(Topic ID: 111133)

Cliffy's for WoZ....are they really needed? Which ones?

By iamabearsfan

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 19 posts
  • 16 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by Ed209
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Protector 1.jpeg
Protector 4.jpeg
Protector 2.jpeg
Protector 3.jpeg
munchkin pf.JPG
#1 9 years ago

Ok, I have heard various opinions on this. When the dust settled it seemed that a lot of people have said the upper playfield band around the house is the one that is needed the most. Others seem to be up for debate.

But here is my feeling on the band around the house upper playfield. It never gets hit. Or if it does, I simply haven't seen it. We have played several hundred games and I cannot see one mark on that piece of wood. Seeing as it is not an easy task to put it on, I have decided not to do it. I like the look of the wood too. Worse case is it does get banged up and I put the protector on. Or worse worse case is I just buy a new house playfield....which probably wouldn't be that expensive anyway.

The only protector that I think may warrant some help will be the hole that takes you to the castle. Maybe second to that would be the wiz hole.

Would love direction/opinions on this one.

Thanks guys!

Dave

#2 9 years ago

Ive got most of the kit minus the magnet ones, to be honest cant be bothered looks a lot of work

#3 9 years ago

I did all but the magnets. I like it installed on the mini field,i think it looks more finished.
I think it was less than 3 hours total install time. I did the mini and the vuk on the right side 1 night and the other 2 another time. Kind of good knowing how it comes apart anyway

#4 9 years ago

Xmas project

#5 9 years ago
Quoted from iamabearsfan:

But here is my feeling on the band around the house upper playfield. It never gets hit. Or if it does, I simply haven't seen it. We have played several hundred games and I cannot see one mark on that piece of wood.

Me either, no need there.

#6 9 years ago

I do not make things that are not needed. I simply do not have the time or money to do that. Gary Martin was the first to post pics of the damage to his Munchkin mini playfield. This is his pic from a thread a year ago or so
munchkin pf.JPGmunchkin pf.JPG

#7 9 years ago

My friend's home machine has wear worse than that already on his mini playfield, and the clear starting to crack on the wizard hole. Not so sure about the castle vuk. I'd definitely say they are needed. It kinda sucks how much work they are to put on, but it's probably a good idea.

#8 9 years ago
Quoted from Cliffy:

I do not make things that are not needed. I simply do not have the time or money to do that. Gary Martin was the first to post pics of the damage to his Munchkin mini playfield. This is his pic from a thread a year ago or so

I'd have to agree with Cliffy on this one. I bought my WOZ from another pinsider that already had all of the Cliffy's installed on it. I thought this was a great selling point. I couldn't be happier knowing that everything is protected. They all are working perfectly and everything still looks like NIB.

munchkin pf.JPG 229 KB

#9 9 years ago

I agree, if I were to buy and read Cliffy's installed they would get their money back. Some are not easy to get to, but worth it.

#10 9 years ago

my munchkin cliffy just came today and i bought a stern shooter lane one also ( i have it on my SM and i like the way it looks) i think im going to wet sand with 2000 and polish and put them on this weekend. also got some super duper shiny balls and mirror blades

#11 9 years ago

Like in the cliffy pic, munchkinland PF get hit mostly when you bash just slightly to the right of the glinda target. I have no cliffy's on mine, but if i do, that is actually the only one I would get. No wear on any of my VUK surrounds.

#12 9 years ago

Oh, and someone in a diff thread (or in the JJP google group, i forget) used green automotive paint (along with some clear on top of it) to jazz theirs up, I thought that looked pretty cool.

#13 9 years ago
Quoted from Cliffy:

munchkin pf.JPG 229 KB

$hit $hit $hit!! my munchkin pf has a similar chip to this already $hit! i totally have tomorrow afternoon booked to install my munchkin cliffy now i have to do a touch up on it first

5 months later
#14 8 years ago

Did I read somewhere that JJP would install Cliffy's for you when they build your machine?

#15 8 years ago
Quoted from DorothyMacaw:

Did I read somewhere that JJP would install Cliffy's for you when they build your machine?

I don't think that is true. Maybe if you spoke to Jack personally he could get that done for you but I doubt that is a normal business they are offering.

#16 8 years ago

I have them all installed since I got my WOZ ECLE You could probably get by without the rollover protectors. The castle VUK was a bit challenging to install. What I like about Cliffys (especially in a NIB purchase) is that they offer protection on the high wear areas. I also put Mylar on the poppers and around the slings. WOZ does not have them installed.

#17 8 years ago

JJP installed the entire Cliffy kit on my RRWOZ at the factory no-charge .

#18 8 years ago
Quoted from arcadenerd925:

Oh, and someone in a diff thread (or in the JJP google group, i forget) used green automotive paint (along with some clear on top of it) to jazz theirs up, I thought that looked pretty cool.

This was mine, the green does look really good, but even with mylar installed at the main damage point, after 2000 plays I'm going to have to take it off and refresh it.

Protector 2.jpegProtector 2.jpeg
Protector 3.jpegProtector 3.jpeg
Protector 1.jpegProtector 1.jpeg
Protector 4.jpegProtector 4.jpeg

#19 8 years ago

I use every Cliffy I can on my machines. Have friends who don't and over time you start to see the wear that could have been easily prevented. A full set of Cliffy's is way cheaper then a new playfield or ramp.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 69.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Stephenson, VA
13,000 (OBO)
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

Machine - For Sale
Warner Robins, GA
$ 5.00
$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 395.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

10,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
San Jose, CA
$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 55.00
Lighting - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 130.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cliffys-for-wozare-they-really-needed-which-ones and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.