(Topic ID: 327297)

Clear sprayed over inserts crackled--what to do next time?

By astevens

1 year ago

Topic Stats

• 9 posts
  • 8 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by astevens
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20221209_204317 (resized).jpg
    20221209_204306 (resized).jpg
    #1 1 year ago

We're doing our first hardtop and have apparently prepped the inserts poorly so far. I sprayed with clear, but it's crackled and cracked. It looks like maybe it was sprayed too thick? I used Krylon Triple Thick, which from what I understand is supposed to be a thick, "full wet" coat. I plan to just resand and maybe try sanding the inserts to a high grit and using Novus to polish. But any suggestions for next time? Was this just the wrong clear to use? (Just a note that I'm not up for using a 2-part automotive clear for this.)

20221209_204306 (resized).jpg20221209_204306 (resized).jpg20221209_204317 (resized).jpg20221209_204317 (resized).jpg
    #2 1 year ago

I would not use triple thick for that… instead try Minwax rattle can “fast drying” clear poly. I used on Space shuttle a couple years ago and it came out decent.

#4 1 year ago

That is a reaction with something on the insert. Sand it down and clean it to make sure there isn’t any contaminants before re clearing it.

#5 1 year ago

Yes I don't think it was really clean before spraying and light coats let dry sand ,clean coat again until it comes out good then wet sand with 1500 grit then buff

#6 1 year ago

Non-yellowing water-based polyurathane or varathane are typically the family of products folks seem to use if automotive clear coat isn't an option.

Triple thick isn't really the right product to use in this situation.

#7 1 year ago

On that era playfield it will be crucial that the inserts are stripped bare of any factory coating prior to clearing.
    I probably would not use triple thick either.
    Not really well versed on the spray can clears but whatever the community suggest is probably a reliable source in that regard.
    The System 11 playfields are notorious for this reaction and even some prior but within that timeframe.
    The coating used on the initial screening just did not bond well with the plastic inserts. As a result pretty much anything you spray on them acts as a stripper and loosens the factory finish from the insert.
    If there is no factory finish then the problem is solved prior to recoating.

#8 1 year ago

Sand the inserts then use SprayMax straight urethane two part. You can only buy this stuff online and be sure to use a mask.

#9 1 year ago

This is all super helpful, everyone. Thank you! Removing the triple thick is turning out to be a nightmare, but I now have options once I do get it off. Thanks!

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/clear-sprayed-over-inserts-crackled-what-to-do-next-time- and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.