(Topic ID: 143261)

TZ Clock Is FIXED - another INGO clock success!

By gac

4 years ago

Topic Stats

• 29 posts
  • 12 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by PAPinballer
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

#1 4 years ago

I know... another TZ clock is broken post. My situation might be slightly different though. A couple years ago, I replaced the scorched original boards with the rottendog board. It never fixed the problem and I've just been living with it. I find it hard to believe that there is a problem with the rottendog board so I'm wondering what else could cause the clock to not function properly. If I didn't put the clock back together correctly (not aligning the pin/minute hand, etc) could this be the problem or is it more likely to be something else? Thanks in advance for any help.

#2 4 years ago

Not assembling it with the gears lined up COULD cause an issue. Depends on how badly they're misaligned!

What do you get in test mode?

#3 4 years ago

I'm not near the machine at the moment. I will have to look at it tonite. I find it difficult when I do run the test to figure out what isnt right as I dont know what "right" should look like. Does that make any sense?

#4 4 years ago

Have you manually tested each opto in the clock?

#5 4 years ago

When turned on, the clock will turn for a short period and then randomly stop. If I remember correctly, when I did put it in test mode, it would turn in either direction selected and at the different speeds but it would not recognize all of the hours as it turned. Seems like an opto thing but I wouldnt think that would be the case with a new board. Are these boards ever not good "out of the box"?

#6 4 years ago

Hi LilRocky - how would I test each opto other than running through test mode? Please excuse my ignorance with this situation.

#7 4 years ago

Hi Coyote - I'd have to disassemble to see but I cant imagine I misaligned them terribly when I put the clock back together. It seems like they turn fine in test mode but that it's more of an opto issue. It least that's what I'm thinking FWIW.

#8 4 years ago

Go into the setup, and there is a whole test for just the clock. IIRC, there is a box for when each opto trips as the hands go through it. As long as your motor and gears or working, I'd start in that test mode.

Quoted from gac:

Hi LilRocky - how would I test each opto other than running through test mode? Please excuse my ignorance with this situation.

#9 4 years ago

Hi jalpert - The motor and gears are working as I can run the test. From what I recall, it would trip the optos most of the time but not every time. Almost an intermittent problem in test mode. Seems more and more like an opto issue but hard to believe that with a new board... or is my thinking flawed?

#10 4 years ago
Quoted from gac:

Hi jalpert - The motor and gears are working as I can run the test. From what I recall, it would trip the optos most of the time but not every time. Almost an intermittent problem in test mode. Seems more and more like an opto issue but hard to believe that with a new board... or is my thinking flawed?

The clock second hand is probably not going thru/breaking the optos,Try adding some electric tape around the small piece of plastic that goes thru the opto

#11 4 years ago

Hi Cycloneman - interesting. Have you ever experienced this and this fixed the problem? Thanks

#12 4 years ago

This is something you should physically be able to see. Not that it matters, but I've never heard of this. Of course it's a problem if the hands aren't going through the optos, but that means something else is wrong and I'm not sure tape is the fix.

Quoted from Cycloneman:

Try adding some electric tape around the small piece of plastic that goes thru the opto

#13 4 years ago

Intermittent issues could be a connector, or the pins on the board. I don't suspect the pins as much because you said the board was replaced, take a good look at the connector. Wiggle the wires and test for continuity, see if you have a flaky connector.

(the connector that plugs into the clock board)

Quoted from gac:

Almost an intermittent problem in test mode.

#14 4 years ago

Thanks jalpert. Do you know offhand where the other end of the connector (not the plug on the clock board) connects? Maybe a pin issue there?

#15 4 years ago

You likely gave a bad opto, intermittent registering in test mode is a clear symptom. The only clock board that has consistently proved reliable is Ingos. Rottendog is not reliable.

The only other thing to check is your minute hand and whether it's set properly.

If I were you, I'd bite the bullet and get the German board, and save yourself a lot of headaches.

#16 4 years ago

Do you have the manual. Check that the black circle hour opto disc is not upside down.
I did that once. It made the clock stop working during modes when the clock ran backwards.

#17 4 years ago

I don't, but I just got TZ again I could check.

Quoted from gac:

Do you know offhand

This board, that board, this is why I almost never recommend people replace boards. Sure, if batteries take out 1/2 a CPU board replace it, but this stuff is almost always so fixable, it keeps it original, and it saves money to fix.

Quoted from Lermods:

Rottendog is not reliable.

#18 4 years ago

Rebuilt OEM boards several times. Finally bought the Rottendog board - then kept getting the broken clock errors - returned 2 of them and finally bought Ingos board over a year ago. Not a single issue since. And my wife loves the color changing LEDs.

#19 4 years ago
Quoted from gac:

Thanks jalpert. Do you know offhand where the other end of the connector (not the plug on the clock board) connects? Maybe a pin issue there?

It's most likely an opto issue and not a connector issue. Take apart the clock and only plug in the opto boards, don't worry about the motors being plugged in as we know that works fine. I'm pretty sure you can go into the regular switch matrix for these optos to appear. Now just sit back without moving anything on the machine and keep an eye on the matrix. What will probably happen over time is you will hear random beeps and see various blocks on the matrix go in and out. These are your faulty optos. Since the boards are already out, take a look at the back of the intermittent optos and make sure you've got no holes or noticeable issues with the solder spots. If that's all good, I, personally, would just replace any of the bad optos, but if you'd rather not get involved with soldering, see if you can return the RottenDog board with the faulty optos (they may have a warranty on these, but I'm unsure). I'm going to assume that only one board is the culprit for your faulty optos. If both boards have faulty optos and both boards are new, then RottenDog definitely got in a bad batch of optos or there could be an over voltage/grounding issue which is blowing your optos. I've worked on at least 10 TZs (mainly ones that are still being routed) and any boards that were completely fried beyond reasonable repair, I've replaced with RottenDogs and they still work to this day.

#20 4 years ago

I'm an idiot. Disregard that part about blocking optos. Totally not thinking straight about that.

#21 4 years ago

LilRocky - If I remember correctly (I have not looked at it in a long time) the rottendog replacement is a single board. As I mentioned above, I bought this board several years ago. I'm sure it is beyond any warranty. Just hard to believe that a new board could be bad from the start. I always assumed it was a different problem (and maybe it is). Interesting, however, that two fellow pinsiders (lermods and jenk) have indicated having problems with rottendog clock boards. I've heard rumors of other types of rottendog board problems and have had my own personal experience with a troublesome rottendog driver board that I had bought years ago for a DE machine. I need to take a look at the clock but it seems like the Ingo board may be the least aggravating way to go. Unfortunately, the price has gone up and it is expensive to ship.

#22 4 years ago

Heat kills the boards. Ingos board doesn't generate as much heat. You might see some clock housings with holes drilled, thAt is done to dissipate heat. Ingos board is also noticebly constructed better. It's $130 for Ingos board, but it really is worth it and you'll never have to worry about the clock again.

#23 4 years ago
Quoted from Cycloneman:

The clock second hand is probably not going thru/breaking the optos,Try adding some electric tape around the small piece of plastic that goes thru the opto

If you replaced the boards, and the opto's are "acting" intermittent, then look at the hour and minute hands. The poor tolerance in the shaft, along with the plastic hands bending outward from the heat causes the plastic tab at the back of the hands to not pass through the optos. Once a hand misses one opto, the clock is marked broken....

You need to make sure the optos are being broken by the minute hand, and that when you put the clock back together it's not 30 minutes out of sync....

These are most likely your issues. Prove it by taking a credit card and breaking each opto by hand in clock test, if the break is rock solid with the credit card in the opto, then you know it's the hands. Use the test to move the clock slow and get the minute hand to each quarter hour, when it's in the opto, stop the motor, and wiggle the hand, I bet you find there's enough play that the opto flutters...

#24 4 years ago

I just ran the clock thru test mode and it seems like the opto at "30 minute" location does not work. It may have recognized the minute hand once or twice in probably 25 rotations. The plastic tab on the minute hand seems to pass through it exactly as it does through the others so I don't think its a misalignment issue with the hand. I think its a bad opto on this rottendog board.

#25 4 years ago

I have a box of original clock parts I'd sell pretty cheap if anyone wanted. There were 2 complete boards. I got one working mostly and then decided to get a new board and then sold the game. PM me if you are interested.

#26 4 years ago

Just throwing this out there as I had that problem and never got it resolved after dealing with it for about 3 years. I remember reading that others put electrical tape on the tab part of the clock hand to extend it "deeper" into the opto which would help interrupt it. Seemed to work for some people so I just wanted to share.

3 weeks later
#27 3 years ago

Just wanted to update everyone... I replaced my board with Ingo's and it is FIXED. He gave me a great deal and shipped it out fast! I'm so happy to no longer have the credit dot and the "Clock Is Broken" test report on my TZ. Ingo is the man!

#28 3 years ago

Congrats! Ingos board solves most clock problems. The other boards, no matter how new, just don't stack up.

10 months later
#29 3 years ago

I wanted to take the time to recognize Ingo for what he had done for me. But before I do I should mention that there’s nothing in this for me, except for maybe a shameless plug for my store

The tl;dr version…Ingo is a generous and great guy with whom you should deal with confidence, yada yada yada

The long rambling version…The clock on my recently purchased TZ had started acting up. Searching through the forum I’d found that there was a permanent solution for the problem, that being Ingo’s clock board. I also saw the special offer he had made available to the Pinsiders about a year ago.

I PM’d him and asked if he would honor last year’s prices and he graciously agreed to extend the offer to me. He was under absolutely NO obligation to honor the prices from a year ago. You may be thinking "yeah but he was bound to make money anyways even based on last year’s prices" and my response to that is I made it perfectly clear to him that it would not be a problem if I could not buy the board at the price advertised last year. I would still buy it at the regular price. Based on my comment, he could’ve decided to be greedy and expect me to pay the regular price thus making even more money but he chose the high road.

Although I’m sure he doesn’t need it, I wanted to put in a good word for him. ( Insert shameless plug ) As an Etsy store owner I understand how far good words and positive feedback go. I also wanted to bring to attention a good person among the questionable people and sellers that I’d heard and read about on this forum.

Kudos, Ingo!

PS - I have not been able to install the clock board because my wife made me pack up my machines a couple of weeks ago so that I could get started on the renovations to the game room But I am confident that, when I do finally install it, should there be any problems with the board, Ingo will be more than willing to help me out. Heck, based on what I’ve read on the forums I know even a lot of you Pinsiders would be kind enough to help me out!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside