View topic image gallery

2014-03-31 18.54.07.jpg
IMG_1324.JPG
IMG_1323.JPG
IMG_1322.JPG
IMG_1321.JPG
metcliff1.JPG
metcliff2.JPG
There are 56 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 10 years ago

Ay Guys..... for years, ive supported Cliffy and his products, and am still a huge fan of the products. But with every happy customer, there will always be burps, and today, i MUST publish this one.

I recently put the Cliffy magnet protector around the sparky magnet. With the new code and a more active sparky, the protector was curling up, lifting around the magnet. I did do the install per Cliff's instructions, wiping down the area with the wipe provided, and like the shooter lane protector, it will not stay down. These protectors were day one installed.

I dont blame Cliff for this, i do have to look at Stern and their sub par quality on the playfields in todays production process. This is a warning for other owners who put this protector on their machine and to use caution when removing it.

Game has approx. 500 plays on it, HUO.

metcliff2.JPGmetcliff2.JPG metcliff1.JPGmetcliff1.JPG
#2 10 years ago

That sucks. There is no way that should have happened if the playfield was cleared properly.

#3 10 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

That sucks. There is no way that should have happened if the playfield was cleared properly.

Next pf will be cleared by Kruzman

#4 10 years ago

Just put light adhesive Mylar/vinyl around magnets very durable and almost unnoticeable.

#5 10 years ago

Your lucky.

This is an easy fix. Put a . Layer of hard as nails, let dry, do it again then use 1000 grit and lightly sand, fill it in with black marker, Put a Mylar circle down on top. You'll never know that ever happened.

#6 10 years ago
Quoted from hank527:

Your lucky.
This is an easy fix. Put a . Layer of hard as nails, let dry, do it again then use 1000 grit and lightly sand, fill it in with black marker, Put a Mylar circle down on top. You'll never know that ever happened.

Its a totally fixable problem, just not all that happy that i have to deal with it at this point in ownership.

#7 10 years ago

Just traded emails with Cliffy, he does have a few ideas about why this happened and how to fix it. I will let the boss chime in.

In no way is this a shot at Cliff, most of my machines have his products. A decent clear coat and this wouldve never happened.

#8 10 years ago

Holy shit, I just realized today mine is curling up as well. I'm afraid to peel it off!

#9 10 years ago

[attachment=1555726,null]

Said pdf is the fix for the problem. Bottom line, raising the post will help stop the protector curling up.

Again, there is no blame at Cliffy, just a warning to others that own this product and are using it and what could happen. Cliff has said he will send another protector out, which i refused. I will still support Cliffy products, for years he made beat up games look presentable with common wear problems and preventing future problems. He is an asset to the hobby.

If you feel the need to post hatred about his products, start another thread, my thread is all about moving forward, as without us customers who test and trust his products we wouldnt have minty looking games that are pushing 20-30 years old.

[attachment=1555726,]
#10 10 years ago
Quoted from Gnatty:

Holy shit, I just realized today mine is curling up as well. I'm afraid to peel it off!

You probably need to go in and scrape the glue before you peel it up

#11 10 years ago
Quoted from JDubbbs:

[attachment=1555726,null]
Said pdf is the fix for the problem. Bottom line, raising the post will help stop the protector curling up.
Again, there is no blame at Cliffy, just a warning to others that own this product and are using it and what could happen. Cliff has said he will send another protector out, which i refused. I will still support Cliffy products, for years he made beat up games look presentable with common wear problems and preventing future problems. He is an asset to the hobby.
If you feel the need to post hatred about his products, start another thread, my thread is all about moving forward, as without us customers who test and trust his products we wouldnt have minty looking games that are pushing 20-30 years old.

[attachment=1555726,]

Yeh, its not Cliffy's fault at all. When you put mylar or glue on a PF and pull it up, you take a risk. Those putting mylar on shooter lanes are going to have issues if they pull it up.

#12 10 years ago

I will send the pdf to any person needing to read it. Please send email to jdubbbs at gmail dot com

#13 10 years ago
Quoted from hank527:

Yeh, its not Cliffy's fault at all. When you put mylar or glue on a PF and pull it up, you take a risk. Those putting mylar on shooter lanes are going to have issues if they pull it up.

Not is you use the normal/proper ways to remove mylar

#14 10 years ago

I just checked, mine is curling too! I followed the instructions completely when putting it down. How do I go about getting it off without pulling up part of the pf?

#15 10 years ago

break the glue down via goo gone, lift slowly after glue has dissolved. I would think a soldering iron would heat up the glue also, but i myself am not going to try that

send me email, ill send the pdf file for installation removal.

Update/directions will be available on Cliffs site in a day or so, the man had to work tonight and promised he would get to updating the site this week.

Post edited by JDubbbs: forgot info

#16 10 years ago

This happened on my xmen magnets, the cliffy circles started to curl and warp. I pulled them up, no damage to the PF. I installed Mylar circles from pinballlife, no issues. I think the heat from the magnet is killing these.

#17 10 years ago

How do you install the mylar circles, right on top of the magnet, or do you cut the magnet area out and make it like a mylar donut?

#18 10 years ago

You put the Mylar circles right over the magnet, they are slightly larger so the edges are outside of the magnet edges.

Brad

#19 10 years ago

Ive sent the pdf out to 10 people. I will continue to do so until Cliff updates the site. That said, i do have work and life to deal with, any emails will be returned asap, as i check email at 5am everyday.

#20 10 years ago

I have the mylar circles over mine and they are cooked up at 150 plays

#21 10 years ago

I helped Cliffy in making the PDF. I had it also curling up, luckily with me it came off without any damage. When installing replacement I made a small guide to lighten the burden on Cliffy's shoulders. Ater all we want him developing new products and not spending his time behind a keyboard

The PDF is up on Cliffy's website, http://www.passionforpinball.com/Metallica/Magnet%20protector%20guide.pdf

#22 10 years ago

I would cut out the magnet on the mylar circle. The ball will chew thru the mylar in short order if you don't. Besides, you are not trying to protect the magnet, just the playfield.

#23 10 years ago

Would a hair dryer work to soften the glue before removing?

#24 10 years ago
Quoted from JDubbbs:

I dont blame Cliff for this, i do have to look at Stern and their sub par quality on the playfields in todays production process. This is a warning for other owners who put this protector on their machine and to use caution when removing it.

I find the later sterns since say xmen and on to have awesome quality and the best clear coat in years. I definitely blame the addon product you glued on and peeled off after it heated up by a magnet in a hundred plays. Not the clear coat.

#25 10 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

I find the later sterns since say xmen and on to have awesome quality and the best clear coat in years. I definitely blame the addon product you glued on and peeled off after it heated up by a magnet in a hundred plays. Not the clear coat.

Agree with Mark.

None of my Sterns have anything on the magnets ... No Mylar, no nothing, and not one has any wear around it.

Make sure your magnet pole is at the correct height, that's a good start. Too low, you'll have a problem.

rd

#26 10 years ago

My METPRO has over 600 plays, I installed the Mylar circles after it was pulled out of the box and they look like day one. I can only assume I don't activate the magnets as much as others.

Brad

#27 10 years ago

Sorry to hear dubbs. I bought these cliffys but never installed them.

#28 10 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

I agree I bought them but never installed them, HUO probably don't need them

#29 10 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

Of course, it's the heat - never thought of that.

Mylar circles have done me fine - 1000 plays on IM - changed them a couple of times. Wax first and then stick on.

#30 10 years ago

would a 1-2 ohm resistor maybe lessen some heat (some strength too sure) generated by the magnet?
how really strong does the magnetic force need to be to adequately get the job done? possible solution that'd extend the life of the electromagnet maybe?

#31 10 years ago
Quoted from zizzlemeplease:

would a 1-2 ohm resistor maybe lessen some heat (some strength too sure) generated by the magnet?
how really strong does the magnetic force need to be to adequately get the job done? possible solution that'd extend the life of the electromagnet maybe?

Magnets dying aren't a problem and really don't need a solution either.

#32 10 years ago

I installed the same protector, as the balled traveled over the ring it caused the ring to bend/warp. When I removed it the art work came off not to mention the ring dug into the playfield. I'd never recommend these to anyone. Very unhappy.

#33 10 years ago

Is this the exact same type of protector that's used on Star Trek? I ordered the entire set, but never installed the magnet one. After reading this, I'd be even more reluctant to do so.

#34 10 years ago

About 1/3 of the magnet on my Met Pro is curling. The other 2/3 still stuck tight. I would like to remove without lifting any ink. I am told that to remove the magnet protector I need to soften the 3M adhesive with a citrus solvent such as Goo Gone. I am confused. How and where do I put the Goo Gone on the 2/3 that is still stuck to the pf.

#35 10 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

Is this the exact same type of protector that's used on Star Trek? I ordered the entire set, but never installed the magnet one. After reading this, I'd be even more reluctant to do so.

I had it on my MET and now on my ST - I made sure magnet alignment was just above playfield and installed Cliffy and then made magnet flat again.. Never a problem

Quoted from 2RustyBalls:

I installed the same protector, as the balled traveled over the ring it caused the ring to bend/warp. When I removed it the art work came off not to mention the ring dug into the playfield. I'd never recommend these to anyone. Very unhappy.

If the ring is installed flush with the PF how could it bend, warp ? I am not doubting - simply wondering..

#36 10 years ago
Quoted from PunishersLEMC:

If the ring is installed flush with the PF how could it bend, warp ? I am not doubting - simply wondering..

I don't have any of these rings, but my guess is the ball rolling/skidding across and striking only the top surface could peen the surface, producing a curling or cupping effect.

Edit: I'm not saying anything negative about Cliffy's stuff as Cliffy makes great stuff. I have at least one of his protectors on 18 of my 19 machines. I'm just answering the question as to what might be causing the curling.

#37 10 years ago

I have never used the goo gone. What is the best way to use this? How do you make sure it gets under the protector to loosen? Thanks, Mike

#38 10 years ago
Quoted from jamesdeloris:

How and where do I put the Goo Gone on the 2/3 that is still stuck to the pf.

You need to get the Goo Gone under the ring, so it can dissolve the glue.

So the part of the ring that has lifted, needs the GG under it.

As more of the ring lifts, add more GG to the newly exposed area.

#39 10 years ago

My METLE gets a lot of use, the magnet ring warped from the ball skipping across it. It's a piece of metal sitting on wood. The material is so thin that the weight of the ball caused it to warp up. Plus it seems the ball skips over it. I'd never installed it if I knew this was going to be the out come. If you don't plays your game much maybe you'll never see the issue. My advise is leave it alone and don't tape metal rings on your playfield.

#40 10 years ago
Quoted from 2RustyBalls:

If you don't plays your game much maybe you'll never see the issue ...

Perhaps, but if you don't play you game much, there is no need for a protector in the first place.

#41 10 years ago

Bummer guys. All my Cliffy stuff is holding up great and doing its job perfectly. However, I only have the scoop, ramp and shooter lane protectors. No magnet rings.

#42 10 years ago

I've got a full set, including the magnet ring, on my Star Trek. No problems so far, but thanks for the info. I'm going to adjust my magnet height to be extra safe.

I must say that I'm brand new to this hobby and I'm really impressed with Cliff's products.

#43 10 years ago

Please, if you want to slander all of Cliff's products, start another thread. My thread is motivated to move forward. Whats done is done.

My magnet is adjusted, but wasnt level with the protector. Only time will tell if the area holds up. In a HUO setting, it may be years till any wear shows up.

About my clearcoat, i disagree...... the clearcoat on my magneto and acdc look just fine, but the met pro is lacking, showing wood grains in the light. The clear doesnt look applied right, thin is the word that comes to mind. It doesnt matter, i like to purchase a new pf for every nib game i buy, this one will not be any different. I will play it as is till the time comes to change it out, my met pro is a keeper, so sale of said game will happen only after i pass.

#44 10 years ago
Quoted from JDubbbs:

Please, if you want to slander all of Cliff's products, start another thread. My thread is motivated to move forward. Whats done is done.
My magnet is adjusted, but wasnt level with the protector. Only time will tell if the area holds up. In a HUO setting, it may be years till any wear shows up.
About my clearcoat, i disagree...... the clearcoat on my magneto and acdc look just fine, but the met pro is lacking, showing wood grains in the light. The clear doesnt look applied right, thin is the word that comes to mind. It doesnt matter, i like to purchase a new pf for every nib game i buy, this one will not be any different. I will play it as is till the time comes to change it out, my met pro is a keeper, so sale of said game will happen only after i pass.

Of the three metallica pro I've had through here, we all felt the clear was extremely think. Sounds like yours was a unique case not the norm.

#45 10 years ago

Here is what I came up with for protecting my magnets. Keep in mind that my machines do not see much use at all. I thought about getting the cliffys, then I figured I would try this. I used my vinyl cutter to make these simple vinyl overlays which when there is signs of wear can be just removed. I tried to color match what is around the magnet to make it look more factory. These don't offer the same thick protection as the cliffys do. What do you guys think?

IMG_1321.JPGIMG_1321.JPG IMG_1322.JPGIMG_1322.JPG IMG_1323.JPGIMG_1323.JPG IMG_1324.JPGIMG_1324.JPG
#46 10 years ago

I think they look great! I'll take a set!

#47 10 years ago

Looks great.

#48 10 years ago

I don't think this is heat related at all, more so the ball stretching the metal on the protector closest to the magnet . It thins out and stretches and has no where to go and causes the curling effect. If it was heat related I feel that amount of heat it would take to warp the stainless would bake the Clear / paint first. A redesign of the protector with expansion slots could prolong the life span of the part. ( 4 slots cut from the inside of the ring almost to the outside edge 3 or 4 thousandth so the stretched metal has a place to go as the ball "dollies" it out thinner.

#49 10 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

You need to get the Goo Gone under the ring, so it can dissolve the glue.
So the part of the ring that has lifted, needs the GG under it.
As more of the ring lifts, add more GG to the newly exposed area.

I would imagine you could use a plastic razor blade or a sharpened credit card under a lifted edge and touch the ring with your soldering iron and slide the blade under as it lifts.
If the ball has fractured the clear under the protector the black ring is going to come up with it no matter what you do.

#50 10 years ago

Cliffy made me one for my x-men that is wide in the stroke of the metal , same thickness but instead of 1/4 wide stroke he made me one with 3/8 width , old one on left new one on right , have not installed it . thinking more surface area for glue to stick 2014-03-31 18.54.07.jpg2014-03-31 18.54.07.jpg

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 1.00
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

7,750 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
St. Louis, MO
$ 55.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room

$ 135.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 4.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 700.00
Hardware
Chrome Candy

Lighting - Interactive
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 9.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Lighting - Interactive
Pinball Z

7,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Hot Springs, AR
$ 10.00
Playfield - Other
Chrome Candy

$ 16.00
Lighting - Other
Slap Save Creations

$ 12.95
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 14.00
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 25.50
Machine - For Sale
Downers Grove, IL
$ 93.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 7.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Z

7,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Elgin, OK
$ 1.29
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 56 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cliffy-magnet-protector-warning and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.