(Topic ID: 99875)

Club LED OCD, tips, tricks, thoughts, and advice. (www.ledocd.com products)

By Matt_Rasmussen

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 754 posts
  • 152 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 82 days ago by killborn
  • Topic is favorited by 141 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_20240129_174050 (resized).jpg
IMG_20240129_174034 (resized).jpg
IMG_20240129_174044 (resized).jpg
SmartSelectImage_2023-11-05-19-46-59 (resized).png
SmartSelectImage_2023-11-05-19-47-41 (resized).png
BK LED OCD (resized).jpg
FAA79F1E-1D1C-4414-9102-509A0D969B8F (resized).jpeg
pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_1996 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0324 (resized).JPG
20190224_191501 (resized).jpg
20190224_190626 (resized).jpg
20190224_190657 (resized).jpg
7D9CB8A6-BBE7-4797-A174-6D59424CDDC1 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider monkeyboypaul.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#317 7 years ago

Has anyone added an LED OCD to TWD Premium or LE ?

I'm looking at getting an IMVE, which i believe can support an LEDOCD, by removing the smaller boards on J12 & J13, thus restoring the nicer fade effects which Stern bypassed using the VE's LEDs. I'm also keen on TWD, and believe this would also work on the TWD Pro, BUT i prefer the TWD Premium overall, thus my question. Pics of a TWD Prem backbox, J12 & J13 would be enough!

I hate how you can see the game trying to do fades on the red triangular arrow inserts, but it stutters and blinks between ON>OFF>ON. Stern really need better hardware control over their insert effects now they've moved to LEDs.

Yours,
an LED OCD fan across the pond...
Paul.

#319 7 years ago
Quoted from herg:

TWD Prem/LE is a no-go. It uses the newer sytle serial lighting rather than a lamp matrix.

does that mean the Premium has all the fading effects masked for simple LED implementation too? Or does the serial lighting support it?

I know ST Prem can do fading, although they've chosen not too in some cases.

#324 7 years ago

Ok, so hopefully my last assumption & question (for today):

On IMVE; i'd need to have an LEDOCD board, remove the J12 & J13 mini-boards, and enable the OLD option in the "adjustment that lets you pick the new light shows or the old" (taken from the Stern IMVE v1.83 release notes). This then drives the lamps for incandescent lighting effects to support the original IM.

Whereas in TWD Pro, i cannot see any similar option from the release notes, presumably because this is the only version. Therefore the LEDOCD 'could' reveal some good lighting effects hidden in there, as it could've been coded for incandescents, but then again it could 'just' smooth out (and slightly dim) those harsh flashing LEDs.

Thanks.

1 month later
#333 7 years ago

LED OCD installed in IMVE.

AWESOME is restored.

#334 7 years ago

Is there such a thing as LED FLASHER OCD ??

If not, there should be.

#336 7 years ago
Quoted from pezpunk:

i am a huge fan of LEDs, but i keep my flashers incandescent. LED flashers are just way too harsh, unless they are hidden from direct view.

All the more reason for such a product.

#341 7 years ago

Don't suppose there's any more documented logic behind the GIzmo settings for Stern GI?

The website says:

----

(http://ledocd.com/cart/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1&products_id=19)

Fade Time Adjustment
You have the option of removing one or both of the jumpers to make your GI fade on and off more quickly. The speed at which they fade is dependent on how many LEDs are in your game and what type they are.

----

So, LED type aside, does that mean if i take both jumpers out = ON/OFF fade is faster?

Both jumpers plugged in = ON/OFF fade slower?

4 settings in total? i.e.

11 = Slow fade (both jumpers present)
10 = Slower fade
01 = Faster fade
00 = Fast fade (no jumpers present)

The 3 games I have fitted with these have 100% LEDs in the GI.

Much appreciated.

#343 7 years ago
Quoted from herg:

The GIzmo is completely passive. It's just a bridge and some capacitors to convert to DC and slowly discharge. Removing either of the jumpers disconnects one of the capacitors so that the others discharge faster, causing the LEDs to fade off more quickly.

Thanks.

2 weeks later
#352 7 years ago

Even better, don't buy a kit! Just a bag of standard 2SMD frosted sunlight whites from comet will do you for inserts. Just check the no. of wedge vs bayonette.

Plus I doubt the kit includes flashers, GI or backbox. Thus I've found homebrew to be far more interesting.

My AFM and Congo are both 90% sunlight whites, with 10% colour matches that look slightly better. TRON is 70/30 - I'll show you in Oct. Everyone has different tastes though!

1 month later
#367 7 years ago

Interesting to know as I've got a similar high pitched noise emanating from the GI OCD board in my Congo in the UK. It's not become too annoying, yet! I'm using Comet leds.

6 months later
#466 6 years ago
Quoted from jrawlinson_2000:

Are the GI OCD boards now able to work in the UK on 50 Hz?

Mine do!

2 months later
#474 6 years ago
Quoted from cyberkryten:

My Spider-Man has LEDs though I don't know what type as they were done before I got it. Will the LED OCD make them less flickery/flashy? It seems it'll cure the flicker on the villain inserts by the flippers from what I can tell.
Can't quite figure out if I need the Stern Gizmo too as I'm not sure what that controls?
Given I don't know the LED type, does it take long to set up the board to get good settings (and how do I know what good looks like as this is my first pin)

If they're anti-ghosting LEDs then the OCD's effect could be lesser than regular 'cheap' LEDs.

SM took more tuning than any other game I've OCD'd, but the time spent was definitely worthwhile. The 5 Villian inserts and the white arrows needed some tweaking.

You won't benefit from using a GIzmo unless the game's GI is also LED. And even then - the effect is very subtle. I've chosen not to install a GIzmo on TRON, but have on IM and SM. Each to their own.

1 month later
#486 6 years ago

Has anyone installed an LED OCD in TWD Pro? I'd really like to see that.

Really.

1 week later
#488 6 years ago
Quoted from monkeyboypaul:

Has anyone installed an LED OCD in TWD Pro? I'd really like to see that.
Really.

I may be forced to sell my LE, buy a Pro, and do this myself...

Anyone?

1 year later
#550 5 years ago

LED 1st, check, then GI 2nd.

Just make sure you can get the USB cable in easily.

And also there should only be a few, if any, incandescants left in inserts or GI.

Then configure.

1 week later
#553 5 years ago

If anyone's curious, this is what TWD Pro looks like with LED OCD:

Personally, i think it's much better!

Pretty sure delay is set to 1 in this example.

Just sold MET Pro, and had to take this OCD board out before it went. The stock lighting is so harsh, it hurts... I'm buying a MET Prem instead and it'll certainly take some getting used to. I'd happily pay for OCD'ing a Premium...

#565 5 years ago
Quoted from herg:

I really don't have much motivation, either, since I don't plan to buy any Stern SAM with serial controlled lighting.

That’s a shame, because I don’t think anyone else is even looking at this as a problem to solve, but I totally get your position.

I recently sold my OCD’d MET Pro to get a Premium (I like the game a lot!) so it will be hard to adjust to blinkyland all over again... kept the ocd board, but now it has no home

It was smooth as butter in the Pro.

2 months later
#583 5 years ago

I had an OCD board blow in a Shadow once, sounds like a similar action with all bulbs lighting then stopping, but that was down to me pushing it a bit too hard on the board and shorting the back of it against the metal plate. Needed a new transistor, then 100% good again. Also went in AFM, but again that was down to me shorting 2 inserts (changing bulbs with power on, 2 touched, my own fault). point is you may have a short on your lamp matrix - did you put all the bulbs & holders back securely? None hanging down still? I only have the older rev4 design with transistors and a break out board (don’t ask me how rev4 is older!)

Also unplug those mods if you can do so easily.

8 months later
#647 4 years ago
Quoted from herg:

Comet actually does carry the GI OCD now. On https://www.cometpinball.com/products/led-ocd-boards, pull down the "Type" drop down.

Ace

1 month later
#669 4 years ago
Quoted from Durzel:

Can anyone share their GI OCD settings for Twilight Zone please?
I’ve just installed it in my TZ and am getting strange results.. I had a feeling that Zero Cross is not working on my power driver board (LEDs never strobed on an GI dim level even with all options at default) but I knew about that before fitting the board.
Anyway, here’s what I’m seeing:
- With the standard WPC89 settings (String 1 = Input 1, String 2 = Input 2, etc up to 5) my String 3 (Clock & Insert) doesn’t illuminate at all when set to the default Input 3.
- If I set String 3 to be controlled by another Input (e.g. 1 or 2) then it illuminates.
- All other strings seem to work with their corresponding inputs.
- If I use Manual Control in the GI OCD tool I can send different levels of dim properly to each string.
- When on Game Control, none of the strings dim at all - they are at full brightness 100% of the time.
- If I go into the GI test and play with the different brightness levels for different strings nothing changes at all, the game doesn’t even turn off the strings not currently selected (e.g. “Playfield Left” should only illuminate String 1, but everything is on)
Clearly something not right here and am wondering whether it’s an issue with my GI OCD board or the Power Driver Board. Any ideas herg ?
Thanks in advance!

Have you tried your TAF board in TZ?

1 week later
#680 4 years ago

Has anyone got a TZ, with both the Pinbits Gumball light installed and a GI OCD?

The Pinbits instructions suggest wiring the GI part of their mod to the GI string back-left, behind the Gumball.

From memory (as i can't currently test this) that's not the string that dims during the 'put it back' Powerball sequence? so the Pinbita Gumball GI light won't dim.

Has anyone wired their mod to a different (more relevant to the Powerball) GI string?

Can the mod handle dimming with a GI OCD?

I'm also curious to see if the red insert wiring might cause an issue with the OCD board too.

http://www.iobium.com/installing_the_gumball_lamp_boar.htm
pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#682 4 years ago
Quoted from kevinleedrum:

I have both. The GI string that blinks during the powerball callouts is "playfield right" (the coin door inserts are also on this string). I have the the gumball mod connected to the "playfield left" string per the instructions, and I can confirm that it dims quite nicely in the GI tests, so I don't see why it wouldn't work. It's a good idea.

That’s really useful, thanks.

Have you seen any issues with the mod's red Gumball LEDs when connected as per Pinbits guidance and using LED OCD?

4 months later
#700 3 years ago

Hello,

Can anyone with Ingo's clock board *and* a GI OCD board in their Twilight Zone help please?

I've finally got my TZ clock connected again after 2yrs (!) of restoring this machine and I'm running a GI dim 0-8 test but the stock white clock LEDs are not dimming as i was expecting them to.

I know there's a brightness dial on the clockboard, but haven't investigated this yet... it's the final v1.9 Clock board.

GI OCD board is set to dim the clock GI string, and all other playfield/backbox GI dims nicely with the Comet 2SMDs.

Thanks.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RamMods

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

7,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Buffalo, NY
Flipper Parts
TheDudeMods

$ 100.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

$ 79.95
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
Pinball Life

$ 54.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 25.00
$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 12.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

6,899 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Sioux Falls, SD
Machine - For Sale
Castle Rock, CO
$ 15.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Lighting - Led
TheDudeMods

$ 10.00
Playfield - Other
Loop Combo Pinball

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 12.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 18.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

Pinball Machine
Paradise Distribution

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider monkeyboypaul.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/club-led-ocd-tips-tricks-thoughts-and-advice?tu=monkeyboypaul and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.