Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 19 posts
  • 9 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by Nepi23
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

P1010323.JPG
    P1010322.JPG
    P1010321.JPG
    P1010320.JPG
    P1010319.JPG
    P1010083.JPG
    #1 12 years ago

Good idea? Bad idea? After new decals anyone put a nice thick clear on the cab?

Thoughts?

#2 12 years ago

I have sprayed (rattle can) cabinets, after I have touched them up.

This protects the touch up and also tends to blend them in better.

Not sure of clear would really protect the cabinet from the normal things that happen to them, like nicks and dings.

Robert

#3 12 years ago

I have a restored TAF with new cabinet decals and it was auto clear coated cabinet. It looks like nothing I have seen before.

#4 12 years ago

Sounds odd to me, but, to each his own.

#5 12 years ago

I'd like to see some pic's of a restores and auto cleared cabinet. I've been thinking about doing this myself.

#6 12 years ago

Thoughts? all i can think of is that it would look amazing.

#7 12 years ago

clear coated TAF

P1010083.JPGP1010083.JPG

#9 12 years ago

pic

P1010319.JPGP1010319.JPG

#10 12 years ago

pic

P1010320.JPGP1010320.JPG

#11 12 years ago

pic

P1010321.JPGP1010321.JPG

#12 12 years ago

pic

P1010322.JPGP1010322.JPG

#13 12 years ago

pic

P1010323.JPGP1010323.JPG

#14 12 years ago

Thanks for the pic. You can't tell much from the pic though. Guess that's why they call it clear coat. Is it worth doing? I guess what I'm asking is, in person, does it look good or great and how natural does it look? Does it have that " they should have done this when they made it" look?

#15 12 years ago
    Quoted from the_pin_family:

Thanks for the pic. You can't tell much from the pic though. Guess that's why they call it clear coat. Is it worth doing? I guess what I'm asking is, in person, does it look good or great and how natural does it look? Does it have that " they should have done this when they made it" look?

good question.. im curious as well.

I'm in the process of powder coating some pieces on my ToM and wonder if i should auto clear the cab to finish it

#16 12 years ago

Unless you have cash to burn, I don't see the benefit of clearing a non-rare pin cabinet. Clear isn't cheap by any means, but at the same time I would agree that it would be a great touch to any pin with decent/new decals on the cab.

#17 12 years ago

Agree with Nibbles.

#18 12 years ago

The clear looks unbelievable in person. It is the nicest cabine I have ever seen or have had. It may be a little over the top. You can not tell by the picture. It looks like a shiny new car.

3 years later
    #19 8 years ago

A noob question, but here it goes: which parts of the cabinet are clear-coated? Just over the decals and the back of the cabinet and backbox, but not the interiors or bottom?

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/clear-coating-the-cabinet and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.