Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 23 posts
  • 16 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by jimjam
  • Topic is favorited by 13 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

AD4DBDA8-C21D-47FE-9A3A-67BD70D71947 (resized).jpeg
    0505B730-5F61-4491-A526-6AB0FFDB4AF2 (resized).jpeg
    028.jpg
    60.00.jpg
    00066.jpg
    302.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider TheBigDog.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 6 years ago

I just put new decals on a machine. I noticed in the process that the new decals scratch or scuff with minimal contact. I was wondering if anyone has ever clear coated new decals? What they used? And if it helped?
    Thx!

#5 6 years ago

Thanks for the advice. Clear coating can be hit or miss I guess. Anything else to do to protect the paint on a decal after it’s already applied?

#16 6 years ago
    Quoted from BR80:

I've cleared a few cabinets with decals and haven't experienced anything like BK mentions above. I've only used Next Gen Decals and Two Part-Auto Clear (2PAC), so I can't speak for any other type of clear-coat and decals.
    If done with care, the results can be awesome. The machine is tough as nails and looks like glass. The 2PAC allows the pin to sit next to a window without fear of fading, protects it from scratches, edges of the decals will never lift, and the colors are more vibrant.
    In the unfortunate event the cabinet ever does get a good scratch, it can be buffed out. I'm not a professional and never cleared anything before this awful pinball hobby took over my free-time. It's not a simple or easy process and I'm still learning something new with each machine that gets done. It might not be worth it to everyone, but I plan on continuing to clear more cabs in the future.

Wow! Great work, nice examples! Do you clearcoat it yourself? Is it challenging to learn?

Quoted from swanng:

To each their own. I agree with the Black Knight. I only use wax with no petroleum distillates or silicones on my cabinet decals.

How does the wax look on the decals, that seems easier to do. Does it protect the ink very well?
    This game is out in the open, away from my other games, and in a high traffic area. Seeing how easily the decals developed fine scratches just in the application process, I would like something to protect them.
    I haven’t put the cabinet back together yet, and the playfield is still out, so taking it to a body shop to clearcoat isn’t out of the options.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider TheBigDog.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/clear-coating-cabinet-decals?tu=TheBigDog and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.