Topic Stats

• 9 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by wiredoug
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 7 years ago

Bringing a SS Cleopatra back to life. Installed a Pascal X4 board. Just one issue:

1. Everything boots up & works except for the flippers, pop bumpers, & bottom side bumpers. These are not run by the mpu.

2. Displays indicate SLAM. I jumped the slam on the X4 board; this allows everything to work, except for the coils which do not run from the mpu (flippers, pop bumpers, side bumpers).

3. The slam switches are as they are supposed to be, closed. Tilt switches are open

4. All fuses are good.

5. Q & T have been checked; rectifier has been checked.

I'm wondering if there is a ground problem to the circuit of coils run by the bottom board. Again, everything will work as normal when I jump the slam pins on the X4, but the the bottom board driven coils will not work. I think the circuit that the bottom board driven coils are on believes it is slammed for some reason (ground or something blown on bottom board).

Machine was previously not working, with dead boards. There was a dead & toasted pop-bumper coil I replaced before putting the X4 board in. I also did a re-pin of key connectors to the mpu.

Any help will be appreciated.

#2 7 years ago

Is there voltage at the coils?

#3 7 years ago

No.

#4 7 years ago

Track down why 24vdc is not getting to those coils. Could be a connector issue.

#5 7 years ago
Quoted from LeedsUnited1:

Q & T have been checked;

im guessing not properly cos thats the common point where the power stops.. go back and follow the power through there. also make sure it *is* pulling in q when the game starts

#6 7 years ago
Quoted from wiredoug:

im guessing not properly cos thats the common point where the power stops.. go back and follow the power through there. also make sure it *is* pulling in q when the game starts

Whoops, I missed the bit about the flippers.

To add to what wiredoug said: just because the coil is engaged, it doesn't automatically mean that the switch leafs make contact.

#7 7 years ago

Got it out of "Slam" (org/blk wire that goes between the two slams was not on the correct lug of the switch on the side slam) but still no power to the bottom driven coils. Checked the switch leaves on Q for continuity, they are making contact & giving a good whistle on my mm. Q pulls in like it should. Lighting not great in the garage, so am done for the evening. I'm going to take a look at the wiring on my JP (in the house) for comparison.

I really appreciate the help. I've had this machine sitting on the back burner while I got a few others up. I'm glad to finally be getting to it & am looking forward to getting rolling on it. Again, everything is functioning except for the bottom driven coils.

#8 7 years ago

Got it! Wiredoug was about right, but problem wasn't Q...it was the back switch on T; it was touching really good, but no continuity until I really pressed on it. Pulled it out & gave it another adjustment & everything is good. A couple late evenings at work & away from the machines helped me take the scientific approach. Now I can order playfield stuff & clean it up.

Thanks for the help!

#9 7 years ago

great work well done that man

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 89.00
Electronics
That Old Pinball

Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 4.00
Playfield - Decals
UpKick Pinball

$ 8.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cleopatra-bottom-board-coils-not-firing and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.