2 years ago

Topic Stats

• 232 posts
  • 26 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 45 days ago by SteveinTexas
  • Topic is favorited by 53 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 249 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_0751 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0750 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0744 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0743 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0742 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0608 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0623 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0604 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0628 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0627 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0625 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0621 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0615 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0617 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0618 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0610 (resized).JPG

There are 232 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 5.
    #1 2 years ago

This project won't get underway in earnest until after TPF, but a fine teaser is in order. Thanks to the extreme generosity of fellow Pinsider Dennis Dodel, I am in receipt of a Golden Gate bingo machine to be converted to acrylic. So far, I have the play field to jump start this project. Over the next couple of weeks I will be disassembling, cleaning and determining the feasibility of it all.
    While similar to the acrylic pinball project, this is an entirely different machine. Thinner play field, more and bigger holes and a sliding trap floor underneath. Oh, and about a 300 pound head. I will also be exploring a different take on the side graphics. Thankfully, while the play can be quite spirited, it's not flipper hit at 80mph spirited. I can keep everything in easy-to-work-with acrylic and leave the hard-to-work-with polycarbonate out of the equation.
    I'll be using new parts when I can and original if I cannot find new. This game is, literally, 3 years older than I so some things may be difficult. The head light board will probably be just as much of a challenge as the play field is. I do relish a challenge. (That is the clearly insane part.) As before, all comments, suggestions and constructive criticisms are welcome! Nothing is settled until it is done, and maybe not even then. Slow but steady progress to begin with. Enjoy the ride!

IMG_6105_(resized).JPG

IMG_6108_(resized).JPG

#2 2 years ago

Original bulbs??

IMG_6107_(resized).JPG

#3 2 years ago

it will be fun to watch.

#4 2 years ago

In from the beginning again. I can't wait to follow along.

#5 2 years ago
    Quoted from Mk1Mod0:

Original bulbs??

IMG_6107_(resized).JPG

No. Maybe the one with the brass base but those Philips lamps (which are newer than your Golden Gate) were not what Bally used for production. I still have a small bag of Bally OEM lamps (44's, 55's and 455's) from the Belmont assembly line. Either GE or Chicago Miniature IIRC.

#6 2 years ago

One suggestion, since you will be remaking the head in acylic: route the power cord through the bottom of the back door instead of underneath the head.

Moving a bingo is tough, but assembling a bingo only to realize that the power cord isn't in place? Has to make you laugh (or weep).

Golden gate has a very complex stencil. I will be eagerly watching to see how you tackle the cabinet! Awesome idea!

#7 2 years ago

I'm along for the ride

#9 2 years ago
    Quoted from bingopodcast:

Moving a bingo is tough, but assembling a bingo only to realize that the power cord isn't in place? Has to make you laugh (or weep).

I'm sure! Done that with pins as well as the APP. I'm actually considering doing a computer style plug. Not only will it eliminate that problem, it'll give me the base for a service plug to power the LEDs. (I don't even know... did bingos have a service plug?)

#10 2 years ago

An acrylic magic screen bingo game will be phenomenal.

#11 2 years ago

Crazyness.

#12 2 years ago

Popcorn. And subscribed!

#13 2 years ago

Yes, they have a service plug inside the backdoor. Remember everything is two prong.

Detachable power cord? Now you're talking!

#14 2 years ago

Subscribed as well. It's a privilege to see such awesome work as it progresses. I got a chance to play the acrylic pinball machine at HAAG expo in Houston, and it was simply amazing.

#15 2 years ago

Thanks for all the kind words, y'all! Welcome back to the APP fans and welcome to the newcomers.

So, this is new to me. The APP was a lesson in EMs and acrylic construction. This will add in the complexity of a bingo machine. Now, there is a switch in the ball trough. Pretty sure that tells the machine a ball has left and will activate the "ball-a-vator" to rack up another until the switch is once more depressed. Meanwhile, there is a switch in the one way gate at the top of the playfield tripped by a passing ball entering the arc. I would guess it adds a tic to a ball count stepper of some sort? Or lets the ball-a-vator know that the trough is clear now for sending up another ball? Both?
    IMG_6126_(resized).JPG
    IMG_6124_(resized).JPG

The wires for that switch emerge down here.
    IMG_6134_(resized).JPG

#16 2 years ago

That switch has two functions: one to signal to the ball lift relay that it should engage to allow the lifting of the next ball, the second to trigger the close of the shutter by running the shutter motor (but only on the first shot).

That switch is tricky to adjust, but I believe it is NC and should only open right as the ball passes through the gate. Any earlier and you will have soft plungers stacking a ball in the shooter lane.

The game also portions lifting via the lane switch.

Timer step up happens based on trough switches closed and a switch on the lifter motor cam.

#17 2 years ago

Meanwhile, underneath the beast, I have removed the sliding ball holder/dropper sheet. This lets me in on how the game knows where the balls are. Each hole has a switch, ganged by rows, that tells the game it is occupied. The ganged switches are inset into the bottom of the playfield. Well damn. That just eliminated any thoughts I had of reverse printing the graphics on the bottom of the playfield. Kinda leaves me with either painting the keylines, numbers and graphic outlines on top with an autoclear over top or doing the graphics on a thinner pice and laminating it to the piece with the cutouts. Looke like an expiriment is in order.
    IMG_6132_(resized).JPG
    IMG_6133_(resized).JPG

I wonder if I should up the wattage on this bugger. Looks like it got a little warm, eh?
    IMG_6135_(resized).JPG

#18 2 years ago

By the time Golden Gate rolled around, the bingo hole switches used this 'new' style. Prior to 1955(?) they used a simpler leaf switch under each hole which would move with the shutter board. Maybe retrofitting with that style would be easier?

#19 2 years ago

That switch has two functions:

Got it!

That switch is tricky to adjust, but I believe it is NC and should only open right as the ball passes through the gate.

Yes, set up to be NC.

#20 2 years ago

Prior to 1955(?) they used a simpler leaf switch under each hole which would move with the shutter board.

So the leaf switches were mounted to the shutter board?

#21 2 years ago

I'm sure this one will be amazing like the first one

#24 2 years ago

In for the ride on this one too.

#25 2 years ago

Wow. My typos are pretty spectacular these days.

IMG_20160109_172551_(resized).jpg

As you can see, the difference is wire bundles for each row. Also may require periodic adjustment.

#26 2 years ago
    Quoted from Mk1Mod0:

Thanks for all the kind words, y'all! Welcome back to the APP fans and welcome to the newcomers.
    So, this is new to me. The APP was a lesson in EMs and acrylic construction. This will add in the complexity of a bingo machine. Now, there is a switch in the ball trough. Pretty sure that tells the machine a ball has left and will activate the "ball-a-vator" to rack up another until the switch is once more depressed. Meanwhile, there is a switch in the one way gate at the top of the playfield tripped by a passing ball entering the arc. I would guess it adds a tic to a ball count stepper of some sort? Or lets the ball-a-vator know that the trough is clear now for sending up another ball? Both?
    IMG_6126_(resized).JPG
    IMG_6124_(resized).JPG
    The wires for that switch emerge down here.
    IMG_6134_(resized).JPG

Another function of that switch is to lock-out features that are active such as " make selections before shooting 4th ball". The switch confirms when the "4th ball" is shot, thus, locking out selectable features.

#27 2 years ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

Another function of that switch is to lock-out features that are active such as " make selections before shooting 4th ball". The switch confirms when the "4th ball" is shot, thus, locking out selectable features.

True!

In Golden Gate's case, opening that switch will trip the before 4th, and before 5th and after 5th lock relays. It knows to do this based on the position of the timer unit. There are also trips for the feature before 5th and after 5th which will trip when the game awards or you hit the rollovers.

#28 2 years ago

Wow. My typos are pretty spectacular these days.

Eh, nobody cares. (OK, so we're all secretly judging you!)

As you can see, the difference is wire bundles for each row. Also may require periodic adjustment.

The wiring runs the same on this game. The $64,000 question is, are those switches NO or NC? The switches on the Golden Gate are NO so if this setup works the same I have a good solution. You know what? Doesn't matter. I can make them NO and it will work. By mounting the switches to the shutter board, the bottom of the play field will remain relatively intact and the graphics will show nicely! Thanks! Great suggestion. May only require a slight adjustment to the cut outs on the new shutter board.

#29 2 years ago

http://www.marcospecialties.com/control/keywordsearch?SEARCH_STRING=180-5054-00

Something like this where I can bend the end of the longer blade at a 90 and then place it like your picture so the ball will close it when it drops in.

#30 2 years ago

The switches are indeed still normally open.

1 week later
    #31 2 years ago

Twas just a short pause last weekend because the weather turned spectacularly perfect for.... pouring concrete. After 4 months of busting butt on the all important prep work I was finally ready, the weather was right and the concrete company had an opening. And I was able to convince two sucke... umm great guys from work to come and help lay, push and finish it. #giantkickassdriveway

Back to the game and I have to wonder what in the hay these industrial sized and strength staples are doing there? Seriously. Did the Bally bingo division come across a close-out sale at a furniture manufacturer? These things were tough to remove. (Normal sized staple in the back ground.)
    IMG_6270_(resized).JPG

I also had a bit of a time removing the two buttons at the bottom of the play field. I was able to remove one with no problem. The other, not so much. Preliminary research shows nobody carries anything like these. Maybe you bingo guys can point me in the right direction?
    IMG_6272_(resized).JPG
    IMG_6271_(resized).JPG

After removing the wiring harness and the mech for controlling the shuttle board all that was left was the rows of switches that tell the machine when a ball is in a specific hole. OK! The back is clear of obstructions, time to get busy on the front. It appears that the rails and arch are held to the play field with medium sized nails. Hopefully they come out a little easier than the large staples that held the wire harness in place. The posts will be knocked out from the bottom with a small nail set.

IMG_6275_(resized).JPG

1 week later
    #32 2 years ago

Disassembly continues. Removed the apron cards revealing the serial number.
    IMG_6278_(resized).JPG

Pried off the apron and the remaining wood surrounds.
    IMG_6277_(resized).JPG

The colors were pretty vibrant when first applied back in '62.
    IMG_6282_(resized).JPG

Now to remove the rest of the upper hardware. I need a nice flat surface to scan the images from.
    IMG_6284_(resized).JPG

#33 2 years ago

In for the journey! Keep the updates coming.

#34 2 years ago

Completely stripped. Ready for cleaning and scanning.
    IMG_6286_(resized).JPG

#35 2 years ago

Can't wait to see more. Golden Gate is for sure the top of the line and one of the most sought after bingos in the hobby.

#36 2 years ago

Shopping day! The second of my two less-than-contractor-grade garage lights finally went kaput so I used the occasion to get a couple of 4 light shop lights. I can see with the door closed again! The first stop, of course, was the plastics shop where I get my raw material. One quarter sheet of 1/4" and a quarter sheet of 1/2". I also remembered to pick up a 72" straight edge that I meant to get two years ago. The 1/2" will become the playfield and the 1/4" will be the shuttle board.
    IMG_6292_(resized).JPG

Later, I took some preliminary measurements of hole sizes. I also took note of the angle of the hole edges. 12.5 degrees or so...
    IMG_6295_(resized).JPG

A few early scans. These will be broken down into line drawings for simplicity's sake.
    PTDC0003_(resized).JPG
    PTDC0005_(resized).JPG
    PTDC0001_(resized).JPG

#37 2 years ago

Is that cellulite on her leg???

#38 2 years ago

Love seeing updates to this thread.

#39 2 years ago
    Quoted from SunKing:

Love seeing updates to this thread.

+1

#40 2 years ago

First attempt. Waaay too slow. Need a boatload more RPMs.

WP_20160204_09_19_28_Pro_(resized).jpg

#41 2 years ago

There. That's much better.

WP_20160204_10_37_55_Pro_(resized).jpg

#43 2 years ago
    Quoted from Mk1Mod0:

There. That's much better.

WP_20160204_10_37_55_Pro_(resized).jpg

Hey Mike, I got 25 holes just like that on my Can Can. I think this project will be a success!

Steve J.

#44 2 years ago

Thanks! Yeah, I was gonna say one down 24 to go, but it's just a test piece. Doing a little proof of concept before I move to the real piece. Large cuts and light edging tomorrow.

#45 2 years ago

Play field plus side rails and inner shooter lane rail.

IMG_6301_(resized).JPG

Shuttle board.

IMG_6302_(resized).JPG

Forstner city.

IMG_6303_(resized).JPG

#46 2 years ago

mmmmm, Forstners....

#47 2 years ago

Everybody remembers what this thing is for, right? I'm actually very happy I found it as it took three tries to get it right the first time... (Must be the new shop lights!)
    IMG_6306_(resized).JPG

#48 2 years ago

Unlike the last play field, this one has a lot of pressed in parts. Easy in wood which compresses well, not so much in acrylic. If the hole is too big, it will pop back out. Too small and I run the risk of a crack as it gets hammered in. ("Is this a robbery?" "No... its a science experiment!")
    These are the parts I'll need to secure.
    IMG_6308_(resized).JPG

Next I'll get a piece of leftover material and drill a succession of holes to try.
    IMG_6310_(resized).JPG

As predicted, one size is too large and the next down too small. With this pin, I found if I wobbled the bit just a touch, it could be hammered in without too much effort but tight enough that it won't come back out easily. Getting it back out required enough effort to convince me.
    IMG_6311_(resized).JPG

#49 2 years ago

These pins seemed to hammer into the next hole up quite well with no wobbling. Perfect! This is a pic of the pin sinking into the biggest hole. 3/16" was the sweet spot.
    IMG_6312_(resized).JPG

Finally, the majority of the post screws are #6 with a few #8 thrown in on the longer reaches. I already have extensive notes on those. Easy day.
    IMG_6313_(resized).JPG

#50 2 years ago

Another ambitious project. Very nice!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 86.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 7,499.99
    Pinball Machine
    Little Shop Of Games
    $ 29.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Full Tilt Pinball LEDs
    $ 67.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 18.99
    $ 29.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 248.00
    $ 2.00
    Various Other Swag
    Project Pinball Charity
    $ 99.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 229.00
    Flipper Parts
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 7,199.00
    Pinball Machine
    Classic Game Rooms
    $ 129.00
    Lighting - Led
    LED OCD
    $ 8.50
    Lighting - Led
    Bright Lights Pinball
    $ 6.00
    Electronics
    German-Pinball-Modular
    $ 36.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    $ 26.95
    Playfield - Protection
    ULEKstore
    $ 76.00
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 99.00
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Docquest Pinball Mods
    There are 232 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 5.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside