• 6 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 66 days ago by Tuukka
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 67 days ago

Hi All, Ok not sure where to from here.
My close encounters plays without issue until the game is over and it's time to remember/display the high score.
The high display score in the backboard lights but none of the displays show anything at all.
I have had the main board fully checked under load and there is no issue with it at all (New battery as well), and in fact on the test machine the high scores display worked as intended.

So thoughts on where to next?
Thanks in advance.

#2 67 days ago

My first suspicion is a setting that tells the game not to display them. Too bad Gottlieb documentation isn't freely available or I'd look it up and check for you.

#3 67 days ago

First, reset all the bookkeeping data (use the front door button to select, reset button on MPU board to clear, front door button again to store). It is important to clear and store settings even if they look OK.

Then check that you have DIP switches 21 and 22 set ON. (21 for showing the high score to date, 22 for awarding replays)

After that, set desired replay levels.

#4 66 days ago

Thx for the prompt reply's and I will investigate these suggestions.
After reading the replies, I'm not sure if I included some details. The high scores were displaying then one day I noticed that they were not anymore. I don't believe any dip switch settings could have been changed as I have the key? But who knows. Secondly when tested by a very knowledgeable person on a Gottlieb actual test machine (Not sure what else to call it) The CPU was working fine like I have said and the High Scores were displaying on the testing equipment. It was only when I got the board back and into the machine that the same problem occurred.
Will add results after looking over the dips etc.
Cheers

#5 66 days ago

Ok so I followed your advice as well as http://www.pinrepair.com/sys1/ info on clearing the audit's and am pleased to say it's sorted. Not sure why it stopped in the first place, but glad that it's now fully working. Thanks guys, your assistance is appreciated.
Now to work out how to stop credit's for high score lol and to set the machine on free play?

#6 66 days ago

There is no freeplay setting on System 1 games. You can set the replay score to 10.000 and always have credits. Or, add a wire from start button to one of the coin switches, it will then give a credit and start game when you push start. From pinrepair.com:

Modifying the Switch Diode Strip.
This modification and pictures are thanks to PaPinball.com. By far this is the easiest way to add "free play" to a Gottlieb System1 game. Just solder a wire from the coin door credit button wire to any of the coin switch wires. This is done easiest at the diode strip in the bottom cabinet. Make certain that the diode, credit button wire, and coin switch wire are still soldered securely to the diode strip terminal when finished. If soldering is not an option, use a small alligator clip test lead. Now when the coin door start button is pressed, a credit will be incremented, and then decremented (because a game is started.) Now a game can be easily started without the need to open the coin door to trip the coin switches.

Gottlieb System1 Bottom Board Diode Strip Wires:
Credit button wire: Green-White or Brown-Yellow-Yellow
Connect to any of the wires below at the diode terminal strip -
1st coin switch wire: Orange-White or Brown-Red-Red
2nd coin switch wire: Brown-White or Brown-Orange-Orange

To stop awarding credits at high score, turn switch 22 off. And to disable replays, set all 3 replay levels to 0. Switch 10 turns match feature off and switch 11 changes Special award to extra ball. You can also opt to disable credit display, that is done by switch 13.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside