Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

25.jpg
#1 8 years ago

I have wondered how to duplicate the Stern Kiss SD card in my pinball machine for backup purposes. I have figured it out using a software called HDD Raw Copy that duplicates all files creating an image to a destination file.

Blog : https://pinballsupernova.wordpress.com/2015/10/26/pinball-tech-repair-cloning-duplicating-stern-spike-sd-card-on-newer-stern-pinball-machines/

Video :

25.jpg25.jpg

#2 8 years ago

Good information. Did you mention what size sd card you should use and is there any concerns about speed/brand of SD card?

The image files this program creates would be a good method to transfer the new pinball software with since it clones everything including file system type, which may be important for compatibility in the pinball machine.

#3 8 years ago
Quoted from barakandl:

Good information. Did you mention what size sd card you should use and is there any concerns about speed/brand of SD card?
The image files this program creates would be a good method to transfer the new pinball software with since it clones everything including file system type, which may be important for compatibility in the pinball machine.

I am using a Kingston 8GB card as the replacement. I believe in the video you can see what card type and size when its held up to the camera. The card taken out of the machine is a Kingston 4GB card. I didn't want to switch brands because the prior card that Stern used had issues with the Spike system board. It seems that the Kingston brand works with the board. Thanks for asking, I should have stated that in the post.

#4 8 years ago

Playing around a while back, I cloned a Whoa Nellie card using HDD Raw Copy as well. My Pin LED clock gave me the idea to try and use it.

1 year later
#5 6 years ago

Hello,
Tried with Aerosmith. I can not get it to work. Image is on the new SD card, card shows as stern boot. Matches bite size.
OE card is Lexar 16GB. Cards I got before getting AS are Kingston 8GB. The file is something like 56 mb. Pin just sits with lights on boards in back box lit and never boots. Help appreciated. Would like to get backups made.
Thank You

#6 6 years ago

I used this tool to create a binary of an sd card and create duplicates for our non-stern game. You might want to give this a try.

https://sourceforge.net/projects/win32diskimager/?source=navbar

#7 6 years ago

Thank You
Does exact same as HDD rawcopy portable. Does not work.

#8 6 years ago

Are you sure it is grabbing all partitions?

#9 6 years ago

I am not sure. I am old and not computer savy. Followed directions in the Kiss thread. Was before AS was out. There are a few selections *.*, image, compressed.
Have tried image and this copies everything as a image. compressed copies but want a title and file selections. Have not tried *.* because I think that is just the files. Am wondering if something else was added as protection since Kiss instructions posted and AS came out.

#10 6 years ago
Quoted from alimerick:

I am not sure. I am old and not computer savy. Followed directions in the Kiss thread. Was before AS was out. There are a few selections *.*, image, compressed.
Have tried image and this copies everything as a image. compressed copies but want a title and file selections. Have not tried *.* because I think that is just the files. Am wondering if something else was added as protection since Kiss instructions posted and AS came out.

It works on my Ghostbusters and img is what you want. The other options are just for the file format it saves in. Shouldn't matter as long as you select the right one later to restore.

I use a program called Win32 Disk Imager for everything.

#11 6 years ago

Tried both programs. I am using Kingston 8GB cards which I got after reading Kiss thread and before AS. AS uses 16GB lexar card.
When trying to copy image from computer to 8GB card it stops at the same place about half way through with LBA error?
Looking the exact 16 GB lexar cards are not for sale that I can find. What would work ? Would a Kingston 16GB work?

#12 6 years ago
Quoted from alimerick:

Tried both programs. I am using Kingston 8GB cards which I got after reading Kiss thread and before AS. AS uses 16GB lexar card.
When trying to copy image from computer to 8GB card it stops at the same place about half way through with LBA error?
Looking the exact 16 GB lexar cards are not for sale that I can find. What would work ? Would a Kingston 16GB work?

Ahhh your issue could be you are trying to put an image larger than 8gb on an 8gb card. You should try a 16gb card for sure. One problem is that not all card sizes are equal and sometimes even a 16 won't fit on another 16. I've learned that after a lot of raspberry pi imaging.

If you don't know how to shrink an image and can't find the exact same size / brand I recommend grabbing a 32gb card. On amazon they are about $13.

#13 6 years ago

Ok.
Image being copied shows as something like 510 MB. Ordered 3 scandisk 32 gb class 4. Closest match I can find.
This worries me for the future of games booting off an SD card.

#14 6 years ago
Quoted from alimerick:

Ok.
Image being copied shows as something like 510 MB. Ordered 3 scandisk 32 gb class 4. Closest match I can find.
This worries me for the future of games booting off an SD card.

Keep in mind the image size (510mb) is compressed. When it is imaged over it is forced to the size of the card it was compressed from. So unless you reduce the partition that 510mb is still looking to be placed onto a 16gb space.

I wouldn't worry. Either the card works or it doesn't. You shouldn't have any long term issues unless the card physically fails which is possible of any media and why you are doing the backup!

#15 6 years ago

Thank You for your help and patients. Will give it another go when cards arrive.

#16 6 years ago

32 GB scan disk class 4 SD cards arrived. Tried one and this worked.
Thank You

#17 6 years ago
Quoted from alimerick:

32 GB scan disk class 4 SD cards arrived. Tried one and this worked.
Thank You

Awesome glad to hear it!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Brighton, CO
$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 22.50
$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 39.00
Cabinet - Other
Arcade Upkeep

$ 29.95
$ 24.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cloning-duplicating-stern-spike-sd-card-on-newer-stern-pinball and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.