New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 110027)

Clearcoating PF on a new game?

By Roostking

6 years ago

Topic Stats

• 36 posts
  • 17 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by Baiter
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 11 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

Williams_1989_Black_Knight_2000_An_Important_Message_To_Operators.pdf (PDF preview)
image-459.jpg
image-969.jpg
image-486.jpg
image-464.jpg
image.jpg
image-101.jpg
image-206.jpg
image-936.jpg
image-560.jpg
image.jpg

#1 6 years ago

Hi All. In another thread on related to restoration, it was asked what some one would do with $10,000 for a game room. One of the posters said they would get all of their playfields clear coated and showed some pins with smooth as ice playfields. Is this something that can be done on a new game? I have MetLE and those pics make the playfield look awesome. Is this something people normally do on a new game, can it be done on a new game?

Thanks!

#2 6 years ago

Sure, you could do it to a new game, but at a minimum you'd want to pull the playfield and remove everything from the top and hit the existing clear with 1000 grit sandpaper to give the new clear some tooth so the new clear will adhere properly. Not to mention remove any mylar that came from the factory. A lot of work for a brand new game, so no, people don't normally do it.

#3 6 years ago

I cleared my TronLE and it plays insane.

No different than when someone buys a new Mustang and gets it rubbed out to perfection.

#4 6 years ago

OK thanks for the opinions. The way those playfields looked makes it possibly worth it, but on the other hand, this is my first pin, so its probably not a good idea to be taking it apart just yet lol..

#5 6 years ago

Met for your first pin..... Nice Start!

#6 6 years ago

Indeed.

#7 6 years ago

Yea for sure. I'm a video game lover and played pins back in the day, but never really thought I would buy a pinball machine, let alone a new one. Well, my buddy who is into pins "heard" Metallica was being produced. Well without knowing anything about the pin, art, music, I was in as Metallica has been my favorite band since the 80s. Total score for sure, and now it has me looking for a couple more.

#8 6 years ago

"how to waste $10,000"

#9 6 years ago

I have 10 new stern and I have cleared 5 of them

image.jpg image-560.jpg image-936.jpg image-206.jpg image-101.jpg
#10 6 years ago

Couple moreimage-459.jpgimage-969.jpgimage-486.jpgimage-464.jpgimage.jpg

#11 6 years ago

Most pinball hobbyists probably have some degree of OCD to begin with. Some just have more than others.

#12 6 years ago

Yep, those are the games I saw that made me think about it. That just looks awesome!!

#13 6 years ago
Quoted from Roostking:

Yep, those are the games I saw that made me think about it. That just looks awesome!!

my Metallica Master of puppets is next.

#14 6 years ago

Stern should offer this as a premium service so you have an OE built game - with a badass clear coat

I'd pay an extra $1000 for Kruzman cleared PF

#15 6 years ago
Quoted from tatman9999:

my Metallica Master of puppets is next.

You just had to throw that in there, didnt you haha. Can you document the process? Or at least snap some pics???

#16 6 years ago

What's the difference between the clearcoat Stern puts on and what everyone is talking about here?

Thickness?

#17 6 years ago
Quoted from Captain_Kirk:

What's the difference between the clearcoat Stern puts on and what everyone is talking about here?
Thickness?

That's like asking about the difference between Ford's clearcoat and the clear you would get in a custom shop.

The custom shop's clear looks like glass, not orange peel.

#18 6 years ago

The quality in the product used i'm guessing.

#19 6 years ago

Thickness?

From what I've been seeing Sterns clearcoat must be 1 micron thick and only hit about 89.54% of the playfield! I've been seeing wear on newer machines (some with only a couple hundred plays) and that just shouldn't be happening.

My routed 2+ decade old HSII Diamond Plated playfield looks better than most of the 2-5 year old Stern playfields I've seen......at that's crazy.

#20 6 years ago
Quoted from Astropin:

My routed 2+ decade old HSII Diamond Plated playfield looks better than most of the 2-5 year old Stern playfields I've seen......at that's crazy.

Probably because the Stern manuals mistakenly say to use Novus2 on them rather than wax.

#21 6 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Probably because the Stern manuals mistakenly say to use Novus2 on them rather than wax.

Seriously?

#22 6 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

heh

#23 6 years ago

Yep, it says "Novus Wax #2".

#24 6 years ago
Quoted from tatman9999:

I have 10 new stern and I have cleared 5 of them

What's the total number of man-hours for the clear coating process of a new game; from dis-assembly to clear coating to assembly? The playfields look just marvelous, BTW.

#25 6 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Oh, yeah, about Novus #2. Do not use it on a new or newish HUO game, or probably ever on a HUO game. I learned the hard way.

I used it on one of my games that maybe needed cleaning, after owning it for a year. Before cleaning the PF was shiny. After using Novus #2, even with light rubbing, the PF surface became a bit cloudier, and no matter how much waxing I did, the bright & shiny playfield was no more. Very sad...

#26 6 years ago
Quoted from BestShot31:

What's the total number of man-hours for the clear coating process of a new game; from dis-assembly to clear coating to assembly? The playfields look just marvelous, BTW.

10-20 hours depending on game. That includes clearing sanding buffing.

#27 6 years ago

Dang, you're fast. I can't even image putting a stripped PF back together in 20 hours.

I'd LOVE to do this to my MET and TFLE. The clear on my Avengers, ST and AC/DC looks pretty good already. MET and TFLE seem like they could use some love though.

Those LOTR PF's look amazing. Great color on them. I'm not a huge fan of the gameplay but wouldn't mind owning one for just the art and colors.

#28 6 years ago

I have seen people clear a playfield with leaving all the under parts still attached. Is that what you are doing Tatman?

#29 6 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Yep, it says "Novus Wax #2".

Ever point that out to Ritchie? I know you've had contact with him in the past.

That needs to be REMOVED!

#30 6 years ago

Ever point that out to Ritchie? I know you've had contact with him in the past.
That needs to be REMOVED!

Yep, he just groans.

It's boilerplate that gets copied from one manual to the next. Nothing under his control. (remember back at Williams, SR used to write his own "mini manuals" of how to properly align and set up his games because the Williams manual was crap).

SR says wax up your playfields with WAX and let 'er rip.

Look how much effort SR took to put this together:

Williams_1989_Black_Knight_2000_An_Important_Message_To_Operators.pdf

#31 6 years ago
Quoted from futurepinhead:

I have seen people clear a playfield with leaving all the under parts still attached. Is that what you are doing Tatman?

Some games I leave it on. If people ship me play fields they remove everything.

#32 6 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Yep, he just groans.
It's boilerplate that gets copied from one manual to the next. Nothing under his control. (remember back at Williams, SR used to write his own "mini manuals" of how to properly align and set up his games because the Williams manual was crap).
SR says wax up your playfields with WAX and let 'er rip.
Look how much effort SR took to put this together:

Williams_1989_Black_Knight_2000_... 1.4 MB

Well Gomez should now better. He's the VP of games now.

#33 6 years ago

What do you use to keep the clear from getting on the underplayfield goodies? I have seen people use painters tape before, and I have heard of putting old bulbs in the sockets. When you remove the painters tape do you have to dremel the clear coat to open the holes?

#34 6 years ago
Quoted from futurepinhead:

What do you use to keep the clear from getting on the underplayfield goodies? I have seen people use painters tape before, and I have heard of putting old bulbs in the sockets. When you remove the painters tape do you have to dremel the clear coat to open the holes?

blue painters tape. for the bulb I cut ear plugs in half.

2 months later
#35 5 years ago

Wow - Nice - My wife and I played a Soprano's last year at Pinfest and it quickly hit the top of our wishlist!

Those look sweet!

I would definitely consider clearcoating a new pin.

I agree - the pin manufacturers should consider offering 2 PAC as a special option - it would be worth the cost.

#36 5 years ago
Quoted from Pinterest:

Wow - Nice - My wife and I played a Soprano's last year at Pinfest and it quickly hit the top of our wishlist!
Those look sweet!
I would definitely consider clearcoating a new pin.
I agree - the pin manufacturers should consider offering 2 PAC as a special option - it would be worth the cost.

It will never happen, pinball manufacturers hate customization claiming it's too much extra work. Stern used to advertise extra CC on the LEs but seems to have downplayed that in more recent games.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 64.00
Machine - For Sale
Spokane Valley, WA
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
$ 34.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
COINTAKER.COM
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
MI Pinball Refinery

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside