Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

36BF0740-023D-4BFA-85C5-20A5182D6CCE (resized).jpeg
mantis (resized).JPG
IMG_3576 (resized).jpg
Resized_20200710_122342 (resized).jpg
#1 3 years ago

I just received and installed a full set of cliffys direct from http://www.passionforpinball.com/mm.htm I had to wait a few weeks for delivery as they are all custom made. Overall, I think it took about 2 hours to install the full set. The only part I had any difficulties with was the part behind the castle protecting the moat, but it wasn't that bad and I figured it out in about 45 minutes. The pieces themselves are very thing and I can see no difference in game play since installing them. The only thing I feel like is missing from this set is a small piece to protect the wood in front of the trap door. In addition to the cliffy set, I have a couple of small pieces of mylar under the drops, in the shooter lane, and protecting the wood in front of the trap door. I would highly recommend these and will be installing cliffys on any higher end machines that wind up in my basement. As I could find no installation videos for these, please accept my humble contribution to the hobby of me installing my cliffy set. Good luck and feel free to ask any questions!

Installation requires a 1/4 inch nut driver, 11/32 nut driver, and #2 Phillips screwdriver.

Top video shows where all the cliffys are, what needs to be removed to install, and how long each piece takes to drop in.

Drawbridge Edge Protector

Left Outlane Switch Protector

Right Outlane Switch Protector

Front Moat Edge Protector

Shooter Lane Eject Protector

Catapult Protector

Merlin Protector

Moat Jump Protector Part 1

Moat Jump Protector Part 2

#2 3 years ago

Thanks for the post!

Are the any tricks to make the 45 minute install behind the castle much easier??? Seems crazy hard!

#3 3 years ago

Nice videos and a well deserved
For taking the time and effort to show what needs to happen.
-Mike

#4 3 years ago

It would be great if someone posted a complimentary video here too showing the mantis kit install.

#5 3 years ago
Quoted from Westsiderkg:

Thanks for the post!
Are the any tricks to make the 45 minute install behind the castle much easier??? Seems crazy hard!

In all honesty, this was less a video of me installing it and more a video of me figuring out how to install it.

1. Remove fasteners holding down left ramp. (4 screws 2 nuts)
2. Remove castle tower behind castle (4 screws)
3. Remove clear plastic piece behind tower (2 nuts)
4. Remove metal guide by cobblestone behind castle (2 screws)
5. Insert Cliffy
6. Reassemble top side
7. Add screw in bottom.

25 minutes if I had to do it again now that I know what I'm doing.

#6 3 years ago
Quoted from Westsiderkg:

It would be great if someone posted a complimentary video here too showing the mantis kit install.

I just sent an email to mantis to see if I could get the cobblestone protector (Moat jump by the door) by itself. It's the only thing I feel like is really missing as it is one of the few areas that shows wear on my ~ 1000 play machine. I'll post another video if I can get just that piece.

#8 3 years ago

Awesome!

#9 3 years ago
Quoted from Westsiderkg:

Here is the Mantis moat jump install. I didnt feel like I needed both kits but the Mantis protector for this spot protects a wood chipping machine. I have one of the Mantis pieces and here it is. Really don't like the second screw hole on the left. I don't want to drill the top side of my playfield so will leave as is. May glue the head of a screw there so it looks right.

#10 3 years ago

Thanks. How about trying the merlin protector next!

#11 3 years ago

Well, like others have said here the merlin mantis protector simply does not work well. I tried fumbling with it for 2 hours! Simply couldn't find a happy place, ball would not eject from the hole. Too bad, in theory a nice protector, but in reality not very functional.

The mantis moat protector was nice and installed easily from the bottom. One issue though, Kerry may want to adjust his laser cut precision a bit, lol. The end with the screw required some grinding to fit. Overall, much easier looking though than cliffy. I was able to loosen 4 screws in the moat and slip it under. Pilot holes and drilled in, done.

One final note, for the gate I zipped off a flat head nail and glued in it since, like many others, I didn't want to drill a pilot hole in the top of the play field. We will see how long it holds. Here is a pic.

Resized_20200710_122342 (resized).jpgResized_20200710_122342 (resized).jpg
#12 3 years ago
Quoted from Westsiderkg:

Well, like others have said here the merlin mantis protector simply does not work well. I tried fumbling with it for 2 hours! Simply couldn't find a happy place, ball would not eject from the hole. Too bad, in theory a nice protector, but in reality not very functional.
The mantis moat protector was nice and installed easily from the bottom. One issue though, Kerry may want to adjust his laser cut precision a bit, lol. The end with the screw required some grinding to fit. Overall, much easier looking though than cliffy. I was able to loosen 4 screws in the moat and slip it under. Pilot holes and drilled in, done.
One final note, for the gate I zipped off a flat head nail and glued in it since, like many others, I didn't want to drill a pilot hole in the top of the play field. We will see how long it holds. Here is a pic. [quoted image]

I've had a picture of the installed Mantis Merlin protector screw locations posted here for a few days now after someone asked me to. I hope that helped somebody, it can be done as I've shown. It does work well if you do it right. Someone is still asking about the Mantis moat eject protector and I have a picture of that installed as well. Good job documenting this stuff.

#13 3 years ago

Cliffy Drain Hole Protector Installation

*Note, this did not come with the original set I ordered. Cliffy mailed me this gratis (thanks!) after I sent him a link to the other install videos. You can request these in your kit but newer MMRs come with a protector from the factory..

#14 3 years ago

Cliffy Ejector Shooter Lane Installation

*Note, this did not come with the original set I ordered. Cliffy mailed me this gratis (thanks!) after I sent him a link to the other install videos.

#15 3 years ago

Have you noticed anything about the carbon fiber cliffy protector jamming up the ball release mech in the merlin scoop? I removed the mantis one for the reason, jammed repeatedly. Concerned about putting the cliffy one on since its not really removeable. Any issues for you? Tks.

#16 3 years ago
Quoted from Westsiderkg:

Have you noticed anything about the carbon fiber cliffy protector jamming up the ball release mech in the merlin scoop? I removed the mantis one for the reason, jammed repeatedly. Concerned about putting the cliffy one on since its not really removeable. Any issues for you? Tks.

I have not seen any difference in any from the cliffy protector over the merlin hole in the week I have had it installed.

#18 3 years ago
Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

I have not seen any difference in any from the cliffy protector over the merlin hole in the week I have had it installed.

i havent either.

Westsiderkg, I just got done installing everything but the Mantis merlin, because it interferes with the merlin ejector assembly mounting holes
(see main MMR thread for my pics), and the Mantis Moat jump and Mantis Moat Ejector plate.

You mentioned you did install the Mantis Moat jump. Is it really just loosening the moat and not removing it? Did you install the Moat ejector?

#19 3 years ago

Yes, I got it on just loosening the bottom 4 bolts. Don't pull too hard though.

Again, really like the Mantis merlin concept, but its non functional.

#20 3 years ago

Those switch protectors are installed on the in-lanes not the out-lanes, although someone could get an extra two for the out-lanes as well, but you are showing the in-lane install/

#21 3 years ago
Quoted from Westsiderkg:

Yes, I got it on just loosening the bottom 4 bolts. Don't pull too hard though.
Again, really like the Mantis merlin concept, but its non functional.

ok, if its just loosening the moat ramp then I will try to install moat protector today. BTW, the moat ejector protector was a piece of cake. just remove the small board infront of the moat VUK and the VUK assemble it self. 5 screws total.

#22 3 years ago

I ook the moat ramp off. It really wasnt too bad. ^ screws and a couple of connectors but WTF

How am I supposed to install the Mantis protector with the Cliff in there. The picture with the hand is my machine. The other pic is from the mantis instructions

IMG_3576 (resized).jpgIMG_3576 (resized).jpgmantis (resized).JPGmantis (resized).JPG
#23 3 years ago

I am also struggle to see what the mantis protector does vs the cliffy? It doesnt look like it offers any further protection! Please advise

#24 3 years ago
Quoted from bent98:

I am also struggle to see what the mantis protector does vs the cliffy? It doesnt look like it offers any further protection! Please advise

I have mentioned all of these points once already. The Mantis Moat Jump protects the front vertical wall of the castle hole from ball kickbacks I think. I put the Mantis on BEFORE the Cliffy if I remember right from 2.5 years ago. The front topside edge of the castle hole is still unprotected as the Mantis cobblestone is not wide enough, you will get wear on that edge even with all these protectors installed.

You might want to consult someone who has done this more recently, I am going by distant memory and could be wrong about what the Mantis is protecting over the Cliffy. I cannot see it well with just a topside flashlight but maybe there is redundancy there, I forget. It does look like a redundancy in your pictures. If so, I'd choose the Cliffy only since it has the moat plastic protection.

#25 3 years ago

Both maybe a challenge, I just went with Mantis. That's enough protection for me.

#26 3 years ago

Acutally , I put it all back together. The cliff is better and offers more protection. The Mantis Moat jump is redundant and not needed

2 months later
#27 3 years ago
Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

Cliffy Drain Hole Protector Installation
*Note, this did not come with the original set I ordered. Cliffy mailed me this gratis (thanks!) after I sent him a link to the other install videos. You can request these in your kit but newer MMRs come with a protector from the factory..

here how it looks likes in my MMRRE, factory built in by CGC.
thanks a lot sataneatscheese for the nice videos which helps me a lot to install the cliffys this weekend.

36BF0740-023D-4BFA-85C5-20A5182D6CCE (resized).jpeg36BF0740-023D-4BFA-85C5-20A5182D6CCE (resized).jpeg
Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 84.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
FlyLand Designs

Machine - For Sale
Carmel Hamlet, NY
$ 54.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 44.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 69.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 45.00
$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 9.95
Machine - For Sale
Bristow, VA
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

14,550 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Grand Forks, ND
$ 29.95
$ 130.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinwize.com

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 24.99
Cabinet - Decals
Bent Mods

10,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bettendorf, IA
$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Decals
Bent Mods

$ 37.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cliffy-mmr-installation-videos-full-set-review?hl=bent98 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.