Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 322 posts
  • 32 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by Mk1Mod0
  • Topic is favorited by 57 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_5977 (resized).JPG
    IMG_5973 (resized).JPG
    IMG_5972 (resized).JPG
    IMG_5967 (resized).JPG
    20191114_210645.jpg
    image1 (resized).jpeg
    20191113_172810 (resized).jpg
    IMG_1628 (resized).JPG
    IMG_1627 (resized).JPG
    IMG_1626 (resized).JPG
    alive (resized).png
    IMG_1511 (resized).JPG
    IMG_1510 (resized).JPG
    IMG_1507 (resized).JPG
    IMG_1505 (resized).JPG
    IMG_1500 (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Mk1Mod0.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 8 years ago

This project won't get underway in earnest until after TPF, but a fine teaser is in order. Thanks to the extreme generosity of fellow Pinsider Dennis Dodel, I am in receipt of a Golden Gate bingo machine to be converted to acrylic. So far, I have the play field to jump start this project. Over the next couple of weeks I will be disassembling, cleaning and determining the feasibility of it all.
    While similar to the acrylic pinball project, this is an entirely different machine. Thinner play field, more and bigger holes and a sliding trap floor underneath. Oh, and about a 300 pound head. I will also be exploring a different take on the side graphics. Thankfully, while the play can be quite spirited, it's not flipper hit at 80mph spirited. I can keep everything in easy-to-work-with acrylic and leave the hard-to-work-with polycarbonate out of the equation.
    I'll be using new parts when I can and original if I cannot find new. This game is, literally, 3 years older than I so some things may be difficult. The head light board will probably be just as much of a challenge as the play field is. I do relish a challenge. (That is the clearly insane part.) As before, all comments, suggestions and constructive criticisms are welcome! Nothing is settled until it is done, and maybe not even then. Slow but steady progress to begin with. Enjoy the ride!

IMG_6105_(resized).JPGIMG_6105_(resized).JPG

IMG_6108_(resized).JPGIMG_6108_(resized).JPG

#2 8 years ago

Original bulbs??

IMG_6107_(resized).JPGIMG_6107_(resized).JPG

#9 8 years ago
    Quoted from bingopodcast:

Moving a bingo is tough, but assembling a bingo only to realize that the power cord isn't in place? Has to make you laugh (or weep).

I'm sure! Done that with pins as well as the APP. I'm actually considering doing a computer style plug. Not only will it eliminate that problem, it'll give me the base for a service plug to power the LEDs. (I don't even know... did bingos have a service plug?)

#15 8 years ago

Thanks for all the kind words, y'all! Welcome back to the APP fans and welcome to the newcomers.

So, this is new to me. The APP was a lesson in EMs and acrylic construction. This will add in the complexity of a bingo machine. Now, there is a switch in the ball trough. Pretty sure that tells the machine a ball has left and will activate the "ball-a-vator" to rack up another until the switch is once more depressed. Meanwhile, there is a switch in the one way gate at the top of the playfield tripped by a passing ball entering the arc. I would guess it adds a tic to a ball count stepper of some sort? Or lets the ball-a-vator know that the trough is clear now for sending up another ball? Both?
    IMG_6126_(resized).JPGIMG_6126_(resized).JPG
    IMG_6124_(resized).JPGIMG_6124_(resized).JPG

The wires for that switch emerge down here.
    IMG_6134_(resized).JPGIMG_6134_(resized).JPG

#17 8 years ago

Meanwhile, underneath the beast, I have removed the sliding ball holder/dropper sheet. This lets me in on how the game knows where the balls are. Each hole has a switch, ganged by rows, that tells the game it is occupied. The ganged switches are inset into the bottom of the playfield. Well damn. That just eliminated any thoughts I had of reverse printing the graphics on the bottom of the playfield. Kinda leaves me with either painting the keylines, numbers and graphic outlines on top with an autoclear over top or doing the graphics on a thinner pice and laminating it to the piece with the cutouts. Looke like an expiriment is in order.
    IMG_6132_(resized).JPGIMG_6132_(resized).JPG
    IMG_6133_(resized).JPGIMG_6133_(resized).JPG

I wonder if I should up the wattage on this bugger. Looks like it got a little warm, eh?
    IMG_6135_(resized).JPGIMG_6135_(resized).JPG

#19 8 years ago

That switch has two functions:

Got it!

That switch is tricky to adjust, but I believe it is NC and should only open right as the ball passes through the gate.

Yes, set up to be NC.

#20 8 years ago

Prior to 1955(?) they used a simpler leaf switch under each hole which would move with the shutter board.

So the leaf switches were mounted to the shutter board?

#28 8 years ago

Wow. My typos are pretty spectacular these days.

Eh, nobody cares. (OK, so we're all secretly judging you!)

As you can see, the difference is wire bundles for each row. Also may require periodic adjustment.

The wiring runs the same on this game. The $64,000 question is, are those switches NO or NC? The switches on the Golden Gate are NO so if this setup works the same I have a good solution. You know what? Doesn't matter. I can make them NO and it will work. By mounting the switches to the shutter board, the bottom of the play field will remain relatively intact and the graphics will show nicely! Thanks! Great suggestion. May only require a slight adjustment to the cut outs on the new shutter board.

#29 8 years ago

http://www.marcospecialties.com/control/keywordsearch?SEARCH_STRING=180-5054-00

Something like this where I can bend the end of the longer blade at a 90 and then place it like your picture so the ball will close it when it drops in.

1 week later
    #31 8 years ago

Twas just a short pause last weekend because the weather turned spectacularly perfect for.... pouring concrete. After 4 months of busting butt on the all important prep work I was finally ready, the weather was right and the concrete company had an opening. And I was able to convince two sucke... umm great guys from work to come and help lay, push and finish it. #giantkickassdriveway

Back to the game and I have to wonder what in the hay these industrial sized and strength staples are doing there? Seriously. Did the Bally bingo division come across a close-out sale at a furniture manufacturer? These things were tough to remove. (Normal sized staple in the back ground.)
    IMG_6270_(resized).JPGIMG_6270_(resized).JPG

I also had a bit of a time removing the two buttons at the bottom of the play field. I was able to remove one with no problem. The other, not so much. Preliminary research shows nobody carries anything like these. Maybe you bingo guys can point me in the right direction?
    IMG_6272_(resized).JPGIMG_6272_(resized).JPG
    IMG_6271_(resized).JPGIMG_6271_(resized).JPG

After removing the wiring harness and the mech for controlling the shuttle board all that was left was the rows of switches that tell the machine when a ball is in a specific hole. OK! The back is clear of obstructions, time to get busy on the front. It appears that the rails and arch are held to the play field with medium sized nails. Hopefully they come out a little easier than the large staples that held the wire harness in place. The posts will be knocked out from the bottom with a small nail set.

IMG_6275_(resized).JPGIMG_6275_(resized).JPG

1 week later
    #32 8 years ago

Disassembly continues. Removed the apron cards revealing the serial number.
    IMG_6278_(resized).JPGIMG_6278_(resized).JPG

Pried off the apron and the remaining wood surrounds.
    IMG_6277_(resized).JPGIMG_6277_(resized).JPG

The colors were pretty vibrant when first applied back in '62.
    IMG_6282_(resized).JPGIMG_6282_(resized).JPG

Now to remove the rest of the upper hardware. I need a nice flat surface to scan the images from.
    IMG_6284_(resized).JPGIMG_6284_(resized).JPG

#34 8 years ago

Completely stripped. Ready for cleaning and scanning.
    IMG_6286_(resized).JPGIMG_6286_(resized).JPG

#36 8 years ago

Shopping day! The second of my two less-than-contractor-grade garage lights finally went kaput so I used the occasion to get a couple of 4 light shop lights. I can see with the door closed again! The first stop, of course, was the plastics shop where I get my raw material. One quarter sheet of 1/4" and a quarter sheet of 1/2". I also remembered to pick up a 72" straight edge that I meant to get two years ago. The 1/2" will become the playfield and the 1/4" will be the shuttle board.
    IMG_6292_(resized).JPGIMG_6292_(resized).JPG

Later, I took some preliminary measurements of hole sizes. I also took note of the angle of the hole edges. 12.5 degrees or so...
    IMG_6295_(resized).JPGIMG_6295_(resized).JPG

A few early scans. These will be broken down into line drawings for simplicity's sake.
    PTDC0003_(resized).JPGPTDC0003_(resized).JPG
    PTDC0005_(resized).JPGPTDC0005_(resized).JPG
    PTDC0001_(resized).JPGPTDC0001_(resized).JPG

#40 8 years ago

First attempt. Waaay too slow. Need a boatload more RPMs.

WP_20160204_09_19_28_Pro_(resized).jpgWP_20160204_09_19_28_Pro_(resized).jpg

#41 8 years ago

There. That's much better.

WP_20160204_10_37_55_Pro_(resized).jpgWP_20160204_10_37_55_Pro_(resized).jpg

#44 8 years ago

Thanks! Yeah, I was gonna say one down 24 to go, but it's just a test piece. Doing a little proof of concept before I move to the real piece. Large cuts and light edging tomorrow.

#45 8 years ago

Play field plus side rails and inner shooter lane rail.

IMG_6301_(resized).JPGIMG_6301_(resized).JPG

Shuttle board.

IMG_6302_(resized).JPGIMG_6302_(resized).JPG

Forstner city.

IMG_6303_(resized).JPGIMG_6303_(resized).JPG

#47 8 years ago

Everybody remembers what this thing is for, right? I'm actually very happy I found it as it took three tries to get it right the first time... (Must be the new shop lights!)
    IMG_6306_(resized).JPGIMG_6306_(resized).JPG

#48 8 years ago

Unlike the last play field, this one has a lot of pressed in parts. Easy in wood which compresses well, not so much in acrylic. If the hole is too big, it will pop back out. Too small and I run the risk of a crack as it gets hammered in. ("Is this a robbery?" "No... its a science experiment!")
    These are the parts I'll need to secure.
    IMG_6308_(resized).JPGIMG_6308_(resized).JPG

Next I'll get a piece of leftover material and drill a succession of holes to try.
    IMG_6310_(resized).JPGIMG_6310_(resized).JPG

As predicted, one size is too large and the next down too small. With this pin, I found if I wobbled the bit just a touch, it could be hammered in without too much effort but tight enough that it won't come back out easily. Getting it back out required enough effort to convince me.
    IMG_6311_(resized).JPGIMG_6311_(resized).JPG

#49 8 years ago

These pins seemed to hammer into the next hole up quite well with no wobbling. Perfect! This is a pic of the pin sinking into the biggest hole. 3/16" was the sweet spot.
    IMG_6312_(resized).JPGIMG_6312_(resized).JPG

Finally, the majority of the post screws are #6 with a few #8 thrown in on the longer reaches. I already have extensive notes on those. Easy day.
    IMG_6313_(resized).JPGIMG_6313_(resized).JPG

#51 8 years ago

So it's a multi-part process. As before, i'll mate the old play field with the acrylic piece and use a following bit to "trace" the outline. Next, I'll use appropriately sized bits to locate all of the holes. Then it is on to the drill press to run out the 26 big holes with a 1 3/16" forstner bit. (SLOOOOOOOWLY) We'll do this at a low speed so as not to heat up the plastic and get that white clumpy crap you see on the edges here. These bits cut a flat bottomed hole so there is no where for the heat to dissipate. Slow cutting makes for a neat hole.
    IMG_6315_(resized).JPGIMG_6315_(resized).JPG

Once those are all drilled, we'll clamp the acrylic piece to the bench and ream out the beveling at the edges. We'll do this with a cabinetry shaper bit that is slightly modified.
    IMG_6316_(resized).JPGIMG_6316_(resized).JPG

Normally, this bit would have a small bearing on its bottom and it would be mounted in a shaper table. You would then run wood cabinet faces across it for that raised panel look. My good buddy Bill precision cut me a piece of aircraft aluminum exactly the same size as the hole and then drilled out the center on the lathe just enough so it would press fit onto the bearing of the bit.
    IMG_6318_(resized).JPGIMG_6318_(resized).JPG

This gives me a perfect guide on the bit to fit my needs. Since this cut needs high speed, I will now mount it into my plunge router. The aluminum plug centers me on the hole and then I will set the plunge depth on a few test holes. Once that is set, I simply plunge it (VERY carefully) on the 25 holes and voila it is done! Sounds easy, doesn't it?
    IMG_6320_(resized).JPGIMG_6320_(resized).JPG

#54 8 years ago

Forgot I had yet to remove the inserts. (All 2 of them.)
    IMG_6369_(resized).JPGIMG_6369_(resized).JPG
    IMG_6371_(resized).JPGIMG_6371_(resized).JPG

This time I'll secure the donor to the new with some #6 beveled head screws. That way I have no issues with anything poking out of either side of the sandwich. The holes I drilled for them (in the acrylic) will get redrilled slightly larger for the pins that will eventually go there.
    IMG_6372_(resized).JPGIMG_6372_(resized).JPG
    IMG_6373_(resized).JPGIMG_6373_(resized).JPG

#56 8 years ago

After mounting a 1/2" following bit in the router, I'll clamp the sandwich to the work table and run the edges all the way around. The guys at the plastic shop did a great job taking my dimensions and adding just an eighth more for the cuts. The edge gets a nice smooth shave and all the saw marks go away.
    IMG_6375_(resized).JPGIMG_6375_(resized).JPG
    IMG_6376_(resized).JPGIMG_6376_(resized).JPG
    IMG_6378_(resized).JPGIMG_6378_(resized).JPG

There's a small cut out to be made where the ball lift is. I'll make a starter hole large enough to drop the router bit through and then run it around.
    IMG_6380_(resized).JPGIMG_6380_(resized).JPG
    IMG_6381_(resized).JPGIMG_6381_(resized).JPG

#57 8 years ago

After chucking up the 1 3/16" forstner into my cordless, I went ahead and center marked all of the big holes. I used a 7/8" bit to do the same to the light shroud holes. I then predrilled every other hole on the board with appropriately sized bits. The final holes were drilled where my screws had held the 2 pieces together.
    IMG_6382_(resized).JPGIMG_6382_(resized).JPG
    IMG_6384_(resized).JPGIMG_6384_(resized).JPG

Now we'll move over to the drill press to get us some nice straight holes.
    IMG_6385_(resized).JPGIMG_6385_(resized).JPG

This is the bottom piece of a drilled hole. For those who have never used these kind of bits, this is how it works.
    IMG_6386_(resized).JPGIMG_6386_(resized).JPG

This is as far as I got today. Slow and steady makes for good work. I did set up the cabinet bit onto the plunge router to test out the hole bevel maker only to discover that the bit is too large to fit through the base plate of the router. I'll get around this by simply removing the base while I make these holes.
    IMG_6384_(resized).JPGIMG_6384_(resized).JPG

IMG_6388_(resized).JPGIMG_6388_(resized).JPG

#59 8 years ago

Sort of, but not really. See the little ribbon coming up off of the disc? That's where the blades have scraped away the hole bit by bit. It all comes our as a long crinkled ribbon. At the same time the two blades are scraping out the hole, there are teeth around the edge clearing that part. At the bottom of the hole, the edge will break through the bottom before it's scraped away leaving a little thin disc.

2 weeks later
    #61 8 years ago

Not much to report at this point. I am in full repair/clean/wax/pack mode for TPF in just two short weeks. I did receive a big ol' box of love for the new play field. Shiny new stuff!!! (Thanks, Dennis!)
    IMG_6580_(resized).JPGIMG_6580_(resized).JPG

And for those of you not watching the APP page, I'm moving forward with the new and improved back glass. (Bye-bye, decals!!) This technique should give you a good idea of how the playfield here will be done...
    IMG_6576_(resized).JPGIMG_6576_(resized).JPG
    IMG_6579_(resized).JPGIMG_6579_(resized).JPG

3 weeks later
    #62 8 years ago

It's the weekend after TPF and I am sick as a dog! Meanwhile I have boxes of new stuff and a bingo carcass from which to pattern out the new acrylic cab that was sent down from St Louis. Special thanks to fellow Pinsider finnflash who was gracious enough to transport the game to TPF where he and I transferred it to my trailer for its' final journey down to Corpus Christi. The lower cab is kinda small. Almost... cute? The upper head, however, is quite the heavy beast. This project is starting to really shape up. Pics tomorrow if I get to feeling better.

#63 8 years ago

Dispatches from St Louis - forgive me if I get the nomenclature wrong. I just think that "ball-a-vator" sounds MUCH better than ball lifting and cradling doohickey. Right? Anyways - shiny objects!!!

I know what these are. These are NOS legs. Wrapped with a Chi-town trib dated 1979. How cool is that?
    IMG_6956_(resized).JPGIMG_6956_(resized).JPG

And this is an NOS lockdown bar. B-E-A-Utiful!
    IMG_6957_(resized).JPGIMG_6957_(resized).JPG

This? I have no idea what this is. Anybody?
    IMG_6958_(resized).JPGIMG_6958_(resized).JPG

These are a combo of side rails and glass channels. One runs outside of the case and over the glass, the other inside the case and under the glass. As I was discovering how this works by looking at it on the carcass cabinet I heard the moviephone guy in my head... "In a world without cheap and readily available injection molded plastics,..." Anyways, it looks like I got 2 lefts and one right. Or maybe 1 left and 2 rights. You make the call.
    IMG_6959_(resized).JPGIMG_6959_(resized).JPG
    IMG_6960_(resized).JPGIMG_6960_(resized).JPG
    IMG_6961_(resized).JPGIMG_6961_(resized).JPG

#67 8 years ago
    Quoted from DennisDodel:

I would keep them stainless.

Absolutely.

Quoted from DennisDodel:

Looks like I sent you an extra inside rail.

Yup. They were stuck together pretty tightly.

#68 8 years ago
    Quoted from SteveinTexas:

I believe that the shorter metal piece is the inside front rail,

Got it!
    IMG_6976_(resized).JPGIMG_6976_(resized).JPG

#69 8 years ago

The cabinet joinery on this machine is different and truthfully easier to reproduce than that in the APP. I can do it with the router and not need the shaper table.
    IMG_6963_(resized).JPGIMG_6963_(resized).JPG

Here's the back of the lower cabinet where the head rests. I'll take this over the balancing act of a pinball head all day long.
    IMG_6965_(resized).JPGIMG_6965_(resized).JPG

Here's that two piece glass channel in action. Interesting.
    IMG_6966_(resized).JPGIMG_6966_(resized).JPG

Yeah. Sure!
    IMG_6968_(resized).JPGIMG_6968_(resized).JPG

#73 8 years ago

So now we delve into the head. My master carpenter buddy at work asked me if it was as complicated a machine as the APP. I said imagine an Enigma machine stuffed into a 2' X 2' box...
    IMG_6984_(resized).JPGIMG_6984_(resized).JPG
    IMG_6985_(resized).JPGIMG_6985_(resized).JPG
    IMG_6986_(resized).JPGIMG_6986_(resized).JPG
    IMG_6987_(resized).JPGIMG_6987_(resized).JPG

#75 8 years ago

The wife walked into the garage and stated "it looks like Steampunk threw up!" Yup. Something like that. Anyways, things are progressing as I am getting all the measurements and patterning down so I can calculate up the amount of material I'll need. All of the casing is constructed of 3/4" ply. The light board in the head is 1/2".

The "ball-o-vator."

IMG_6982_(resized).JPGIMG_6982_(resized).JPG

147 light bulbs and sockets. Give or take.
    IMG_6983_(resized).JPGIMG_6983_(resized).JPG

Back corners with leg bolt mounts. Standard looking stuff. If I'm smart, this will be done BEFORE I install the pieces above it. Hmmm...
    IMG_6970_(resized).JPGIMG_6970_(resized).JPG
    IMG_6969_(resized).JPGIMG_6969_(resized).JPG

#78 8 years ago
    Quoted from Zitt:

One of these days.... there will be Transparent Aluminum... but until then... Leg brackets will be fuggly.

Probably going to go a little more modern this time...
    IMG_3288_(resized).JPGIMG_3288_(resized).JPG

7 months later
    #80 7 years ago

Santa's workshop is open again...

WP_20161125_10_39_58_Pro (resized).jpgWP_20161125_10_39_58_Pro (resized).jpg

#81 7 years ago

Well it's late November and "winter" has come to south Texas. 75F today. Best break out the long johns and gloves!

I finished drilling out the 26 holes and putting on the beveled edge. I had to go ahead and drill the first part with the forstner bit by hand. A bit daunting but I managed to get through.
    IMG_8567 (resized).JPGIMG_8567 (resized).JPG
    IMG_8565 (resized).JPGIMG_8565 (resized).JPG

Next was to mount up my beveling rig in the plunge router. I did have to remove the bottom plate due to the size of the bit being bigger than the hole. This won't effect anything. Just means I'm setting it down on the magnesium frame instead of the nice smooth plastic. With the paper protecting the acrylic this should not be an issue.
    IMG_8572 (resized).JPGIMG_8572 (resized).JPG

I set the plunge depth by putting the rig in the actual play field. I won't duplicate it, but it will be pretty darn close!
    IMG_8562 (resized).JPGIMG_8562 (resized).JPG
    IMG_8563 (resized).JPGIMG_8563 (resized).JPG
    IMG_8560 (resized).JPGIMG_8560 (resized).JPG

#82 7 years ago

Once I had the depth set all I had to do was set the home made bearing into each hole and plunge away.
    IMG_8566 (resized).JPGIMG_8566 (resized).JPG

Boom. Voila. Ding! Ding! Ding! Consistent result every. single. time.

Where does that get me? Here. Right where I wanna be.
    IMG_8575 (resized).JPGIMG_8575 (resized).JPG

A quick money shot for you bingo guys....
    IMG_8574 (resized).JPGIMG_8574 (resized).JPG

Shawn

#85 7 years ago
    Quoted from flynnibus:

I think airbrushing transparent paints with printed stencils could be an interesting attempt at the art.

Noted and mulled over. I'm doing little experiments right now to see what looks good and what does not. Much more complicated art than the last project. Results will be posted...

1 week later
    #86 7 years ago

Progress, slow but sure. This weekend was indoor weather so we are working on the artwork. Refining images and determining transfer methods. Last weekend I continued with the under play field parts and finished drilling out the sliding ball drop.
    IMG_8613 (resized).JPGIMG_8613 (resized).JPG

Doesn't look like much with the paper still on it but I am learning from my last one to wait until the last minute to avoid the inevitable scratches. Hopefully.

Next will be this piece. Then it will be off to the plastic store for a couple of sheets.
    IMG_8610 (resized).JPGIMG_8610 (resized).JPG

1 week later
    #87 7 years ago

It's a beautiful day in the workshop this morning. Sunny, breezy, warm. Perfect for this delicate bit of routing.

WP_20161217_10_48_37_Pro (resized).jpgWP_20161217_10_48_37_Pro (resized).jpg

WP_20161217_10_48_51_Pro (resized).jpgWP_20161217_10_48_51_Pro (resized).jpg

#88 7 years ago

Getting there. Only one major bit of work left for this part...

WP_20161217_12_25_25_Pro (resized).jpgWP_20161217_12_25_25_Pro (resized).jpg

WP_20161217_12_25_15_Pro (resized).jpgWP_20161217_12_25_15_Pro (resized).jpg

#90 7 years ago

My neighborhood is, thank goodness. We only had to go 24hrs without water use but I'm a prepper from waaay back so we had no want for anything. Other folk, not so much. The funniest part is the whole story coming out now... the first reports about it were in Nov.

#91 7 years ago

Well, in the words of Matthew MacConaughey, "all right, all right, all right, all right!!" It's all here now. I got in a 1/4 sheet of 1/2" for the light panel in the head.
    WP_20161223_09_18_58_Pro[1] (resized).jpgWP_20161223_09_18_58_Pro[1] (resized).jpg

And this would be everything I need for the cabs, upper and lower. There is a full 4' X 8' sheet of 3/4" along with three "drops" of the same. A drop is what my plastics guy calls a large piece leftover from another project. They are hard to sell so I get them for the 1/2" price. I get a discount, he moves stock.
    WP_20161223_09_21_20_Pro[1] (resized).jpgWP_20161223_09_21_20_Pro[1] (resized).jpg
    WP_20161223_09_21_45_Pro[1] (resized).jpgWP_20161223_09_21_45_Pro[1] (resized).jpg

#92 7 years ago

So as I was delving into starting the cabinetry on this project, I remembered I hadn't finished last week's mess. It turns out that the ball track on the APP is steeper and shorter than the one on the bingo. I'm guessing that this makes for better finesse shots. Bingo players? Care to weigh in? Anyways, that fact necessitated making a new version of the ball track jig. The new one looks something like this:
    WP_20161217_15_24_40_Pro (resized).jpgWP_20161217_15_24_40_Pro (resized).jpg

Here's a comparison of the new and old ball tracks. New above and several old practice runs near the bottom.
    WP_20161223_16_20_13_Pro (resized).jpgWP_20161223_16_20_13_Pro (resized).jpg

Ahh. Better when this cut is done. Always a little bit scary!
    WP_20161223_16_34_35_Pro (resized).jpgWP_20161223_16_34_35_Pro (resized).jpg

Since I do not have a great table saw and I hate taking stuff to work to cut, I do a rough cut with my sabre saw and then finish the edge with a router. This way I get a highly accurate cut with almost perfect edges. Hardly any sanding needed. When doing a corner cut like this, I will clamp the already completed cut to prevent a crack from forming.
    WP_20161223_15_54_43_Pro (resized).jpgWP_20161223_15_54_43_Pro (resized).jpg

#93 7 years ago

After measuring 5 or 6 times because I can only cut once, I have my first lower cab side. Tar-dar!! The "snow" on the ground is likely the only "snow" you will ever see at my place. Should be 80 on Sunday.
    WP_20161223_17_08_07_Pro (resized).jpgWP_20161223_17_08_07_Pro (resized).jpg
    WP_20161223_17_10_36_Pro (resized).jpgWP_20161223_17_10_36_Pro (resized).jpg

#94 7 years ago

You "money shot" for the day. You're welcome!
    WP_20161223_16_39_13_Pro (resized).jpgWP_20161223_16_39_13_Pro (resized).jpg

#96 7 years ago

Golden gate uses 1 1/8" vs a standard 1 1/16" ball.

Well! That's news to me... another question that has been festering in the back of my mind is how many balls are in one of these?

#99 7 years ago

Originally, there were non- magnetic brass balls installed.

To keep folks from using a large magnet to position the balls through the glass? Never thought about that! Or just to keep them from getting magnetized and changing the behavior of the balls? Both?

Golden gate used 8 balls.

Seems I'll need more and bigger balls!

#100 7 years ago

Managed to get spare time on last Monday which is a federal holiday for me. I was able to get the other side of the lower cabinet rough cut out and then stacked the two and used a flush cut bit to clean it up. I hope to have the lower end and coin door sides cut out and ready by Friday when I will take them in to work and do the locking miter joint on our shaper jig. I got the thing tuned the other day and it looks terrific.

WP_20161226_10_55_24_Pro (resized).jpgWP_20161226_10_55_24_Pro (resized).jpg

WP_20161226_11_02_11_Pro (resized).jpgWP_20161226_11_02_11_Pro (resized).jpg

WP_20161226_11_08_14_Pro (resized).jpgWP_20161226_11_08_14_Pro (resized).jpg

#102 7 years ago

Awesome! Learn something new every day! Here's a shot of my test runs for the cabinetry. The corners of the acrylic pin were simple 45s done with a table saw. That made for horrific joints which needed a ton of sanding to prepare for the gluing. To combat that and make it ever more accurate to the original, I have since gotten a locking miter joint bit that I used in making other wood cases. One side acrylic, the other plywood. (Just for show/testing.) This is going to work just swell.

IMG_8693 (resized).JPGIMG_8693 (resized).JPG

#105 7 years ago
    Quoted from flynnibus:

will the narrow sections weaken the acrylic?

Only while unassembled. The joining technique actually welds the pieces together and they become just as strong as a fully thick piece. What the joint does is give more surface area for the glue to act upon.

Quoted from flynnibus:

Why not make the tongue shallower

It's a one-pass deal. The bit that creates the joint is not adjustable. And aside from that, it is not as delicate as you may think. I have run off a few long slices of 1/4 while trimming up the sheets and they are not easy to snap. This stuff is tough and heavy. (Just the outer casing with no guts, play field or mechanisms is 200 pounds.)

IMG_2643 (resized).JPGIMG_2643 (resized).JPG

#106 7 years ago
    Quoted from CaptainNeo:

looking great. Another huge project.

Thanks! Just happy I could finally get back to it.

#109 7 years ago
    Quoted from browne92:

I don't know if you're going to be able to get cement completely down into that joint, but if you manage to, it should be hell for strong with all that surface area.

I'll be using a different compound for those joints. You're correct, the capillary action required for the cement I usually use will not work there. I will still use it in other places as its greatest advantage is that the parts are already assembled when the glue goes in. The weldment I will be using on the mitered corners has a longer set time, is said not to craze and is supposed to cure "bubble free." We shall see. And yes, it should be monstrously strong.

#110 7 years ago
    Quoted from flynnibus:

Do you have a lifetime membership at the router bit club now? I know sharp,bits is huge and you must have put crazy hours on your gear

I have a lifetime membership in the frugality club! Does that count? I found over the years that letting the bit do the work will make it last pretty long. Lots of patience with the process and occasional maintenance(cleaning) keep it going way past the average user. But then you're talking to a guy with a 22 year old washer/dryer set, 15 year old refrigerator and an inkjet printer bought in 2001 that still makes beautiful pictures. I drive my cars until the wheels fall off and don't get me started on some of my tools. The trick is keeping them cool. Heat is the biggest enemy of anything sharp.

That being said, I destroyed that beautiful miter-lock joint bit this afternoon by being stupid. You can't cure stupid. More on that after dinner.

#112 7 years ago

So any of you who followed the last thread know I tend to advertise my failures as much as my successes because that's how we learn. After a long hard day of work I told myself to just go home and relax. But, we had already set up the shaper machine and the material was in my car, ready to go... Here's the machine, bit set. Extra high single piece fence. Vacuum connected. Ready.
    WP_20161230_16_19_06_Pro (resized).jpgWP_20161230_16_19_06_Pro (resized).jpg

Here is how the cut goes for the end pieces. Up against the fence with an additional piece to help guide it through and keep it tight on the fence. Notice the little square added on the tail end to aid in the pushing...
    WP_20161230_16_52_52_Pro (resized).jpgWP_20161230_16_52_52_Pro (resized).jpg

Problem is I did not allow for the screws holding it down to hit the bit on the way out. I could not find any handy flush screws to use so I grabbed some self-tappers with hex heads. No problem except for that bottom one.
    WP_20161230_17_06_29_Pro (resized).jpgWP_20161230_17_06_29_Pro (resized).jpg

Bottom line: no human parts or acrylic pieces were harmed, but the bit is toast. ALWAYS check your clearances.

#113 7 years ago
    Quoted from flynnibus:

I just had a hell of a time getting my bits to last cutting through hard wood (oak). I switched my material to pine just to keep things in check.

Well, that will do it. The harder the wood the more abuse they get. It is especially hard on the bits if you are cutting a slot where the bit is making contact over 3/4 of its' diameter. Multiple, slow passes is the only way. It takes more time, but... it will last longer in the end.

Quoted from flynnibus:

Trying to cut 1/4 slots for frames was difficult to get any reasonable depth per pass

Depends on what you call reasonable. 1/16 to 1/8 inch per pass on a slot cut is tough in any wood, especially oak. So you line up a bunch of pieces and make a pass. Reset the depth another little bit and make the next. And so on and so forth. Trying to get it in one or two passes is hard on the bits and the machine.

Like everything else in life, accomplishing a given task requires two things: 1) Time 2) Money
    If you do not have a lot of one, you best have a boat load of the other...

#115 7 years ago

The new bit is in and cabinet cutting will resume shortly. Meanwhile, I needed to clear out some of the gear in the head to get a better look at the construction. Seems it is all connected. ALL of it. NO plugs! Challenge accepted!
    IMG_8706 (resized).JPGIMG_8706 (resized).JPG

#gutted
    IMG_8715 (resized).JPGIMG_8715 (resized).JPG

#116 7 years ago

I'm also thinking that the light sockets that have pointy ends pounded into the wood may be a challenge. I'll have to remove one to see if there is a way to screw them into the acrylic.

#117 7 years ago

A tale of two faces...

WP_20170105_14_52_56_Pro (resized).jpgWP_20170105_14_52_56_Pro (resized).jpg

#118 7 years ago

Now it's starting to look like a project.

WP_20170105_17_33_26_Pro (resized).jpgWP_20170105_17_33_26_Pro (resized).jpg

WP_20170105_17_32_56_Pro (resized).jpgWP_20170105_17_32_56_Pro (resized).jpg

WP_20170105_17_33_10_Pro (resized).jpgWP_20170105_17_33_10_Pro (resized).jpg

#120 7 years ago

Too damn much?

Quoted from dasvis:Any guess as to what this thing will weigh when fully assembled?

Too damn much? Calculating as I go. Will keep a running tally.

A bit chilly outside. A good day to work indoor s.

WP_20170107_08_48_53_Pro (resized).jpgWP_20170107_08_48_53_Pro (resized).jpg

#123 7 years ago

Mother nature has me down hard for the couple of days so ill work on the computer side when I am able and not meds-addled. The new bond has arrived..

WP_20170111_12_19_19_Pro (resized).jpgWP_20170111_12_19_19_Pro (resized).jpg

1 week later
    #124 7 years ago

Playing in the big boy shop today.

WP_20170121_11_34_31_Pro (resized).jpgWP_20170121_11_34_31_Pro (resized).jpg

#125 7 years ago

And here's all the parts for the upper can / head.

WP_20170121_16_21_16_Pro (resized).jpgWP_20170121_16_21_16_Pro (resized).jpg

#126 7 years ago

VERY productive day today. I took it all in to the big boy shop and got busy. All major cabinet parts, upper and lower, have been cut, trimmed and the miters have been done. Fit is excellent. I also cut out the holes in the back of the lower cab and the bottom of the upper where the wire harnesses pass through. Next I cut pieces for the play field and ball collection supports. The only major cut left is the coin door and the ventilation slots atop the head. There are a few more interior pieces to be made and then its on to the boring stuff. (Edging, polishing, drilling for bolt holes, etc.) Once that's done I can start assembling. THAT is the fun part!

1 month later
    #128 7 years ago
    Quoted from RyanClaytor:

.nothing big, just corrective hernia stuff.

Yeah, I caught that excuse over in the Jumbo thread. (How cool is THAT machine!??) I did a double a couple years ago. Wimp.

It goes well! Knee deep in the boring stuff as previously mentioned and looking forward to the end of it. Assembly is way funner! Then at some point it will be up to me and my generous benefactor as to how we will fill the cabinet out with working parts. This thing is going to weigh a ton. Tearing into the acrylic pin this past weekend only drove that point home. TPF 2018 should be my first working show with a booth, two acrylic machines and a product line and everything! Meanwhile I'll be hitting up ZapCon in Phoenix in late April. Looking to be a full year.

So how is life in the great white north? (75 here today) I am really looking forward to seeing the arcade game you guys are building come to fruition. Fortunately we are all too busy to be able to finish projects in a reasonable amount of time. Wouldn't have it any other way.

3 weeks later
    #130 7 years ago

Back on track, folks and we're here to the finish. Took stock and inventory this weekend to see what parts had yet to be created. Nothing left but a few odds and ends. So we are moving on to placing the graphics and then assembly.

This lower level collects the balls after they have been released from the play field holes and runs them back to be loaded in the ball-o-vator.
    WP_20170402_14_52_54_Pro (resized).jpgWP_20170402_14_52_54_Pro (resized).jpg

The head.
    WP_20170402_15_11_54_Pro (resized).jpgWP_20170402_15_11_54_Pro (resized).jpg

And cabinet base.
    WP_20170402_15_12_10_Pro (resized).jpgWP_20170402_15_12_10_Pro (resized).jpg

#134 7 years ago

Spent most of the weekend on O/T at the day job but managed to get a little time in on it. The coin door opening is a two step process. First, I'll cut through the panel for the part of the door that goes all the way through.

WP_20170409_14_47_40_Pro (resized).jpgWP_20170409_14_47_40_Pro (resized).jpg

Next I will use a 1/2" router bit with a 1/4" bearing to cut the edge run. It will come out something like this -
    WP_20170409_14_47_22_Pro (resized).jpgWP_20170409_14_47_22_Pro (resized).jpg

Once that is finished I will make the necessary cuts to fit the back steps into the lower cab.
    WP_20170409_14_58_07_Pro (resized).jpgWP_20170409_14_58_07_Pro (resized).jpg

Once those are ready, I will trim the top of the cab sides for the rail pieces that go there. Once completed, I will go ahead and do the side graphics. I finally figured out just how I am going to do them. Should be either very cool and interesting or a complete hot mess. We'll see! When the graphics are completed I will go ahead and attach the side supports for the playfield and ball collection level and then assemble it. Slowly but surely it is getting there.

Shawn

4 weeks later
    #136 6 years ago
    Quoted from flynnibus:

Id kike to see transparent colored gels/vinyl as the graphics.

I actually looked into this option with some samples from one of my plastic suppliers. Had some promise, but too many things in the way.

#137 6 years ago

Got to tool up yesterday and got busy trimming out the back steps to fit flush in the case. We'll start by breaking out a rabbet bit set with a couple of different sized bearings so I can make consistent depths of cut.
    IMG_9119 (resized).JPGIMG_9119 (resized).JPG

I'll set a basic depth of cut based on measurements taken on the case to give me a starting point. I'll make test cuts in a piece of scrap to make sure I am getting what I want and need.
    IMG_9120 (resized).JPGIMG_9120 (resized).JPG

Once it is set correctly, I will go ahead and make the cut in the sides of the cab first.
    IMG_9122 (resized).JPGIMG_9122 (resized).JPG

#138 6 years ago

Once the cuts were completed with the rabbeting bit I had to rechuck to a 1/8" straight bit to finish out the corners.
    IMG_9124 (resized).JPGIMG_9124 (resized).JPG

I just had to set the depth and slowly eliminate the curved area left behind by the other bit.
    IMG_9123 (resized).JPGIMG_9123 (resized).JPG

All better!
    IMG_9125 (resized).JPGIMG_9125 (resized).JPG

#139 6 years ago

Now that both sides are cut and cleaned up I need to reset to the rabbet bit to make the companion cuts on the step. Again, I'll use a piece of scrap to match up my first scratch piece to make sure it is right.
    IMG_9127 (resized).JPGIMG_9127 (resized).JPG

With luck, practice and some minor adjustments I'll end up with a flush match.
    IMG_9129 (resized).JPGIMG_9129 (resized).JPG

2 weeks later
    #141 6 years ago
    Quoted from dasvis:

Damn that thing is going to be super heavy.

Super heavy, indeed. Got back on it today after a short break full of overtime and broken pool pumps. (When the pool looks like a bass pond, mama ain't happy. And when mama ain't happy, well, you know... )

When I finished up a couple weeks ago I had fit the first step on the backside of the lower cab. Came out pretty nicely.
    IMG_9131 (resized).JPGIMG_9131 (resized).JPG
    IMG_9130 (resized).JPGIMG_9130 (resized).JPG

Next I need to cut a couple of slots and do more work with the rabbet bit to fit the second step. This is the piece and cut I need to mimic.
    IMG_9224 copy (resized).jpgIMG_9224 copy (resized).jpg

This shot is a test of the slot going through a test cut of the rabbet. The rabbet cut was performed and I am test fitting it in the slot.
    IMG_9226 (resized).JPGIMG_9226 (resized).JPG

#142 6 years ago

Next I marked out the lines for my slot cuts using measurements off the panel that would go there.
    IMG_9223 (resized).JPGIMG_9223 (resized).JPG

Now it is just a matter of setting up a clamped fence to guide the router with the 1/4" straight bit. I'll make the cut in two passes. The total depth of the cut is 3/8" which will generate an awful lot of heat if done in a single pass. After the initial pass I'll reset the bit's depth against the side of the panel that will go in that slot.
    IMG_9235 (resized).JPGIMG_9235 (resized).JPG

Once the second pass is complete, I'll clean out any debris and perform a test fit.
    IMG_9231 (resized).JPGIMG_9231 (resized).JPG

So far, so good. The next task will be to cut the slots for the glass channels and round over the tops of the sides to accommodate the steel channel guides. I will also drill the holes for the securing bolts that hold the head to the lower cab. After that will come the graphics and support structures that go on the inside of the sides. Then, finally, I will assemble and glue the pieces together and get on with building the head.
    IMG_9242 (resized).JPGIMG_9242 (resized).JPG
    IMG_9239 (resized).JPGIMG_9239 (resized).JPG
    IMG_9238 (resized).JPGIMG_9238 (resized).JPG

IMG_9223 (resized).JPGIMG_9223 (resized).JPG

#145 6 years ago

Another day at it, full steam ahead. And by full steam I mean as soon as I walked outside this morning my glasses fogged over. Ugh, I hate this time of year.

I decided to go with the holes before the slot cut because its easier. "Easier." Sure. Step one, mark out the locations and dummy proof the directions. (Impossible, but I try!)
    IMG_9243 (resized).JPGIMG_9243 (resized).JPG
    IMG_9244 (resized).JPGIMG_9244 (resized).JPG

We'll start with a pilot hole since my marks are on the outside and the tee-nuts will go on the inside. So to speak. Don't you just love refraction?
    IMG_9246 (resized).JPGIMG_9246 (resized).JPG

After drilling my tee-nut pocket on the inside with a forstner bit I drilled out the center all the way through at a 1/2" so the tee-nut would fit. I drilled a hole the size of the bolt in a piece of scrap and then joined them with the hardware to ensure my pocket was deep enough to engage all of the threads.
    IMG_9251 (resized).JPGIMG_9251 (resized).JPG
    IMG_9253 (resized).JPGIMG_9253 (resized).JPG

Finished with the vertical step. The three shallow holes are to let the cabs mate flush where there are three corresponding bolt heads on the head.
    IMG_9254 (resized).JPGIMG_9254 (resized).JPG
    IMG_9255 (resized).JPGIMG_9255 (resized).JPG

I repeated this process to the horizontal step. It's getting there... progress slow but sure.
    IMG_9257 (resized).JPGIMG_9257 (resized).JPG

#146 6 years ago

Now it's time to cut the slots for the play field glass. The original is 1/2" by 1/2" but I am uncomfortable with leaving only 3/16" of material outside the slot. I'll be ordering the glass custom sized eventually anyways, so I split the difference and made the channel 3/8" deep leaving 5/16" on the outside. That will help me sleep better. This is the channel I'll be cutting.
    IMG_9260 (resized).JPGIMG_9260 (resized).JPG
    IMG_9259 (resized).JPGIMG_9259 (resized).JPG

The channel I'll end up with will be 1/2" across and 3/8" deep. My biggest bit is 3/8" so I'll cut the slot in three passes. The first will be half the depth by the width of the bit. So 3/16 by 3/8". For pass #2 I'll increase the depth to the full 3/8". The third pass will be full depth with my guide offset by 1/8". As usual, I'll be making test cuts first in a piece of similarly sized plywood.
    IMG_9266 (resized).JPGIMG_9266 (resized).JPG
    IMG_9263 (resized).JPGIMG_9263 (resized).JPG

See why I do practice cuts? LOL Here's one side with my "fence guide" attached, first pass completed.
    IMG_9267 (resized).JPGIMG_9267 (resized).JPG

End results, one down one to go!
    IMG_9272 (resized).JPGIMG_9272 (resized).JPG
    IMG_9271 (resized).JPGIMG_9271 (resized).JPG

1 week later
    #151 6 years ago

Another good weekend of steady progress. I started by catching up the second side with the first that I worked on last weekend. I had to cut the glass channel along the top. Once that was done, I cut the excess off where indicated by the outer rails to make room for where the lock down bar will attach.
    IMG_9288 (resized).JPGIMG_9288 (resized).JPG
    IMG_9290 (resized).JPGIMG_9290 (resized).JPG
    IMG_9289 (resized).JPGIMG_9289 (resized).JPG

So tell me, bingo gurus... does the play field glass just slide between the two channels of stainless steel?
    IMG_9294 (resized).JPGIMG_9294 (resized).JPG

#154 6 years ago

I also had to extend the cut channel for the vertical step so it would end up flush with my newly trimmed back end.
    IMG_9295 (resized).JPGIMG_9295 (resized).JPG
    IMG_9296 (resized).JPGIMG_9296 (resized).JPG

I also spent some quality time at the radial arm saw. Boring, but vital.
    IMG_9298 (resized).JPGIMG_9298 (resized).JPG
    IMG_9297 (resized).JPGIMG_9297 (resized).JPG

#155 6 years ago

It is painted, and that also eases the installation of glass.

Mine will not be painted.

#157 6 years ago

Also, the sample cabinet I am using for a pattern has nails holding in the inner rail/glass guide and the new one I will be installing has no holes. Thoughts? (I have the tool and ability to punch my own holes.)

#159 6 years ago

Punched it is. Thanks, Dennis.

The lower cabinet is basically done, for now. All that is left is to do the graphics and attach the inner support brackets and hardware. Now I'll move on to the head and get it ready for assembly. That way I am doing all the graphics at once. When I did the basic cutouts for the head I did the sides as squares, knowing I would eventually cut the corners to match the old cabinet I am using as a pattern.
    IMG_9310 (resized).JPGIMG_9310 (resized).JPG

I also drilled out the lock holes on both sides.
    IMG_9312 (resized).JPGIMG_9312 (resized).JPG

I cut the majority of the hole for the wire pass through with the sabre saw and then clamped it to the original and cut the remainder with the router and a pattern bit. Nice and smooth. (This is the "before" pic.)
    IMG_9309 (resized).JPGIMG_9309 (resized).JPG

The next step is to cut a channel on the back end of three sides to allow the back door to close flush. (It's hinged on the fourth.)
    IMG_9313 (resized).JPGIMG_9313 (resized).JPG

Once those channels are complete I'll use the rabbet bit set to create channels for the steps to be inserted. After that I have a few ventilation slots to cut and a couple other small jobs and the head will be ready for graphics and assembly. Moving along.

Shawn

1 week later
    #162 6 years ago

Moving along with the head - I completed the channels for the back panel to close into. I used a piece of scrap to check the fit. Nice and flush!
    IMG_9329 (resized).JPGIMG_9329 (resized).JPG

Next was to rout out two channels for the locks on the rear door.
    IMG_9332 (resized).JPGIMG_9332 (resized).JPG

Lastly I had to cut the two ventilation openings on the top to let all the heat out. I did this in four passes so as not to burn up the bit.
    IMG_9335 (resized).JPGIMG_9335 (resized).JPG

Getting there...
    IMG_9327 (resized).JPGIMG_9327 (resized).JPG

1 week later
    #163 6 years ago

The short break was due to a trip to Pensacola for the day job. Looked like a great trip until we found it would coincide with tropical storm Cindy. Two full days of heavy downpour drove us into activities other than drinking at the beach. So we drank indoors instead. Oh, and I took the opportunity to peruse the Naval Aviation Museum there. World class and highly recommended. The point of this story? Inspiration comes in many forms. Yes, this is a scale model of an aircraft carrier in acrylic. Yowza.
    WP_20170621_15_58_21_Pro (resized).jpgWP_20170621_15_58_21_Pro (resized).jpg
    WP_20170621_15_28_38_Pro (resized).jpgWP_20170621_15_28_38_Pro (resized).jpg

#164 6 years ago

But I digress... The last structural cuts for the head are the slots for the two steps that finish off the area between the head and the lower cabinet. First I made the channel cuts in the step pieces.
    IMG_9388 (resized).JPGIMG_9388 (resized).JPG

Now all I had to do was match the slots to the ends of the pieces to make a snug fit. Sorta like this.
    IMG_9389 (resized).JPGIMG_9389 (resized).JPG

After a few minor adjustments and some trimming I got it right.
    IMG_9395 (resized).JPGIMG_9395 (resized).JPG
    IMG_9394 (resized).JPGIMG_9394 (resized).JPG
    IMG_9393 (resized).JPGIMG_9393 (resized).JPG

One last thing - this was not a bad cut.
    IMG_9392 (resized).JPGIMG_9392 (resized).JPG

The front of this step has a raised 1/4" by 1/4" ridge in the center that the bottom trim piece attaches to. First I'll do a practice run on a scrap piece to ensure I get it right.
    IMG_9398 (resized).JPGIMG_9398 (resized).JPG

Then I'll trim out the real piece. Not perfect, but pretty damn close!
    IMG_9401 (resized).JPGIMG_9401 (resized).JPG

IMG_9390 (resized).JPGIMG_9390 (resized).JPG

IMG_9391 (resized).JPGIMG_9391 (resized).JPG

#165 6 years ago

Time to get on with the graphics. I spent a chunk of the afternoon getting rid of the jungle o' weeds that has cropped up around my sandblasting rig and checking the equipment. All looks good, so all that is left to do is to cut my stencils and get busy. Once the graphics are done I will be assembling all of the pieces and attaching the appropriate hardware, drilling leg holes, adding playfield supports... You get the idea. But I assure you, I am getting closer!

4 weeks later
    #166 6 years ago

Taking a bit of a summer break while we have the triple digit temps going on. With the high humidity, its just getting a little unbearable out there.

Shawn

3 weeks later
    #170 6 years ago

I have been in Norfolk, VA since last week on day job business and can't get home. The wife and her folks are heading out now. As my house is on N. Padre Island, I may have seen it for the last time. We're all safe and good but we just may lose it all. That is what insurance is for, I just wish I didnt need to find out how good or bad it is. We shall see!

Shawn

#174 6 years ago

Thanks for the prayers and warm wishes, all. The wife chose to ride it out with her folks in their 6th floor apt. I will get to Dallas tomorrow and have a tentative flight home Sunday evening. The house is boarded up and fingers are crossed.

Shawn

1 month later
    #177 6 years ago

WP_20170928_09_46_43_Pro (resized).jpgWP_20170928_09_46_43_Pro (resized).jpg

WP_20170928_09_46_23_Pro (resized).jpgWP_20170928_09_46_23_Pro (resized).jpg

#181 6 years ago

We're supposed to have a "cool" front coming through and I'm on a 5 day weekend so I am trying to get back on schedule. Harvey took out my esperanza trees which is only a bother to the hummingbirds and bees. The poor buggers are going to starve this year. Otherwise we are fine, dandy and damn lucky. My blast cabinet is ready to go so we'll see if we can't make some progress again.

#184 6 years ago

WP_20171001_10_19_01_Pro (resized).jpgWP_20171001_10_19_01_Pro (resized).jpg

WP_20171001_10_18_55_Pro (resized).jpgWP_20171001_10_18_55_Pro (resized).jpg

#186 6 years ago

Yeah. Now comes the sucky part. Peeling all the vinyl.

#187 6 years ago

Needs some clean-up and buffing, but you get the idea.

Shawn

IMG_9717 (resized).JPGIMG_9717 (resized).JPG

IMG_9716 (resized).JPGIMG_9716 (resized).JPG

1 month later
    #191 6 years ago

IMG_9947 (resized).JPGIMG_9947 (resized).JPG

IMG_9948 (resized).JPGIMG_9948 (resized).JPG

3 weeks later
    #192 6 years ago

IMG_0018 (resized).JPGIMG_0018 (resized).JPG

IMG_0033 (resized).JPGIMG_0033 (resized).JPG

1 week later
    #193 6 years ago

Well the long, hot summer finally ended. I think we had been waiting for the cool so bad that when it finally came it was a little overdone. We had snow for the second time in the 13 years I have lived here. May have to rethink my retirement plans. May have to move farther south.

Got the blast cabinet dried up and back in action. The numbers on the play field were ready to go and actually got taken care of relatively quickly.
    IMG_0043 (resized).JPGIMG_0043 (resized).JPG

After the blasting it gets a thorough rinse down and then the peeling begins.
    IMG_0046 (resized).JPGIMG_0046 (resized).JPG

While that was drying I spent a little time sanding down the wood trim that will go back on the upper cabinet. After refinishing the trim it ought to look fantastic against the acrylic. 120 grit followed by a round of 280 and finished up with 400.
    IMG_0047 (resized).JPGIMG_0047 (resized).JPG

The last step for the play field is to sand and polish the edges and shooter lane. I was much more careful this time to take care and not mess up the rest! It turned out pretty good if I do say so myself.
    IMG_0050 (resized).JPGIMG_0050 (resized).JPG

Now comes the major pain of peeling the mask. There will be some minor black paint trim here and there. So far so good!
    IMG_0053 (resized).JPGIMG_0053 (resized).JPG

#198 6 years ago

WP_20180112_15_27_18_Pro (resized).jpgWP_20180112_15_27_18_Pro (resized).jpg

WP_20180112_15_47_19_Pro (resized).jpgWP_20180112_15_47_19_Pro (resized).jpg

#200 6 years ago
    Quoted from rufessor:

A 20 ft bowler in Acrylic

Don't. Give. Me. Ideas. (That would be awesome, no?)

1 week later
    #202 6 years ago

IMG_0063 (resized).JPGIMG_0063 (resized).JPG

IMG_0062 (resized).JPGIMG_0062 (resized).JPG

IMG_0067 (resized).JPGIMG_0067 (resized).JPG

#204 6 years ago

Realized yesterday that I had neglected to cut the slot for the bottom piece in the lower cab parts. After all the complex cuts of the past year it was pretty darn simple. One slot, two passes.

IMG_0057 (resized).JPGIMG_0057 (resized).JPG

IMG_0056 (resized).JPGIMG_0056 (resized).JPG

1 week later
    #205 6 years ago

When I cut out the arches for the top and bottom of the playfield I did it by hand on a large bandsaw. This leaves rather large tooth marks that are a pain to sand out.
    IMG_0125 (resized).JPGIMG_0125 (resized).JPG

So by cutting it a little large I am able to clamp it to the original piece and then go at it with a router using a flush cut bit to match the curve exactly and leave a much better profile.
    IMG_0124 (resized).JPGIMG_0124 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0127 (resized).JPGIMG_0127 (resized).JPG

#206 6 years ago

So after a little work with 280 grit and 400 grit sand paper I ran it through the polishing wheel. The results were not too shabby...

#207 6 years ago

Earlier in the week I added some contrast to the play field to set off the blasting that was done first.
    IMG_0131 (resized).JPGIMG_0131 (resized).JPG

So lets see how that turned out with the new apron in place.

IMG_0135 (resized).JPGIMG_0135 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0136 (resized).JPGIMG_0136 (resized).JPG

#211 6 years ago

No bleed through, just not as nice as it should be. I'm thinking I missed a step there somewhere... have to look at the original again. Will probably redo that part and fill in the holes as well.

Shawn

3 months later
    #213 5 years ago

Final dry fit test of the lower cabinet assembly. Everything looks good and is reasonably square. Now to clean, polish and attach all of the inside rails before gluing it up.

IMG_0488 (resized).JPGIMG_0488 (resized).JPG

IMG_0487 (resized).JPGIMG_0487 (resized).JPG

1 month later
    #216 5 years ago

This is my jig for drilling straight, accurate leg holes. Fun when drilling through plywood, scary as hell when drilling through acrylic.
    IMG_0561 (resized).JPGIMG_0561 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0562 (resized).JPGIMG_0562 (resized).JPG

Slow and steady is the way to go and the end result is properly spaced and angled leg bolt holes.
    IMG_0564 (resized).JPGIMG_0564 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0570 (resized).JPGIMG_0570 (resized).JPG

Shawn

#217 5 years ago

This project is finally getting some legs...

IMG_0576 (resized).JPGIMG_0576 (resized).JPGIMG_0577 (resized).JPGIMG_0577 (resized).JPG
    #220 5 years ago

Here's a shot of the inside of the legs. (An awesome NOS set from @DennisDodel) They all have that extra bracing required for the insane weight of a fully loaded magic screen bingo game.
    IMG_0603 (resized).JPGIMG_0603 (resized).JPG

Meanwhile, I did the first dry fit of the two cabs this weekend. The corner plates I am using are keeping the lower cab step from fully seating making for a not-quite-flush seat. I'll knock off a 1/4" or so on the high speed grinder tomorrow and that should take care of that. Once the fit is good I will install the mounting bolt inserts. The best news is that the pinball lift gets the head all the way up so it can be slid onto the lower cab. My back says yahoo!
    20180709_135446 (resized).jpg20180709_135446 (resized).jpg
    20180709_135518 (resized).jpg20180709_135518 (resized).jpg
    20180709_135654 (resized).jpg20180709_135654 (resized).jpg

#225 5 years ago

So last weekend when I got the legs installed I found that the corner braces I chose to use interfered with the back step on the lower cab. It made the back end set about a 1/16th of an inch high from flush. I took care of that with a few minutes on a high speed grinder.
    IMG_0615 (resized).JPGIMG_0615 (resized).JPG

Now with everything sitting flush I went ahead and installed the corner braces permanently and moved on to the next step.
    IMG_0609 (resized).JPGIMG_0609 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0610 (resized).JPGIMG_0610 (resized).JPG

Next I needed to do some trimming off the back of the lower cab. Again, only a 16th or so but enough to mess up the seating of the upper on top of the lower. Once that was done I moved on to installing the bolt receivers that will help keep the upper part attached to the lower part.
    IMG_0617 (resized).JPGIMG_0617 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0618 (resized).JPGIMG_0618 (resized).JPG

Ready!
    IMG_0621 (resized).JPGIMG_0621 (resized).JPG

#227 5 years ago
    Quoted from flynnibus:

are you going to go work for an acrylic company?

Not a chance... I work way too slow!

So now the two parts are joined at the hip and I can install the back door and other hardware. Work continues on the play field as well.
    IMG_0625 (resized).JPGIMG_0625 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0627 (resized).JPGIMG_0627 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0628 (resized).JPGIMG_0628 (resized).JPG

#228 5 years ago

So for the "size matters" crowd, this is what a "heavy duty" leg leveler looks like -
    IMG_0604 (resized).JPGIMG_0604 (resized).JPG

This is what a normal pinball looks like between a pair of bingo balls -
    IMG_0623 (resized).JPGIMG_0623 (resized).JPG

Aaaaaand this is the mosquito that attempted to murder me whilst working on the project -
    IMG_0608 (resized).JPGIMG_0608 (resized).JPG

Enjoy!
    Shawn

1 month later
    #230 5 years ago

Arches installed, rails are next.

IMG_0742 (resized).JPGIMG_0742 (resized).JPGIMG_0743 (resized).JPGIMG_0743 (resized).JPGIMG_0744 (resized).JPGIMG_0744 (resized).JPG
    #231 5 years ago

Finally got the rails installed. Now it's time to populate this bad boy! Just like the acrylic pin, it is difficult to get a really good picture of this thing.

IMG_0750 (resized).JPGIMG_0750 (resized).JPGIMG_0751 (resized).JPGIMG_0751 (resized).JPG
    4 months later
    #233 5 years ago

So I am finally getting back to this in earnest hoping to get it to TPF in March. Most of the difficult work is done, just getting to the reassembly part. I have gotten the switch rows for the ball holes installed and have run the lights.
    IMG_1000 (resized).JPGIMG_1000 (resized).JPG

The holes for the light hoods were measured by the old ones that came on the sample play field, not the new ones that came later. Seeing as acrylic really does not compress the way that wood does I ended up doing a little trimming of the base to get a decent fit. Once that was done I had no choice but to hook up my test rig.
    IMG_1005 (resized).JPGIMG_1005 (resized).JPG
    IMG_1007 (resized).JPGIMG_1007 (resized).JPG

Next will be the wire harness and then the ball catch assembly. Nothing like drilling holes in a piece of plastic that already had a bunch of holes in it. One might think I would be more confident after the APP construction but it still makes me nervous. And for what it is worth, the acrylic pin is holding up like a beast.

1 week later
    #235 5 years ago

Slow but steady...
    With the legs off I needed to roll the lower cab on its' side to attach the play field supports.
    IMG_1018 (resized).JPGIMG_1018 (resized).JPG

Next I assembled the 2-piece support for the lower tray.
    IMG_1020 (resized).JPGIMG_1020 (resized).JPG

I'm always careful to offset the screws plenty so as not to split the pieces.
    IMG_1021 (resized).JPGIMG_1021 (resized).JPG

#236 5 years ago

Test fit of the base of the lower tray. Looks like it will work!
    IMG_1027 (resized).JPGIMG_1027 (resized).JPG

The lower tray is now assembled and ready for a test fit.
    IMG_1046 (resized).JPGIMG_1046 (resized).JPG

#241 5 years ago
    Quoted from bob_e:

Will you be keeping a logbook for the number of hours invested?

Honestly, I'd rather not know!

Quoted from Phatchit:

I love these games and would kill to add one to the collection ! Truly a piece of stunning artwork !

Thanks! Just a lot of love and time.

Thanks Dennis. We're getting there.

#242 5 years ago

The inserts went into the play field today. First I had to rough up the edges as these are new and won't give any bite to the epoxy. I also epoxied in the guides for the buttons under the lights. They originally screwed into the wood. Doesn't work so well on the acrylic.

IMG_1048 (resized).JPGIMG_1048 (resized).JPG
    IMG_1058 (resized).JPGIMG_1058 (resized).JPG

Last weekend I got most of the under play field machinery installed and 95% of the wiring harness attached. This is part of the mechanism that works the ball trap under the holes. That part may get installed later today.
    IMG_1051 (resized).JPGIMG_1051 (resized).JPG

Up next is the ball gate at the top of the field where the ball exits the shooter lane. It has a switch in it so the height needs to be just right. Too high and the ball won't activate the switch. Too low and the ball won't pass. Easily fixed. Once I clean up the extra piece I'll mount it, drill a hole through for the wires to pass and wire it in. A round rubber will get mounted on the other side.

IMG_1053 (resized).JPGIMG_1053 (resized).JPG
    IMG_1056 (resized).JPGIMG_1056 (resized).JPG
    IMG_1057 (resized).JPGIMG_1057 (resized).JPG

Shawn

#243 5 years ago

Okay, that's better.
    IMG_1060 (resized).JPGIMG_1060 (resized).JPG

So now I get to break out my least favorite router bit, the slot cutter. The lockdown bar has a small angle iron that holds it in place and it requires a slot from side to side on the front panel. Two passes later...
    IMG_1061 (resized).JPGIMG_1061 (resized).JPG
    IMG_1062 (resized).JPGIMG_1062 (resized).JPG

Next I'll finish the slot to the edges with a little Dremel bit.
    IMG_1064 (resized).JPGIMG_1064 (resized).JPG

So here's the payoff. Money shot of the day.
    IMG_1066 (resized).JPGIMG_1066 (resized).JPG
    IMG_1067 (resized).JPGIMG_1067 (resized).JPG

#244 5 years ago

Turned out to be a really nice day so I took it out doors and built the back door for the upper cabinet. Once it was trimmed down to size I had to cut some channels for the hinges to sit in. As those get installed I'll be moving on to the locks. That's an easy part. I've done it before.

Shawn

#246 5 years ago

Incredible work! Hope to meet you at TPF and play the game!

No doubt! Looking forward to meeting you and playing the multi-bingo as well.

Not very exciting stuff today, just the drudgery that goes into gettin' it there.

First up was finishing trimming up the back door for the head and making sure it would set flush. The hinges and locks will go on tomorrow.
    IMG_1081 (resized).JPGIMG_1081 (resized).JPG

I also mounted up the receiver piece for the lockdown bar. Screws will be added after it cures.
    IMG_1082 (resized).JPGIMG_1082 (resized).JPG

#247 5 years ago

So it's ONLY 48F in Corpus Christi this morning. I realize that for some of you that would be sub-tropical weather but in south Texas that is flippin' COLD! The garage work will wait while exciting things are going on inside...

IMG_1086 (resized).JPGIMG_1086 (resized).JPG
    IMG_1084 (resized).JPGIMG_1084 (resized).JPG

#248 5 years ago

It warmed a little finally and I got back out in the garage to install the hinges. The "factory finish" on the bolts I got was unsatisfactory so I gave them a quick turn at the buffing wheel.
    IMG_1088 (resized).JPGIMG_1088 (resized).JPG

Next I marked the holes for the hinges on the door side and drilled a pilot hole all the way through. Then I drilled consecutively larger holes until I got to the correct size for the bolts.
    IMG_1095 (resized).JPGIMG_1095 (resized).JPG
    IMG_1099 (resized).JPGIMG_1099 (resized).JPG

Once the hinges were mounted on the door I centered the door in the head and marked and drilled for the rest of the hardware. Since the square of the carriage bolt extends a little past the hinge base I enlarged the start of the hole to ensure a flush fit.
    IMG_1101 (resized).JPGIMG_1101 (resized).JPG
    IMG_1105 (resized).JPGIMG_1105 (resized).JPG
    IMG_1106 (resized).JPGIMG_1106 (resized).JPG
    IMG_1107 (resized).JPGIMG_1107 (resized).JPG
    IMG_1108 (resized).JPGIMG_1108 (resized).JPG

By the end of yesterday I had installed the locks, still need to install the plates the cam turns in to.
    IMG_1112 (resized).JPGIMG_1112 (resized).JPG
    IMG_1115 (resized).JPGIMG_1115 (resized).JPG

#249 5 years ago

Oh, and I also managed to get back on the play field. Coming along nicely!
    IMG_1110 (resized).JPGIMG_1110 (resized).JPG
    IMG_1111 (resized).JPGIMG_1111 (resized).JPG

#252 5 years ago

Added to the head again today. I'm hoping to transfer the guts from the donor machine to the acrylic head this weekend.

Metal plates for the back door locks -
    IMG_1117 (resized).JPGIMG_1117 (resized).JPG

Lower corner braces-
    IMG_1118 (resized).JPGIMG_1118 (resized).JPG

Pivot bar for the front piece to fold down from -
    IMG_1120 (resized).JPGIMG_1120 (resized).JPG
    IMG_1121 (resized).JPGIMG_1121 (resized).JPG

#253 5 years ago

Just for fun, I did a test fit up of the wood trim pieces after installing the lock receivers. So, honest opinions here... Does the wood go with the acrylic or should I go in another direction?

IMG_1122 (resized).JPGIMG_1122 (resized).JPG
    IMG_1126 (resized).JPGIMG_1126 (resized).JPG
    IMG_1127 (resized).JPGIMG_1127 (resized).JPG

#257 5 years ago

Play field is almost done...
    IMG_1129 (resized).JPGIMG_1129 (resized).JPG
    IMG_1130 (resized).JPGIMG_1130 (resized).JPG
    IMG_1131 (resized).JPGIMG_1131 (resized).JPG

#258 5 years ago

Started the head to head transfer yesterday. I figured the easiest way was to put them back to back. The door will simply lift off. (And by lift off I mean you have to heave that heavy bastard up 3" to pop it off but it means you don't have to unscrew anything.)

The new case is ready to receive...
    IMG_1132 (resized).JPGIMG_1132 (resized).JPG

Next, I thought it prudent to move the old one outside and blow out the dust of a thousand years...
    IMG_1135 (resized).JPGIMG_1135 (resized).JPG

I'm sorry, DennisDodel but unless there is some weird sentimental value to it, this thing is going in the trash! Speaking of which, whereintheheck DOES the cord come out of a bingo machine??? Anybody?
    IMG_1133 (resized).JPGIMG_1133 (resized).JPG

And so the transfer begins...
    IMG_1136 (resized).JPGIMG_1136 (resized).JPG

#261 5 years ago

Okay guys, thinking caps on. I discovered this mid transfer. The bundled wires appear to be all right, but the brown pair and white pair going to the motor are toast. Since they are in pairs, I will assume they daisy chain to other motors. I have traced the white wires to their respective next stop and termination but the brown has me doing circles. It is connected to a pair of blue wires that terminate at the plug for the transformer as does one of the white ones. It obviously changes color somewhere along the way. The other brown I have no clue where it goes. I'm sure that given a lot of time and patience I could trace it through the schematics and figure it out. It would be a lot faster if you guys could help. Thanks.
    IMG_1137 (resized).JPGIMG_1137 (resized).JPG
    IMG_1138 (resized).JPGIMG_1138 (resized).JPG
    IMG_1139 (resized).JPGIMG_1139 (resized).JPG

#262 5 years ago

Aaaaaaaand I have no schematics. Could be a long night.

#265 5 years ago

Both the mixer and control unit motor (pictured) are 120V.

Um, bingo, as they say. One white wire and one brown wire clearly go up to the mixer and spotting motor. I have replaced them already. The other white wire goes to the transformer plug and the other brown goes... somewhere else and then to the plug. Just gotta find that in-between and we'll be A-OK.

Quoted from BMHouze:

Came in late, glad I found this thread.
    Clearly loved the last project.

1) It's never too late.
    2) Welcome! Always room for more Canadians.
    3) It is 74F today. Sunny with a nice breeze. Just thought I'd throw that out there...

#267 5 years ago

Thankfully the wrap did its' job and protected the wire bundle. An east fix for sure.

1 month later
    #268 5 years ago

Been a busy, crazy month. The highlight, of course was attending the Texas Pinball Festival. It seems to get better every year and this one was no different. While the acrylic bingo was not quite ready the acrylic pinball was there for its fourth TPF and got lots of attention. The organizers were nice enough to put it right up front again where everyone would walk past.
    IMG_1259 (resized).JPGIMG_1259 (resized).JPG

Along with seeing the DFW and Houston pinball crowds again I got the distinct pleasure of finally meeting @dennisdodel as well as @bingopodcast , @greatwichjohn and for the second time @ryanclaytor. This is an awesome community we are part of and I am proud to play my little part in it all. (I also got a chance to play Nicks kick-butt Multi-Bingo machine. Of course I played Golden Gate. Even more complex than I had imagined.
    IMG_1286 (resized).JPGIMG_1286 (resized).JPG

So after playing the machine, Nick was nice enough to show me where the power cord actually exits the game. I wish I had taken a picture! Along with a few other minor changes to the acrylic bingo I will be adding a service plug and a computer style pass through for the power cord. After putting the head on the acrylic pin while forgetting to pass the power cord through first for the umpteenth time I decided this was a better idea. Here's a picture of the mod to the pinball. It will be similar on the bingo.
    20190310_152313 (resized).jpg20190310_152313 (resized).jpg

Meanwhile the work continues. The head is populated and just about complete but for a little wiring. The cab is down to the plunger, ball-a-vator and some switches. Here's a few of the latest pictures.
    IMG_1353 (resized).JPGIMG_1353 (resized).JPG
    IMG_1354 (resized).JPGIMG_1354 (resized).JPG
    IMG_1357 (resized).JPGIMG_1357 (resized).JPG

#269 5 years ago

The back glass / translite arrived yesterday. Things are really coming together now...

IMG_1359 (resized).JPGIMG_1359 (resized).JPG
    #271 5 years ago

Here's a few pics of the now finished transformer area. There's a new set of fuse blocks and the aux plug I added in.

IMG_1388 (resized).JPGIMG_1388 (resized).JPGIMG_1389 (resized).JPGIMG_1389 (resized).JPGIMG_1390 (resized).JPGIMG_1390 (resized).JPG
    1 month later
    #275 4 years ago

Finally finished off some old customer orders and a few hanging chads. Went ahead and routed out the hole for the power to enter the upper cabinet. Debated a couple ways to do this but in the end I think this will be the best way. The other alternative was to make it go up into the bottom of the lower cab. Not good. I'll route the wire around the cab and door so you can open it all the way and still have power in the machine.
    IMG_1440 (resized).JPGIMG_1440 (resized).JPG

In the lower cab I have mounted up the "ball-o-vator" and motor. I can manually load a ball to the play field! Next up, switches and ball ramp and on/off mount, oh my.
    IMG_1435 (resized).JPGIMG_1435 (resized).JPG
    IMG_1437 (resized).JPGIMG_1437 (resized).JPG
    IMG_1439 (resized).JPGIMG_1439 (resized).JPG

#276 4 years ago

I was trying to figure out the angle for the ball-o-vator feed chute when the ball kept sticking. So I looked a little closer. I guess this is what happens, eventually. That'll get straightened.
    IMG_1450 (resized).JPGIMG_1450 (resized).JPG

Assembly is coming along nicely, a piece at a time. Getting close to making the shooter hole. That ought to be fun!
    IMG_1451 (resized).JPGIMG_1451 (resized).JPG
    IMG_1452 (resized).JPGIMG_1452 (resized).JPG

3 weeks later
    #277 4 years ago

We now has a plunger! Got about three things left to secure in the lower cab and we will be ready to put on the top and give it a whirl.

IMG_1493 (resized).JPGIMG_1493 (resized).JPG
    1 week later
    #279 4 years ago

Okay. Hope everyone is enjoying their Independence Day! (You foreign folk please feel free to join in. Even the Brits! LOL) Everything is secured in place in the lower cab and I can manually get the ball lift to put balls in the plunger lane. If anyone would care to comment, how fast or slow does the lift go? I may have some adjusting to do yet. We'll see when it gets all together.

Today I finished out the power in on the upper cab. I still can't believe the way they just pinched the cord between them. I now have a complete circuit going from the transformer and fuses to the service outlet. From there it will run across the bottom of the upper cabinet and then back across the back door to the plug inlet.
    IMG_1502 (resized).JPGIMG_1502 (resized).JPG
    IMG_1503 (resized).JPGIMG_1503 (resized).JPG

They sure stuffed a lot in there, didn't they???
    IMG_1500 (resized).JPGIMG_1500 (resized).JPG
    IMG_1499 (resized).JPGIMG_1499 (resized).JPG

Assembly and testing should begin tomorrow. Fingers crossed, eh?

Shawn

#280 4 years ago

...And just in case disaster should ensue, here's a couple more nice shots of the upper for posterity.

IMG_1505 (resized).JPGIMG_1505 (resized).JPGIMG_1507 (resized).JPGIMG_1507 (resized).JPG
    #282 4 years ago

Open up and say AAAAAAAAAAAHHH!!!!!

IMG_1510 (resized).JPGIMG_1510 (resized).JPG
    #283 4 years ago

Step one, carefully raise the back box and slide into place. And by "slide" I mean to wiggle back and forth, side to side, while watching for interference. I did dry fit it before putting the 200 pounds of gut in it but one never knows...

Step two, give it the "jerk test." As in lets pretend some asshat pinball show attendee decided to perform a death save on the thing and see what happens. "Honey?"
    -Yes??
    "I'll be in the garage for a few minutes. If you hear a loud crash, it's just the sound of my heart breaking."
    -Okay.

It survived. And like the acrylic pin before it. seems pretty stout. I still don't trust it but that will come in time. No thought like the one of it coming apart at a show.

(Deep breath...) Step three, turn it on. The good news is, no smoke, no burning smell, no blown fuses. Like an unsatisfied pin, the main score motor goes round and round waiting for... something to happen. Now this is the part where all you experts get to earn your keep. Because I am pretty clueless when it comes to bingo machines. Here's a quick, crappy video to get you started. Got some running around to do today but will try to get back to it later on.

#295 4 years ago
    Quoted from SunKing:

Simply amazing.
    Any chance this will make it's way down to the Houston Arcade Expo this year?

100% chance. I have minor old fart type surgery coming up in a month but expect to be well over it by then. I will need volunteers to help assemble the thing...

Shawn

#297 4 years ago
    Quoted from SunKing:

I'd be honored to help. I'm planning to get there Thursday evening - so I should be available. I'll PM you my contact info.

Got your info and very much appreciate the offer. I usually show sometime after lunch Thursday and will load in after checking in. I practiced putting it together by myself when the head was empty to figure out the best way to do it. (And to do a test fit to find problems BEFORE I loaded it up.) In any case it is much, much easier and safer to have a helping hand or two. Thanks again and I'll see all y'all at the show!

Shawn

#299 4 years ago
    Quoted from DennisDodel:

I will definitely be there Thursday morning with a helper or two. I wouldn't miss it for the world.

Excellent! Looking forward to seeing you again and presenting this machine to the world.

3 months later
    #301 4 years ago

Here's a couple of play videos to show the current behavior. I assume this is the way it works but I'm no bingo player! I'll let the experts chime in...

#303 4 years ago

1) lack of coin flash

Yeah, a lot of that could be due to dead bulbs. You'd be surprised. Or maybe not.

2) game gave you six balls by default and a problem loading ball #1 on your second game in vid #1 -

So the game should issue 6 shots and then more if you add coins? Still not getting the gist. And when do you know the game is "over?"

Gate switch may be open

You talking about the switch on the top gate? I know it is doing it's thing. When the ball hits the trough I see a solenoid under the play field lock and it releases when the ball travels through the gate.

4) game seemed to award extra odds in video number two when playing for extra ball (yellow button). That's not right. The eb trip relays should prevent stepping of odds

Now you're talking way over my head...

5) 'eb mode' lamp is on

Extra Ball. Got it. When should that part light up?

1 week later
    #305 4 years ago

Okay, folks. She's racked, packed and ready to go! Hope to see y'all at the Houston Arcade Expo this coming weekend.

(Had to make a custom bottom for both pieces to make them easy to move like I did with the acrylic pin.)

IMG_1626 (resized).JPGIMG_1626 (resized).JPGIMG_1627 (resized).JPGIMG_1627 (resized).JPGIMG_1628 (resized).JPGIMG_1628 (resized).JPG
    #310 4 years ago
    Quoted from Zitt:

sweeet haysues…. Just how many playfields in your garage aren't installed?

All for the Multi-Bally machine. No cases were destroyed in the making of this project!

#311 4 years ago

Current status - FUBAR. Got off work at lunch. Picked up trailer. Loaded trailer. Loaded other various pinball show related materials in the van. Thought maybe I should check the tires being as it is Canada weather in Texas today. Valve stem broke off in my hand. Tire emptied all air immediately. Shite. Chocked trailer wheels. Jacked trailer tongue and blocked it. Chocked van and jacked it. Removed tire/rim including one completely thread wasted lug nut put on by low wage Discount Tire employee with air gun. So..... Tomorrow I will take the tire to have the valve stem replaced. Bring tire home and install on van. Drive van back to tire shop to have mount stem replaced. Drive back home. Jack trailer and attach to car. Drive to Houston. Was hoping to be there by noon but.....

20191113_172810 (resized).jpg20191113_172810 (resized).jpg
    #316 4 years ago

So now there are two! The experts got it mostly up and running like a champ! Not too bad for a couple hours work.

20191114_210645.jpg20191114_210645.jpg
    1 month later
    #322 4 years ago

I think that's a great idea. I've been meaning to ask if you need me to ship up the backglass print I have along with the other various parts I still have. I know it will return here eventually but I didn't know what you intend to try and do in the mean time.

Shawn

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Mk1Mod0.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/clearly-insane-part-ii-bingo?tu=Mk1Mod0 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.