(Topic ID: 248308)

Clear Ramp Restoration: Headlight Cleaner?

By SantaEatsCheese

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 18 posts
  • 12 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by schudel5
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20190728_172914 (resized).jpg
20190728_165056 (resized).jpg
20190728_172852 (resized).jpg
#1 4 years ago

So I picked up a White Water (Amazing Game) but the ramps are pretty hazy. Is there a specific way to clean these? When I went through autozone I saw this headlight cleaner stuff and it makes me wonder if it would work. Thought? Ideas? Suggestions? Links?

20190728_165056 (resized).jpg20190728_165056 (resized).jpg20190728_172852 (resized).jpg20190728_172852 (resized).jpg20190728_172914 (resized).jpg20190728_172914 (resized).jpg
#2 4 years ago

Google "flame polish"

https://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-Flame-Polish-Plastic/
Practice on some scraps first until you get the hang of it...
EDIT: that was the first link I found...may not be the best, look around and you will find some usefull info..

#3 4 years ago

I'd find an old ramp somewhere before you practice a first time flame polish job on a WW. It's not as "hard" as it may seem, but it's an acquired skill, and any prior experience, even if just a little, will make all the difference in the end result.

Look on pinside for guides.

#4 4 years ago

Novus 2 works. I've used it more than a few times on ramps and have had great results

#5 4 years ago

Any fine automotive polishing compound will work fairly well.

#6 4 years ago

Novus 2 and then Flame Polish

#7 4 years ago
Quoted from Bohdi:

Novus 2 works. I've used it more than a few times on ramps and have had great results

Ditto^^. I used a soft polishing wheel and a drill.

I've seen some rather impressive posts here with the flame polishing - never tried it tho.

#8 4 years ago

Please remember, if you don't clean the ramp first you're just going to MELT the dirt into the ramp forever.

Novus 2 & headlight cleaner are all doing the same thing and Novus is cheaper. Then you can go clean your headlights with it.

#9 4 years ago

I have used both a flame and a very hot heat gun I have. I like the heat gun better because I find that I have more control.
YMMV.

#10 4 years ago
Quoted from PinballAir:

I have used both a flame and a very hot heat gun I have. I like the heat gun better because I find that I have more control.
YMMV.

That's interesting to know. I'm guessing it takes a little longer than a flame and not directed as well as a flame? if so, any warping issues?

#11 4 years ago
Quoted from PinballAir:

YMMV.

I’m curious what you use

#12 4 years ago

Either the flame or the heat gun can soften the ramp. It takes practice and patience.
On my test ramp, I also got the plastic to bubble with the torch, not good.
As I said , I have used both depending on situation
The results can be dramatic

#13 4 years ago

I believe in flame polishing ramps to clear up ramps. I use a standard propane torch that you can pick up and any hardware store. I use novus 2 like suggested above to clean heavy scratches. I move to novus 1 to do a fine polish then clean with soap and water for a final cleaning. With the torch i use you have to be moving fast and pay close attention to make sure you get a uniform finish.

All in all flame polishing is the way to go in my book. I would get something to practice on first to get the hang of it. Goodluck

#14 4 years ago

So what do you guys do if there's decals on the underside of the plastic?

#15 4 years ago

i wouldn't recommend flame polishing if you haven't ever done it. ive done many ramps, and it takes a lot of practice and is very, very easy to mess up a ramp quickly. some ramps polish great, others won't polish. for instance.... your lower to upper ramp cannot be flame polished. the ramps of whitewater are not the ramps you want to learn on. too big and heavy. anytime you heat up one end, the weight of the ramp is gonna cause it to bend where you don't want it too. stick to short ramps for learning on. very short spurts of heat and keep torch moving or it will bubble. if you take torch over a crack or split, it will make it 10x worse. clean thoroughly with dawn dishwashing liquid and remove all dirt from ramp before applying heat. can't polish where there is a decal either.

#16 4 years ago

Whitewater's ramps are pretty forgiving.

#17 4 years ago
Quoted from mbwalker:

So what do you guys do if there's decals on the underside of the plastic?

Ive had pretty good luck flame posihing ramps with decals. Remember your not really getting the ramp real hot. Your heating the ramp up just enough to blend all the imperfection together and smooth out. As long as your moving quick on the opposite side of the decal you should be ok. Do not put heat on the bare decal or it will burn it. You must stay on the opposit side.

#18 4 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Whitewater's ramps are pretty forgiving.

Not the whirlpool funnel. It gets real thin near the end that goes through the playfield. I let it get too hot once and it deformed slightly in a hurry. Deformed just enough the ball would get stuck. Luckily it was right at the end so I had to cut an inch off the end. But pretty much the other ramps are fairly thick.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

12,610 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mapleton, UT
$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 12.95
$ 69.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 5.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 34.99
Rubber/Silicone
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 84.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
FlyLand Designs

$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 9.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

17,250 (OBO)
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 30.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

7,699 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Evansville, IN
$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

$ 10.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 225.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Lighting - Interactive
Pinball Z

$ 60.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 225.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 12.95
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Pimp

Machine - For Sale
Indian Land, SC
$ 189.00
Playfield - Plastics
Starcade Amusement

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/clear-ramp-restoration-headlight-cleaner and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.