You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

100_6702.jpg
vernis.JPG
#1 9 years ago

Hi,

I am finishing the touch-up of the playfield of my Cyclone. I didnot remove all parts so vernis spray is not suited. I used a paint brush for the firstclear coat layer and there are any imperfections.

Can someone advise about how to do the job with a brush and get a good result ?

Thanks in advance

#2 9 years ago
Quoted from jimy_speedt:

Can someone advise about how to do the job with a brush and get a good result ?

Short answer: you can't. The answer is to mask off the area you want to clear, cover everything else to avoid overspray, and spray. You're never going to get satisfactory results with a brush.

#3 9 years ago

Damn!
I removed the mylar, then brought some color touch ups. but I left most of the plots, wood, metallic parts ... Also I am not equipped for spraying clear coat

#4 9 years ago
Quoted from jimy_speedt:

Also I am not equipped for spraying clear coat

how about varathane in a rattle can?

#5 9 years ago

Varathane really dulls the colors.

2 part auto clear makes colors pop like the game is brand new.

#6 9 years ago

... I defer to vid's superior knowledge. no snarky.

can you get auto clear in a can, vid? Pardon my extreme ignorance, i always thought auto clear needed to be shot through a gun and was advising the varathane as a way around getting a bunch of equipment.

edit: i see you can but do you advise rattle can auto clear? I assume "no".

#7 9 years ago
Quoted from davewtf:

i see you can but do you advise rattle can auto clear? I assume "no".

I've never used it, so I don't have any recommendation about it.

I have heard people say they had spectacular results.

#8 9 years ago

I am curious about this as well. I'd love to add a layer of clear to just the shooter lane on my TZ, but I don't know enough to dare trying. Would love to hear if it's possible and, if so, how.

#9 9 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

I've never used it, so I don't have any recommendation about it.
I have heard people say they had spectacular results.

So far the Spraymax 2K playfield that I did has held up no problem, I think it's safe to endorse as a "newbie friendly" option, provided that people understand the prep work they still need to do, and follow proper safety procedures.

#10 9 years ago

A painting pad (pad bristles are about 1/8") works very well for applying poly. Works better for oil based, I learned this trick many years ago to apply oil poly to interior smooth wood doors. I have done several playfields with one and water poly. Thinning water based poly helps get a smoother application. The flow/leveling of the water poly will vary based upon the air temperature and humidity levels

#11 9 years ago

Hi, I have used a foam brush for clear coat applications. The key to getting the right results is sanding smooth and applying multiple coats, and a final sand and polish pass. I could see this being difficult without at least removing all upper playfield parts.

I used rattle cans of varathane in the past but was very unsatisfied with how dull it became. Using Polycrylic and a foam brush gives the paint a wet look.

#12 9 years ago

The OP should remove the topside playfield parts. I did 5 playfields, 3 of them upon final application of poly I was done, Leveled out nearly perfect. the other 2 did need a light sanding and polishing. Variations in temp. and humidity. All did require some block sanding between coats to level inserts/low touch up areas.

#13 9 years ago
Quoted from davewtf:

can you get auto clear in a can, vid? Pardon my extreme ignorance, i always thought auto clear needed to be shot through a gun and was advising the varathane as a way around getting a bunch of equipment.

At the car parts store a while ago I saw a kit so you can spray any kind of paint that doesn't come in a rattle can. Looked interesting but I didn't try it.

#14 9 years ago

You know what I did on my Gorgar with a couple minor touch ups. I got Wipe on Polyuerathane. you can get it in most hardware stores. You just wet a rag with it and rub or wipe it on the playfield with a smooth lint free rag. It came out nice and smooth. I did a couple coats then let it dry then a couple coats of wax. Worked great. Also works great for the ball trough area. The good thing is with this method it's really easy to control and you never get too much in one area, no brush marks, or you simply whipe it again to smooth it out. For spot touchups it's a great way to do it.

http://www.worldpaintsupply.com/minwax-60910-qt-satin-wipe-on-poly/

Tom

#15 9 years ago

Poly turns yellow, so you would not want to use it on any painted surfaces (unless it was the effect you are looking for).

#16 9 years ago
Quoted from Craig:

I am curious about this as well. I'd love to add a layer of clear to just the shooter lane on my TZ, but I don't know enough to dare trying. Would love to hear if it's possible and, if so, how.

Here's a link to very detailed instructions on repairing/clearcoating a shooter lane from Allen Shope of Treasure Cove. Very helpful, especially if you have no experience. Good luck!

http://www.treasure-cove.net/ShooterLaneRepair.htm

#17 9 years ago

Thanks! That almost looks like something even I could do. I have an old Bally ST playfield, so I can practice on that before I attempt to do anything to the precious TZ.

#18 9 years ago
Quoted from davewtf:

Clear in a rattle can is not made for using as a base coat. It is made for touch up and or initial coating. Rattle cans are 80% -90% air and about 10-20% solids the auto clear rattle can product. The reason you want to spray is auto clear when sprayed from a gun is 80-90% solids. Very little air.

You can get amazing results with a cheap gun and a cheap compressor. Much better then anything else mentioned here.

#19 9 years ago

Thank you all for you time. As one member mentionned, I will try with foam brush, because of the lack of space and an non appropriate environment for spraying.

#20 9 years ago

I've gotten better results with foam brushes than regular ones, but not on pinball machine pf's. "brushmarks" are much smaller and more consistent with the foam, so less work sanding to smooth. sixpakmopar's suggestions look VERY good to me, a thinned water poly is going to dry a little slower to lay down better smoother. homebrood's method is same as I usually go for LOTS of very thin even coats, it's tedious to getting to thick but it can deliver really smooth results. the thin coats dry fairly quick, they still need good cure time between them to avoid gumming up. you might also consider an airbrush for something like this, pretty tight control and very little-small overspray issues, maybe also allowing better quality clearcoat products. masking could be more minimal and easier too. no doubt about spraying being the better method for both better products and results.

#21 9 years ago

I love post like this, I learn so much.

#22 9 years ago

Because I had purchased the auto clearcoat, I tried with both brush/ foam brush. Because this varnish is extremely concentrated and gets dry quickly, I only managed to obtain big brush traces, thick spots, ... in short uggly work. I removed the 2 layers this aftn. and lost my touch-ups.

I joined a pic of the product. I do not know if it says something to someone. But maybe this product can be thinned or used in another way ?

Thanks again for the numerous reactions

NB: Based on the latest advices, I have ordered a Humbrol water poly varnish in the meantime, for airbrush spray.

vernis.JPGvernis.JPG

#23 9 years ago

Most if not all automotive paints/clears are meant to be diluted with a specific thinner for spray. They are not intended to be sprayed directly out of the can without adding the proportionate amount of thinner/reducer/ etc.
Here is a picture of the time warp playfield section. Not a complete picture of it because I lost the better ones when a computer crashed. Varathane water poly applied with a painting pad with Nothing done after the final coat other than a few coats of wax.100_6702.jpg100_6702.jpg

#24 9 years ago

Auto clears are ready to shoot right from the cans.

Nobody uses them in a brush-on application, so they don't need thinning for HVLP guns.

#25 9 years ago

youll probably really like the results with airbrush after some practicing. I really liked the single button double action paasche I used to play with, pressing down rocking forward-back was full control of air and paint spray mix, it takes some practice to get the feel. theyre such useful handy and inexpensive toys to have around for all kinds of little stuff, touchups, details etc. I oughtta pick up another, my last one was a couple decades ago, ouch.

#26 9 years ago

So Do I for the paintings. I have a Iwata Neo which is good enough for that kind of job. I did not know that I could also protect the playfield with an airbrush varnish

4 years later
#27 5 years ago

For the file

#28 5 years ago
Quoted from jimy_speedt:

Because I had purchased the auto clearcoat, I tried with both brush/ foam brush. Because this varnish is extremely concentrated and gets dry quickly, I only managed to obtain big brush traces, thick spots, ... in short uggly work. I removed the 2 layers this aftn. and lost my touch-ups.
I joined a pic of the product. I do not know if it says something to someone. But maybe this product can be thinned or used in another way ?
Thanks again for the numerous reactions
NB: Based on the latest advices, I have ordered a Humbrol water poly varnish in the meantime, for airbrush spray.
[quoted image]

The place you bought it from should have a reducer..a thinner in a way. Should give more time to work with it. I experimented with brushing 2k on a old playfield. Keeping a wet edge is almost impossible. I think you can create a awesome finished product but you need to take a obital to after and alot of time spent.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

Machine - For Sale
Copley, OH
$ 39.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 29.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 2.50
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 27.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

3,200 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Collegeville, PA

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/clear-coating-with-brush?hl=yellowghost and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.