48385500_2291332590910935_6779409008320053248_n (resized).jpg
20170712_234417 (resized).jpg
20170712_234508 (resized).jpg
11146100_943613355695764_657397842255861824_o (resized).jpg
IMG_0151 (resized).JPG
20161217_165301 (resized).jpg
20161217_155632 (resized).jpg
20161217_155617 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider thatonedude.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#64 6 years ago

I am currently helping a high school engineering class rebuild a Firepower home edition. They are using an Arduino Mega to scan switches and fire the solenoids, while feeding events over a serial connection to the Pi to trigger audio/video.
Did you find I2C sufficiently fast to pass events?

1 week later
#67 6 years ago

Thanks for the (admittedly offtopic) advice! I will start a post with the school project once they've made sufficient progress!

1 month later
#76 6 years ago

RE: Arduino speed and loops
Here's some interesting reading material.
http://www.paleotechnologist.net/?p=1808
http://www.instructables.com/id/Arduino-is-Slow-and-how-to-fix-it/

Also, a shoutout to Hugh for his help with the power filter. I made a simplified version for the demo I built for the kids, and it worked great(I cleaned out the capacitors at a Radio Shack that was going out of business). I'm now working on the MPF platform. A bit of a slow go, since there is no docs. My approach was to figure out what the minimal platform code would be(init serial, send/receive messages), and get that working before fleshing out the full message protocol.

#79 6 years ago
Quoted from legtod2:

How is your project coming along ?

Slowly. We are in the midst of a move, so all of my projects got packed up. Happily, we're moving to a bigger place, so once the chaos is finished, it should be more conducive to experiments.
In the meantime, I'm slowly working on getting the Mega and my mac to talk via MPF. For the hardware side, I built a simplified driver and power filter system and a little flipper and bumper demo for the kids. We are still trying to get time in the school shop.

#82 6 years ago
Quoted from legtod2:

Have to consider the waf (wife acceptance factor).

That is 100% the truth

Quoted from openpinballproj:

By switching from Arduino methods to C, all of the speed can be regained?

Yeah, I think you can get pretty close to the bare metal by ditching the Arduino libraries. Sketches are just C code that is hiding some stuff for simplicity. I imagine that someone is working on a "real time optimized" version of the core Arduino libraries.
For my project, given the scope, I think that spot fixes, like replacing the digitalWrite calls, is likely good enough, and keeps enough of the Arduino libraries to ease the kids into it.

1 week later
#89 6 years ago

Well, due to a change in security at the high school, the original project pin(a home edition Fireball) is being relocated to my workshop, so I expect real world testing to expedite the code I'm working on.
I'm also going to write a cut down version of the Arduino code to work with an Uno or Micro, for use with the Zizzle machine I donated.

#91 6 years ago

I'll take some shots this afternoon.

#92 6 years ago

Ok, had a chance to go through the strip down that the kids did while it was at the school.
One flipper coil was cooked. A new one is on order.
Swapping lights out for neopixels.
The playfield has some damage to the particle board. Debating on a fix there. I'm inclined to grind out damage, fill with putty, sand down the whole playfield, add a custom piece of vinyl artwork and cover it over with a playfield protector. But, if I'm not going to do the retheme, I might just leave it ugly and let the kids do a theme next year.
No back box. Building a new one
Don't trust the power supply. Replacing with my switched 24v and a power filter board.
I think I'm going to leave the switches alone and attached to the big circuit boards instead of mounting on the bottom of the board.
So, first order of business is to finish the solenoid driver code and the switch matrix.

20170712_234508 (resized).jpg20170712_234508 (resized).jpg

20170712_234417 (resized).jpg20170712_234417 (resized).jpg

11 months later
#97 5 years ago

Nicely done!
Are you releasing your code anywhere?

1 month later
#105 5 years ago

I generally go with a beefy switching PS for the solenoids, coupled with an OPP power filter board to add capacitance. Then, an ATX PS for the logic side. However, I also have a project coming up with a DMD at 12V, so I will either need to add a 12V supply for it or add capacitance to the 12V rail from the ATX.

#108 5 years ago

I'm not sure what the 12V DMD instantaneous change in current is, but my guess is it will work without a problem without extra power filtering

I was running straight off of the 12V rail with my tests, and I would occasionally trip the PS breaker and have to do a reset on the PS. This generally happened on frames with a lot of bright pixels, so I interpreted it as an instantaneous load issue. I tried multiple supplies, and saw it on both.

#110 5 years ago

Guess it means that you have to pony up the cost of more bulk filtering caps....Good information on the 12V DMDs.

Yeah, I was quite surprised by it. Initially, I thought I had fried the DMD somehow with a short. So, I grabbed a brand new, beefier PS that promptly did the same thing.

2 weeks later
#113 5 years ago
Quoted from legtod2:

Good old PC power supplies, they do a great job on the 5 volt logic side.

I agree. I lucked into a free case of Antec ATX supplies a few years ago, and I've still got a pile of them. Aside from the DMD, they work great.

#114 5 years ago

You might be able to use something like this to turn the AC to the transformer on/off

I just ordered a hand full to test.

6 months later
#124 5 years ago

I opted for a Teensy 3.5 for my main controller, and I designed some i2c i/o boards to go with it. It was my first PCB, so I made some mistakes, but they work. I chose the 3.5 because it is 5V tolerant, it had 3 i2c busses and runs fast. I can run 24 of these boards from it, which comes out to 384 direct I/O ports or 1536 ports in a matrix form. That's enough switches and drivers for just about any configuration I can think of.
I also started thinking about boards to support slower Arduino forms, so I'm working on some secondary boards as well that can take some of the processing load from the main controller and reduce latency.

48385500_2291332590910935_6779409008320053248_n (resized).jpg48385500_2291332590910935_6779409008320053248_n (resized).jpg
#125 5 years ago

Also, for a sister project, I got pinmame running on a Pi and drawing to a physical DMD. Running X, it is a little slow, so I'm rearchitecting my pinmame hack and working to minimize the load on the Pi, so that it can run pinmame at full speed. My first experiment was getting a Scared Stiff ROM to draw. I have some video of before I cleaned up the signal. I need to make a new one. This one also uses the Teensy based system I'm working on.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 7.50
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider thatonedude.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/close-encounters-arduino-conversion?tu=thatonedude and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.