image-111.jpg
image.jpg
image-1170.jpg
image-5.jpg
MPF_Cliffy-375.jpg
P1000909.JPG
#1 10 years ago

Hi there !

I'm about to buy some Cliffy's for my DW but I'm not sure about what I really need.

On Cliffy's website are show three products I'm interested in on this page :
http://passionforpinball.com/drwho.htm
- the MPF edge protector
- the Time Expander entrance protector
- the top flap replacement (01-10650)

My problem is : I don't know if the two last can't be mounted simultaneously.
Has someone already tried this ?

Thanks for your advice !

(I have used the contact form on Cliffy's site but I'm unsure if it's up-to-date or cluttered with spam as it is in plain view from the robots...)

#2 10 years ago

I have them all on mine and it works and looks great. Highly recommended.

#3 10 years ago

Thanks 22troy, I'm going to do that too.

Cliffy answered my email from his website contact form and gave me the same advice.

#4 10 years ago

I would recommend you buy one more. Get the ramp protector too.

http://passionforpinball.com/Drwho/scott-dwr0.jpg

Yes, you can buy repros...but why. Save the ramp you have.
faz

#5 10 years ago

Hi faz, I already have the ramp protector installed
But the one who installed it waited for too long as the ramp all around the protector is trashed
I will maybe buy a new ramp another time but they're quite expensive !

#6 10 years ago

I added the MPF edge protector to mine. Works like a charm.

#7 10 years ago

A word of caution: Depending on how tight your Time Expander sits to the playfield the Cliffy's may make the Time Expander bind up when moving up/down. There are some mods you can do to help with this (installing washers or even filing away the playfield a bit), but it's not always a simple install with these.

I ordered all three but wasn't able to fit them all on. I ended up installing the top flap and edge protectors, and leaving off the entrance protector because of a lack of clearance.

#8 10 years ago

Thanks for the warning, I've just checked and there is not much space for all three to fit. Plus it's possible the time expander moves slightly back and forth when going up and down.

It's already ordered so... I will see what I can do !

Took a picture to show you the actual disaster (yeah not good to see for now, and i just noticed the broken plastic above the posts, think it's inevitable)
I got work that's for sure ! But it's from far the worst part of the machine.

P1000909.JPGP1000909.JPG

#9 10 years ago

Adjusting the mini pf to fit with the protector is not bad. Don't file the pf, enlongate the mini pf mounting holes to allow it to move back further. It doesn't take much.

#10 10 years ago

Good idea ! Will do.

I'll post pictures when the mpf look better, already think it will be night and day !

10 months later
#11 9 years ago

Looking at the MPF protector it looks like it loses the arch/spring. Does this affect gameplay? Otherwise this looks to be a must for the DW.

#12 9 years ago

I have the MPF edge protector (can't see in the photo), the spring strip and the main playfield edge protector.

Every once in a great while...if the ball is going really REALLY slow, it will get stop in the crack of the protector. I sit back, have a sip of the beverage at hand and after 30 seconds the game goes into ball search and it knocks it out. A thin washer between the bracket and the MPF will probably stop that...but it really does not happen that often.

faz

MPF_Cliffy-375.jpgMPF_Cliffy-375.jpg
#13 9 years ago

Okay, so you put the spring back in. For some reason I thought this was a replacement. I think I need to pick up a new one because mine has some light corrosion.

1 month later
#14 9 years ago

I broke down my MPF today and all went well. I had the same concern as freds13 regarding clearance of the 3 protector components. After putting on the MPF protector and reinstalling the MPF I realized even though it doesn't look like a lot clearance there is a lot of play.

My problem is when I tried to install the Time Expander entrance protector I could not figure out how to remove the two bumper posts the protector bolts to. These don't have a hex base. I took off the bolts on the back, but that didn't help. What am I missing?

#15 9 years ago

Mine have the hex base.

image-5.jpgimage-5.jpg
#16 9 years ago

Taylor, mine with the black bumpers on your pic are round at the base. Maybe I should clamp the round and twist after removing the nuts on the bottom.

#17 9 years ago

I have had success using vice grips to unscrew post like that by just grabbing the rubber. Really have to crank it down though.

#18 9 years ago
Quoted from TaylorVA:

I have had success using vice grips to unscrew post like that by just grabbing the rubber. Really have to crank it down though.

Does yours have nuts on the bottom? I don't really know why they are there. I get the nuts under the time expander because they hold the roller.

#19 9 years ago

T-nuts, you can see them partially sitting under the cliffy on either side

image-1170.jpgimage-1170.jpg

#20 9 years ago

Taylor I think we are looking at different parts. I put on the cliffy's that slides in under the optos. My problem is the playfield protector that fits under the bumper posts that hold down the shroud that surrounds the time expander. The one just above the Doctor 7 light. Thanks for sticking with me.

#21 9 years ago
Quoted from RyanStl:

Taylor I think we are looking at different parts. I put on the cliffy's that slides in under the optos. My problem is the playfield protector that fits under the bumper posts that hold down the shroud that surrounds the time expander. The one just above the Doctor 7 light. Thanks for sticking with me.

The post towards the front of the playfield.

I was showing you this pic because those post thread into tnuts. It sounds like yours have nuts.

#22 9 years ago

// Error: Image 301904 not found //

#23 9 years ago

Sorry I was misunderstanding which post you were taking about. Your talking about the post on the main playfield. You should just be able to undo the nuts and take out post. If they are tight I'd just tap it with a rubber mallet to loosen it up.

#24 9 years ago

Next time I have time I'll take your advice. I also need to remove the Hang On ramp see I can replace the lower two jet bumper bulbs.

#25 9 years ago
Quoted from RyanStl:

Next time I have time I'll take your advice. I also need to remove the Hang On ramp see I can replace the lower two jet bumper bulbs.

Good times.

1 month later
#26 9 years ago
Quoted from TaylorVA:

Sorry I was misunderstanding which post you were taking about. Your talking about the post on the main playfield. You should just be able to undo the nuts and take out post. If they are tight I'd just tap it with a rubber mallet to loosen it up.

Finished the job today. The posts were threaded on the bottom and simply set in holes. Mine were so tight I thought they were threaded through the playfield. I slowly twisted and twisted and only got movement when also pulling up. They were a pain to remove, but all they need were to be pulled. Now my Cliffy's are installed and fit perfectly.

#27 9 years ago

Glad to hear you got it worked out. Time to go transport some Drs.

#28 9 years ago

Now I have worked out, and I know once the nuts from the bottom of the two bolts that holds the Cliffy's should just pull out. Mine were so tight I thought they were screwed. I ended up putting painters tape on needle nose players and twisted and pulled. The posted eventually came out.

Those concerned about time expander clearance should not be. Before Cliffy's mine was tight and I thought added metal between the TE and PF wouldn't work. However, the TE has play when screwed down and Cliffy's designed each part so they don't hang up on each other.

I decided to use a new spring on top of the TE instead of Cliff's straight piece. I wanted it to be closer to original and the spring helps keep balls draining down center.

Pics of my clearances.

image.jpgimage.jpg image-111.jpgimage-111.jpg image-733.jpgimage-733.jpg
3 months later
#29 9 years ago

I put the Cliffy protector top flap on my Doctor Who Time Expander and the ball hits the edge and hoops and won't lock . Is there any way of making the Time Expander go lower about 1/8 of a inch. That should keep the ball from hiting the metal edge. Anyone have any other ideas on how to solve this issue .

#30 9 years ago

Put washers under the brackets which hold the time expanded to the bottom of the playfield.

#31 9 years ago
Quoted from Catch86:

Put washers under the brackets which hold the time expanded to the bottom of the playfield.

Can't. The bracket that holds the mpf to the pf sits on top of the pf. Even if you put washers between the mpf and the bracket, it would still raise the entire assembly. You would either need to lightly route where the bracket sits on the pf, or grind down the bracket.

#32 9 years ago

Oh, that's right. Sorry, it's been a while since I did mine. But I do remember having a similar problem when putting mine in. Maybe mine was too low. Well then you might have to adjust the opto underneath? Pinball_faz or taylorVA would know and I think Faz has some "how to" guides on the MPF.

#33 9 years ago

Definitely, refer to Faz's pdf. I'd suggest running through the t14 tests, check to see if the mpg is fully cycling to bottom? If you have the MPF out of the machine, use the methods in the guide with a 12v power supply to make sure it's fully cycling.

I'm guessing Faz will jump in when he gets a chance as well with some good thoughts?

#34 9 years ago

Check the t-nuts holding the pieces together. Sometimes the wood flakes, crud gets underneath and things just don't sit flush.

Check the bracket themselves; are the bracket wings square?

How about little video of the raising/lowering?

faz

3 years later
#35 5 years ago

Recently installed the full set of miniplayfield Cliffy's.

After getting everything put in place, which was fairly easy to do, I put the miniplayfield back in and there was some binding. I turned it off and read about filing down the screw holes to adjust the playfield back. Bought a cheap set of hobby files, and a half hour later reinstalled. No issues whatsoever. Everything is sitting flush and it looks and plays great.

I bought the whole Dr Who Cliffy set and happy with the product!

7 months later
#36 5 years ago

DW cliffys are a manditory addition in my opinion.

#37 5 years ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

DW cliffys are a manditory addition in my opinion.

I second that. Probably the same for most games.

#38 5 years ago

I put them on mine about 5 months ago and after some very slight adjustments needed to be made for clearance, game plays great.

Once those adjustments are made, it's like they were there from the factory, all along. It makes multi ball gameplay more consistent.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

3,700 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Ronkonkoma, NY
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 109.95
Electronics
PinSound

$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 85.00
3,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Johnson City, TN
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Bartlett, IL
$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 69.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

4,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Gresham, OR
£ 110.00
Playfield - Other
Arcade Upkeep

$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cliffys-on-a-doctor-who?hl=davisjl1979 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.