3 years ago

Topic Stats

• 274 posts
  • 30 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 days ago by SunKing
  • Topic is favorited by 56 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 312 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_1390 (resized).JPG
    IMG_1389 (resized).JPG
    IMG_1388 (resized).JPG
    IMG_1359 (resized).JPG
    IMG_1357 (resized).JPG
    IMG_1354 (resized).JPG
    IMG_1353 (resized).JPG
    20190310_152313 (resized).jpg
    IMG_1286 (resized).JPG
    IMG_1259 (resized).JPG
    IMG_1139 (resized).JPG
    IMG_1138 (resized).JPG
    IMG_1137 (resized).JPG
    IMG_1136 (resized).JPG
    IMG_1133 (resized).JPG
    IMG_1135 (resized).JPG

There are 274 posts in this topic. You are on page 6 of 6.
    #251 66 days ago

Truly amazing indeed! It must weigh a TON. I can't wait to see this at TPF!!!

#252 64 days ago

Added to the head again today. I'm hoping to transfer the guts from the donor machine to the acrylic head this weekend.

Metal plates for the back door locks -
    IMG_1117 (resized).JPG

Lower corner braces-
    IMG_1118 (resized).JPG

Pivot bar for the front piece to fold down from -
    IMG_1120 (resized).JPG
    IMG_1121 (resized).JPG

#253 64 days ago

Just for fun, I did a test fit up of the wood trim pieces after installing the lock receivers. So, honest opinions here... Does the wood go with the acrylic or should I go in another direction?

IMG_1122 (resized).JPG
    IMG_1126 (resized).JPG
    IMG_1127 (resized).JPG

#254 63 days ago

I vote wood

#255 63 days ago

Wood looks good to me.

#256 63 days ago

Wood for the win

#257 63 days ago

Play field is almost done...
    IMG_1129 (resized).JPG
    IMG_1130 (resized).JPG
    IMG_1131 (resized).JPG

#258 62 days ago

Started the head to head transfer yesterday. I figured the easiest way was to put them back to back. The door will simply lift off. (And by lift off I mean you have to heave that heavy bastard up 3" to pop it off but it means you don't have to unscrew anything.)

The new case is ready to receive...
    IMG_1132 (resized).JPG

Next, I thought it prudent to move the old one outside and blow out the dust of a thousand years...
    IMG_1135 (resized).JPG

I'm sorry, dennisdodel but unless there is some weird sentimental value to it, this thing is going in the trash! Speaking of which, whereintheheck DOES the cord come out of a bingo machine??? Anybody?
    IMG_1133 (resized).JPG

And so the transfer begins...
    IMG_1136 (resized).JPG

#259 62 days ago
    Quoted from Mk1Mod0:

I'm sorry, dennisdodel but unless there is some weird sentimental value to it, this thing is going in the trash! Speaking of which, whereintheheck DOES the cord come out of a bingo machine??? Anybody?

The cord comes out under the head - unlike on most other games, and, in truth, other manufacturers' bingos, Bally put the cord in the head, and then tucked it between the lower cabinet and the head upon assembly. Guess how often I put them together without the cord coming out? Frequently.

#260 62 days ago
    Quoted from Mk1Mod0:

I'm sorry, dennisdodel but unless there is some weird sentimental value to it, this thing is going in the trash!

You cut the cord. Now it's your baby!

#261 62 days ago

Okay guys, thinking caps on. I discovered this mid transfer. The bundled wires appear to be all right, but the brown pair and white pair going to the motor are toast. Since they are in pairs, I will assume they daisy chain to other motors. I have traced the white wires to their respective next stop and termination but the brown has me doing circles. It is connected to a pair of blue wires that terminate at the plug for the transformer as does one of the white ones. It obviously changes color somewhere along the way. The other brown I have no clue where it goes. I'm sure that given a lot of time and patience I could trace it through the schematics and figure it out. It would be a lot faster if you guys could help. Thanks.
    IMG_1137 (resized).JPG
    IMG_1138 (resized).JPG
    IMG_1139 (resized).JPG

#262 62 days ago

Aaaaaaaand I have no schematics. Could be a long night.

#263 62 days ago

At a family function, but schematics and manual are available here:

http://bingo.cdyn.com/machines/bally/golden_gate/

Both the mixer and control unit motor (pictured) are 120V. They are some of the only circuits in a Bally bingo that are 120V, so luckily very easy to replace wiring on. They do run to the plug and from plug to transformer main. Second connection is to the mixer motor, most likely.

#264 62 days ago

Came in late, glad I found this thread.
    Clearly loved the last project.

#265 62 days ago
    Quoted from bingopodcast:

Both the mixer and control unit motor (pictured) are 120V.

Um, bingo, as they say. One white wire and one brown wire clearly go up to the mixer and spotting motor. I have replaced them already. The other white wire goes to the transformer plug and the other brown goes... somewhere else and then to the plug. Just gotta find that in-between and we'll be A-OK.

Quoted from BMHouze:

Came in late, glad I found this thread.
    Clearly loved the last project.

1) It's never too late.
    2) Welcome! Always room for more Canadians.
    3) It is 74F today. Sunny with a nice breeze. Just thought I'd throw that out there...

#266 62 days ago

Looks like that motor bracket had been hot for a long time. Game is working so should be OK after wire repair. Sorry for the extra work.

#267 62 days ago

Thankfully the wrap did its' job and protected the wire bundle. An east fix for sure.

1 month later
    #268 12 days ago

Been a busy, crazy month. The highlight, of course was attending the Texas Pinball Festival. It seems to get better every year and this one was no different. While the acrylic bingo was not quite ready the acrylic pinball was there for its fourth TPF and got lots of attention. The organizers were nice enough to put it right up front again where everyone would walk past.
    IMG_1259 (resized).JPG

Along with seeing the DFW and Houston pinball crowds again I got the distinct pleasure of finally meeting @dennisdodel as well as @bingopodcast , @greatwichjohn and for the second time @ryanclaytor. This is an awesome community we are part of and I am proud to play my little part in it all. (I also got a chance to play Nicks kick-butt Multi-Bingo machine. Of course I played Golden Gate. Even more complex than I had imagined.
    IMG_1286 (resized).JPG

So after playing the machine, Nick was nice enough to show me where the power cord actually exits the game. I wish I had taken a picture! Along with a few other minor changes to the acrylic bingo I will be adding a service plug and a computer style pass through for the power cord. After putting the head on the acrylic pin while forgetting to pass the power cord through first for the umpteenth time I decided this was a better idea. Here's a picture of the mod to the pinball. It will be similar on the bingo.
    20190310_152313 (resized).jpg

Meanwhile the work continues. The head is populated and just about complete but for a little wiring. The cab is down to the plunger, ball-a-vator and some switches. Here's a few of the latest pictures.
    IMG_1353 (resized).JPG
    IMG_1354 (resized).JPG
    IMG_1357 (resized).JPG

#269 8 days ago

The back glass / translite arrived yesterday. Things are really coming together now...

IMG_1359 (resized).JPG
    #270 8 days ago
    Quoted from Mk1Mod0:

distinct pleasure of finally meeting @dennisdodel as well as @bingopodcast

The pleasure was all mine! It was great to finally meet you. I had a lot of fun (albeit brief) conversations with you and your brother.

Quoted from Mk1Mod0:

I also got a chance to play Nicks kick-butt Multi-Bingo machine. Of course I played Golden Gate. Even more complex than I had imagined.

Thank you! I can't believe the genius of Don Hooker. These games are so much more than the sum of their parts (and that sum is large, based on the number of parts)!

Thank you for your kind words. I can't wait to see the finished game. It looks so amazing already.

#271 5 days ago

Here's a few pics of the now finished transformer area. There's a new set of fuse blocks and the aux plug I added in.

IMG_1388 (resized).JPGIMG_1389 (resized).JPGIMG_1390 (resized).JPG
    #272 5 days ago
    Quoted from Mk1Mod0:

Here's a few pics of the now finished transformer area. There's a new set of fuse blocks and the aux plug I added in.[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Yup, new fuse holders are critical on these old Ballys! OEM units are shite

#273 5 days ago
    Quoted from dasvis:

Yup, new fuse holders are critical on these old Ballys! OEM units are shite

Yeah... but between old OEM units and Cheap China made ones... are you really coming out ahead?
    That said; not saying Mk1Mod went with cheap China units... just pointing out china made units aren't necessarily better.

#274 4 days ago

I love seeing the work here.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 0.35
    $ 235.00
    Boards
    RS Technologies
    $ 94.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 76.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 26.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    $ 59.99
    $ 129.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Hookedonpinball.com
    $ 84.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 369.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    Mircoplayfields
    Cabinet - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 5.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Doc's Pinball Shop
    $ 16.95
    Playfield - Protection
    ULEKstore
    $ 79.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 90.00
    Lighting - Under Cabinet
    Rock Custom Pinball
    $ 234.99
    Pinball Machine
    Flip N Out Pinball
    $ 229.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 49.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 239.00
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Tilttopper
    There are 274 posts in this topic. You are on page 6 of 6.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside