(Topic ID: 39501)

Cliffy's or Self Adhesive Laminating strips........

By iceman44

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 44 posts
  • 12 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by flashburn
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

rt-side-eject.JPG
Rens-acdc-rtsideEJ1.JPG
#1 11 years ago

So I have Cliffy's for my Lotr le and have never put them on and there is zero wear after two years.....

I put some self adhesive strips on the shooter lane to protect from future wear....

Why not use those strips instead of the Cliffy?...Is the ball flow affected at all by the installation of those Clffys?

I know the old saying "an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure" and many of you guys will say just put the Clffys in .......

Has anyone not gone down that road and done something like this and been happy with it?

#2 11 years ago

Self adhesive strips? You mean mylar?

I've never used mylar on a kickout/scoop before... I don't think it would do much to prevent the kind of wear that cliffys are usually intended for. I would say though that the orthanc drop on LOTR doesn't really seem prone to heavy wear. I have seen the Gimli and shire completely CHEWED OUT though on a route pin. I'd still put it on *when it's convienient* to do so, but IMO, it's not really needed on Orthanc for home use. The Gimli I consider mandatory, same as the plastic protector for the shire. They're both way too close to the front and with balls coming in from both sides of the gimli hole, that sucker gets it double.

#3 11 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

The Gimli I consider mandatory, same as the plastic protector for the shire. They're both way too close to the front and with balls coming in from both sides of the gimli hole, that sucker gets it double.

Great advice...that Gimli gets hammered...I'll put that one in, the self laminating strips work the same as mylar and you can pick them up at Office Depot and appear a bit more "heavy duty"....

#4 11 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Great advice...that Gimli gets hammered...I'll put that one in, the self laminating strips work the same as mylar and you can pick them up at Office Depot and appear a bit more "heavy duty"....

Okay, I know what you're talking about now. I worked at an Office Max for a year, lol.

Interesting idea. You're probably going to get the same "ball travel" effects that a cliffy would add, because it's a lot thicker than a mylar, so no net benefit there.. I definitely wouldn't try it on anything without a modern clearcoat, and then, would still probably be a bit gunshy to ever try and remove it. I guess that's another bonus for the cliffy. They're sacrifical in nature, so even if they DO get damaged to the point where it's an issue, they're removable. Really, I think the only thing you'd be gaining in the end over the cliffy is visibility of the art, and the Cliffy doesn't cover all that much, especially like on the orthanc where it's got a margin of a black key line and wood around it.

#6 11 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

I definitely wouldn't try it on anything without a modern clearcoat, and then, would still probably be a bit gunshy to ever try and remove it.

You think ok for shooter lane kick out spot?

#7 11 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Probably, but I know a lot of people here are just using a slingshot half-moon mylar for that. I put one down in my Tron and it's barely noticeable. Probably going to do the same thing for my other games since all of them at this point have really nice PFs.

*edit* You know, if you can find a place under the apron that's got some art, like say the color screening test area, you could slap some down on there, leave it for a while, and then see how hard it is to get off...if you're really dead-set on using the self-laminating stuff.

#8 11 years ago

I cut out fake Mylar and put it in the entire shooter lane. It is completely invisible and protects shooter lanes with pin striping like SM.

#9 11 years ago

Mylar, or any clear sheet plastic won't protect from impact very long. Basically you're putting sheet plastic on top of painted plastic (clear coat). The impact point of a pinball is the size of a dull pencil so dimpling is inevitable. Extra clear plastic will kick the problem down the road a bit though

#10 11 years ago

What is fake Mylar?

#11 11 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Why not use those strips instead of the Cliffy?

...Is the ball flow affected at all by the installation of those Clffys?

Tons of W/B have mylar over ball inlane drops...and they're all dented now.

No effect...you never notice it. Just installed 2 on my Wh20 last night and played bunch of games...doesn't slow it down at all.

#12 11 years ago

Just put a cliffy in the neutral zone on Star Trek-such a simple idea-wish I thought of it. What is greatabout cliffys is the look and it covers up previous damage around the hole-snapped right in with no screws or adhesive. Those mylar strips sound interesting. Mabye would work for my Spiderman Doc Ock hole drop-I have a little wear and nobody sells protection for it. I found the little mylar circles for the Doc Ock magnet but not the hole? It is circular hole drop and it has started to chip. Any Ideas-what is that brand of strips they sell at Office Depot? Thanks

#13 11 years ago
Quoted from pinmister:

It is circular hole drop and it has started to chip. Any Ideas-what is that brand of strips they sell at Office Depot?

Get the Fellows brand "self laminating sheets"....card size or smaller...you can cut and tailor to your own specs.....they seem to work great so far and I'm doing the same thing with my Doc Ock....

Of course its the "cold" self laminating...as opposed to running it through the hot sealer....who knew!

#14 11 years ago
Quoted from pinmister:

Mabye would work for my spiderman Doc Ock hole drop-I have a little wear and nobody sells protection for it.

http://www.passionforpinball.com/Spiderman.htm

#15 11 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

First thing I do with a pin I get is cover a good portion of shooter lane with light adhesive vinyl adds some good protection IMO.

#16 11 years ago

Thanks cliffy-I looked everywhere-I will order Doc Ock and Sandman-which I did not even think of-Thanks again!

#17 11 years ago
Quoted from The_Dude_Abides:

light adhesive vinyl

Any particular vinyl Dude?

#18 11 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Yes Dude due tell I want to do this where due I get the vinyl also it is removable correct?

#19 11 years ago

Cliffy how about a magnet protector .. Vinyl or Mylar to go around the ock magnet on SM
Do you have?

#20 11 years ago
Quoted from Concretehardt:

Cliffy how about a magnet protector

Nothing yet I'm afraid. One big problem is mounting a protector there. Pretty much all I could use is the 3M adhesive tape. This is such an abused area it would likely pop loose in short order.
Another potential issue is how the stainless would affect the magnet pole. Stainless is not 100% non-magnetic. I do have an idea in my head for one, however. I just need to figure out how to implement it

#21 11 years ago
Quoted from Cliffy:

Pretty much all I could use is the 3M adhesive tape.

So I'm going to use the protector for Doc and Sandman.....what do you think about the 3M adhesive tape or the self laminating sheets for the shooter lane?

#22 11 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

what do you think about the 3M adhesive tape or the self laminating sheets for the shooter lane?

I'm not understanding why you would want to do that, Ice. You're willing to risk a $500 playfield by using a piece of tape to shield against a steel ball. So that's like, what, .05 cents worth of insurance? The cost of a piece of vinyl tape?

Or maybe $12 insurance, the cost of my stainless steel protector, is too high for you to truly protect that $500 playfield? I'm not gettin' it
http://www.passionforpinball.com/balleject/NM-SMeject2.jpg

#23 11 years ago

What I'd like to see is Stern use the little metal strips on every game like they did with Avatar LE. I realize they weren't put there for the purpose of protecting the shooter lane, but they sure do a good job of it.

#24 11 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

What I'd like to see is Stern use the little metal strips on every game

Yeah coz Lord knows they would do a better job than I would and they wouldn't even raise the price of the games one red cent.... no sirree

#25 11 years ago

Cliffy what protectors do you make for ac/dc premium? Shooter lane ect?

#26 11 years ago
Quoted from Concretehardt:

Cliffy what protectors do you make for ac/dc premium? Shooter lane ect?

http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=2787

#27 11 years ago

Thanks Tripp! Will that same protector work on my ac/cd and my SM?

#28 11 years ago

Ok.....I'm ordering the protector for Lotr le, Sm......WPT?......

How hard/easy is this to install? Idiot proof for guys like myself....

Take apron off, then ball eject cover and then ball lane guide?

#29 11 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

How hard/easy is this to install?

I've installed Cliffy's ball eject protectors on four or five games. If I can do it, anyone can.

#30 11 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

I've installed Cliffy's ball eject protectors on four or five games. If I can do it, anyone can.

Gweem
Do you use this protector as well?
http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=2120

#31 11 years ago
Quoted from Cliffy:

I'm not understanding why you would want to do that, Ice. You're willing to risk a $500 playfield by using a piece of tape to shield against a steel ball. So that's like, what, .05 cents worth of insurance? The cost of a piece of vinyl tape?
Or maybe $12 insurance, the cost of my stainless steel protector, is too high for you to truly protect that $500 playfield? I'm not gettin' it
http://www.passionforpinball.com/balleject/NM-SMeject2.jpg

Cliffy, your shooter protector is great but only protects one side of the shooter lane. The opposite side also takes a beating as does the bottom of the lane where the plunger is. There is nothing wrong with your protector and feel they are a must on every game, but even with the cliffy some areas are still left unprotected. So the best protection right now is a cliffy + mylar (or fake mylar).

#32 11 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Not really just look for the thinnest you can find and make sure it is a light adhesive so you can remove easily if need be. I've found some in the past on Amazon and a fellow pinsider hooked me up with some.

I definitely get the Cliffy shooter lane protector but the vinyls on good portion of the lane provides some extra protection on a high wear area. I've been impressed by how well it prevents wear. Sounds like the patches you have are very similar to what I'm talking about.

#33 11 years ago

That is very important for pins that have balls hitting wood side walls when ejected. I highly recommend that product if ejecting is hitting bare wood otherwise eventually you will have a divot.

#34 11 years ago

Thanks Dude my SM already has a small divot from ball strikes there
I think I will order one of these for my ac/dc and SM

#35 11 years ago

Yes. I put one of those on every game that requires it. Sometimes you have to slightly move the bubble level to install it.

#37 11 years ago

Cliffy, your shooter protector is great but only protects one side of the shooter lane. The opposite side also takes a beating as does the bottom of the lane where the plunger is.

Although not yet on my site I *DO* make a right side shooter groove protector too. Originally designed for Monster Bash they also work well with Sterns. Here's a pic sent to me by Rens H. testing for me in the Netherlands. This is ACDC but for the most part Sterns are fairly generic on that side

Rens-acdc-rtsideEJ1.JPGRens-acdc-rtsideEJ1.JPG

#38 11 years ago
Quoted from Cliffy:

Although not yet on my site I *DO* make a right side shooter groove protector too. Originally designed for Monster Bash they also work well with Sterns.

That's awesome Cliff! It will completely eliminate the need for mylar in the shooter lane. Another interesting thing about that picture is that Rens didn't move the bubble. He just laid it right on top of your protector. Seems like kind of an odd way to go. Did he have to drill a hole through the metal to do this, or is the protector notched there?

#39 11 years ago

The strike plate is NOT my protector. Mine is the one down on the playfield UNDER the black rail. The strike plate is available from Terry at pinballlife.com and is a generic guard made by Stern, I believe.

Here's a pic of my right side shooter eject protector;

rt-side-eject.JPGrt-side-eject.JPG

#40 11 years ago
Quoted from Cliffy:

Although not yet on my site I *DO* make a right side shooter groove protector too. Originally designed for Monster Bash they also work well with Sterns. Here's a pic sent to me by Rens H. testing for me in the Netherlands. This is ACDC but for the most part Sterns are fairly generic on that side

I'm confused, do you make different size protectors for the left side? The cliffy I got for AC/DC doesn't cover the painted black line completely, so I had to still mylar the shooter. That picture shows it is covering the entire area.

#41 11 years ago
Quoted from Cliffy:

The strike plate is NOT my protector. Mine is the one down on the playfield UNDER the black rail.

Ah, got it. I thought it was all one piece. Two separate pieces makes way more sense.

#42 11 years ago
Quoted from flashburn:

I'm confused, do you make different size protectors for the left side? The cliffy I got for AC/DC doesn't cover the painted black line completely, so I had to still mylar the shooter. That picture shows it is covering the entire area.

The multifit is all the same. The pic on my web page is here showing acdc covering the black line;
http://www.passionforpinball.com/balleject/NMacdcEJ2.jpg

They do have slotted mount holes to allow adjustment in or out. If yours is adjusted all the way out and still not covering you might have one from a bad batch from about a year ago. I thought I had all of them weeded out but maybe not. There's a thread regarding this. My laser guy cut the holes too low which made them really not cover much of anything. Send me a pic of yours and I can tell ya.

#43 11 years ago
Quoted from Cliffy:

The multifit is all the same. The pic on my web page is here showing acdc covering the black line;
http://www.passionforpinball.com/balleject/NMacdcEJ2.jpg
They do have slotted mount holes to allow adjustment in or out. If yours is adjusted all the way out and still not covering you might have one from a bad batch from about a year ago. I thought I had all of them weeded out but maybe not. There's a thread regarding this. My laser guy cut the holes too low which made them really not cover much of anything. Send me a pic of yours and I can tell ya.

Okay thanks. I'll send you a pic when I get home. Hopefully I just need to adjust it a bit.

#44 11 years ago

BTW, any news on a Cliffy for the Bell kickout hole in AC/DC?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 79.95
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
Pinball Life

€ 7.50
$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 12.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

€ 7.50
Playfield - Decals
Pin-Decals

$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Fuzz

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RamMods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 41.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RGP Models

$ 39.50
$ 12.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
WilliPinball Mods

$ 25.00
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RamMods

$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cliffys-or-self-adhesive-laminating-strips and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.