(Topic ID: 99875)

Club LED OCD, tips, tricks, thoughts, and advice. (www.ledocd.com products)

By Matt_Rasmussen

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 754 posts
  • 152 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 77 days ago by killborn
  • Topic is favorited by 141 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_20240129_174050 (resized).jpg
IMG_20240129_174034 (resized).jpg
IMG_20240129_174044 (resized).jpg
SmartSelectImage_2023-11-05-19-46-59 (resized).png
SmartSelectImage_2023-11-05-19-47-41 (resized).png
BK LED OCD (resized).jpg
FAA79F1E-1D1C-4414-9102-509A0D969B8F (resized).jpeg
pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_1996 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0324 (resized).JPG
20190224_191501 (resized).jpg
20190224_190626 (resized).jpg
20190224_190657 (resized).jpg
7D9CB8A6-BBE7-4797-A174-6D59424CDDC1 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider durzel.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#518 6 years ago

I'm about to install an LED OCD in my TZ, but I've noticed that my Start Button and Extra Ball button look like they're using incandescent bulbs. Everything else in the game with the exception of the clock and a flasher underneath the mini-playfield are LEDs.

Am I likely to blow a fuse with these 2 bulbs in situ, or would I be better off replacing those two bulbs first? They look like a huge pain to remove so I'm hesitant.

#520 6 years ago
Quoted from pezpunk:

you won't blow a fuse with just two incandescents, but it's really not hard to replace those either. check the coin door, too.

Thanks for heads up, didn't even think about those. They are almost certainly going to be incandescent too given that the previous owner didn't bother to replace the button lamps.

#522 6 years ago

Thanks for the fast reply herg

I have a GI OCD board too that I was planning on installing at the same time. I'm guessing I'm going to run into problems then if the clock is standard (4 non-LED bulbs?) and the coin door bulbs (no idea where these are or how to access them) ?

#524 6 years ago

Thanks again. I need to do the clock really, I've been putting it off because it looks like quite a chore to remove, but I have all the parts ready to go (Ingo board etc) so I've got no excuse. I'll do that and the coin door & buttons first before installing your boards I think. Thanks.

8 months later
#546 5 years ago

Any gotchas I should be aware of in installing both the GI and LED OCD boards in the recommended locations (GI OCD vertically on backbox left side, LED OCD horizontally on backbox right bottom) alongside uprated speakers? I bought the 3D printed standoffs for them.

I've got a pair of Flipper Fidelity speakers in my TAF with the terminals at the bottom (looking face on at the panel). From the looks of it these terminals are touching the floor if not very close to the bottom of the backbox.

Was hoping someone might have already found out whether this conflicts with the LED OCD board and how they solved it...

#548 5 years ago

I haven't installed the volume control yet, but I'll most likely be putting it at the front of the cab with the extension kit that you can buy.

I don't know how Stern cabs compare to B/W in terms of speaker spacing though.

Thanks for the feedback

1 week later
#554 5 years ago

Is there anything I need to be aware of fitting a GI OCD to my TAF in the UK? I'm sure I read an old post about how it didn't work or needed some specific firmware to run on 220v/50hz here in the UK? I don't know if that was still the case or if I needed to know anything else?

I bought both boards direct from the US at the start of the year so I presume they are the latest versions but never got around to fitting them to my TZ at the time (it turned out to have GI dimming issues).

#556 5 years ago
Quoted from herg:

A GI OCD purchased recently will have the latest firmware, which allows you to choose 50Hz from within the configuration GUI.

Thanks. Assuming I might not have that firmware already - how would I update it without damaging it by connecting it up?

1 month later
#568 5 years ago

Quick question - I'm aiming to install LED and GI OCD on my TAF soon, but before I do that I'm going through all the lamps and changing them to Comet ones (not non-ghosting). I've done all the inserts and am working on the GI. I was planning on installing the boards last of all.

The GI OCD FAQ says that it changes GI from AC voltage to DC. Will this affect the polarity of #555 wedge bulbs that I install? In other words - will they continue to work when installed in either direction? I've noticed that my flashers only work with the bulb installed in one direction.

The reason I ask is that some of the GI on TAF is particularly tricky to get to, so I don't want to put it all back together and then install GI OCD only to find the bulbs no longer work in the orientation they're installed in, if that makes sense.

I guess what I'm asking is - if all the bulbs in the game light up before installing LED and GI OCD, is there a chance some wouldn't work until they were reversed in the socket afterwards?

#570 5 years ago
Quoted from herg:

It depends on whether your bulbs are "AC", meaning they have a bridge in them. If so, the direction won't matter.

Thanks. They are sold as "AC/DC".

1 month later
#572 5 years ago

Just started trying to install my LED OCD and GI OCD in my TAF. It was bought back in January 2018 (was originally meant to go in my TZ but discovered GI dimming doesn't work on it), but the GI OCD I've got has installation instructions that talk about WPC95 instead of WPC89.

The LED OCD instructions correctly say WPC89.

I've double checked my order (ordered direct from @herg, had it brought back to the UK by a friend) and it definitely says WPC89 for both.

Is the GI OCD different between WPC89 and WPC95? There are two sets of instructions on the website which suggests to me that there must be some differences?

D87101CD-C7AB-4D64-A8A5-6B80E8FB3B1D (resized).jpegD87101CD-C7AB-4D64-A8A5-6B80E8FB3B1D (resized).jpeg

Help gratefully received...

#577 5 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

They are the same board and circuitry. However, the default settings are different, and you’ll want to use the proper settings for your game. If you have WPC95 settings in a WPC89 game, you will be missing 2/5 of the lighting effects.
WPC95 games have 2 GI strings which are basically on all the time, which is also set this way in the LEDOCD default board as you ordered it. You can change it easily, and there are instructions on the site for this.
Also.. TZ is one of the main games to benefit from GIOCD. Are you sure you’re doing it right? IMO it is a must-have for TZ. Perhaps you used the WPC95 settings in your TZ?

I never installed it in my TZ. None of it has been out of the packaging.

I determined before installing that GI dimming was faulty on my power board in TZ because the GI dim levels test do nothing. All of the lights stay on max brightness at any level (they switch on and off correctly according to strings). I assume my Zero Cross is faulty but it's beyond my skills to fix and the game otherwise functions perfectly. I'm aware that GI dimming has to be enabled in settings for it to work in test, etc - I've ruled out settings.

On my TAF with LEDs the dim levels test cause serious strobing effects, so I know the dimming works - in as much as the signal to dim is getting to the bulbs.

#579 5 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Got it - that sucks the TZ won’t do proper dimming - but it works great in TAF as well

Yup, I was gutted when I found out because the machine was fully shopped and I paid a commensurate price for it. Because it is in otherwise perfect condition I've tried to put that fault out of my mind. I'll get it fixed at some point in the future.

Thanks for the clarification on the GI OCD. Just took the instructions out of the bag and found a set for WPC95 and WPC89, so I feel a little stupid now. Unfortunately I'm the sort of person that likes to know exactly what I'm doing before I start.

#580 5 years ago

Well, my LED OCD lasted about 3 seconds. The LEDs on the board just pulsed before turning off completely. No inserts lit on playfield in attract mode.

Uninstalled LED OCD and everything back to normal. Whatever fuse was on the board confirmed as blown (you can see the wire split). The fuse that was preinstalled in there has 1.5A 250V on it - is that right? The instructions talk about it being 2A...

My game has no incandescents at all (including the start button), I replaced every bulb with Comet 2SMD ones. I do have several scoop light mods though (also LED), would that cause a problem?

Here are some photos in case anything obvious stands out, but installation was straightforward.
89C91BCD-620A-4F78-BCEA-720FBB9920CA (resized).jpeg89C91BCD-620A-4F78-BCEA-720FBB9920CA (resized).jpegA07E1277-7860-4047-B4F4-B6116034843B (resized).jpegA07E1277-7860-4047-B4F4-B6116034843B (resized).jpegB3905C54-E9E0-488A-88F4-1EB2A9D15E39 (resized).jpegB3905C54-E9E0-488A-88F4-1EB2A9D15E39 (resized).jpeg
DF34377F-63EB-4870-B206-89F438B52072 (resized).jpegDF34377F-63EB-4870-B206-89F438B52072 (resized).jpeg

#582 5 years ago

Thanks very much for the lightning fast reply. Am I missing out anything by not having the Rev 3 version? It's taken me over a year to get around to trying to install it.

All the bulbs with the exception of the scoop light mods are Comet 2SMD. The scoop mods add another 7 LEDs in total. Don't have any LED strips or anything else in there.

If 2.5A is safe then I guess I'll try that, unless 2A is safer? I'm not aware of anything wrong with the game, everything works as you'd expect and there is 100% not a single incandescent in there.

Sorry for all the dumb questions.

#584 5 years ago

I'm pretty sure my board wasn't shorting on anything, it was installed on the brackets (also bought from herg ) and with the supplied nylon screws.

Just think my TAF has too many bright LEDs I think (I hope!). Will try fitting a 2A one and if that fails go up to 2.5A.

#586 5 years ago
Quoted from herg:

It has bigger transistors and as a result, it can survive stuff like pushing down and shorting or shorted lamp sockets a bit more often. It's still not foolproof, though. There are no other differences in operation.

Ok thanks. Guess I'll have to be very careful.

Quoted from herg:

It depends on how these are powered. If they're hanging off the lamp matrix, they will certainly put more strain on the OCD transistors. If they're on GI, they're probably fine, and if they're powered by a separate source, even better.

They are spliced inline with the inserts with Molex connectors, so they illuminate when the inserts do. So they would be adding load to lamps that LED OCD intercepts.

Quoted from herg:

Yes, a 2A would blow quicker in the case of a "real" short, possibily saving the board. Still no guarantees, though.

Have ordered 2A and 2.5A fuses, will try 2A first.

Can LED OCD handle the "All Lamp Test" test mode, where all insert lamps switch on at the same time and off again?

I have GI OCD yet to fit ("Rev 4 or later"). Should I be worried that I have Comet 2SMD in all of the GI too, and a few OpMax ones too?

#592 5 years ago

Bit of a useless post but I took a video of my TAF in advance of me trying to fit my LED OCD board again, and was amazed to see that the video looks nothing like it does to me to the naked eye. In the video it looks like the machine is spazzing out, with inserts flashing almost randomly, ghosting being very manifest, etc.

Is this simply how the LEDs are behaving and that my eyes just don't "see" it, or otherwise tune it out somehow?

Dumb question I know.. but it's so weird to see a video that looks nothing like the machine does in person!

herg - I forgot to mention I have LED ring pop bumpers.. they must add a fair amount more load than a single LED. Explains 1.5A blowing at least

#594 5 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Just LEDs being LEDs. One of the challenges of explaining this mod is you ACTUALLY DO need to see it in person, because the cameras can’t capture the difference

I guess it also explains why some people don't have a problem with LEDs and wonder what the fuss is about. I don't see anything like that video when I'm stood in front of the machine, it just looks normal (albeit digital on-off).

I've heard people complaining of LEDs giving them headaches, and if they're more susceptible to framerates etc (that video was 29.97 FPS - standard iPhone video), and now I can sympathise!

#598 5 years ago

2A did the trick.. woop!

Looks amazing even without configuring anything yet.

7D9CB8A6-BBE7-4797-A174-6D59424CDDC1 (resized).jpeg7D9CB8A6-BBE7-4797-A174-6D59424CDDC1 (resized).jpeg

#599 5 years ago

Fitted GI OCD too, worked first time

Some questions though..

1) When I read the settings off the GI OCD all of the strings had 100 in B8 of the range. The software shows that in orange which I presume means unsafe? What should it be by default? The software usage page shows it as 35 in B8!

2) The blinker bulbs (Comet fast and slow) behave weirdly. Doing manual testing on them they don't respond predictably, and don't seem to turn on at all without high values in the B1 setting. They don't dim at all from what I can see.

3) More of a TAF specific thing.. does anyone know what String 4 is supposed to be? From my testing String 1 = Left Playfield, String 2 = House (backglass), String 3 = People (blinkers, backglass), String 5 = Right Playfield.. which leaves?

Thanks in advance.

#601 5 years ago

Thanks. Set them all to 40. I couldn't really see any brightness difference between 35 and 40.

Couldn't explain how they all ended up on 100, but it's sorted now. Haven't been playing with Advanced at all, the default settings seem to be near perfect (great job @herg)

Found out there is an unused string in TAF, so guessing that's 4.

Thanks for your help.

#603 5 years ago
Quoted from herg:

Blinker bulbs are hit and miss. I have a couple in my SS that work fine. Other in my TZ do not. I use incandescent blinkers in it because of this.
I believe is has to do with how the blinkers are implemented, and if they are without power for long enough they reset their sequence. That doesn't really explain why they wouldn't work at 100%, though. Is it a steady 100, or a ramp with a max of 100?
I have recently made an update to the firmware that increases the pulse rate to 1kHz. Believe it or not, I got a message from a guy that could see strobing at 250 Hz! Anyway, I'm theorizing this increased rate might also help blinker LEDs. I have some on order that I'm going to test. The only bayonet one I have works, but I want to fill all 6 spots in TZ.

This is from a long time ago but.. is there any benefit to setting the pulse rate to 1kHz? I think mine was on 500hz, which I presume is the default (also set to 50hz as I'm in the UK). I see "shimmering" in my GI and inserts if I try and set the brightness to much below 10. They are standard Comet 2SMD bulbs (not non-ghosting ones). If the pulse rate isn't likely to make any difference to that, I'll just leave it as it is and carry on leaving it starting on 10.

#605 5 years ago

Thanks.

I'm starting to wonder whether it's actually worth me routing two USB cables through the front of the machine (the two I received are not long enough to reach the coin door comfortably) given how much I'm already tweaking with it lol.

#610 5 years ago

How cool is that

Is there any reason B7 and B8 would be the same brightness in GI test (pin menu, not anything to do with GI OCD software)?

GI fades correctly from B1-6, but B7 always appears to be the same brightness as B8. I've even tried setting a big difference between B7 and B8 - e.g B7 is 10, B8 is 35 to no avail.

#613 5 years ago
Quoted from herg:

I can't say for certain why, but there is absolutely no difference in output between B7 and B8 from the games. As a result, I can't detect which one it's set to.

Ah well. I won't notice it really. Just glad my game isn't faulty! Thanks for the fast reply (again)

#616 5 years ago

herg will there be any way for us folk in the UK to buy one? I'd definitely be keen to protect mine.

#618 5 years ago

No probs, thanks anyway.

#621 5 years ago

Getting a bit ahead of myself here but how would this stay attached? Cable tie through the PCB holes as it is now? (guess you could use two instead of one looping over/under the edge connector - which isn't great) or nylon screws per your LED & GI board brackets?

Would it be feasible to have a small lip on the other side that would keep the PCB in place as it would only be held down on one side?

#625 5 years ago
Quoted from pinball_ric:

I wouldn't think of it that way. Lots of times products get things added to them at no additional cost. I was given some LED OCD's as a give (that I have yet to install) and I wouldn't feel bad if you did this. Though I also don't have any desire to get one either. I'm sure I can figure out something out for mounting the board.

Agreed. No sense selling something at a loss by only charging for shipping. Products evolve over time, and all of us buying them knew what we're getting (and not getting) when we buy them. I would definitely want one of these but I wouldn't expect to get one at lower than cost price a year after I bought GI OCD.

I'd rather you (like anyone) turn a profit if it makes this line of work sustainable for you. Taking a loss on each one shipped by only charging for shipping doesn't help that. Posting the STL online more than covers you for past customers I think.

4 weeks later
#636 5 years ago

LED OCD has got nothing to do with GI so wouldn't be affected by that setting.

Not in front of my machine (TAF, but it's still WPC89) but the ground connection for LED OCD goes to the top right of the machine. It only goes there I think?

7 months later
#644 4 years ago

Where are non-US folk supposed to buy these from?

Comet sell the LED OCD, but to my knowledge have never sold the GI OCD.
Pinballshop.nl did sell both, for an exorbitant price (imo), but do not list the GI OCD at all anymore.

As far as I can tell there are no other suppliers.

Are non-US folk just screwed?

#646 4 years ago

Apologies, I forgot I posted on here too. herg as ever was brilliant, responding immediately

1 month later
#648 4 years ago

Hi,

Can anyone tell me what type of #8-32 1/4" nylon screws are needed to attach LED and GI OCD to their respective brackets? (seen
here  and here)

You can't get these screws in the UK so I guess I'm going to have to try and import them from somewhere.

Looking at this website  for example, I can see choices for PAN (head I assume?), FLT (?) and "Binding", whatever that means.

Can anyone point me in the direction of the correct screws please.. herg ?

#650 4 years ago

Thanks. Will see if I can find some of those

#652 4 years ago

My small board in my TAF is just cable tied to the loom running along the bottom of the Power Driver Board. My GI OCD board is mounted on the left hand side of the backbox, per the bracket instructions.

There’s pretty much nowhere to mount it other than that really.

#654 4 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Hm, that's what I thought :/ and TZ has another board already occupying that space

What have you got already occupying that space?

#656 4 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

I’ll have to take a photo. There’s a stock board for TZ that sits there. I forget what itis

You've got me very curious now. I definitely don't have any board on the left hand side of my TZ backbox..

IMG_1996 (resized).jpegIMG_1996 (resized).jpeg

(bit of an old photo, but still)

#660 4 years ago

If you can’t remount that board I think you’re going to struggle to fit the GI OCD board. The cables that come with it are only long enough to reach the bottom of the boards in the usual places.

You might possibly be able to mount it on the bottom of the backbox on the left, covering over the hole that is normally used to secure the backbox down, but I would’ve thought it would foul the speaker.

#663 4 years ago
Quoted from latenite04:

A M4 screw is very close to a #8-32. If you can find nylon pan head M4 screws locally give those a try.

Thanks. I managed to score some 8-32 “UNC” screws from a UK store, hopefully they’ll work. Had to buy 100 of them though lol.

Quoted from Coyote:

I mounted mine just above the 8-Driver PCB. I left my interconnect board 'floating' - i.e. Not secured to anything.

Mine is sortof floating too, if it’s the one I’m thinking of. I don’t think you can really install that one anywhere, but you can cable tie it to the loom if desired.

2 weeks later
#668 4 years ago

Can anyone share their GI OCD settings for Twilight Zone please?

I’ve just installed it in my TZ and am getting strange results.. I had a feeling that Zero Cross is not working on my power driver board (LEDs never strobed on an GI dim level even with all options at default) but I knew about that before fitting the board.

Anyway, here’s what I’m seeing:

- With the standard WPC89 settings (String 1 = Input 1, String 2 = Input 2, etc up to 5) my String 3 (Clock & Insert) doesn’t illuminate at all when set to the default Input 3.
- If I set String 3 to be controlled by another Input (e.g. 1 or 2) then it illuminates.
- All other strings seem to work with their corresponding inputs.
- If I use Manual Control in the GI OCD tool I can send different levels of dim properly to each string.
- When on Game Control, none of the strings dim at all - they are at full brightness 100% of the time.
- If I go into the GI test and play with the different brightness levels for different strings nothing changes at all, the game doesn’t even turn off the strings not currently selected (e.g. “Playfield Left” should only illuminate String 1, but everything is on)

Clearly something not right here and am wondering whether it’s an issue with my GI OCD board or the Power Driver Board. Any ideas herg ?

Thanks in advance!

#670 4 years ago
Quoted from monkeyboypaul:

Have you tried your TAF board in TZ?

The GI OCD board? Or the PDB?

I could do that I guess, though I have a feeling since Manual Control dims the different strings properly and Game Control doesn’t the signal to dim isn’t getting from the game to the GI OCD board.

Not knowing the signal paths of GI OCD etc it’s not really easy to diagnose. I could switch over my GI OCD board from my TAF I suppose.

I can’t explain the String 3/Input 3 not working though, when changing the input to something else does.

#678 4 years ago
Quoted from webdeck:

I'm planning on installing both the LED OCD and the GI OCD into my TAF. One concern I have is the blinking GI lights in the backbox - I have a nice set of various blinkers from Comet. I don't really have the tools/skills to modify all of the blinker LEDs to add a capacitor to each. I believe that all the blinkers are on a single GI string (#3), so my thought was to see if there is some way to wire it so that string 3 bypasses the GI OCD (wiring it to be on all the time is fine if that's easiest.) Has anyone done something like this - if so, what's required? Does it wind up being harder than modifying the LEDs? Thanks!

The software allows you to set a string to be always on, so you’re all set.

I have LED and GI OCD in my TAF with Comet slow and fast blinking bulbs and have just left it on the standard settings, it appears to work fine.

4 weeks later
#683 4 years ago

I'm going to be taking apart my mini playfield on my TZ, which has GI and LED OCD fitted and working. Part of this is going to involve wiring up 8 star post LEDs to one of the GI bulbs on the street lamp.

Ordinarily it wouldn't matter which wire is which since its AC, but GI OCD changes this to DC doesn't it? How would I know which wire is positive and which one is negative?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

€ 27.50
Playfield - Decals
Pin-Decals

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Denver, CO
$ 44.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods

$ 79.95
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
Pinball Life

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 25.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 100.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

$ 12.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 39.50
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RamMods

$ 12.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 59.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Machine - For Sale
Indian Land, SC
$ 28.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Montpelier, VA
17,250 (OBO)
$ 25.00
$ 125.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
FlipMods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider durzel.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/club-led-ocd-tips-tricks-thoughts-and-advice?tu=durzel and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.