Topic Stats

• 30 posts
  • 16 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 46 days ago by GRB1959
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 8 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

P1010239 (resized).JPG
P1010240 (resized).JPG
P1010236 (resized).JPG
P1010238 (resized).JPG
P1010237 (resized).JPG
Cliffy_Backlog (resized).jpg
IMG_20181201_0842380.jpg
20181220_234526 (resized).jpg

#1 51 days ago

**Not sure if this is the right sub-forum so please move it if it's in the wrong place**

Just like the title says. Any thoughts on which is better and why? What about long term use with the mantis and it's ability to protect the top part of the playfield?

I plan on swapping my TFTC playfield with a NOS one and am thinking long term preservation. I'm torn between the two.

I understand that cliffy's offer full scoop hole protection but they also interfere (slightly) with a rolling pinball. I have a set of cliffys that he made thinner for me because I told him the protector would be going on a NOS playfield.

A Mantis protector offers the scoop protection (not full) but allows the balls to 'fall in' the scoop easier. My only fear of the mantis protector is the ability to actually protect the scoop hole long term (topside....unprotected part)

I have both the mantis and cliffys ready to go. Just trying to decide which one would be better. All suggestions and input welcome!

Thanks and happy new year pinsiders!
Sean

#2 51 days ago

If you want complete protection, use both if you can.

#3 51 days ago
Quoted from pintechev:

If you want complete protection, use both if you can.

I never knew that was an option.

#4 51 days ago

In general, cliffys use existing screws for install, mantis sometimes require you to drill new holes under the playfield for install.

#5 51 days ago

Personally I prefer the Mantis protectors because they don't cover the playfield.

#6 51 days ago

I’m a fan of both.

For a new game, mantis is awesome. Total protection of a scoop without covering the art.

For a used game with any wear present around a scoop, the Cliffy provides a nice cover of the blemish and a protector.

#7 51 days ago

Follow up

Also Cliffy makes protectors for several areas of the playfield. Mantis is usually the scoop.

#8 51 days ago

Which would you use for this scoop (recently acquired SC). Mantis or cliffy?

20181220_234526 (resized).jpg
#9 51 days ago

For mantis users, does it prevent the top of the playfield/wood from getting chewed?

I'd throw on the mantis as long as it's guaranteed that the scoop will remain intact and not get chewed up. Thats why I'm asking.

Thanks

#10 51 days ago

It will not guarantee the upper lip. Which is why multiple people are recommending both. If you want complete protection, both.

#11 51 days ago

why would you need the mantis if you have the cliffy? seems like overkill since you can't see the lip of the wood with the cliffy on.

#12 51 days ago

Get a whole playfield protector neither is needed.

#13 51 days ago
Quoted from jake35:

why would you need the mantis if you have the cliffy? seems like overkill since you can't see the lip of the wood with the cliffy on.

Mantis would allow the ball to fall into the scoop with ease as opposed to the cliffy. Thats the only pro for having the mantis over a cliffy. The downside is the upper lip protection not being 100%

#14 51 days ago

This is the scoop where I want to place the mantis or cliffy. It's absolutely pristine and I would like to keep it that way.

The mantis would be nice to have installed but I'm hesitant about the protection at the upper lip. (Hence why I'm asking in this thread)

Cliffy would fully protect the scoop but wouldnt allow for balls to lightly "fall in." Making for a harder shot.

IMG_20181201_0842380.jpg
#15 51 days ago

Every machine that I have purchased that has had a cliffy on it, has had a mangled cliffy on it. Games that I have purchased form savvy collectors. That being said, I just ordered one to replace the mangled one on the Monster bash I just bought.

I think given you have a pristine PF maybe Mantis?

#16 51 days ago

If you're going to get a cliffy, order it now. He is a solid 2-3 months behind. Not a knock against the man, just being honest. He's addressing so many games, it is nearly impossible for him to keep up.

#17 51 days ago
Quoted from NPO:

If you're going to get a cliffy, order it now. He is a solid 2-3 months behind. Not a knock against the man, just being honest. He's addressing so many games, it is nearly impossible for him to keep up.

Like stated above, I already have both the cliffy and mantis. Cliffy was kind enough to make a cliffy specifically for my playfield knowing it's NOS so he made the edge thinner on the cliffy protector.

#18 51 days ago

If cliffy is behind I've noticed many of them offered on Ebay. I wonder if they are knockoffs or if they were made by him?

#19 50 days ago
Quoted from NPO:

That has not been my experience.

For the record, I'm a Cliffy guy.

#20 50 days ago

Neither. Other options than putting metal all over your games.

#21 50 days ago
Quoted from nerdygrrl:

Every machine that I have purchased that has had a cliffy on it, has had a mangled cliffy on it.

Usually, it's recommended to repair the hole first, then put down the protector. A lot of people don't do that, and just slap down the cliffy to cover up the damage. So, the metal flexes and bends after repeated hits since there isn't much underneath actually supporting it.

#22 50 days ago

I had to pull the Cllffy on my Indy 500 scoop. Way too many kickouts due to the metal. Game now plays the way its supposed to.

#23 50 days ago
Quoted from jake35:

Which would you use for this scoop (recently acquired SC). Mantis or cliffy?

I’d use Mylar

#24 50 days ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

I’d use Mylar

2nd the Mylar.

#25 50 days ago
Quoted from iceman44:

I had to pull the Cllffy on my Indy 500 scoop. Way too many kickouts due to the metal. Game now plays the way its supposed to.

That's the reason I'm asking. A cliffy is fine but if installing the mantis protects the playfield and allows the pinball to play the way it's supposed to I'm all for that.

Cliffy protects great but doesn't allow the game to play as it should.

Just trying to see what the mantis proponents think and how it lasts long term compared to a cliffy?!

#26 49 days ago
Quoted from wheels:

That has not been my experience.
For the record, I'm a Cliffy guy.

Well, it hasn't been my experience. Proof is in the screenshot below.

I told my story to minimize downtime/wait time for the OP, and that was this year. View the attached invoice with the original payment date and the shipping date both in red rectangles below.

Again, if you want to order a cliffy, best to do it sooner than later.

Cliffy_Backlog (resized).jpg

#27 49 days ago

I don't play my games too much. I prefer Mantis for excellent playfields for both the play and the looks. If you are concerned, I agree that a small mylar section could be put right up to the edge.

#28 47 days ago

I have both Cliffy protectors and Mantis protectors installed on all my games. The general rule of thumb that I have applied is that if it is a pristine scoop hole with no damage then I install a Mantis protector.

However, Cliffy makes protectors for some scoop holes that are not made by Mantis so in that case I have installed a Cliffy protector on a pristine scoop hole. Both protectors do an excellent job of protecting the playfield surfaces that they are designed to protect and both options are created by excellent product/service providers (Cliff Rinear creates Cliffy protectors and Kerry Stair creates Mantis protectors).

For my TFTC, I installed a Mantis protector in March of 2018 and have since played roughly 500 games with the Mantis protector installed. After playing about 50 games or so I made a slight adjustment to the Mantis protector by lifting it up on the right side of the scoop hole to provide better protection for the upper right side of the scoop hole.

Below are some photos that show my TFTC scoop hole after roughly 500 plays with the Mantis protector installed. As the OP (Sean) stated, the Mantis allows very slowly rolling balls to drop into the scoop hole without being deflected.

Gord

P1010236 (resized).JPG
P1010237 (resized).JPG
P1010238 (resized).JPG
P1010239 (resized).JPG
P1010240 (resized).JPG

#29 46 days ago
Quoted from GRB1959:

I have both Cliffy protectors and Mantis protectors installed on all my games. The general rule of thumb that I have applied is that if it is a pristine scoop hole with no damage then I install a Mantis protector.
However, Cliffy makes protectors for some scoop holes that are not made by Mantis so in that case I have installed a Cliffy protector on a pristine scoop hole. Both protectors do an excellent job of protecting the playfield surfaces that they are designed to protect and both options are created by excellent product/service providers (Cliff Rinear creates Cliffy protectors and Kerry Stair creates Mantis protectors).
For my TFTC, I installed a Mantis protector in March of 2018 and have since played roughly 500 games with the Mantis protector installed. After playing about 50 games or so I made a slight adjustment to the Mantis protector by lifting it up on the right side of the scoop hole to provide better protection for the upper right side of the scoop hole.
Below are some photos that show my TFTC scoop hole after roughly 500 plays with the Mantis protector installed. As the OP (Sean) stated, the Mantis allows very slowly rolling balls to drop into the scoop hole without being deflected.
Gord
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
[quoted image]

Thanks again Gord! I felt like I was pestering you in the TFTC thread and was curious what other mantis users thought (especially long term usage of the mantis).

I'm leaning towards the mantis.

Would applying some mylar around the upper lip be beneficial in keeping the top of the scoop hole protected prior to installing the mantis?

#30 46 days ago
Quoted from TheHueManatee:

Thanks again Gord! I felt like I was pestering you in the TFTC thread and was curious what other mantis users thought (especially long term usage of the mantis).
I'm leaning towards the mantis.
Would applying some mylar around the upper lip be beneficial in keeping the top of the scoop hole protected prior to installing the mantis?

It probably wouldn't hurt, but the main thing it to bend the Mantis protector slightly upwards on the right side of the scoop hole.

Gord

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods
$ 15.00
$ 64.00
$ 32.00
Electronics
Yorktown Parts and Equip
$ 50.00
$ 15.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Boards
PinSound
3,100 (OBO)
Sale Pending!
Lincoln, NE
$ 15.00
$ 16.00
£ 32.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball
Sale Pending!
Phoenixville, PA
$ 45.00
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
€ 95.00
Lighting - Led
FlipperLED
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside