Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 83 posts
  • 51 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by JY64
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

5D1163AB-449B-42EE-8A20-97C9456F702E (resized).jpeg
    wakkebrakke (resized).png
    pasted_image (resized).png
    There are 83 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
    #51 4 years ago
    Quoted from Pinball-is-great:

Hans,
    To meet demand, can't a certified medical equipment company (XYZ) subcontract work to a company such as Stern, provided that XYZ has Stern follow their certified quality work procedures & processes, and Stern employees receive necessary training, with monitored oversight by XYZ to ensure compliance? Seems like that could be done in a matter of weeks if necessary.

The main issue is Stern doesn't really Manufacture much in the building. They are an assembly company. Companies like Biomet, Zimmer, Paragon, etc actually manufacture the parts they sell. All of which is done in close to a sterile environment. Far from what a pinball factory looks like. I spend a Lot of time in the medical Manufacturing facilities and trust me the only thing Stern could produce is the welcome sign on the front door sorry.

#52 4 years ago
    Quoted from Yelobird:

I spend a Lot of time in the medical Manufacturing facilities and trust me the only thing Stern could produce is the welcome sign on the front door sorry.

And it would probably chip after the door opens and closes a few times.

Too soon?

#53 4 years ago

What is the acceptable amount of dimpling on a ventilator?

#54 4 years ago

Further, I would think when dealing with potentially life saving (or ending should the worst occur) medical equipment, things are just a 'bit' more stringent?

#55 4 years ago
    Quoted from Oaken:

And it would probably chip after the door opens and closes a few times.
    Too soon?

Ok that is just flat out Funny! Needed a laugh today thanks lol.

#56 4 years ago

I would guess there are Stern people working from home, but the factory will be closed within days if it isn't already. If they had a union it would be closed by now, but the line workers are all temps.

#57 4 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I would guess there are Stern people working from home, but the factory will be closed within days if it isn't already. If they had a union it would be closed by now, but the line workers are all temps.

If they had a union games would also cost 80k. lol

#58 4 years ago
    Quoted from Pinball-is-great:

Hans,
    To meet demand, can't a certified medical equipment company (XYZ) subcontract work to a company such as Stern, provided that XYZ has Stern follow their certified quality work procedures & processes, and Stern employees receive necessary training, with monitored oversight by XYZ to ensure compliance? Seems like that could be done in a matter of weeks if necessary.

Theoretically, yes, assuming Stern has/had the proper quality management systems (QMS) in place for tracking of their product and supply chains. It's just not a quick and easy thing to get that handled. If they already had an ISO framework in place at any level, it would be a lot easier, but I don't believe they have that level of standardization in their production systems. It's an extremely tightly controlled method of building things. This is just for the LEAST stringent level of assembly work, not the kinds of things you'll see in an ICU or operating room. We're talking simple stuff here like blanket warmers and centrifuges. Urgent needs right now like ventilators are going to need proper certification. And implantable devices? Those require a cleanliness very similar to semiconductor work, which is bunny suit and glove boxes kind of stuff.

The biggest hurdle I could see Stern having is putting a system in place for handling corrective actions/preventive actions. They primarily handle consumer goods, and wouldn't be ready for the level of scrutiny. For medical devices at that level you'll see an extensive root-cause analysis for every single failure.

Even then, electronics and plastics tend to see 8-16 week lead times for components easily, for production quantities. If they made the commitment today, it would still be 6 months until they'd be kicking the first samples out the door.

-Hans

#59 4 years ago

Serious question. Did anyone ever find out for sure if the Stern factory is shut down?

#60 4 years ago

I heard they have slowed down but where still making games, getting my jurassic park premium tommorrow so someone is working there.

#61 4 years ago
    Quoted from John_I:

Serious question. Did anyone ever find out for sure if the Stern factory is shut down?

According to TWIP both Stern and American are shut down from assembling games

https://www.thisweekinpinball.com/this-week-in-pinball-march-23rd-2020/

Spooky was also shut down today although I believe Chuck's family can still work to get the new factory setup.

#62 4 years ago
    Quoted from Yelobird:

If they had a union games would also cost 80k. lol

When Bally, Williams were in Chicago, their machines were Union Made. They were priced competitively.

Not sure aboot Chicago Coin or Gottlieb.....

#63 4 years ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

When Bally, Williams were in Chicago, their machines were Union Made. They were priced competitively.
    Not sure aboot Chicago Coin or Gottlieb.....

Love buying old Bally games with the union sticker on the top arch.

#64 4 years ago
    Quoted from John_I:

It’s shut down according to their phone number

#65 4 years ago

TO OUR VALUED CUSTOMERS AND SUPPLIERS:

In response to the COVID-19 Coronavirus pandemic, Illinois Governor J. B. Pritzker has announced a “stay at home” order for the entire State of Illinois, which will take effect at 5pm on Saturday, March 21, 2020. Being located in Illinois, Stern Pinball is subject to this order. As a result, much of our normal operations will be suspended as of the order’s effective time. Production and Receiving will be closed from the order’s effective date.

We have arranged for many of our employees to work from home. Included are much of our Product Development, Technical Service, Sales/Marketing, and Accounting staff.

We will continue to provide updates based on developments pertaining to the “stay at home” order. We look forward to getting back to complete operations as soon as possible.

We hope all of you are safe and well.

Sincerely,

Gary

Gary Stern
    President
    Stern Pinball, Inc.
    2001 Lunt Avenue
    Elk Grove Village, IL 60007-5605 USA

#66 4 years ago

Chicago games note too...

5D1163AB-449B-42EE-8A20-97C9456F702E (resized).jpeg5D1163AB-449B-42EE-8A20-97C9456F702E (resized).jpeg
    #67 4 years ago

They copied Stern’s letter and changed a few things.

Can’t say I blame ‘em. Seems like every Covid-19 corporate email I get is written by the same person.

#68 4 years ago
    Quoted from yancy:

Seems like every Covid-19 corporate email I get is written by the same person.

There is a standard form with "insert your company name here" in various places.

#69 4 years ago
    Quoted from yancy:

Well their entire business is centered around copying old games and changing a few things so...

#70 4 years ago
    Quoted from yancy:

Seems like every Covid-19 corporate email I get is written by the same person.

This. Over the last month, basically every business who has my e mail address has sent me their speech on the virus....

With the exception of my employer, bank, who I have my mortgage with, I just delete them as fast as they can send them.

#71 4 years ago

Too bad it isn't like Md. Non-essential are only closed to the public. They recommend work from home but employees can still work on-site. If over 10 employees, they just recommend keeping distance.

#72 4 years ago

There’s no way to safely run a pinball production line right now safely. It’s a good thing the line has stopped for now.

Sounds like work is still being done at home.

#73 4 years ago
    Quoted from gliebig:

Too bad it isn't like Md. Non-essential are only closed to the public. They recommend work from home but employees can still work on-site. If over 10 employees, they just recommend keeping distance.

Maryland's idea is terrible. When you have community spread, 6' in the workplace doesn't mean jack shit.

#74 4 years ago

Maybe Sterns next game will actually release with complete code due to all this at home work?

#75 4 years ago
    Quoted from libtech:

Maybe Sterns next game will actually release with complete code due to all this at home work?

I'm curious about that too. Presumably the software guys need a machine at home to work on, which is not as easy as bringing a laptop home. Stern promised some code updates this month to recent games in the last SOTU, so I'm wondering if they are going to deliver on that still?

#76 4 years ago

A final code update for ACDC would be nice to see during this downtime!

#77 4 years ago
    Quoted from MikeS:

Yes please... Finish the masterpiece!

#78 4 years ago
    Quoted from JodyG:

Maryland's idea is terrible. When you have community spread, 6' in the workplace doesn't mean jack shit.

Agreed. It's pretty useless.

#79 4 years ago
    Quoted from MikeS:

Would be lovely to see Oi Mania fixed

#80 4 years ago
    Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

I'm curious about that too. Presumably the software guys need a machine at home to work on, which is not as easy as bringing a laptop home. Stern promised some code updates this month to recent games in the last SOTU, so I'm wondering if they are going to deliver on that still?

Machines in development were brought home at the end of last week. I don't know which ones.

#81 4 years ago
    Quoted from RockfordReplay:

Machines in development were brought home at the end of last week. I don't know which ones.

That news makes me super happy. Cool.

4 months later
    #82 3 years ago

Well it has been quite some time now and even though I really do not like the theme at if it was not for TMNT there would be little to talk about

#83 3 years ago
    Quoted from libtech:

Sence your post Elvira .98 Stranger things .97 and JP 1.02

There are 83 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/closing-the-factory/page/2?hl=daveyvandy and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.