Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 41 posts
  • 18 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by radium
  • Topic is favorited by 11 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

KISS Disc motor mylar decal (resized).jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_0225 (resized).jpg
    image (resized).jpeg
    image (resized).jpeg
    image (resized).jpeg
    image (resized).jpeg
    IMG_6693 (resized).JPG
    IMG_5095 (resized).JPG
    0fbc65cf-8f51-4c9f-aad6-c7cbc1107116_1.bb5ec6f9254d7acca939b77f80f6f9d0 (resized).jpeg
    #1 6 years ago

I'm looking for a couple sheets or roll of cling Mylar, but cannot find a source.

I have a roll of the more permanent sticky-backed stuff; I'm not looking for that. Similar to the die-cut flipper button protectors I bought from Titan in the past. Just need in plain sheet or roll.

Any suggestions? Checked Amazon, but not quite sure how to describe/search.

Thx

#2 6 years ago

Ok, I maybe I'm looking for "Cling Vinyl"?

#4 6 years ago
    Quoted from markp99:

Ok, I maybe I'm looking for "Cling Vinyl"?

This is how I bought 12 sheets 8.5x11 off Amazon. I just checked my order from last year and the item I bought was unavailable but maybe other sellers have it? It is called cling vinyl.

#7 6 years ago

This is where I got my roll:
    http://www.pinrestore.com/

Plus he charges you a flat rate for shipping but refunds you the difference of actual shipping cost. Pretty cool!

EDIT: read that you were looking for "cling" stuff, not sticky back stuff

#8 6 years ago
    Quoted from spfxted:

amazon.com link »

That looks like what I want. Not a huge investment if wrong.

Thanks!

#9 6 years ago

Sure! I'm going to try some myself!

#10 6 years ago

This sounds like a nice alternative to using the sticky kind. What are the drawbacks? I've used screen protectors instead of Mylar before and they seem to work great when applied well.

#11 6 years ago

Drawbacks are they come up a little easier. I've had them come up in my shooter lane (usually they come up after 5 games or stay down until I take them up).

This stuff does a beautiful job in areas like ball lane guides and areas where you get dirty trails and wear.

Is it overkill? Probably. It makes me feel better though. Lol.

#12 6 years ago

Cling vinyl by Grafix they Ted put up link to.

Works great in high traffic areas on PF and drops

I use the self adhesive felt from Hobby Lobby for shooter lane

Works awesome! For $1.50 a sheet you can protect as many pins as you own

Better protection, stays down, doesn't get dirty and comes up easy when you want to change it out. I've changed out colors, otherwise it will last a long time

#13 6 years ago
    Quoted from spfxted:

amazon.com link »

I've been using this for some time to avoid in/out lane marks. Works great, comes right off when you want.

#14 6 years ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

I use the self adhesive felt from Hobby Lobby for shooter lane

Any pics of how the felt looks installed?

#15 6 years ago
    Quoted from BoJo:

Any pics of how the felt looks installed?

I'll post some pics manana. Looks ok, but you can cut it to whatever size and shape you like and you don't notice it one bit while playing.

Super thin yet perfect cushioning/protection. Gonna try on some scoops like AS next.

#16 6 years ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

I'll post some pics manana. Looks ok, but you can cut it to whatever size and shape you like and you don't notice it one bit while playing.
    Super thin yet perfect cushioning/protection. Gonna try on some scoops like AS next.

Thanks. I seen mylar in the shooter but never felt so that is why I was curious how it looked. I'm surprised the felt doesn't breakdown or shed all over the playfield overtime.

#17 6 years ago
    Quoted from BoJo:

Thanks. I seen mylar in the shooter but never felt so that is why I was curious how it looked. I'm surprised the felt doesn't breakdown or shed all over the playfield overtime.

Very thin and tight. No shedding whatsoever. Michael's sells the same sheets too.

#18 6 years ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

Very thin and tight. No shedding whatsoever. Michael's sells the same sheets too.

Giggidy.

#19 6 years ago

Just ordered a bunch from Walmart!

#20 6 years ago

My vinyl clings from Amazon, as noted above, arrive tomorrow.

#21 6 years ago

The pack was $6.50 if I pick up in store....

#22 6 years ago

Damn, I paid $6.82.

#24 6 years ago
    Quoted from spfxted:

The pack was $6.50 if I pick up in store....

Quoted from markp99:

Damn, I paid $6.82.

And so long as he rode his bike there, he's coming out ahead financially!

#25 6 years ago

Hey, come on...it's only 40 miles away! Hah!...they thought they'd get me with the $3.00 shipping!!

#27 6 years ago

I used to use that myself.

Gets a little dirty in the shooter lane and pulled up some of the striping on my Ac/dc shooter lane when i went to change it out!

I'm telling you guys, this felt is awesome.

#29 6 years ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

I'm telling you guys, this felt is awesome

Quit telling and show us. I want to see what this fuzzy shooter lane looks like

#30 6 years ago
    Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Im using these:
    ebay.com link » Removable Clear Adhesive Vinyl New 30 Pcs 4 X 4 75 Bulk Pack

I got some of the removable also, works great!

#31 6 years ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

Pics or it's a lie.

#32 6 years ago

This is the stuff I got....

0fbc65cf-8f51-4c9f-aad6-c7cbc1107116_1.bb5ec6f9254d7acca939b77f80f6f9d0 (resized).jpeg0fbc65cf-8f51-4c9f-aad6-c7cbc1107116_1.bb5ec6f9254d7acca939b77f80f6f9d0 (resized).jpeg

#33 6 years ago
    Quoted from spfxted:

This is the stuff I got....

I got the same stuff just now in my mailbox. Pretty much what I was expecting - Ted, thanks for the link.

#34 6 years ago

My pleasure! Let us know how it works...

#35 6 years ago

If in a pinch you can buy this stuff by the sheet at the Office Depot print center. Just ask for it at the print desk. I've used it for making cabinet protectors on newly decaled cabinets. Cuts easily with a cricket cutting machine.

#36 6 years ago

I used cling vinyl around the start and flipper buttons of my TZ.

IMG_5095 (resized).JPGIMG_5095 (resized).JPG

IMG_6693 (resized).JPGIMG_6693 (resized).JPG

1 week later
    #37 6 years ago

So what is the consensus for the best and easy to install shooter lane protection? Pics of the shooter lanes of all 4 of my games below. Want to stop any further wear. I think the ones Art uses would work but curious to see the felt ones ice uses. Thanks. image (resized).jpegimage (resized).jpegimage (resized).jpegimage (resized).jpegimage (resized).jpegimage (resized).jpegimage (resized).jpegimage (resized).jpeg

#38 6 years ago

I tried a small piece of cling Vinyl in the shooter lane. Did not like the fit and slightly tactile feel, which lead me to think it might affect the ball when struck by the plunger. I removed the Vinyl and replaced with a similarly sized piece of adhesive backed Mylar. Mylar surface feels more slippery and matches what I have done on other machines with no noticeable effect.

I placed the Mylar patch just along the right half of the the shooter lane, up and over the ridge, opposite the ball trough exit. My GoT had developed a small chip in this same area where it continuously gets smacked by the ball. The chip has not gotten any larger, and the Mylar patch has not deteriorated at all.

Like shown above, I used the Cling Vinyl to protect the cabinet decals around the flipper buttons and start button.

Perfect.

#39 6 years ago

Do Nudies work on those machines?

2 months later
    #40 6 years ago

I use 3 Mil. Selfseal Laminating sheet for (shooter lane) since I discovered it in 2008 at anoffice store . I use it around (scoops). I use it to cover (decals) like on TOM 'Trap Door'. I used on Scared Stiff crate Decal . I have used it over (ghosting inserts) . I have used it on areas of (art) on a playfield that is starting to wear like the 'Fish' on Red and Teds Road Show . I have used it over (magnets).I have used it on my Avengers LE HULK (LED) Flasher reflector to hold Flasher from falling out. It is so clear that it is almost invisible. I have never used it for its intended purpose . Only pinball . I dub it "Miracle Mylar"
    https://www.officedepot.com/a/products/953053/Swingline-GBC-SelfSeal-Laminating-Sheets-3/

thumbnail_IMG_0225 (resized).jpgthumbnail_IMG_0225 (resized).jpg

KISS Disc motor mylar decal (resized).jpgKISS Disc motor mylar decal (resized).jpg

#41 6 years ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

I used to use that myself.
    Gets a little dirty in the shooter lane and pulled up some of the striping on my Ac/dc shooter lane when i went to change it out!

We're still waiting for pics iceman44 !

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cling-mylar-sources?hl=markp99 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.