Clear Sticker on the Playfield??

By HK-Steve

14 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 14 years ago

Hi Everyone,
I was just doing a clean of the playfield and found 1x clear sticker over the Last Crusade target arrow. I have seen the ball hit this sticker and direct it along the top of the sticker and then sends it down the side drain.

I looked on the entire playfield and found no others, So maybe it was missed when unpacked and tested before delivering to me, it is NIB IJ 2008.

From what I can see, I can just remove it with no worries,
Has anyone else found something like this??
It is normal to find stickers on a new pin?

I have attached a pic.

Appreicate any replies.

Cheers
Steve

http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j184/HK-Steve/IMG_3795.jpg

#2 14 years ago

not too familiar with the new IJ and gameplay, but it probably is a piece of mylar to protect the playfield from the ball dropping in that spot, or a high traffic area? Probably the best way to preserve your playfield. I wouldn't remove it unless it really bothers you.

this is a good clip on how to remove it without playfield damage

#3 14 years ago

Steve, could you be talking about a mylar sticker? Not sure if you're familiar with the concept, let me explain.

Back in the days (before games had that mega-strong clear coat layer often known as diamond plating) games would often have full playfield mylars to protect the playfield and especially the areas between wood and insert. These would go all over the playfield.

Then, when diamond plated playfields started to become more common (around 1990 I think it was) the mylars would only be placed in problem areas where there's many ball activity. Such mylars would be much smaller, often next to the slingshots, in the pop-bumper areas and sometimes in front of kick outs. You know, places where a ball often travels or follows the same path all the time.

As coatings got better and better I think we're seeing less and less mylars but they can still be found, even in the recent Stern games. I believe your sticker is in fact a mylar. Is this an area that has many frantic ball activity over it?

My advice is always to leave the mylar in place if it's still looking nice and transparent and not bothering the ball (unlike in your case where it is). Otherwise you could remove it, maybe using a sticker remover product like "Goo-Gone". It is probably not needed when a game is only home use as opposed to the games that are played much more often in arcades. You must decide for yourself.

#4 14 years ago

Never played the game but it looks like there is a kick out hole there. I would leave the mylar on there. I just played a Starship troopers which had a 4" long trough worn thru the playfield and deep into the wood right under the hole. I have never seen one worn so deep. The rest of the playfield wasn't bad. I would also see if Cliffy makes a protector for those holes. If you do remove the mylar, I would put Pinball Pal's stealth protectors on to protect that area. They use static cling to stick onto the playfield and are removable.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 59.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 59.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 70.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Creekside Hideaway, LLC

Machine - For Sale
Plainfield, IL
$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

$ 59.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 38.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

$ 17.00
Cabinet - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/clear-sticker-on-the-playfield and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.