(Topic ID: 233506)

Clearcoat an overlay, or use a PET-G protector ?

By seeburg220

5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 5 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by GPS
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Clear coat OR clear play field protector ?”

• Clear coat the top of the printed overlay 2 votes
    40%
  • Don't clear coat the top; just use a clear pet-g protector 3 votes
    60%

(5 votes)

#1 5 years ago

If you have clear coated over top of a printed overlay, OR instead, have just used a clear pet-g protector, I'd like to hear about it. Trying to decide which to use. I have clear coated the bare wood play field, and will apply the printed overlay in 2-4 weeks. After that, I'm just not sure if I should clear coat the topside of the overlay or just use a clear pet-g protector ?

https://www.playfield-protectors.com/22/Playfield-Protectors

#2 5 years ago

FWIW I have a clear coated WPC playfield that was CC'd over some mylar. (Spot mylar not full playfield). This was done by Bill Davis, years ago, and he knew what he was doing from what I hear. Personally I do not have that experience (cc'ing) to offer any insight though.

#3 5 years ago

I would think that you do not need to cc your pf after laying on of these down. I would hit up vid1900 and see what he has to say.
Read this incorrectly. We all know that if you cc you will have dimples as for PET-G, I do not know never seen one after a couple months of play.

#4 5 years ago

I just bought a eight ball that had the overlay done and had the playfield protector also. The only bad thing I'm having is that the ball will skip over the roll over if it goes fast as there is a void in the plastic on each side of the roll over. I even trimmed two inches below the roll over and didn't help. I may try a couple more inches off after I put a new clear roll over in. I also checked the contact and that is spaced close as I can get it. Other than that it works great. I have the playfield protectors on Taxi and whirlwind for a couple of years now that they still look good. If you wait a little bit I think Hardtop is going to make one for eight ball. I've done space shuttle and firepower that's the way to go!

#5 5 years ago

I have a protector on my Atlantis and it is great. No issues. I vote for the overlay

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 859.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

11,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Homer Glen, IL
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Forest City, PA
$ 179.00
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 29.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 15.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

$ 25.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Machine - For Sale
Mesa, AZ
$ 30.00
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/clearcoat-an-overlay-or-use-a-pet-g-protector- and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.