You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Kiss_Right_Lane_After_Protector.jpg
Kiss_Left_Inlane_Afer_Protector.jpg
Kiss_After_Protector.jpg

#1 8 years ago

I recently installed the protectors for the In-Lanes and also the scoop shot. Instructional Video and Pics Below.

Blog : https://pinballsupernova.wordpress.com/2015/08/20/cliffys-protectors-install-on-stern-kiss/

Website: http://www.pinballsupernova.com/kiss%20cliffy%20repair.html

Video :

Kiss_After_Protector.jpgKiss_After_Protector.jpg

Kiss_Left_Inlane_Afer_Protector.jpgKiss_Left_Inlane_Afer_Protector.jpg

Kiss_Right_Lane_After_Protector.jpgKiss_Right_Lane_After_Protector.jpg

#2 8 years ago

Thanks alot for the info! Wasn't aware the inlanes were available yet. Still waiting on my scoop.

#3 8 years ago

gonna be needing a big giant cliffy for the middle of the playfield. mine is getting beat up by the ball flying out of the gene head. I think this is gonna be an issue in the long run.

btw looks great. thanks for sharing. this game is so colorful very nice.

#4 8 years ago
Quoted from thundergod76:

Thanks alot for the info! Wasn't aware the inlanes were available yet.

Those are just standard universal switch slot protectors. They are compatible with virtually all modern games ...

http://www.passionforpinball.com/switchslot.htm

#5 8 years ago

Nicely done, thanks Lee! Expecting a new batch of blanks from laser today, in fact. Sincere apologies to all those who have been waiting so patiently.

#6 8 years ago

Great to hear that a new batch will be coming soon... Thanks for all the hard work Cliffy

#7 8 years ago

Look forward to mine arriving!

#8 8 years ago
Quoted from robotron:

gonna be needing a big giant cliffy for the middle of the playfield. mine is getting beat up by the ball flying out of the gene head. I think this is gonna be an issue in the long run.
btw looks great. thanks for sharing. this game is so colorful very nice.

Same here mines beat up to.

#9 8 years ago

Stern just needs to hire cliff as a QC inspector, then again he might go out go business, lol. Why didn't stern just shorten ramps or slide switches down so the ball drop is not right over switch. You would think they would know this will become an issue in future.

#10 8 years ago
Quoted from fliperz:

Stern just needs to hire cliff as a QC inspector, then again he might go out go business, lol. Why didn't stern just shorten ramps or slide switches down so the ball drop is not right over switch. You would think they would know this will become an issue in future.

Fliperz, the lane protector that Cliffy produces does not really protect the metal switch that activates when the ball rolls over it in the inlanes, the protector actually protects the wood from wearing on the playfield that is around the switch. The wear occurs from the ball dropping out of the ramps into the inlanes of the playfield producing wear in the wood on the playfield. The protector also protects further wear from happening if wear is already in that area. All of Cliffy's products are great.

#11 8 years ago
Quoted from wiggy07:

Fliperz, the lane protector that Cliffy produces does not really protect the metal switch that activates when the ball rolls over it in the inlanes, the protector actually protects the wood from wearing on the playfield that is around the switch. The wear occurs from the ball dropping out of the ramps into the inlanes of the playfield producing wear in the wood on the playfield. The protector also protects further wear from happening if wear is already in that area. All of Cliffy's products are great.

I could of worded that better, moving the slot down where switch resides as to protect wood. Love cliffs products and I even got the t shirt to prove it lol

#12 8 years ago

To the OP...Would you consider posting a video on how to install the shooter eject on KISS?
I'm pretty lost By the way, thanks for my shipment today Cliffy!

#13 8 years ago

To the OP...Would you consider posting a video on how to install the shooter eject on KISS?
I'm pretty lost By the way, thanks for my shipment today Cliffy!

I'm pretty sure you will need to pull your apron off and loosen a couple screws on your trough to put it in. At least that is how most have been in the past.

Good Luck.

3 weeks later
#14 8 years ago

Received in-lane and scoop protectors today, had them installed in 20 minutes. A bump for a helpful video - thanks!!

#15 8 years ago

Got mine also!!! Just need my premium still...

#16 8 years ago
Quoted from FatDaddyRich:

Received in-lane and scoop protectors today, had them installed in 20 minutes. A bump for a helpful video - thanks!!

Agreed! Does anyone know if the apron has to be removed to install the shooter lane Cliffy? I sure could use a video on that!

#17 8 years ago
Quoted from robotron:

Go to most any office supply store and buy clear, static cling vinyl sheets. I haven't bought any in a while but the brand name I used was Avery. Or buy it on line from another manufacturer.

Its just like mylar without the hardcore glue. It stays put and wears like iron. I've been using it for years. Comes in 8 by 11 inch sheets.

I put a sheet of static cling in a paper cutter (for a straight edge) 1.5 inches wide at the top and 3 wide at the bottom. Cut it the length of the sheet, 11 inches. I peeled the backing off and installed it (smoothed out with a credit card) the full 11 inch length. The small end I placed at the beginning of the Axle Hole on my GnR and flowed it down close to the flippers. I angled it the same trajectory the ball was coming out. Never a problem and it doesn't effect game play. My playfield is perfect and I installed it years ago.

Measure width of your own game where the ball comes out and work accordingly. - I guarantee you will love playing your game even more.

#18 8 years ago

Agreed! Does anyone know if the apron has to be removed to install the shooter lane Cliffy? I sure could use a video on that!

I helped capguntrooper install his he has pics just pm him or ask him to do a thread

#19 8 years ago

Thanks for Voluntolding me on this Fliperz....LOL J/K! Here is a link to the shooter lane protection courtesy of CLIFFY.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-shooter-lane-protection-kit-for-kiss-pinball#post-2695535

#20 8 years ago

Awesome thanks!!

4 weeks later
#21 8 years ago

Here's another video with all the Cliffy's installed including the Ball Trough protectors.

Blog Post : https://pinballsupernova.wordpress.com/2015/10/18/cliffys-protectors-full-install-on-stern-kiss-up-kicker-hole-in-lane-ball-shooter-lane-protectors/

Video :

5 months later
#22 8 years ago

Just wondering who is using a Cliffy scoop protector for KISS and how they feel about it now? I had read that some people thought it made the shot tooo difficult. My scoop is starting to get a little beat up (indentations on both sides) and I'm thinking about finally getting one.

#23 8 years ago

I've had one on since day one. After 6 mths it's getting bent up. I've had to take it out and pound it out straight. It makes the shot almost as hard as the right ramp. Ridiculous amount of rejects. Really affects gameplay. Considering removing it soon.

#24 8 years ago

My Cliffy is getting beaten up...better the Cliffy takes the abuse and not the playfield.

#25 8 years ago
Quoted from jeffsarcade:

Just wondering who is using a Cliffy scoop protector for KISS and how they feel about it now? I had read that some people thought it made the shot tooo difficult. My scoop is starting to get a little beat up (indentations on both sides) and I'm thinking about finally getting one.

The shot is already tight, so the cliffy does make it a bit harder.

I'd love to rip it off, but it stays since I don't want to damage the PF.

Mantis amusements style protectors might work better (I have a Mantis protector on my AFM), but I don't see a KISS protector on the website.

#26 8 years ago

I've got a Mantis on KISS, and it does make the shot a bit harder to make. You have to mount it as tight as you can to the front edge of the scoop hole for it to work better. No complaints here, and the playfield wood is still in great shape.

#27 8 years ago

I don't know, my Kiss LE was sold months after owning it to a friend. I would rather keep the protector on than having my play field destroyed. That scoop gets a lot of hard shots delivered to it. I can't imagine how that hole would look without using a protector.

#28 8 years ago

I just put a Mantis on it last night after writing my post but haven't played a game yet. It looks kind of odd, but then again, I don't think I installed it 100% right since you have to put two holes in the wood under the playfield... and I don't think I got it completely snug to the front lip of the scoop. The metal on the Mantis looks to actually be thicker than the Cliffy metal, making it an even smaller hole... however, the Mantis allows for the ball to still drop in since it leaves the small ledge like the original scoop.

It would be sweet if the Cliffy could replicate the small ledge.

I have had my machine since early October and have probably put a few hundred games on it... the scoop is finally showing some wear with ball indentations on either side. Doesn't look bad (yet) and to be honest, you don't even really notice it from a playing position. If the light catches it, you may notice it.

#29 8 years ago

After seeing some Metallica scoops my cliffy is going nowhere.

#30 8 years ago
Quoted from joekiss:

After seeing some Metallica scoops my cliffy is going nowhere.

Exactly. I have seen some KISS pins with brutalized backstage pass holes already as well. Sure, I brick more shots than I'd like, but there is no way I'd play mine without a cliffy.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
Other
$ 24.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cliffy-protector-install-for-stern-kiss-pinball and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.