(Topic ID: 106276)

Clear pop bumper skirts... why not?... 3 years later: WHY YES!

By goingincirclez

4 years ago

Topic Stats

• 20 posts
  • 13 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by jmountjoy111
  • Topic is favorited by 5 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 6 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

ThingyGoldSilverTxt (resized).jpg
BumperSkirtRC_03-6035 (resized).jpg
BumperBody640 (resized).jpg
SSPopFloat3 (resized).jpg
SSPopFloat1 (resized).jpg
SSPopFloat2 (resized).jpg

#1 4 years ago

OK, so I'm spiffing up my new-to-me and oops-this-became-a-project Williams Space Shuttle, and I've had to remove the pop bumpers.

To my surprise and delight, there is quite a bit of artwork beneath them, that ties into that space-scaffolding theme in the area. It really looks awesome, and it's kind of a shame nobody ever sees it (you have to wonder why it was put there).

Since I probably should replace the bodies and other parts, I decided to maybe mod the bumpers while at it. Especially, a clear skirt would be AWESOME as it would reveal that artwork beneath.

But apparently, pop bumper skirts are Inverse Model T's: you can have any color - red, orange, yellow, green, teal, blue, purple, black, white... seemingly everything *except* clear! Yet every other part of the bumper *is* available in clear... ARRRGH!

I've looked high and low from the known pinball suppliers, ebay, amazon, etc. There's one site in Europe that has a "translucent white" but I'm not convinced that would offer the effect I want, much less for paying a USD-Euro conversion and overseas shipping and wait time, etc.

So is there a reason clear plastic is not used or offered on skirts? Have I not stumbled on the double-secret supplier yet, or am I simply out of luck?

Post edited by goingincirclez: me spell good now

#2 4 years ago

Clear would be sweet. Do you think they would show signs of wear and would cloud up quickly?

#3 4 years ago

Translucent plastics tend to be more brittle, it may simply not be practical for something that takes that kind of abuse.

#4 4 years ago

I'd considered both points. But it seems to me that:

- The white skirts on the machine seem to be the originals, and are neither offensively dirty nor badly scuffed. In fact, if dirt/wear were a concern, I'd expect that white and yellow wouldn't be popular at all in the first place.

- Brittleness is a concern and I agree that "most" clear plastics tend to be more brittle than their opaque counterparts. However, it seems to me that there are some softer ones out there that could work. Lord knows I've encountered them. Consider model cars: some have windshields that shatter if you sneeze on them - so yes that type of clear would be horrible on a pin skirt. BUT, others have windshields that can bend and flex and give to a degree and are just generally more durable. THAT latter formulation of clear material seems ideal for what I'm thinking... ?

#5 4 years ago

Clear would get scuffed up and dirty real fast.

#6 4 years ago

Clear would show the nail heads.

#7 4 years ago

Ah... that makes sense. As it happens though, on Space Shuttle they do blend pretty well into the art. I suppose other machines might have the same situation. Or other owners might be willing to live with that. Or paint them before a clear-coating, etc. I'm just surprised the option isn't out there - I mean, you can get clear pop bumper bodies, even though those show the ugly bulb sockets and mounting screws...

Now I suddenly wish I had a 3D printer. Anyone out there equipped with one and a skirt plan? I'd pay the materials to prototype this.

#8 4 years ago

You do the 3D STL files... I'm sure someone would be willing to print them in tglass or some other clear material.

1 year later
#9 3 years ago

I'm having the same issue. I found clear bodies, from an outfit in Germany. They also offered translucent white skirts, but not clear. I did order the white translucent, and you are correct, it's not going to give you the effect you want. They are milky and pretty much opaque. I'm building a display to show how each component works completely out of acrylic. I want every part to be clear in order to see all of the mechanics and wiring inside. I will email them and see if they can make the skirts out of clear material

#10 3 years ago

Clear or translucent skirts would trigger my OCD. Dirt all ways gets trapped under the skirt areas. And cleaning that area with q-tips would be painful.

2 years later
#11 1 year ago

Necro-thread ARISE! For, lookie what's been stealthily added to Marco's stock:

http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/03-6035-13

Huzzah! Over three years after I posed the question (one of my first dumb question-posts as a wide-eyed Pinside Noob!), bask in the glory of a clear skirt! Some said it couldn't be done but at last: the hidden truss-lattice superstructure in Space Shuttle's playfield art can now be revealed, and allow the entire nest to seemingly "float in space"!

SSPopFloat2 (resized).jpg

SSPopFloat1 (resized).jpg

SSPopFloat3 (resized).jpg

Time will tell just how dirty these get, but the white ones I replaced when I originally rebuilt them in October 2014 were pretty dang clean, as was beneath them... and this game has had thousands of plays including a show. So for the average Home Use game enjoying proper routine maintenance, this is a no-brainer to me.

Is art hidden under your skirts? Reveal it as the artist likely intended!

#12 1 year ago

I forgot all about this thread.
I've been selling Clear Pop bumper Bodies for the better part of a year.
I've imported them from pinball.center and they come in 7 colors.

Pop Bodies - 7 colors

#13 1 year ago
Quoted from Zitt:

I forgot all about this thread.
I've been selling Clear Pop bumper Bodies for the better part of a year.
I've imported them from pinball.center and they come in 7 colors.

Boy I remember these when you first started selling them, and I sure wish I’d remembered when I rebuilt my pops recently.!!! Those look awesome

#14 1 year ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Boy I remember these when you first started selling them, and I sure wish I’d remembered when I rebuilt my pops recently.!!! Those look awesome

The answer is to buy some now for the next time you shop a machine.
I'm looking into trying to find the source of the Bumper Skirts as I think they'd make an awesome addition to Pinball-Mods.com's transparent replacement parts collection.

#15 1 year ago

I bought some red pop skirts for my BAD. I didn't know it when i ordered them but the description says translucent. They should look pretty cool if that's the case.

1 week later
#16 1 year ago

I have ordered clear and transparent red skirts for our transparent replacement parts collection. Should ship from Germany on Monday.

#17 1 year ago

I'm pleased to report the shipment of translucent skirts have arrived from Germany and are now on our website.
At this time, they are only available in Red and Clear:
Red and Clear Skirts

Since we are dressing up Popbumpers; it's only fair that we try and hide some of the wiring with a custom made Pop Bumper Thingy. In addition to the regular silver; we are offering gold glitter. Gold & Silver Pop ThingiesThe gold is an exclusive color for our webshop and is laser cut here at our facility. As a result; we can customize the design with any color acrylic available. IF this interests you; drop us a line.

www.Pinball-Mods.com

#18 1 year ago

If someone tried selling me a game with clear skirts, I would deduct the time it takes to change them from the purchase price.

#19 1 year ago
Quoted from NYP:

If someone tried selling me a game with clear skirts, I would deduct the time it takes to change them from the purchase price.

Not me,
For the games that have the artwork going up all the way thru the pops I think this is a wonderful idea!
I really like the clear pops and skirts idea, the light would really shine thru.

#20 1 year ago
Quoted from NYP:

And I’m sure they would sell it to the next guy and not really bat an eye.... but hey it’s whatever

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 99.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Sales
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Machine - For Sale
Cincinnati, OH
$ 50.00
$ 20.00
Electronics
Yorktown Parts and Equip
$ 76.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Albuquerque, NM
$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.
$ 234.99
£ 55.00
Lighting - Led
PinballToys
$ 29.00

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside