would for sure.

#239 8 years ago
Quoted from dgposter:

I'm about to order the Pinballbulbs led kit for my AFM. Do you guys think I would need the LED OCD for that kit? How about the GI OCD?

Yup you'll need it no matter what led you buy kit or not. I don't think a GI OCD is needed.

#241 8 years ago
Quoted from herg:

Well, call me the worst salesman ever, but "need" is a strong word. The PBL kit will work, but depending on how particular you are about how it looks, you may "want" an LED OCD to go with the kit. It will look better with LED OCD, but I don't want anyone buying on false pretenses like thinking the PBL kit won't work without it.

Well you got us there Herg but for us perfectionists we NEED it.

4 months later
#269 8 years ago
Quoted from DrJoe:

Are all of you guys modifying the settings for GI or is anyone using the board with the default settings? I just popped the GI board in ToTAN and it looks pretty darn good with default settings.

I left it in default for Avatar LE, T3 and NASCAR and they are perfect.

2 months later
#300 7 years ago
Quoted from Lethal_Inc:

Herg, I will purchase one of these real soon for my Avatar pro. I am under the impression that the LED OCD will control ghosting of the lamps so I just purchased standard 2 SMD lamps for my inserts. I will install them either today or tomorrow but just curious if the default setting for these boards are sufficient or is the actual board loaded with custom settings for each game, in this case Avatar. Thanks.

Buy with confidence, I have it on my LE with the stock setting and my inserts are perfect, I'm using the same bulbs as you too.

3 weeks later
#310 7 years ago

I installed the board on my BOP and out of the box setting doesn't work very well. Some inserts stay lit all the time and some inserts flicker fading in and out while some work perfect. I've tried different brand and styles of bulbs, good ones and cheep ones, no difference. I wonder if I have a wiring problem.

#312 7 years ago

Thanks Herg. No 2.0, stock driver board.

#315 7 years ago
Quoted from Geocab:

Works great in my BOP. Not bragging, just saying I'm a confirmed instance of the LED OCD board working in a BOP if that helps.

I know your not, that's good to know yours is working. Thanks.

#316 7 years ago

I'll need some time to look into it herg. Thanks.

1 month later
#340 7 years ago
Quoted from pezpunk:

i am a huge fan of LEDs, but i keep my flashers incandescent. LED flashers are just way too harsh, unless they are hidden from direct view.

Have you tried putting the flat top flashers in? I think they work better then the tower type, they project all the light upward and light the domes really nice.

#347 7 years ago
Quoted from jyeakley:

I have always bought direct. Shipping is super fast and I do believe it is important to give the creator of a great mod the biggest cut - only fair.
This is an amazing addition to any machine - people are blown away when they see the result in person.
Thanks Herg!

Yup, I bought mine direct also.

2 weeks later
#354 7 years ago

I have Comet 2 smd white with clear dome in most of my games, the inserts sparkle because of the facets in the inserts.

2 weeks later
#357 7 years ago

Got my OCD working on my BOP. 3, #44 sockets under the inserts didn't have diodes on them probably a hack before I got the game. Once on the OCD board works GREAT. My thinking is that the 3 missing diodes was messing with the lamp matrix and the OCD board couldn't compensate for that.

GREAT product herg.

IMGA0797[1] (resized).JPGIMGA0797[1] (resized).JPG

IMGA0796[1] (resized).JPGIMGA0796[1] (resized).JPG

IMGA0795[1] (resized).JPGIMGA0795[1] (resized).JPG

#360 7 years ago
Quoted from herg:

Yeah, those diodes have to be in the circuit. I'm glad you found the problem.

My pintech is good. I wonder if that had anything to do with blowing that transistor? Maybe it was just weak?

#362 7 years ago
Quoted from herg:

I would say it's unlikely the missing diodes caused the transistor to fail. Usually, that just results in lamps lighting incorrectly.

Thanks herg.

2 months later
#388 7 years ago
Quoted from jorge5240:

They are flickering really bad. With bulbs they just would be on very dim and then get brighter as you progressed. These still strobe pretty bad even with the OCD LED. Obviously I had you program it for me so I haven't messed with it. I was going to try other LEDs or should I adjust in software? If adjusting in software what is the best way to adjust since the lamps are not always at full power? Thanks, Mike

I had the same problem with the OCD in my BOP, a pintech came over and he found 2 lamps under the pf that didn't have a diode on them, put the diodes on and all the lamps worked great. I wonder if that's your problem.

4 weeks later
#411 7 years ago

Herg will the OCD board work with the wood bb version of Met?

3 weeks later
#432 7 years ago
Quoted from Fifty:

Finally installed an LEDOCD into my WH2O. I can't get the software to run on my Windows 10 laptop. It fails to load the FTDI drivers. I Google'd around how to install them but it's a bit over my head.
Has anyone used the LEDOCD software on a Windows10 machine?

Sorry to hear that, I don't have 10.

7 months later
#493 6 years ago
Quoted from AUKraut:

I wanted to give a public "Thanks!!" to Herg/Harold for his excellent customer service and excellent product!! I had my LED OCD board develop a problem on one the columns of the lamp matrix on my LOTR. Problem went away with removal of the board, so he immediately told me to return it for a swap. 5 days there and back and I have a new board!! Installed it and......ahhhh....no more strobing ghostfest!!!!! As a EE by trade I can appreciate the engineering and quality he has put into this product, and it will be a must by for ANY pin that goes thru my house......Thanks Harold!!!

That's why I've got them on a lot of my games. GREAT product.

3 months later
#513 6 years ago

I just installed the OCD in my Jack Bot and oh man what a difference. I'm leaving it in the default settings, it's perfect.

#515 6 years ago

and I just installed the GI OCD in Jack Bot.....WOW!!!! Perfect, to my eyes anyway on default setting.

1 month later
#525 6 years ago
Quoted from Durzel:

I'm about to install an LED OCD in my TZ, but I've noticed that my Start Button and Extra Ball button look like they're using incandescent bulbs. Everything else in the game with the exception of the clock and a flasher underneath the mini-playfield are LEDs.
Am I likely to blow a fuse with these 2 bulbs in situ, or would I be better off replacing those two bulbs first? They look like a huge pain to remove so I'm hesitant.

I've found that leds won't fit in those. Maybe I'm doing something wrong.

#527 6 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

I always shave down the outer ring of the bulb with a dremel to get it through the hole. Works great and I love seeing the buttons light up brighter (plus they don’t get hot!)

I'll try that. Did you leave the bulb cover on?

2 weeks later
#531 6 years ago
Quoted from DavidPinballWizz:

Installed Led OCD on my Avatar LE and wow what a great product. Ghosting is gone and light animations are so much softer.
I use Sterns default Led (bought at Cointaker)
I do have one thing with fast strobing lights (at a high rate). Like the red arrows in Navi hurry up mode.
It is done this way by default by the game's software.
Now it looks like the leds are always on now when the game does that with only slight dimming.
It is a little bit better by setting the delay to 1 instead of 3 but how should I handle this best so they shut off and light up little faster? I do want the brightness to remain at max (I like it bright)

Congrats, I've had it on my LE for a couple years and love it. Sorry but I don't know how to fix your problem, mines on stock setting.

#537 6 years ago
Quoted from DavidPinballWizz:

Got the result I wanted. Thank you Herg!
First video with the NAVI hurry up strobing
» YouTube video
Second video in attract mode to show effects still are good. My goal was to get the look the new Stern games look with leds.
» YouTube video

Your game looks perfect now.

11 months later
#573 5 years ago
Quoted from Durzel:

Just started trying to install my LED OCD and GI OCD in my TAF. It was bought back in January 2018 (was originally meant to go in my TZ but discovered GI dimming doesn't work on it), but the GI OCD I've got has installation instructions that talk about WPC95 instead of WPC89.
The LED OCD instructions correctly say WPC89.
I've double checked my order (ordered direct from herg, had it brought back to the UK by a friend) and it definitely says WPC89 for both.
Is the GI OCD different between WPC89 and WPC95? There are two sets of instructions on the website which suggests to me that there must be some differences?
[quoted image]
Help gratefully received...

Send Herg a pm or email, he's super helpful with his products.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 25.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 16.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 8.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Machine - For Sale
Fairfax, VA
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

$ 165.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Rocket City Pinball

$ 44.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 18.95
$ 39.50
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Haus

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

7,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Cincinnati, OH
$ 250.00
Playfield - Other
Avid Creations Wireforms

€ 25.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Pin-Decals

$ 9.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

8,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Gainesville, GA
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 65.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Decals
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RamMods

$ 45.95

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mustangpaul.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/club-led-ocd-tips-tricks-thoughts-and-advice?tu=mustangpaul and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.