IMG_8848 (resized).jpg
IMG_8846 (resized).jpg
IMG_8844 (resized).jpg
IMG_8845 (resized).jpg
IMG_8841 (resized).jpg
IMG_8842 (resized).jpg
IMG_8843 (resized).jpg

#1 1 year ago

Working on my first pinball. Cleopatra I would like to lightly clean the playfield to make the game playable again.
I am completely new to this, so I apologize if I don't say the right things or use the right words.
See the attached pictures for reference.

There are clear plastic(mylar??) rings under the pop bumpers that need to be replaced.
It looks like there is old adhesive or something stuck to the playfield under them.
Any thoughts on how to clean this up and what the rings are that I need to purchase.
IMG_8846 (resized).jpgIMG_8846 (resized).jpgIMG_8843 (resized).jpgIMG_8843 (resized).jpgIMG_8845 (resized).jpgIMG_8845 (resized).jpg

There are a couple of half circle pieces of plastic stuck on the playfield over worn spots.
I assume I just leave them be. They are not peeling up at all.
IMG_8842 (resized).jpgIMG_8842 (resized).jpgIMG_8841 (resized).jpgIMG_8841 (resized).jpg

Recommendations for sealing/waxing the playfield.

I was going to try and touch up the paint on the playfield, but I think I am just going to leave it be.

Thanks for any suggestions you could provide.

IMG_8844 (resized).jpgIMG_8844 (resized).jpg
#2 1 year ago

The pop bumper rings were originally floating pieces of mylar. They allow dirt to get trapped under them where it grinds into the playfield. Once you take the pops apart, you will likely find that's not adhesive but whatever ink is left clinging to the underside (very common on Gottlieb games).

Replace with ones that are sticky after you clean the area up.

Unless you do a full restore on the PF it would always look like a PF that you touched up. I'd leave it as is.

Pinball Resource sells the pop bumper mylar and likely most other suppliers do as well. The pieces of mylar on your playfield protecting wear used to come with many games to put in front of the slings as that's another high wear area and lots of operators had them in their stashes to 'fix' worn playfields (cleaning and waxing would be asking too much of route techs at the time... lucky to get a dirty rag over the PF every so often. Arcades were much better, the supercade by me growing up the attendant would clean and wax on average one game a day, they had about 30 pins. Video game maintenance was much easier, windex and paper towel.)

#3 1 year ago

What cleaner and wax would be recommended to use on this age of a machine. I'm assuming that most of the discoloring is part of the game now. I don't particularly mind it.

There was old crusty adhesive under the rings. It practically fell off with a straight razor.
Dirty
IMG_8847 (resized).jpgIMG_8847 (resized).jpg
Clean
IMG_8848 (resized).jpgIMG_8848 (resized).jpg

#4 1 year ago
Quoted from Geekdude:

What cleaner and wax would be recommended to use on this age of a machine. I'm assuming that most of the discoloring is part of the game now

Your're doing pretty well with that.
Lots of info here:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cleaning-and-waxing-pinball-machines-vids-guide

#5 1 year ago

Thank you that was very informative. Naphtha and carnauba wax it is.

#6 1 year ago

I've had good results with those areas under the pop bumpers by printing a colored circle with a black outline on adhesive-backed laser printer paper, cutting them out, sticking them over the original painted area, then putting a clear mylar adhesive circle over them. I do the circles in Photoshop, but you could use any graphics program you're comfortable with.

This is an example for a Friendship 7 I was working on. This was how the area under the pop looked originally: No, I did not do the magic marker touch-up!
05 red pop bumper email (resized).jpg05 red pop bumper email (resized).jpg

These are the graphic files I made. Took them to Staples since I don't have a laser printer, and they printed the sheet for less than a dollar, I think:
11 F7 Pop rings (resized).jpg11 F7 Pop rings (resized).jpg

And here it is stuck over the bad area. Clear mylar over it protects it - big improvement. Trying to do that with paint would have been a huge pain.

12 red pop decal on (resized).jpg12 red pop decal on (resized).jpg

2 weeks later
#7 1 year ago

Couple more questions… I need to remove a couple of randomly placed Mylar half circles that are really messing up the flow of the game. Looks like the freeze and goo gone are the method of choice on pinsides. Any concerns with this on this old of a playfield?
Second, realistically how well will Naptha clean this playfield up? I went for a couple hour drive to Wyoming to get some and it defiantly got some grime up. Just not sure how much elbow grease to put into it before I wax it.

#8 1 year ago

It's never going to look like new. The more you clean with harsher things runs the risk of damaging the playfield even more. That being said I would be using Novus 2 on it; carefully.
Then you gotta decide whether you want to paint it or not.

#9 1 year ago

Yeah I don’t have any intention of painting it. I just want it to play the best it can for its condition.

#10 1 year ago

Vid's trick of using the alcohol and flour works extremely well and pretty quickly too.

Every Cleo has just about the same wear, if nit worse, as you have. I can try to dig up some old pics from paint touch ups I tried as my attempt 10 years ago.

To get the playfied clean, and I mean clean, it takes magic reaser and alcohol (90% or higher). You must be careful with this method but nothing beats it.

The great thing about doing acrylic paint touch ups and waxing over is that it's totally reversible. You can wipe the paint of with achohol. Make a mistake? No problem, wipe and try again.

I have an EM Cleo so a fan of the pin.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 7.50
Electronics
That Old Pinball
Electronics
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
Shooter rods
$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist
Protection
$ 89.00
Electronics
That Old Pinball
Electronics
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist
Protection
Cabinet - Other
The Pinball Scientist
Other
$ 4.00
Playfield - Decals
UpKick Pinball
Decals
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cleopatra-bumper-clear-rings-and-other-playfield-questions and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.