(Topic ID: 99875)

Club LED OCD, tips, tricks, thoughts, and advice. (www.ledocd.com products)

By Matt_Rasmussen

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 754 posts
  • 152 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 78 days ago by killborn
  • Topic is favorited by 141 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_20240129_174050 (resized).jpg
IMG_20240129_174034 (resized).jpg
IMG_20240129_174044 (resized).jpg
SmartSelectImage_2023-11-05-19-46-59 (resized).png
SmartSelectImage_2023-11-05-19-47-41 (resized).png
BK LED OCD (resized).jpg
FAA79F1E-1D1C-4414-9102-509A0D969B8F (resized).jpeg
pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_1996 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0324 (resized).JPG
20190224_191501 (resized).jpg
20190224_190626 (resized).jpg
20190224_190657 (resized).jpg
7D9CB8A6-BBE7-4797-A174-6D59424CDDC1 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Matt_Rasmussen.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 9 years ago

EDIT: The Dropbox folder has been shut down from non-use. Just thought I'd try, but it is such a personal thing and dependent upon LED selections so I'm not surprised it wasn't popular.

EDIT: I have made a Dropbox shared folder for this topic, for all of us to share setting files.

If you don't have a Dropbox account, you can download the software here (it's free, and awesome)...

http://www.dropbox.com (and if you don't mind, put in my email and kick me a little free storage [email protected]).

Once you have it installed, shoot me a message with your email address that you've associated with your account and I'll share the folder with you. I'll make all users admins of the folder so you can add other users as you see fit and add files to the share.

I'd like to keep the file structure organized from the start, so I was thinking Pinside game initials as the folder, and then name your layouts with your username and mmddyy and version. For example...

In the RBION folder I would save my layout as Matt_Rasmussen090814v1.xls This will hopefully allow us to keep everything neat and tidy for everyone and allow you to find your stuff and manage your files easily without accidentally deleting others work.

ORIGINAL:
Didn't see a club for this yet, but I do think it deserves one. Hopefully Herg approves, I think it would be nice to have everything all in one thread for others to enjoy.

I just picked one up a couple weeks ago for my RBION and even before tweaking it, it made a huge difference in elimination of ghosting and flicker. I understand the machine is somewhat difficult to setup with this board, but the time spent is worth it. Ok, maybe difficult isn't the right word, but the machine uses a lot of effects that make the transition to LED interesting.

I've been messing around with it and have tried the recommended settings for the machine, setting some levels identical to eliminate the most flicker. I have experimented with using all the brightness levels, but setting the delay much higher, right now I'm using a delay of five and an enjoying the heck out of the results.

Curious what others with this machine have tried with their specific LED's, just for a point of reference.

#3 9 years ago

I believe they have Stern ones in stock my friend...

Looks like 33 of them on hand.

http://ledocd.com/cart/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1&products_id=2

#12 9 years ago

I'm going to be finishing up my LAH soon, all LEDed everything. Flashers, inserts, GI. We'll see what it looks like, but hopefully you have a bunch of boards coming in, because I think people see them, they'll fly off the shelves.

#24 9 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

Question, I have Avatar LE so right out of the box will the OCD board mimic the stock fade pattern of the inserts for my game or will I have to mess with it.

It will be better than it is now, but to say perfect right out of the box...probably not. But I could help...

#25 9 years ago

How much time on average did you spend tweaking your machines?

#26 9 years ago
Quoted from Schwaggs:

I'm not part of this club yet but want to be very badly! I'm waiting for the next batch of Williams LED OCD boards for one of my machines.
Can we modify the charter of this club to include GI OCD or should we start a new club?
I installed a GI OCD in my STTNG over the weekend and all I can say is WOW. What a professional product!

All inclusive of all LED OCD products...

#33 9 years ago
Quoted from pezpunk:

That's true, but I think you can tweak the settings and get them looking good. The software gives you a lot of flexibility to control how it lights each lamp.

Well, there is some limitation, you have 8 possible lighting/brightness ramp profiles, of which any one can be selected for every lamp in the game individually. So yes, you could do a custom setting for a single bulb, but you would then have 7 for the rest of your game. But I doubt that there is a game that would require you to do 8 custom settings for 8 single lamps, so maybe limitation isn't a good word, more like 'just the way it works'.

#34 9 years ago
Quoted from herg:

Really?!? I've never been able to make use of anything that high, but you have me intrigued. I'm going to try it on my RBION as soon as I get some spare time.

I don't know exactly how it works, but it seems to smooth out the transitions but yet allowing maximum brightness levels. I tried comparing some lights next to each other with the settings that you provided in another thread with my settings with a delay of 5 and it's close, but with my LED's I think the delay of 5 is working for me. I would be curious what you think / how it works with your machine.

#37 9 years ago
Quoted from herg:

I tried a delay setting of 5 on my RBION last night, and for me, I think it's too high. The biggest thing that jumped out at me was that a blinking continent insert was just barely pulsing, and you had to pay fairly close attention to tell between that and a fully lit one.
It could be dependent on the type of LEDs as well, but for my preference, in my machine, I wouldn't set it that high.

I'll give it another look comparing different settings. Thanks for the thoughts..

2 weeks later
#66 9 years ago
Quoted from herg:

There is not really a wait list any longer. You can sign up for notifications via the website to receive email when I add to inventory.
I received my shipment today, and I will be doing final assembly and test on them over the next few days. I'll probably be shipping the first ones out on Saturday (hopefully). Whether or not that gets it to Ottawa in time, I can't be sure.

Hope you got a lot of them.

1 week later
#72 9 years ago

I'll setup a file share via dropbox, where we all can share our files. Look for another post tomorrow....

#73 9 years ago

Dropbox folder share information moved to first post in the thread...

#76 9 years ago
Quoted from BrewersArcade:

I just uploaded a video on upgrading my Space Shuttle to LEDs. I bought mine from Comet Pinball and I go into detail about what bulbs look good and where for anyone interested. It came out looking awesome!
» YouTube video

What does this have to do with LED OCD board?

2 weeks later
#81 9 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

That makes a HUGE diff. Like the designers had intended it to look.

Yes, amazing mod for sure.

#82 9 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

Anybody have settings they use for this on a Congo? If not, what's the general percentage most of you keep your insert LEDs at? I know the default is 85%, but what do you guys advise as a ballpark to work from, if not 85?

85% is the maximum brightness setting that I've noticed makes a difference, but really depends upon your bulbs. The bulbs I use generally turn on without flicker around 15% and depending upon the game I then do even increments up to 85% as max brightness. Some machines don't use certain values, or, the granularity of the change between them causes flicker if the change is too high, so sometimes you'll have several of the brightness entries the same.

If you follow the help guide on the website it works pretty well teaching you how to properly tweak out a machine will it's on and in a game to properly test your lamp fades and what works and what doesn't.

#87 9 years ago

Two leds would make you remove it, vs all of them?

#89 9 years ago

Yeah, that's the problem with the 'premium' bulbs. Clearly states that on site. Sucks your having trouble though.

#92 9 years ago

I've had LEDs not work in sockets before, even though the sockets were hot. Spring was too compressed or the leads on the bulb were to fine to make good contact etc. Have you bypassed the board and they start working without doing anything else? (I think you can do that from the software...)

And if you set the brightness to 8, I would expect them to be lit at their lowest level, if even at all. My bulbs don't even light until 10%.

#97 9 years ago

Pinball machines are finicky, you're not the only one. I'd make sure the socket themselves are making good contact before you go any deeper/harder, that's a common issue.

#104 9 years ago
Quoted from Fifty:

I finally installed my Sys11 LED OCD..

How are you going to connect the USB cable?

2 months later
#126 9 years ago

Question on STTNG GI, especially the shields. Curious what your settings are for that string, I do get fading upon shield damage, but I think it could be more pronounced. Using the shield brightness levels settings I couldn't seem to find a setting in the GI OCD that had a nice gradual fade for a levels. But maybe the game only uses a few levels and not all 8?

Thanks for the advice!

#127 9 years ago
Quoted from Matt_Rasmussen:

Question on STTNG GI, especially the shields. Curious what your settings are for that string, I do get fading upon shield damage, but I think it could be more pronounced. Using the shield brightness levels settings I couldn't seem to find a setting in the GI OCD that had a nice gradual fade for all levels. But maybe the game only uses a few levels and not all 8?
Thanks for the advice!

#129 9 years ago

Yes, I've done that, and have it setup there to fade pretty well. Certainly level 7 and 8 are identical in the menu tests. But when the game starts it drops to a different value. I'll just have to spend the time and map out all the actual values used during game play by your technique posted in the usage. Just thought maybe someone already did it.

#136 9 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

There's nothing you can do about it, it's just the nature of the beast. If your camera had a 3/4in ccd or a CMOS chip it might make a dif. I don't know.

There's probably a way to edit them somehow, to mimic the limitations of our eyes/brains. Our sight is just designed to reject a lot of those wavelengths of light, much like our hearing is designed to reject a lot of sounds. If you've ever worked with microphones you can tell how well our hearing rejects sounds. Can you imagine waking around and seeing that way all the time?

#137 9 years ago

I'm thinking of terminating the dropbox idea, there isn't much participation. It was a good attempt, but I can see it's limited usefulness with the varying types of lamps, setups, and personal preferences. I'll keep it up for a while longer, but if the submissions don't start happening it'll eventually disappear.

#141 9 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

Not really, it's all about the type of sensor used for pick-up that's why I suggested those 2.

Yeah, really. . Does it with my camera phone and does it with my APC-S sensor, and also my buddies full frame 35mm sensor.

#143 9 years ago

My Sony NEX camera is a CMOS sensor, most camera today are CMOS.

#146 9 years ago
Quoted from pinballnut3:

Matt come over sometime play some pinball. I got this ledocd but understand nothing. I plugged it in and its working I know that.

If you're happy with that, then it's good! You don't have to do anything more if you don't want to. Otherwise yeah, that would be fun, run through the program etc.

1 week later
#153 9 years ago

Hey Herg, I've noticed that sometimes the software has a passthrough mode and sometimes not. Is that feature board dependant?

#156 9 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

OK I just ordered from Comet for my Nascar, what can I expect as far as hook up and settings. I've never done anything this complicated to a game before. A real greenhorn.

Look at the instructions online, it's pretty easy.

#161 9 years ago

Hopefully not non-ghosting LEDs.

1 month later
#165 9 years ago
Quoted from mac622:

I'm in the middle of shopping my WH2O and will be installing LED's throughout for the G.I. controlled lights and a GI OCD to take advantage WH2O's cool dimming features. Has anyone installed an LED OCD in their WH2O and if so was the difference significant? I'm using Comet 5050's for the inserts and 10MM bullets for the GI (with a couple colored 5050's scattered about). Since I don't have the game back together yet I don't know if there's any ghosting/strobing issues with the inserts.

LED OCD is only partly about removing the ghost effect on standard LED's. It's best feature is incandescent like fading with LED's.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 99.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Loop Combo Pinball

$ 20.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Haus

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 12.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RamMods

$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

10,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Deer Park, NY
Flipper Parts
TheDudeMods

Trade
Machine - For Trade
West Chester, PA
4,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Ronkonkoma, NY
$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

€ 7.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

$ 89.99
Cabinet - Decals
Maine Home Recreation

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

Machine - For Sale
Rockford, IL
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 25.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 16.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 189.00
Playfield - Plastics
Starcade Amusement

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Matt_Rasmussen.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/club-led-ocd-tips-tricks-thoughts-and-advice?tu=Matt_Rasmussen and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.