Topic Stats

• 6 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by Mitch
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 4 years ago

Hey guys, I took my South Park playfield down to the Auto Body Shop and had them shoot it with an automotive clearcoat which turned out GREAT! My question is this, do you think I should re-install new mylar pieces down around the three jet bumpers and in front of the slingshots? Thanks in advance for input and opinions.

#2 4 years ago
Quoted from Dmoore11:

Hey guys, I took my South Park playfield down to the Auto Body Shop and had them shoot it with an automotive clearcoat which turned out GREAT! My question is this, do you think I should re-install new mylar pieces down around the three jet bumpers and in front of the slingshots? Thanks in advance for input and opinions.

Yes.

#3 4 years ago
Quoted from Dmoore11:

Definitely. Give the clear enough time to cure , at least 2 months , wax and then apply your Mylar.

#4 4 years ago
Quoted from phototamer:

Definitely. Give the clear enough time to cure , at least 2 months , wax and then apply your Mylar.

I like to wait about 10 weeks to see the final die back for a final sanding and machine polishing.

Then wax plus mylar.

Installing posts before 10 weeks risks halo and pooling.

You can also get ghosting later on if the clear isn't fully outgassed and bonded.

The smell test is a good way to determine if its ready to assemble.

You should not be able to smell any solvents coming off.

#5 4 years ago

On the original question... For home use with an automotive clearcoat mylar is a bit overkill in that area in my opinion. VUK exits sure but I doubt you will be putting thousands of plays on that game without general cleaning. Congrats on a fun restoration.

#6 4 years ago

Around pops yes. Slingshots never.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Springfield, IL
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 19.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

Machine - For Sale
Elkhart, IN
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 0.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 0.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

Machine - For Sale
Auburn, WA
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 17.00
Cabinet - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 9.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

5,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Milan, IL
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/clearcoat-mylar-question and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.