DSC01409 (resized).JPG
DSC01435 (resized).JPG
DSC01358 (resized).JPG
DSC01386 (resized).JPG
DSC01387 (resized).JPG
DSC01368 (resized).JPG
DSC01458 (resized).JPG
IMG_9725 (resized).JPG
There are 134 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.
#101 2 years ago
Quoted from EddiePi:

Sadly to say, it may be time for it to find a new home.

Well its a great market to sell it, I thought I did good when I sold mine, that was a couple years ago.

2 months later
#102 2 years ago

I made a thread about this, got no response. What do you guys do for a replacement briefcase rubber piece? PBR doesnt sell the rubber by itself. Im shopping one out for someone and the one on there is kinda cracked. Still usable but I would like to replace it if possible

1 year later
#103 1 year ago

Just picked a really nice Barb Wire. System 3 games are all pretty good. It's not very deep, but it's a fun shooting game with lots going on. Sometimes, deep codes sucks all the fun out of a game.

#104 1 year ago

In my spare time I have been shopping out my new to me game. It is beginning to look pretty good. Nothing was missing, broken or cracked.

20230219_125800 (resized).jpg20230219_125800 (resized).jpg
#105 1 year ago

Nice!

Man, I wish they would have made that target bank on the right drop down or something. The lens toy is so useless and dumb. So much wasted space.

#106 1 year ago
Quoted from Chitownpinball:

Nice!
Man, I wish they would have made that target bank on the right drop down or something. The lens toy is so useless and dumb. So much wasted space.

Yeah, the "lens thing" is odd. How Gottlieb put it together was even more odd. It doesn't bug me though. Part of the Gottlieb charm I guess.

#107 1 year ago
Quoted from Mad_Dog_Coin_Op:

Yeah, the "lens thing" is odd. How Gottlieb put it together was even more odd. It doesn't bug me though. Part of the Gottlieb charm I guess.

For sure. I just see potential to open the game up a bit and make it do more. All their system 3s seem to have spots that could be used. Ive got a plan for a sf2 “upmake”. Need to find a playfield…

#108 1 year ago

Barb Wire is back together and looking good! Now I am just waiting for my PBR package to arrive with the correct flippers bats.

20230222_191057 (resized).jpg20230222_191057 (resized).jpg
#109 1 year ago

Aw man, its converted to williams flippers or what? I actually really dug the way a freddy shot with williams flippers.

#110 1 year ago

In my spare time I have been shopping out my new to me game. It is beginning to look pretty good. Nothing was missing, broken or cracked.
[quoted image]

williams flippers on a gottlieb machine.

#111 1 year ago
Quoted from ledge:

williams flippers on a gottlieb machine.

Ya! Ive seen this before. Some at the pinball hall of fame in vegas had them. I liked it! Gottlieb catch alls feel so weird.

#112 1 year ago

Rest easy Gottlieb fans. The OEM flippers have been re-installed.

20230224_164900 (resized).jpg20230224_164900 (resized).jpg
#113 1 year ago

I've got a Barb Wire question. When I got my game, the captive ball chamber had two balls in it. It was super easy to score with two balls. The manual illustration only shows one ball in the chamber so that is what I went with. The shot is still very feasible but less easy. Was there some sort of a service bulletin that came out after the fact? How many balls are other owners running in the captive ball chamber?

#114 1 year ago

Anyone out there willing to count their captive balls?

#115 1 year ago

Anyone out there willing to count their captive balls?

On my Barb Wire I only have one ball in the captive chamber. My wife's purse still has 2 in there however.

#116 1 year ago

Only had 1 ball in the one I had.

#117 1 year ago

I am declaring victory on Barb Wire. It is now 100% LED and really pops because of it. I went ahead and swapped all the coil sleeves, too. The game still has its original battery. The current game count is 4600. The cabinet is amazingly clean. I think this will be a keeper. The last photo is a before shot. Everything else shown is post shop job.

20230304_140010 (resized).jpg20230304_140010 (resized).jpg20230304_140033 (resized).jpg20230304_140033 (resized).jpg20230304_164203 (resized).jpg20230304_164203 (resized).jpg20230304_164213 (resized).jpg20230304_164213 (resized).jpg20230304_164220 (resized).jpg20230304_164220 (resized).jpgimagejpeg_0 (resized).jpgimagejpeg_0 (resized).jpg

2 months later
#119 1 year ago

This is for anyone on the fence for getting a Barb Wire. My collection consists of both pins and arcades. Most of them are at my larger vacaton house. I keep about 1/3 of them at my primary residence and switch them out to keep the selection fresh. That being said, I had a couple people over last night and Barb Wire was played the most. That night it beat out Elvira HoH, Star Gazer and Halloween. All those titles are worth much more value wise. The arcades were barely touched. Gottlieb System 3 games really appeal to the casual player.

#120 1 year ago

This is for anyone on the fence for getting a Barb Wire. My collection consists of both pins and arcades. Most of them are at my larger vacaton house. I keep about 1/3 of them at my primary residence and switch them out to keep the selection fresh. That being said, I had a couple people over last night and Barb Wire was played the most. That night it beat out Elvira HoH, Star Gazer and Halloween. All those titles are worth much more value wise. The arcades were barely touched. Gottlieb System 3 games really appeal to the casual player.

It's a fun layout with one of the coolest bash toys (Big Fatso) in pinball. Back when I had mine it was also popular. The biggest problem is finding one.

2 months later
#121 12 months ago

Finally picked up a reasonably priced Barb Wire (from Jimmy formerly of PBR, no less) recently. Looking forward to diving into this one to make it play mean and fast.

A few things I'm curious about:
What post rubbers are we all going with? I'm in the habit of making my games as absolutely difficult as possible, so I'm feeling that I should use the Titan Tapered Bell posts for all posts as mine have these kind of insane bell looking posts (original as far as I can tell). Anybody tried this?
I'm likely going to go to the Sys1 coil stop trick to make the ball a little bit harder to control as well.

I picked up a few spare parts for this game too. If anybody's looking for something, let me know.

IMG_9722 (resized).JPGIMG_9722 (resized).JPGIMG_9725 (resized).JPGIMG_9725 (resized).JPG
2 weeks later
#122 11 months ago

Looking to add some custom cards to my Barbwire and get rid of the fugly stock factory ones. Does anyone have some good custom cards they made they can share? -Thanks

#123 11 months ago

Most custom cards look like shit. Awful pixelated pieces of trash.

Gottlieb did a lot of things wrong, but they also did a lot of things well. Their graphic design is one of them.

Here's a link to some goofy ones, https://zonaarcade.forumcommunity.net/?t=61597887

Here's a link to some good looking ones. http://www.pinballrebel.com/game/pins/instruction/Gottlieb_Barb_Wire_instruction_cards.zip

#124 11 months ago
Quoted from pinmister:

Looking to add some custom cards to my Barbwire and get rid of the fugly stock factory ones. Does anyone have some good custom cards they made they can share? -Thanks

When I had my Barb Wire I just had the original instructions printed on metallic-grey looking card stock painted with highlights of "rust" instead of the Gottlieb yellow card stock. I also had a length of actual Barbed Wire zip tied to the rail on the apron. It was old with some rusty patina which gave it a cool look, and I ground the sharp points off the barbs and shot it with clear lacquer before putting it on. I also used small grey zip ties that didn't stand out too much. I thought it was a cool way to dress up the area.

1 month later
#125 9 months ago

So seven years ago I had the idea to try and make an alternative translight and cards for my Barbwire. I always liked the Dark Horse comic Barbwire series and wanted to get rid of the tacky 'Pam' translight that came stock from factory. Well I finally found the time to get around to it and a fellow pinsider helped me design a new alternative translight for Barbwire that turned out fantastic! We went back and forth on design elements(lots of emails) and added some personal elements to make it special. I wanted her to appear like she is in an 1980's bar for the background and I love the pin up style art. We also made an alternative version that is closer to original art as well. I am so stoked and had a great time making it. It really transforms the game and makes it pop with the new translight and cards. If you are interested in transforming your Barbwire I can put you in touch with the Pinsider who helped me out.

-Enjoy

This is the Dark Horse cover I based alternative art off of and before and after pics...

DSC01458 (resized).JPGDSC01458 (resized).JPGDSC01368 (resized).JPGDSC01368 (resized).JPGDSC01358 (resized).JPGDSC01358 (resized).JPGDSC01386 (resized).JPGDSC01386 (resized).JPGDSC01387 (resized).JPGDSC01387 (resized).JPGDSC01435 (resized).JPGDSC01435 (resized).JPGDSC01443 (resized).JPGDSC01443 (resized).JPGDSC01409 (resized).JPGDSC01409 (resized).JPGDSC01413 (resized).JPGDSC01413 (resized).JPGDSC01411 (resized).JPGDSC01411 (resized).JPGDSC01414 (resized).JPGDSC01414 (resized).JPG
#126 9 months ago
Quoted from pinmister:

So seven years ago I had the idea to try and make an alternative translight and cards for my Barbwire. I always liked the Dark Horse comic Barbwire series and wanted to get rid of the tacky 'Pam' translight that came stock from factory. Well I finally found the time to get around to it and a fellow pinsider helped me design a new alternative translight for Barbwire that turned out fantastic! We went back and forth on design elements(lots of emails) and added some personal elements to make it special. I wanted her to appear like she is in an 1980's bar for the background and I love the pin up style art. We also made an alternative version that is closer to original art as well. I am so stoked and had a great time making it. It really transforms the game and makes it pop with the new translight and cards. If you are interested in transforming your Barbwire I can put you in touch with the Pinsider who helped me out.
-Enjoy
This is the Dark Horse cover I based alternative art off of and before and after pics...[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

That's pretty cool. How does it look with the flashers behind it? The flasher placement in the backbox light board is very specific to the Pam Anderson translite.

#127 9 months ago

How does it look with the flashers behind it?

So I thought the flashers would not look right with the big ones for headlight, etc. but you can't even really tell when they flash. It just looks like the pin up girl is flashing or she has 'sparkle'. -Really glad I made the alternate and it really transforms the games look.

#128 9 months ago
Quoted from pinmister:

So I thought the flashers would not look right with the big ones for headlight, etc. but you can't even really tell when they flash. It just looks like the pin up girl is flashing or she has 'sparkle'. -Really glad I made the alternate and it really transforms the games look.

But it has the Bally logo and it's a Gottlieb pin.

#129 9 months ago
Quoted from Electronmagic:

But it has the Bally logo and it's a Gottlieb pin

Yes I did that on purpose. There is Gottlieb right below translight and when I was choosing my favorite neon lights to add-Bally was one of them. I wanted it to look like an 80's Bar and the Bally neons from back in the day I can remember well. We went through multiple renditions including a Subaru logo neon because I love my Subie and a Honda neon for my bikes(fellow pinsider idea). Decided as much as I liked them-I wanted it to look like an old school bar. If you were interested in having one made-it can be changed to Gottlieb as well as it may throw some off.

Bally Neon (resized).pngBally Neon (resized).pngBarbwire redition. (resized).pngBarbwire redition. (resized).pngBarbwire rendition (resized).pngBarbwire rendition (resized).png

2 months later
#130 7 months ago

I came into a huge an amount of NOS assets for Barb Wire, mostly plastics and some ramps. If you have anything you need, let me know.

Most of the ramps are in nice shape but the ramp flaps are tarnished. I have exhausted my subway supply. Many many many many plastics.

Let me know what you need.

#131 7 months ago
Quoted from radial_head:

I came into a huge an amount of NOS assets for Barb Wire, mostly plastics and some ramps. If you have anything you need, let me know.
Most of the ramps are in nice shape but the ramp flaps are tarnished. I have exhausted my subway supply. Many many many many plastics.
Let me know what you need.

Sure, now that I sold mine there's a source.

#132 7 months ago

Well finished up the shop on this one. Made it hard. Put TOTAN posts around Big Fatso to make that shot a little harder. Took the center post out. Put in Sys1 coil stops on the flippers (which is an aboslute must for all my Sys3 DMD games now). Really fun to shooting layout! Still figuring out what the semblance of rules look like.

A few small things. Should the auto fire launcher make it up the rear ramp or should it fail to make it that far up and just get kicked out of the right hole?
Nothing reports stuck in switch test but something is making the "SHQURUUUUUUUSHOWS" rocket launcher sound (at least I'm ASSUMING that's whta that is) go off a lot. Any ideas?

IMG_1134 (resized).JPGIMG_1134 (resized).JPG
#133 7 months ago
Quoted from radial_head:

Well finished up the shop on this one. Made it hard. Put TOTAN posts around Big Fatso to make that shot a little harder. Took the center post out. Put in Sys1 coil stops on the flippers (which is an aboslute must for all my Sys3 DMD games now). Really fun to shooting layout! Still figuring out what the semblance of rules look like.
A few small things. Should the auto fire launcher make it up the rear ramp or should it fail to make it that far up and just get kicked out of the right hole?
Nothing reports stuck in switch test but something is making the "SHQURUUUUUUUSHOWS" rocket launcher sound (at least I'm ASSUMING that's whta that is) go off a lot. Any ideas?[quoted image]

The game looks great. Auto launch fails to make it up the ramp by design.

#134 7 months ago

The game looks great. Auto launch fails to make it up the ramp by design.

It's not the prettiest of the bunch for sure, but the NOS ramps and subways really makes it... tolerable!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 134 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.